Home
I got a new toy today. I bought a Remington 700 338 Win mag. It is all stainless, 26" barrell with a vais muzzle brake, MPI fiberglass stock glass bedded my MPI, Jewell Trigger, Leupold quick detach base and rings with a 1.5-5x20 vari-x III scope. It is very lightweight for a magnum. I can't wait to get out and dial a 225gr Accubond load. It also appears to have an aftermarket firing pin/bolt shroud assy.

The stock has camo paint and it feels very tacky. It picks up hair, fibers from rags, & dirt from your hands. Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I have tried dish soap to no avail.

Attached picture 338.jpg
Posted By: safariman Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Get yourself a nice wood handle smile
Posted By: STA Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Send it to www.riflestockpainting.com its that easy..... grin
Sounds nice, and after a cut job and a recrown it'll sound even better... cool

Dober
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
New rifles are always a good thing.
Posted By: Accumark_Man Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Originally Posted by STA

I checked this out. It looks great. How is the durability? Would you guys recommend him for cerakoting also?
Posted By: RedRabbit Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Dober

grin grin grin
Posted By: avagadro Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09

Dober

At least to everyone else at the range!! smile
Posted By: Powerguy Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09

Dober

I'm betting 23" would be about right Mark? smile
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
I would just have to try it with the muzzle brake. That rifle could be a long range cannon. Besides you say its 'light' now.

The scope it came with is very small and more suited for a carry gun. Switch scopes with some other rifle that you have.

Tell us how you like the brake.

If you like the looks of the camo paint that it has now you might leave the stock in the sun for a few days and see if it drys up.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I would just have to try it with the muzzle brake. That rifle could be a long range cannon. Besides you say its 'light' now.

The scope it came with is very small and more suited for a carry gun. Switch scopes with some other rifle that you have.

Tell us how you like the brake.

If you like the looks of the camo paint that it has now you might leave the stock in the sun for a few days and see if it drys up.

I will be running 2 scopes I have a 2.5-8x36 Leupold in a set of QR Leupold rings that will be its primary scope. I will use the 1.5x5 as a close cover/brush scope. I will set the 2.5x8 up to shoot 225gr Accubonds and the 1.5x5 will be something in the 250-300 grain area. Does anyone have any good suggestions to try for a heavy close range load?

I am going to leave the muzzle break on for now. It can't be as bad as a boss equipped 338 I USED to own. And as for the leaving the stock in the sun. This paint is fully cured it just has a tacky feel. I think it will go to CS for a paint job. Olive drab green with black webbing really turns my crank. Do you guys know if CS will shorten the stock for me?
Posted By: slm9s Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Could you try some ultra-flat clear coat spray paint over the top of the current paint?
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
[Linked Image]
I don't know how to post the pics.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Accumark Man..............Hope you enjoy your new toy!

The 2.5-8x36 is a very good all around magnification for the 338 WM. Though don`t under-estimate that little 1.5-5x20 you have for some longer range work.

I use a 1.5-5x20 VX111 on a 300 WSM and 375 Ruger. Nailing one gallon milk cartons filled with water at 300 yards with both rifles set on 5x, is a piece of cake. So on 5x, 400-500 yards on a big game animal is very do-able, assuming one`s eyes are in reasonably good shape.

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Got a new rifle today - 08/13/09
Originally Posted by Accumark_Man
Originally Posted by STA

I checked this out. It looks great. How is the durability? Would you guys recommend him for cerakoting also?

Charley does fantastic work - his paint isn't like anything you can do at home. Its pretty much like it comes from a factory -- but better:) He has done a couple of mine - you may have seen them on ifish:) And yes his Cerakote work is also 1st class - or you may try Fosnogh (SP) here on the campfire - he is a new guy but learned from the best and from what I have seen he does a great job. See the custom forum I think there are some posts showing his work.
Nice rig by the way- good elk stopper!!
© 24hourcampfire