Home
I have the chance to buy either a 760 or 7600 in 35 Whelen, both new in box, both same price. Is there a benefit to one over the other? What kind of accuracy can be expected with a 3-9 scope?
Personally,I would choose the 760.I feel the older Remingtons of that period are made better, out of better materials.Personally.
IIRC, the newer 7600s have fewer, but larger, locking lugs on the bolt, otherwise, they are about the same. I'd agree with the previous statement about the older rifles being built better, but I think I'd rather have larger lugs.

Either way, it's ten times the rifle a 742 or 7400 is.
I don't think remington ever chambered the 760 in 35 whelen.

Landrum
I think there is two versions of the 760, one with the barrels free floating, and older ones with the barrel connected to the slide with a hangar type set-up. I beleive the change took place around 1968. I own a 760 made in 72 that shoots great. The barrels that remington used in the 70's and 80's for the most part were very well made. The 760 has better irons imo. The 7600 has a higher comb, and less lugs as pointed out above.
Slam dunk for me it'd be the 760...

Dober
Slam dunk for me it'd be the 760...

I have owned both why do you feel the 760 is better?
I have several 760's in 30.06 caliber with a wide variety of scopes from 3x9 Leupold's and one cherry Herter's flip mount scope (with a range finder out to 500 yards). The 7600 is a fine rifle, however the quality and workmanship of the 760 far exceeds the 7600. Grab every 760 you can find in any caliber from .270 to 35 Remington and any 30.06.
I have both. I like them both a lot. The 760 is an '06. Shoots into an inch with Varget and Barnes 130 TTSXs. Doesn't particularly care how much Varget as long as it's close to 51 grains The 7600 is a .243 that came with a messed up barrel. I bought it cheap and put $200 into a new barrel. It wears a Leupy 1-4x24 so keeping them all in an inch is harder, but it is pretty consistent at it. I used to have a 760 in 308. I gave it to a friend and it still shoots into an inch. The ones without the fore end hanger are easier to get that accuracy out of.

They work. They shoot better than you have any right to ven hope for. They are reliable. They are ridiculously easy to work on. And... if you get a bad one they are cheap enough that you can go buy another and still be OK with the money you spent.
however the quality and workmanship of the 760 far exceeds the 7600. Grab every 760 you can find in any caliber from .270 to 35 Remington and any 30.06.

I forgot how much nicer the bluing was on the old guns. I just spent the last 15 minutes looking up 760's ..talk about nostalgia.
I like the wide range of bullets that you can put through the .06 from 110 grains to 220 grains with very little adjustment in your scope.
Damn I miss having one. I might have to rectify that grin
Where does the Model Six fit in? I have one and believe they were made for short time between the 760 and 7600.
Go for the 760.

Those damn things point like shotguns. It's a sin to put a scope of them.

Well, I guess you could get see-through mounts... grin
Rich,
The Model 6 was a 7600 with a Monte Carlo/cheek piece stock and a cartridge head in front of the magazine. The 760 had ADL/BDL grades and the 7600/6 was the continuation of that.
I didn't know they made it in .35 whelen. What a great gun! Get the 760! Flinch
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
Where does the Model Six fit in? I have one and believe they were made for short time between the 760 and 7600.

I think they were a "budget" version of the 7600, I may be thinking of the 76 though.
My vote is for the 760 if the barrel is floated, if not, go 7600.

You really won't go wrong with either, they are both great.
Originally Posted by tzone

I think they were a "budget" version of the 7600, I may be thinking of the 76 though.

The 76 had the plain birch stock.
I don't know which is better, but I think with either you are getting a very solid hunting rifle. Over the years I have seen several magazine articles where the author made comments about some eastern dude bringing his inaccurate pump rifle out West when he should have brought a bolt rifle. All I can say is, if the pump was inaccurate it was more likely a result of the "dude" and not the rifle. I grew up in PA where the 760/7600 was one of the most common rifles. All of the ones I have shot and seen shot over the years have been plenty accurate with plain jane ammo (and often cheap scopes). I think you can easily expect 1.5" groups and often better. The most accurate versions I have seen were in .243 and .270. I have not seen a pump Whelen, buy my 700 classic in this caliber is extremely accurate - I have astounded one of my accuracy nut friends when I showed him my Whelen targets who doesn't think a round can be accurate unless it's a 6.5 AIed wildcat of some sort.

Lou
In the early '70's I bought a new Rem.760 in .223. It looked as if they had used a standard sporter barrel and then only punched a .22 cal. hole in it. It was extremely accurate even using home made bullets produced by a friend. Used it heavily for years on woodchucks and jack rabbits then finally sold it to a guy who wanted it for use on coyotes being run by hounds.

At the time of selling it the gun still shot well under an inch. Have often thought it should have been kept but it was being used so seldom at the end that it didn't make sense.

In the same time period my main hunting rifle was a 760 in .270. Accuracy was not as good as the .223 but was more than sufficient for my needs. Eventually it got traded out on a Browning BAR in .270 which finally got traded off when I started shooting bolt guns.

If forced into it one of these 760's could probably still satisfy my needs even allowing for some of the long range shooting I occasionally have to do.

Jim
Originally Posted by tzone

I believe it was the other way around. The Model 6 (and 4) were deluxe versions.

Paul
A factory M760 in 35Whelen? News to me!

760 vs. 7600 = six of one and half dozen of the other.

Come to think of it I have six of one and a half dozen of the other! crazy

WN
Originally Posted by Whelen Nut

Same here.
Originally Posted by SKane

Same here.

I also agree.

http://www.gun-data.com/remington_mod_model760.htm
I've owned 2 model 7600 in 35 Whelen, both shot easily 1 1/4 or less with Hornady 250 rn or sp. Saw no need for the 200 gr bullet
The 760 I owned was 30.06 plain birch? stock shot well too.
I like the 7600 .
Originally Posted by MagMarc

The 76 had the plain birch stock.

Yep, that is the one I was thinking of....My fil has one.

760 vs. 7600 = six of one and half dozen of the other.

Come to think of it I have six of one and a half dozen of the other! crazy

WN

TFF! grin
I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking the .35 whelen wasn't available. I have had a couple of 760's and they are fabulously accurate and solid rifles. Flinch
I can't say which one is "better", but I know that I'd have no reservations on using my mid-70s vintage 760 (30-06) on anything that well...you could use a 30-06 on.
A 760 in 35 Whelen? It is probably a rebored 30-06. I have one in 300 Savage and it will be my last hunting rifle (before being replaced by the phase plasma rifle in a 40 watt range).
Originally Posted by mpmax
A 760 in 35 Whelen? It is probably a rebored 30-06.

Or, a rechambered 35Rem.

WN
I am wondering if possibly our original poster was asking about the choice between a 750 and a 7600 ? Maybe he will come back and answer that for us. I own a 750 Carbine in 35 Whelen. I have not shot it yet. I have heard both good and bad about. Right now it is oiled up and tucked away until I have time to play with it.
© 24hourcampfire