Home
I already know that a Jewell is the best trigger, but I'm looking to keep cost down on this next build.

I'm having a light weight 7WSM built and need a trigger. I haven't been able to find much about the Timney. I've heard that the quality on the RB has fallen off. I haven't heard much negative about the Shilen.

So what's everyone's opinion on the best trigger for a lightweight pack around rifle?

Thanks in advance.
Shilen isn't any cheaper than a Jewell, is it?
RB has quality C/S if needed......I have several Savage RB triggers and they are just fine....
If Timneys are good enough for Melvin on his New Ultralight Rifles, then they must be good.
I have a Jewell, Timney and Shilen on 700's. Both are very good IMO. The Timney has a much wider trigger than the Shilen. The Shilen is a bit wider than the Jewell. I have RB's on a Ruger and Win70. Both were drop in and excellent.
I run Shilen and Timney, depending on application. Don't like the Rifle Basix.

Don't even CONSIDER a Jard for a Remington, I'd rather take a load of buckshot in the knees before messing with one of them again.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I run Shilen and Timney, depending on application. Don't like the Rifle Basix.

Same same.
had a rifle basix on a m700 replaced it with a jewel. have a timney on a ruger that i'm fine with
I have 3 Timneys - 2 on Rem600s and 1 on a 700. No complaints at all. One comment is that Timneys are wider than most triggers. This meant some inletting work on the stocks for my 600s. The 700 was a straight drop in.

If this is for a 700, you might want to pick up an X-Mark Pro trigger. I have two and picked up another this week from the classifieds here. You should be able to pick one up for $50 or so. They are easily adjustable and the ones I have are creep-free and stay set at 3 pounds. They might be a good fit if money is tight.

RH

Don't even CONSIDER a Jard for a Remington, I'd rather take a load of buckshot in the knees before messing with one of them again.
Whats wrong with them? the adjustment a pain in the butt?
Just curious.
Tough to explain, but when you get around to doing the safety adjustment you will understand.
Still have it, I'll happily mail it to you, though it has been hit with a hammer a few times.
Is it anything like the AR-15 Jard?
I installed one on my AR and it was a bit of a pain but after it was done I was/am happy....course the safety aint part of the adjustment either.
Still have it, I'll happily mail it to you, though it has been hit with a hammer a few times.
Wouldnt happen to have the safety lever by any chance would you?
I broke mine......considering if it is able to be interchanged with a stock Remmie.
Entirely different safety.
K thanks.
I don't have a lot of money, but I have found (for me) that the trigger is not the best place to save money on a rifle.
Jewell may be a very good trigger for target rifles. I have two target rifles with Jewell triggers. But, there are other, better options for sporting rifles.
I have Rifle Basix and Timney triggers in sporters, both performing as good as it gets, far cheaper, and better than Jewell sporting triggers.
I don't even consider a Shilen trigger when buying a sporter trigger.
I own all three ~ Timney, Rifle Basix and Shilen. B/t the three, I haven't had any problems with any of them and it really all comes down to the installer and the preference on the trigger shoe. All of mine were installed by professional 'smiths when I had the guns built.

As for the trigger shoes, the RB is by far the widest shoe of them all. The Shilen is the thinnest with Timney being in the middle. The RB and Timney had a serrated shoe whereas the Shilen shoe is smooth with no radiused edge. My preference on trigger shoe is Timney.
I have had both good and bad experiences with the Rifle Basix triggers. I bought two of their SAV-1 triggers for two of my Savage varmint rifles. These replace only part of the Savage trigger. They worked OK, but they could not be adjusted safely down to the advertised one pound. They ended up at about two pounds. I bought a Rifle Basix trigger (CZ-527) for a CZ 527 in 22 Hornet. It was a drop-in of sorts. However, I had to modify the inside of the trigger guard quite a bit so that it had clearance. After that it works great.

I bought a Rifle Basix complete replacement trigger for a Remington varmint rifle (ERV-3). It is supposed to be an easy drop-in, but it just would not work. I asked a friend that is an excellent gun smith to help me out. After fooling with it for some time he concluded that it was defective. I called the Rifle Basix customer service and was thoroughly chewed out by Bob for letting a gun smith touch one of his triggers. He had me send the trigger back in and when I received it back from him, there was a note stating that my gun smith ruined it, but Bob fixed it. I know my friend and if he said that the trigger was defective, it was defective. The new trigger went in with no issues and works quite well.
I will put a plug in for Timney's customer service.
I bought one off the classifieds and it came without a sear/spring. Seller said they didn't come with sears and you had to use the factory.
Rather than get into a piss'in match I figured I would just take care of it myself and gave Timney a call.
They said while they could send me a sear/spring and it should match they greatly prefer I send it in for them to give a once over.
While they did make me pay for the sear/spring, which I expected, I received it back in short order and out about $10- including my postage set at 2 pounds I specified.
Originally Posted by FVA
I will put a plug in for Timney's customer service.
I bought one off the classifieds and it came without a sear/spring. Seller said they didn't come with sears and you had to use the factory.
Rather than get into a piss'in match I figured I would just take care of it myself and gave Timney a call.
They said while they could send me a sear/spring and it should match they greatly prefer I send it in for them to give a once over.
While they did make me pay for the sear/spring, which I expected, I received it back in short order and out about $10- including my postage set at 2 pounds I specified.

FVA,

Good endorsement for Timney.
I've been using Timney's since somewhere in the 1960's, or maybe even in the 50's, exclusively back then for Mauser 98's. Never ever had an issue, or a problem with them; and today I have one on a Rem 700 that breaks as clean as any trigger I'd ever want.
The reason I started buying Rifle Basix triggers is based on an endorsement by Rick Bin. He mentioned having good reults with them, so I bought one for a Ruger 77 and was impressed with their set up for the safety, a much better approach than any other 77 trigger I'd worked with. The break on the 77 was good, so I bought a couple of them for Rem 700's and then two for Vanguards, all of which are as good as I could want, no creep and a great break with no overtravel..
So, today, I can go Timney or Rifle Basix and be satisfied.

I like my Rifle Basix LV-1 trigger that I have on the 223AI, and their customer service is good, but you have to deal with Bob to get said service. I called him up and he was rather blunt in telling me that there was no way his trigger could be pulling the poundage my scale was showing. He said that they are adjusted to a certain range and mine was out of that range because I must have adjusted it or I was running an aftermarket firing pin spring. I told him that I had not adjusted it and that I had even tried an aftermarket spring, which made the trigger even heavier. He claimed that something must be rubbing, which would give sporadic heavy pulls. I told him that the pulls were very consistent, just heavy. He finally told me not to adjust it, but to send it back to him with a detailed note addressed to "Bob", with only one "o". I guess he'd been referred to as "Boob" one too many times. So I get the trigger back, it is adjusted, and he included a note saying that I could have done all the adjustments over the phone. Duh.....
I dealt with what sounded like some kid named Jared, as I recall,at Timney. He said to attn: it to him and he would take care everything and it was so.
I broke a sear on a Jewell due to a blown primer ramming the firing pin back. Jewell had me send that one in and replaced the sear and back to me pretty quickly too. That mistake cost close to $80-.
The one experience I had with Timney customer service was pretty negative. I bought a trigger for my Mauser and installed it because it was advertised as "drop-in." The instructions were pretty poor and I realized something was wrong when I bumped the butt of the rifle a little hard and I heard the firing pin drop. My gunsmith checked it over and found that something was wrong and that it was the same problem they had found with several other triggers that had come from Timney at that time. I have heard that Timney fixed the quality control problem but the way that the customer service guy treated me has me wary of using them again.
Never used a Shilen.
Had one Rifle Basix for a Remington 700 that just would not fit, sent it back for a new trigger and sold it.
Have three Timney's and have never had a problem with them.

Greg
I have timney's on all my custom rifles and have never had a problem with them. they break crisp and clean for me. i dont see the need to spend anymore money on a trigger that what I spend on them.
Timney has recently changed the design on their 700 pattern triggers- and not for the better. I went with a Rifle Basix when the action maker installed two different Timneys that would time right and called them and found out about the change. I don't like Jewels for sporting rifles.

I have no complaints with the Rifle Basix.
I've had a Timney on my Remington for close to 20 years, been very solid.

Tried a Shilen on my son-in-law's Rem. XCR. Sold me on it.

I have Timneys and RBs on quite a few different makes and models and have installed a bunch more... Once a Timney is installed they are fine... As long as they get the right trigger in the package.

Never had a problem with a RB, but the last several Timneys I have installed have put me off them permanently. Trying to install one on a 96 mauser the first would not go and was obviously the wrong trigger. Brownell's sent a replacement and it was identical to the first wrong one. They "double-checked" and sent another... Exactly the same as the first ones.

An RB was not an option so they sent a Bold. It took minutes to install and works beautifully.

I attempted a 98 Timney, it failed and could not be adjusted. An RB worked and was installed in minutes.

A 700 Timney would not adjust and was replaced by a RB.

In total I have had more Timneys fail than all others combined. I still have several from years ago and they are fine, but I will never order another.
art
I see Shilen is coming out with a SS unit. Likely I will go with one on my next build.
© 24hourcampfire