Home
[Linked Image]

Marlin XS7 308 Rifle

I was very intrigued by the articles and comments I have been hearing about the Marlin XL7 but really didn't want another 30-06 or 270, I kinda liked the idea of a 25-06 but I would have had to spend a lot for dies, bullets etc., I was able to resist until they introduced the short action XS7 and a 308 sounded good to me. Bass Pro had them for $279 and a 10% deal on a credit card got the price down to where I bit. I already had an Intensity 3.8-12x44 scope and a set of Weaver Grand slam rings so I was ready to get started as soon as I got the rifle home.

The first thing to work on was the trigger, it's the Pro Fire that has a release in the center of the trigger that helps prevent accidental discharge. It is probably a lawyer/insurance driven innovation but it works and I find it no determent to controlling your trigger pull. I removed the barreled action from the stock by removing the two #20 torque bit action screws and adjusted the trigger by the instruction in about 3 minutes. The trigger pull is crisp, light enough to shoot accurately from the bench but not too light for hunting, just right.

Now I have the stock off I can take a look at the particulars. It's plastic of course, mine is black and you can get camo. Sling studs and a very soft recoil pad are installed. The action screw holes are sleeved with steel tube to keep you from crushing the stock when tightening the screws. It has a raised cheek rest (not Monte Carlo), molded in checkering that looks and feels good, a removable plastic trigger guard., 13 5/16� length of pull, and has pressure pads at the forend (not free floated). It feels good and is comfortable to shoot. I happened to have a Remington ADL plastic stock in the shop while doing this and comparing the two they are nearly identical. If you like the fit of a Remington you'll be happy with this stock, only the Reminton's recoil pad was a little firmer and the checkering pattern was different. I went ahead and took out the pressure pads and free floated the barrel, I had to remove the pads and some more material on the bottom and left side of the barrel channel to get the clearance. My one issue with the stock came when I reassembled the rifle, the front action screw went in and bottomed out on the pillar bedding solidly but when I started tightening down the rear screw expecting the same positive bottom it just kept snugging down until it sorta bottomed out. Then I realized I couldn't retract the bolt because the rear action screw was screwed out into the race-way for the cocking piece. The front screw solidly makes contact with the pillar sleeve and in turn the bottom of the receiver, the rear would do the same but the soft plastic trigger guard spoils the benefit of the sleeve. I crushed the trigger guard with the small head of the 1/4� action screw. I made a cone shaped bushing/washer out of tubing and created an all steel pillar and it still holds the trigger guard on snugly. I shouldn't have to do that to a new rifle but I don't think Marlin would have done much, anyway it works good now. The in-letting for the recoil lug was very loose, so a with a little Accuglass I bedded the lug and nothing more.

Okay now for the action. The receiver is milled from tubing like Remington, Savage and others with a recoil lug wedged between the barrel nut and receiver face like the Savage. Drilled and tapped and supplied with a Weaver style one piece base that I like pretty well, I usually prefer the Redfield JR type rings but this one is working real well with the Weaver Grand Slam rings I used to mount my Intensity 3.8-12x44 scope. The finish is not overly shinny but not as flat and my scope's matt finish, no machine marks, burrs etc. The bolt has groves lateraly that look like Weatherby Vanguards bolt. The bolt handle is shaped like the Ruger 77's with a dog leg and is fluted to clear the scope. The bolts shroud looks a lot like the Browning A-bolts. The bolt release is just like a Winchester Model 70. The safety is a two position situated above the stock and above the trigger like Remington. The bolt face looks like a Winchester push feed model 70 with the slide type extractor on the outboard lug and a spring loaded pin ejector. My only complaint so far is a very weak ejector, it just barely throws the brass out onto the bench. The 22� barrel has no sights and is not drilled and tapped to receive any, it does have a nicely recesses crown. I don't think they missed knocking off something from any of their main competitors, but it came together real well.

I went thru about 40 rounds of assorted ammunition that I had accumulated, some miltary, some commercial and 25 or so reloads using some pulled 168 gr. match bullets. While doing this it seemed that 150 gr bullets were the way to go and I loaded 5 rounds each of Nosler Partition Gold, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Reminton Core Loct. It showed a preference for the Nosler BT's and I loaded 10 using Accurate Arms 2700 (max load), a Fed 210M primer and Nosler Match brass. From a cold clean barrel I shot a 3/4� group 1 1/2� high and 3/4� right. I moved the scope three clicks left and cut the verticle line 1 1/2� high.

My conclusion is it's worth the money and may be the best bang for the buck available. The Savage package rifle cost about the same as my set up cost me but I don't think the scope, rings and bases on the Savage is as good as I have on the Marlin. I also like the shape and feel of the Marlin stock better than the Savages I've had in the past. Nine stars out of ten.

Tarheel
Posted By: Hudge Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 09/11/09
That is the same rifle I have been wanting to pick up since they introduced them. Every time I get the money saved up though, some thing comes up. I'll get one someday. Looks like it will work for you!
I bought one two months ago in 7mm-08. Has about 100 rounds down the tube, and has not shot a single group over 1 1/4" yet with a 4X33 Leupold on top. smile

Ted
Nice Post Tarheel,
I don't own one yet, but have picked up a couple and had to talk myself out of them.

Glad to see you are pleased with your rifle.
CT
Thanks for the detailed report. Looking for a .270 soon.

stumpy
STILL waiting on mine after 2 weeks.

Posted By: nuguy Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 09/12/09
I have never seen one yet but from all the reviews Ive read I am all set to try out a 7mm-08. I wish they made these with a wood stock but I guess I can get the synthetic.
I see that they are offering the XL7 with a wood stock now. I think that would be a big improvement, the plastic one is very springy.
I made a couple of mistakes on the load I am using to get the group in the photo. It was a max load of Accurate Arms 2520 and I was using Hornady Match cases.

Tarheel
i have 270s but this marlin is by far a close number 1-2 to savage ive have
Posted By: whsk Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/03/09
these guns are shooters!my XL7C 270 shoots really well with most any load from cheap federal factory loads to its favorite handload which shoots 1/2 inch groups or less repeatedly!this rifle is out of the box stock and shoots as good or better than any rifle i own!
Great rifle that stole every good idea from everyone (SMART).
First came a XL7 camo 270 WCF.
I have an XL7C camo in 7mm08 on order.
Savage barrels even fit! Just to fill the day I bought a Savage 22-250 barrel for dirt, dug out my 22-06 reamer and rechambered it and put it on the XL.
55 gr Dogtowns move out at 3700, shoot 3/4 MOA and in 20 minutes it can be a 270 again (also a tack driver). Hope they bring out some other versions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm suddenly at a loss for words.
Funny....He can take pics of this stuff.....
Posted By: SU35 Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/03/09
Looks like a great blue light speacial.
KH, glad you finally figured out I can take pictures and don't (as you LIED about) steal them from others. Now fire up your Brownie and show us all your efforts.

SU, It is a blue light special that will let folks of average means own a rifle that performs as well or better than one costing far far more. Won't impress the snobs at hunting camp, but will put the game in the freezer as sure as some $5,000 custom.

Matt, I be at a loss for words too when Marlin can put out a sub MOA centerfire for less than twice the price of one of your beautiful trigger guards. Marlin has been a pioneer since the 1880s and continues to provide innovative value for todays hunters.

Tar Heel, you have to understand that there are a few folks on every internet site that have nothing to offer but nasty comments, lies and BS. You get your Marlin cooking and you'll be be out taking game while they are trying to dump on you for your choice and hiding behind their keyboards pretending to be experts. Great rifle and a great value...just no getting around it.
Originally Posted by oldman1942

Matt, I be at a loss for words too when Marlin can put out a sub MOA centerfire for less than twice the price of one of your beautiful trigger guards. Marlin has been a pioneer since the 1880s and continues to provide innovative value for todays hunters.

It wasn't the Marlin that got my attention, but rather the vice grips, tapping handle, barrel vise and chamber reamer. Items I would not have expected to see all in one picture, let alone being used in conjunction with one another.

Had a shop MR7 for a while, so I know what Marlin is capable of, as well as visiting their facility in 2005.
They make a fine lever-actions and I've owned a few, but turn-bolts aren't their niche.

Price is mostly dictated by volume, and I'm thinking they priced them to sell more than they will, but only time will tell.
Not familiar here with the re-chambering process. What exactly should you be seeing in the same pic?
Also, any chance a company, yours maybe, could make CNC'd copies of the plastic triggerguard? Cost effective?
Well here are the fired cases from the 22-250 and 22-06 after my shadetree rechambering job. Probably would shoot better with a $200 triggerguard that weighs more. Have yet to meet any as issued M-70 that can outshoot a 722 with a (GOD) stamped trigger guard.

[Linked Image]

Seven reloads with Redding bushing dies and no problems. Still teny, tiny groups with el cheapo dogtown bullets. Why that's almost as good as a 225 Winchester (a what?)

Bolt actions may not be Marlin's niche (IYO) buy their 17 HMRs and these X7s sure seem to changing a lot of minds. (Buy the new issue of Rifle)
No question the technique makes the brass bigger, but I'm afraid the lack of a lathe, expertise and tact is where your post fell short.

Glad you're happy with it, but don't hold your breath for the rest of the shooting world to hop on the Marlin turnbolt bandwagon, or the wildcat technique prescribed above.

For the record, my in-the-white bottom metal starts at $154.00 retail, which happens to be about half the price of my nearest competitor. It's also no secret that it remains one of the most difficult and expensive parts to manufacture for both the large volume makers, as well as the custom crowd. Lots of folks are making actions and complete rifles, but very few are making their own bottom metal for this very reason.

I'm fond of the 721 and 722's, but you've apparently been in hiding if you haven't seen one get out shot by a model 70, with or without one of my guards on them.

In the new Rifle Magazine, the one I advertise in, do they mention anything about chambering with vise grips and tap handles for ringing out the accuracy of the throat-burning 22-06?
Perhaps they'll do an expose on how to deal with folks who haven't a clue about custom rifle work, but defend it with insults of other subjects that are totally unrelated.

That could indeed be a good read.........
Matt, hate to break it to you but it wasn't up to your standards or prices but it shoots real well. Do I care if the barrel is fried in 1000 rounds? Hell no because I can buy another one for another 50 bucks if I care to.

BTW, this is my R.F. Sedgley 22-06 that would far exceed the quality of any Model 70 to ever have left New Haven for anywhere near the price.

[Linked Image]

MY RFS 400 Whelen also made the cover of Zeglin's new book...titles you have written or published are....??

[Linked Image]

Now tell me about the benchrest records held by Model 70s....
Wonder why NO military force in the world uses them for sniper rifles? 700 variations appear to dominate over here.

$150 bucks for a TG that does nothing but look nice....Barnum was correct.

There's a whole lot of dead VC that had no idea a model 70 was a sniper rifle until Carlos Hathcock gave them a formal introduction.........

A guy who's more than satisfied with hand-reaming a factory barrel would likely not comprehend the benefits of having a steel trigger guard and what accuracy and feeding benefits are brought to the table with them.

Congrats, you're only the second person to ever make my ignore list and the first to do it in such record time. Even JO and Lee add some level of entertainment at times, but its apparent that your posts and responding to them do less than nothing for this site.

Have fun Lori.
Carlos used the M 70, because that was what was available. I don't see any 70s in Irag with Unertls target scopes on them.

[Linked Image]

While Carlos was a high scoring sniper, he was not the top dog. The guy who was used a 700 variant.

"During Vietnam, as most know, Carlos Hathcock had 93 confirmed and Chuck Mawhinney had 103 confirmed. They were both excellent marksmen and they saved many lives. Two Army snipers had a higher body count."

This was a state of the art sniper rifle in 1809, but I doubt too many SAS guys are carrying them in the Middle East.

The M-70 was a nice 1930s action that has been eclipsed.

[Linked Image]

Yeah, there's no demand whatsoever for those eclipsed Pre-64 Model 70 actions....... crazy

crazy Notice the resemblance?
Sheesh!! Sorry. I didn't want to be in the middle of anybody's poopin' match. Just a simple question of what is wrong with that pic and do you make a t.g. to replace the plastic t.g.
Sorry.
Although Marlin failed in the bolt action CF rifle efforts in the past, they are now owned by the same folks who own Remington and if anybody can sell a bolt action rifle, it appears that Remington can. Putting this rifle in the Marlin line, rather than in the Remington line, makes good marketing sense, since it won't be poaching on anything else in the Marlin line. Probably the same reason that Savage restarted the Stevens line, to have a lower cost line that doesn't compete head to head with the higher cost line. Think in terms of Chevy and Cadillac or Ford and Lincoln.

I think that Marlin will sell a bunch more XL/XS-7s when they get them into the high volume retailers like Dick's and Wal-Mart. Add a quick twist 223 and 22-250 to the XS-7s and watch them fly out the doors for just under $300 retail. After all, when you buy an XL/XS-7 you're getting what amounts to a Savage 110 series clone, Accu-Trigger, but no Accu-Stock, for the price of a Stevens 200 and you're getting better stock geometry too. The only major obstacles that I can see in the path of the Marlin XL/XS-7's future success is Remington's well known ability to screw up a good product with some of the World's worst marketing and the economy.

1 thing that I've noticed with the Marlin XL/XS-7 buyers on 24HCF is that they are often so pleased with the 1st rifle, than they frequently go back for a 2nd and 3rd. Plus, they are giving a lot of free "word of mouth" advertising to their real and virtual friends.

Jeff
I don't know what kind of dribble 42 came up with this time, simply because he's on ignore right now, but the crux of it was, if you want to rechamber a rifle correctly, one should be using a lathe to accurately cut and indicate it into the bore.

I misread your initial post, thinking you were asking if I would make a plastic trigger guard on one of my CNC's. I suppose if the demand became high enough, I might entertain a steel replacement for them, but the chances are somewhat unlikely.

Marlin's early attempt with the MR7 could have taken off pretty good, had they developed a decent stock. It had all the desirable features found in other rifles, but the stock was horrid. It also happen to be very accurate on the average.

This new endeavor might very well prove to be a bigger hit for the budget line of turnbolts.
Thanks. Have to agree on that last sentence. I sorta thought those early MR7s were too expensive. Up there with Remington, Winchester, Ruger. When I'm spending that $$$ I can't afford to be a Guinea Pig. But if I'm spending half that much (XL7) I can "waste" a few bucks, and so far it ain't been wasted.
I'm not impressed with their thin plastic triggerguard, however. They seem to be no stouter than the pot-metal cheapos that Remington passes out. May have to get one milled from aluminum stock.
An interesting test would be to see if the "plastic" Marlin TG puts the rifle out of action any quicker than a metal one that bent in and blocked the trigger? I'd rather have no TG than a bent one that locked up the rifles trigger. Then again, my book rack is filled with 100s of stories about trigger guards failing in the field (LOL!)

As for people wanting M 70s, people also want 57 T-Birds.
I have a 30-06 M-70 classic (old trigger) that is a nice rifle, heavy and shoots no better than my much chaper XL. It also has no where near the fit and finish of my 1953 Husky 30-06 commercial Mauser which is all steel, handles gas far better and shoots just as well.

Anyone who would choose to build a custom rifle on any M 70 over a 50s vintage FN/Husky is out of touch with what a real Mauser action is.
Hey, I'm not dissing plastics. Am amazed at what some of today's plastic can do. I do think Marlin/Remmington could have made it about twice as thick with little weight or cost. My Steyr's plastic guard is strong enough to use as a hammer, ugly though.
Marlin can do better.
Guess I'm not understanding paragraphs 2&3. May be some other rant?
338 Sorry it was for the great waputi (guess spelling is obsolete in the land of Moroni) who thinks a Model 70 is God's gift to shooters.

If he only knew how much better you Steyr was.... I had a 6.5x68 Steyr...what a death ray that was!

(The word he's grasping for is Wapiti)
My Steyr is in 270. Death ray? Yes. Moreso than the XL7 even! Hard to believe, huh?
Posted By: bcp Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/06/09
A Rem 700 guard will fit with slight modification to the stock. Front screw is a wood screw into the stock, so easy to fill and move. The width is already correct.

The picture will enlarge if you open or view it.

Bruce

[Linked Image]
Thanks, bcp. Was hoping someone had a decent fix that was easy. Is that part available separately or do I need to be looking for a parts gun?
Posted By: bcp Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/06/09
Rem 700 ADL guards are readily available, in plastic, aluminum, and steel.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#bottom

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=adl+guard/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=adl_guard

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#700%20adl%20guard____-_1-2-4_8-16-32

Bruce
Posted By: Nrut Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/06/09
Tarheel101
I just got one of these "bluelight" specials in 708 myself and couldn't be happier even though I wasn't able to get to the range before the miserable cold weather hit.. I have been reading other peoples experiences with the sub MOA that they are getting so I'm not to worried there..
smile
BCP, great info, I'll have to order one from Brownells when my plastic one breaks.

We're taking out the new XS 7mm08 tomorrow (14 below zero this AM) and see how it does. My buddy ended up getting it for $269.00 delivered as there was sale on here and our sales tax is a tad lower than the rest of the "free world".
You lucky buggers get those rifles for $100 less than we do up in Canada...
I'll trade you two for one RCMP marked Colt New Service 455 in 98% condition.
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You lucky buggers get those rifles for $100 less than we do up in Canada...

But, our shoot better than theirs! grin

[Linked Image]

Ted
Posted By: tzone Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/12/09
Dude....WTF is your issue with trigger guards? The man makes them, and very well I will add, and makes his living off of them. And you come on here and bash him for it.

Get a life...or at least a Winchester.
Posted By: DrewS Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 12/22/09
I am really like my .243 XS7 so far. I don't shoot from the bench at all so I can't tell you if you can play connect the dots with it but in the field I have hit what I have aimed at out to about 300 yards and thats all I need from it. That is with the cheapest off the shelf Remington and Winchester ammo available. I overpaid on mine because I bought it on a whim for a varminting trip. Still $340 for it packaged with a cheap scope feels like a great deal for how nice it shoots. It is like getting one of the nicer Savages for less. The only thing I don't really like about it is the plastic trigger guard. I might have to give the steel Rem ADL mod posted above a try. The extraction isn't very powerful. The cases pretty much fall out of the action. At first I didn't like this but I found it easier to keep track of my brass in the field.

My trigger came set perfect for field use. I adjusted it down about a quarter of a turn but I decided that was too light and put it back.
Posted By: 2525 Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 10/10/11
There are lots of good bolt guns, just choose your pick. I would go with an XS7 personally.
Posted By: Bug Re: Getting my Marlin XS7 set up - 10/14/11
Old post, but it's an easy fix.
Aluminum TG for Model 925
Part #G3207580-00 $11.00 + $6.00 shipping
I just drilled the rear hole in the guard only to a 1/4" and used the original screw.
© 24hourcampfire