Home
There are two gunshops where I've done most of my buying of guns, accessories, handloading stuff, etc., over the past 20 years or so. One is one hour's drive to the north of where I live, in central Ontario, and the other is 1/2 hour to the south in southern Ontario. I visit their websites once or twice weekly browsing mostly for used large-bore centerfires that may be of interest. For example, I've looked for an M700 Remington Classic in 8mm Rem Mag for years, almost to no avail, and when one did show up too much was wanted for it.

Last week I did a survey of the website to the north... certainly one of the largest dealers of rifles in Canada with a huge selection of used rifles and a lot of daily turnover.

Here's an overview of what was available (really not a lot of surprises, but some: of 205 used centerfires (I didn't count the number of .22RF's but there were probably 75 and a hundred or so shotguns): fully 50% of the total were .30 cals (if 303 British is included, but only 6 of 'em)with the .308 Win leading the way with 40. Next the .30-06 with 21, followed by the .30-30 with 15. Other .30 cals were scattered, including a few 300 mags. Not many 270 W's = 9 + one 270WSM. There were quite a few one-of-a-kind= one7mmWBY, one 50BMG, one 25-06, one 223WSSM, one 318NE ($4000!!), one 340WBY, one 257AI, one 33Win, one 7mmRM (not many 7mm's), one custom 416 Taylor on an M70 ($1299), one 6.8SPC, one 32-20, one 338 Federal, one 9.3X74R (double)expensive... etc.

Then there were a few that piqued my interest: a 350RM in a Ruger 77 at $599. A Savage 116 stainless with accu-trigger, in 338WM, excellent condition for $679.

That's just an overview. It changes daily, and when something I may be interested in caliber-wise and in my price bracket appears, it seems to be grabbed by someone before I make up my mind...

What's your experience? grin

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
A 4-digit SN (12xx) Winchester Model 54, 95%+, factory Redfield receiver sight, .270 WCF. Out the door, for less than $500.

Ouch.............
For a while about 10 years ago, I'd see 60's-era Marlin 336's for CHEAP. Like, $125-$150. Bought one for my brother. Shoulda bought a few more.
Two that still haunt me:

Winchester Model 70 XTR Featherweight in .257 Roberts. Walnut and blued. Leupold 2-7x32 scope (one of the old Vari-Xs, can't remember if it was a Vari-X II or III). Excellent condition, no blemishes. Just a little bluing wear in all the right places.

Professionally sporterized .30-40 Krag. Walnut stock was well-sculpted with nice conservative lines and checkering. Bolt handle turned down. No rust on the metal. Aftermarket reciever-mounted peep sight (Lyman?). Not a trace of aluminum or plastic anywhere on that rifle, just well-cared-for blued steel and walnut.

In both instances I was trying to be "financially responsible" and hesitantly put them back on the rack. As I returned them to the rack I knew I would later regret it. I have ever since.

Rich
Savage 99 in .284 win... Nice one, too - priced accordingly. I was just about to move, and didn't have the scratch. Just about killed me for obvious reasons.
I recently had a Remington 600 in 350 Mag in my hands for $400, but I decided to think about it. It was gone quick. Years ago I saw a Winchester 100 Deluxe in 284 for $300 and had the money in my pocket but I decided against it.
Three Diamondbacks, less than five maybe three years ago; One 22, two 38's. Two were $350, a nickle was $375. All mint, hardly used.

Dammit!
Recently I walked away from an early, mint Winchester M63 22LR for a great price. Why? I had already bought a Kimber 22 Hunter that day, and had a momentary lapse of fiscal responsibility. Sometimes I hate being an adult!
A Rigby .275 with fitted case and original scope in England 1982 for 600 pounds minus the VAT, and several interesting Marlins for less than $200.
A .270 Husqvarna & an old .270 Weatherby with Weatherby scope, that I passed on about 4 years ago. I also keep thinking about a .243 Sako Forester that I sold about 25 years ago. I wish I hadn't sold it.
A few years ago I passed on a Winchester 88 in 90-95% condition. Thought it was just too highly priced.
Now everytime I see what they're going for I...... well, you know.
Since you confined the thread to cf rifles, I won't say anything about the 28ga model 12 skeet grade, like new that I let slip thru my fingers. I did let a beautiful Browning safari 375HH get away. I think the guy wanted 600 bucks for it. Still looking for one.
I hate I didn't buy a stainless and synthetic model 7 Remington that I let stay in a local shop a couple years back. It was a .223 and would have been a lot of fun. The price was right too. 425.00 or so, if I remember correctly.

A Remington 700 Classic chambered in 8mm Mauser when they were being closed out at 379.00.

i passed down a prewar 06 HB at $800.
I passed on a win model 71 for $200 at a gunshow. The bluing was worn off, but it wasn't rusty, and the barrel had been cut and crowned. Looked like a good shooter, but I wasn't sure at the time that I could get components for it.
About seven or eight years ago there was a guy who had a table at the local gunshow with an assortment of very nice Savage 99s, priced around $300.

Wasn't really interested in them at the time, but now that I am they are, of course, difficult to find around here and when available are fetching $600 amd more for like conditions.
Hakim 8 mm semi for $200, regret it because it felt right when it pointed ...let it go because at the time it was a week's pay. Never found another that handled like that one.
I've had some good deals so I shouldn't complain but I missed a Remington Model 7 stainless in 260 for $400 in the paper last week. I don't have the gun money anyway. Maybe I could have sold the wife on it being a gun for our boy on the way...
I missed a T/C hawken for $150 and all the equipment to boot but that's not a centerfire.
And I should have never let my 7mm Husqvarna (S&W model A)go, but I know where it lives and they guy said I could buy it back if I ever wanted. Funny thing: sold two rifles that year and they both killed bull elk and left me skunked. Like they were punishing me for selling them.
Missed a NIB M70 in .257 Roberts; had the box, tags, papers etc... for $875, about a week ago... mad
christenson arms .300 rum with nightforce nxs for $1900, couldnt justify the need for it.
Originally Posted by Redneck
Missed a NIB M70 in .257 Roberts; had the box, tags, papers etc... for $875, about a week ago... mad

PLEASE tell me it was a push feed and not a P64...
A couple that come to my mind are a Sako done by Iver Henrickson that Ronan Spts/Western had a few years back. Nothin fancy but man did it handle nice for me. Cal was 375 H&H.

And a 336 Guide in 35 that they made for a short bit.

Lastly, I'll mention a BB gun (shot gun)that got away from me. It's findable I know and some day will stick one away. But, I just love the old 870 Spcl Fields with the 21" tubes.

Spect there's others but those are kind of top of mind.

I did find an absolutely mint 742C the other day, it's an old 70's version and it was on my hit list of guns to stick away so I bought it. Should be a heck of a yote rig eh... grin

Dober
An old style Remington 700 TI in .270 at a gunshow for $700
I think it was around 1994 at a gun show in Saratoga Springs, NY.

A guy had a Savage 1920(?) bolt action in 250-300 with a G&H side mount and a Weaver K-4. I had a new baby on the way and couldn't part with $425. The rifle was in beautiful shape.

Dan
a cheap M670 winchester in 300 WM.

a savage all weather type (weather warrior?)restocked in a gray lam stock, stainless rifle in 375 H&H

a M100 win in .308

another M70 in 300 WM in brown lam stock.

A lefty classic sporter M70 in 338 WM, just cause I damn sure coulda turned it easy enough, it was cheap...

And a marlin lever action 410 shotgun, don't ask me why, i just liked it.

Every Sako Finnbear I've come across for sale.Bought a few but want them all.The reason....Gotta own one to understand.
Another Ljungman M42B in 6.5 Swede. I had one and gave it to my brother, and never found another one in nearly as good shape. I wish I had one now, but the good ones are all gone or priced out of the market.

Also passed on a 250 Savage in a Savage 99 with the 24" tube in excellent condition. I thought it was a bit pricey, and let it go. Shouldn't have.

That's life.
There have been many but the three that stand out most in my mind were a Valmet 412 o/u rifle in .375 Win. for $500, a Krieghoff Mauser in 8x68S for $900 and a Remington Seven Custom KS in 7mm BR for $600. Of course this was some time ago and the prices were probably about right for the time but all seem like steals today and I'll never see any of them again.
Almost forgot about the M7 KS in 350 Rem that I didn't snag a few years back in Reeds in Walker Minne.

Nuther one I shouldn't of done handle and release on.

Dober
watched as the clock ran out on this one....killed me not having the $

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129478640
A bubba'ed up 03A3 for 200 clams.
A slightly pitted Mauser 98k original at the same place at 250.

Both were gone when I came back two weeks later.
New SS/Syn MkV for $850 NIB in .257WBY ... didn't know Roy wasn't going to stop SS action production.

About 5 CZ American Safari Magnums!!! about 6-ish years ago they were in the high $600's low $700's (Sold here used for $550-ish. Now they're over a $1k new and recently saw a used one selling here for over $1k!! Friggin' crazy!
How about $400 for a nice Savage Model 99 in .303 Savage. Was poor as a church mouse at the time. Also found a pre 64 model 70 at an antique show for $650. The guy sold antique furniture and admitted he knew nothing about the gun. The gun was in near prefect condition. I went back the next day after mustering up some cash and the gun had been sold.
A model 70 SS FW CRF in 6.5x55 with a very nicely figured stock. Dooh.
there is a NIB pre 64 STD model 70 30-06 on the rack in my local shop,and I ain't got no toy money.
Originally Posted by 7 STW
Every Sako Finnbear I've come across for sale.Bought a few but want them all.The reason....Gotta own one to understand.

Found two minty ones at the Tulsa Gun Show; a 338 and 375. The 338 was unfired. I wanted 'em both, but they were a little steep (2,200 each). I know the feeling....

They were too damn nice for me to wreck.
There are two rifles,as much for the actions as the rifles them selves, A CIL FN '51 Mauser 30-06 for asking $150 and a Sako pre-Garcia Hunter 300WM for $500. The were both early in my gun buying career.I still kick myself over the CIL.
A new in box Winchester 70 Featherweight in 6.5x55. That will haunt me for awhile.
Worst ever was back in 1989...A Westley Richards Double in 7x57, 99%+ AAA wood, $7000
The worst part is that I had the money...and didn't use it.
Well, I used part of it to build a little wooden machine that kicks me in the azz every morning when I wake up...
Ingwe
I'll always regret not buying a new left hand Sako action with a B&C Medalist stock for $400 when Magnum Research was selling them as leftovers from the production of their own rifles and advertising them in Shotgun News.
Add a #2 contour Shilen barrel in .270 from Brownells for $155, rent a .270 Winchester reamer and thread and chamber the barrel myself and I'd have a darn nice LH 26" barrelled .270 for well under $700.
Still makes me sad that I didn't jump on it.
Nothing special but an older Remington 700 Mountain Rifle BDL style for $350 at a gun show in Austin. It was pretty clean. Also not buying a TI 700 in 30/06 or 270 win when they were on the shelves! mad
My circuit would overload and I would get the blue screen of death just thinking about it. What is wonderful about this sport/hobby is your next trip to the gun store could get you something that makes your hand shake and mouth dry.
A Remington 700 Classic .250-3000 for $375 in 2001.
A Remington 600 .35 Remington for $600 when I was stationed
in APG MD in 1987.
A Savage 99T .250-3000 for $595 in 2002, went back and
looked at it 2 or 3 times in a week period, girlfriend
said buy it, but I didnt.
Back in 1989 I passed up a...., I better stop.
When I was 18 and looking for my first real big game rifle that I could buy myself, I found a lightly used Rem Model 7 in 308 in the original KS stock (grey camo that came in at 5.25 lbs. from the factory). I wanted to think about it, so went home, rounded up the money, and went back to purchase it a few days later for $400. GONE!

That one still haunts me at times. OTOH, I went to the next gunshow in town with the goal of picking up a stainless synthetic Remington of any sort. Found one at the show, but sitting next to it was an XTR Featherweight with an HS synthetic at 6.25 lbs. Not knowing much of anything, I picked up both rifles and chose the Winchester because of the feel/weight. It was/is the best practical gun purchase I have ever made.

Another regret I have is not getting Brad's Kimber 308 a bit back. I was a few minutes late. It just came up for sale on Gunbroker the other night, and I came up a bit late again. Oh well....
A Ruger #3 in 30-40 Krag I saw at a Livingston, MT gun show a few years ago. $400 was the price and it was minty.
Our gunshows around here suck, good deals are almost nill. High prices even for junk.
The only one I regret not buying was a pre-war German Mauser in 8mm that had been sporterized - schnabel stock and blued, slick action with, as I recall, "Berlin" stamped on the receiver with the other markings. The owner was German and had picked it up in the early 60's.

Very nice rifle, $225 asking.

Idiot that I was, I passed. Still kick myself.
Every pre 64 M70 I have ever seen.....

Some post-war BRNO commercial rifles in 7x57.

Rifles by Brownell, Biesen,Goens,and Pilkington;stuff with metal by Burgess or Waldron,etc. I should never have passed them up....the cost of these was in the vicinity of $1000 shocked

This back when I was in college;no money.

Why? Because that was when they made true "custom" rifles.The term was not so loosely applied then as it is today.
A pre-64 Winchester 70 in .458 in 1976 for $1500.....
One of my "Buds" bought it after I showed it to him.He still has it and I get to see that nightmare a couple times a year...
Three of them:

1-15 years ago, a BRNO 21 7x57 with doble square bridges and with an original mounted old Meopta scope. Mint. U$S 500, I had..
2-5 years ago Browning Safari 30-06 with a Hendsoldt Diavari in claw mounts. U$S 1.500 (I had also...)
3-3 years ago, a MINT in a box, FN Supreme 30-06 with the rear bridge mounted peep sight... u$s 1.200 !!!!! (I had also, also....)

Well.....you know the feeling...

Regards,

PH
This has been facinating... thanks guys. smile

One other thing that I've done, and later regretted, was trading, or otherwise giving up a particular rifle that I appreciated in favor of another that was an obvious mistake...
For example: a nearly new, beautiful PF M70 in .375 H&H (RH) for a Browning A-Bolt SS (LH)in the same cartridge because I shoot from the left side. It was a mistake because that Browning would never shoot anything inside 2-inches, no matter what. Most groups were over 3-inches. It turned out that the bore was eight thousandths (.008) off center. It went down the road and I lamented giving up the M70.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Has anyone had that experience?
© 24hourcampfire