Home
i was reading a gun rag the other day (believe it was "handloader" and it included an article entitled "the 308 is great". i know a few folks who do all their hunting (deer, elk, black bear, etc.) with a 308 win in some form. just wondering who here does the same. if you do, what rifle are you using and what bullets do you use for the game you hunt. thanks

I have been using the .308 for 20 years. Shot everything from grouse to chucks to deer, but haven't taken a moose with it yet. Mostly I'm using 165gr interlocks, but I have 8-10 different bullets on the shelf at any time...For moose I think I'd use some 168 TSX or 165 IB's...

Great round, and I always have at least 2 .308's, and have had 3-4 at a time in the past. After I drop a big bull with it, I'll likely sell all my other cals... grin

This is my latest passion. Sako 75 Finnlight / McEDGE...

[Linked Image]

I do for the most part, 165 grain Barnes TSX's here.
I do.

Sako AII or Remington 7600. Big game hunting here in Maine is imited to deer and bear (or if you are really lucky a moose permit every 20 years or so). I use 150 gr. Core-lokts in the Sako as the rifle shoots them to tiny little groups. 150 Power Shocks (Federal Blue Box) in the 7600. If I'm headed elsewhere for bigger game, I tend to use the Sako and Partitions. I have killed white-tail, mule deer, black bear, moose, caribou, and elk without any drama.

i have for 30 years. started out w/ a BLR (which i still use) but have now settled on a steyr carbine as the primary.
I have been using the 308 for 30+ years and it is still my favorite. My current rifle is a savage 16 with a burris 3x-9x-40. I currently use fed 150gr nosler BT or handload a 165gr sierra BTSP. I have used it to take moose, caribou, black bear, wolves, coyotes, whitetail deer, mule deer, hogs, dall sheep, mtn goat and bad guys.
I have been using an old Ruger stainless with the boat paddle stock for about 20 years. Dropped a Timney trigger in it and have loved it ever since. Ugly as sin but it shoots great.

I use a Hornady 150 grain and 50 grains of WW748 over CCI large rile primers. Never had good accuracy with Nosler BT's.
my hunting rifle is a pimped out rem M7 .308, i use it for everything in north america except brown bears. i use 150 grain accubonds on thin skin havin critters and trophy bondeds on thick but i am considering ttsx's on thick for this year. havnt shot a thick skinned animal yet but hope to in the next few years.
I tried the .308 about 2 years ago, and loved it. I just bought my third one, and it will be my go-to cartridge for years to come. I've found the Federal Fusions in 150 and 165 to be accurate and hard hitting.
I used to have a Weatehrby super varmintmaster in .308 winchester. There was a few of them in 7mm-08 and .308, but most of them were chambered in light varmint calibers. I had the barrel cut off about 1/2" above were the flutes ended. It was a very nice short rifle. I had this rifle a few years and slayed many deer and hog with that rifle. I was shooting Hornady 150 grain sp light magnums. Now after a couple years without a .308 winny. I talked myself into ordering a Montana. Best rifle decision I've ever made. I can't believe a ready to go hunting rifle weighs in a hair over 6.5# and shoots Fusion 150 less then a inch. My .270 is going to get very, very sad living in my gun safe!!!
Yep, lots o times.
It's my primary round. I like 165gr Accubonds and Gamekings, but will be experimenting with 130gr TTSXs on our massive SE Whitetail this year.
308 Win is my number one . . . and two . . . and three.
I did for years. I switched to the .30-06, and I haven't looked back.
I hunted with my Steyr Scout in .308 Win up until 2006 when I wanted to go out with a .30-'06 for the 100th Anniversary. After that I have been switching around.

jim
the last time I hunted in a rifle area,I carried a 308
The .308 is great! Mine is a Weatherby MK V Super Predator Master......................547.
My .308 hunter is a Sav 99. Last years 8 point was a measured 313yds. Life is good.
I keep wanting to switch from the -06 to its short action brother, but can't seem to find the right deal on the right rifle. If I ever do, I'm pretty sure I'll be in the 308 camp permanently.
Vangaurd Carbine for me. 165 gr Fusions
Kimber 84M Classic. Shoots everything well but really likes 150 NP's and 165 Hornady Light Magnum. My old 700 loved the 165 SGK and HPBT. Can't imagine being without a .308 even though I like to flirt with others once in a while.
I grew up with a 308 and have hunted with since I was a kid.

Don't have one atm but I have been considering a Hawkeye in one.
I'm down to three .308's, seem to be accumulating 7mm's recently. I started with a .303 British when I was 15, upgraded to .308 a couple of years later, and have not had a need for anything else since. Wants are different than needs! Since the beginning I have used more powerful rounds, and flatter shooting, but never noticed that they killed critters any deader. I like efficiency.
To be honest, I never much cared for the .308 when it came out. No real rational reason other than I figured it was just a 30-06 wannabe.
Then a job transfer put me into so very good Mule Deer country but hunting at 8 and 9 thousand feet MSL was one hell of a change for a seal level type who was a thre pack a day chain smoker to begin with. That 9 plus pound old 30-06 was killing me up where the derr liked tp play. so, I started looking for something with less eight. Preferable a hell of a lot less weight. That something turned out to be one of those butt ugly Remington Model 60 in .308 Win. The first thing I figured was that ugly stock had to go. I put a Fajen mannlicher style stock on the gun and it was kind of pretty at that, considering my lack of gunsmithing skills at the time. Still, it must have been fairly well bedded, no tack driver by any means, but it would do 1.5" at 100 with ammo it liked. In this case it was a stiff load of H-335 with the 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunter. With that rifle, I took and made the longest shot I ever made on a deer, 425 paces. The der had been wounded by one of my humting buddies and it was a case of stop it before it got away, That's when I finally started to respect the .308. Now I have several rifls in .308 including one of my real pets, a Ruger tang safety RSI. It's a really fine carrying rifle. I still have that old 660, but now it's in an early H&S Precisin stock made when they still had their plant in Prescott Arizona. IIRC, I go that stock in mid 1980. I recently found a 1909 Peruvian Mauser marked Oberndorf
that someone made into a sporter. I just had it rebarreled to, you guessed it, a .308 Win. A quick preliminary shooting session tells me this one might be a good shooter. We'll see. Right now the only cartdige that gives the .308 any competition for my favoer is the 7x57 Mauser. The older I get the more I appreciate cartridges that do not kick the snot out of me.
Paul B.
men, thanks for the replies thus. seems the old war horse 308 still commands some respect.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
seems the old war horse 308 still commands some respect.

You bet it does. See plenty of use for shooting Taliban in Afghanistan in special applications. That fact doesn't seem to discourge or get lost on the 308 shooters neither....our beloved soldiers that are doing their job so we don't have to do it over here. eek Thanks guys...we love you for it. Did I mention they make a great deer round too?
I like the .308 also. I have a Tikka Laminate/SS.. grew up in Minnesota using a Remington 742 in .308 and over the years tried many different calibers. Came back to the .308
I have hunted deer over the last few years with a 7mm'08. Just bought a Savage 308. Right out of the box with Hornaday bullets it put a 3 shot group (100yds) in the same hole. Can't wait to hunt with it. Its is surely moving up the list as a favorite.

rej
Originally Posted by blargon

[Linked Image]

So what does that rig weigh?
i'm a wood/blue guy. does anyone shoot a mk2 or a hawkeye in 308 (for their general hunting rifle)? thanks
I started with a 308 when I was 13, 25 years ago, yikes. Since then I have added others, as well as a couple more 308's. And the 308 is still my number one choice for whitetail, and if I ever hunted anything else short of brown bear, I suspect it would get the nod then to.
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by blargon

So what does that rig weigh?

7lbs even, with a sling, no ammo...
© 24hourcampfire