Home
I have heard from two different and remote from each other but somewhat unreliable sources now, that Remington will offer in the year 2010 a Classic 700 Rifle in caliber 5.6x52R?
I am puzzled by this if true - I think that this is also known as the old 22 Savage High-Power cartridge?
Has anyone else heard anything regarding the 2010 Remington Classic offering?
I am not sure if it can be made as a repeater with the rimmed case?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
A rimmed repeater? Sure! Ask all the British and Canadian troops from two world wars how their 303 British worked in the bolt action Lee Enfield repeaters. Just have to make sure that each successive rim is ahead of the one below it -- a real cinch.
Well ... the 220Swift is semi-rimmed as is the 225Win. Why not? If hey can get it to work ... good on them. But will it have a 0.227" bore or 0.224"?
Cheers...
Con
The .22 High Power never was a real bolt action cartridge, anyway, and not by Remington.

If they have run out of ideas, and are scraping the bottom of the American bucket, why don't they do some more foreign cartridges, like the 7x64mm and .303 Brit, or just start over with the .30-06 and .270 Win, with nice bluing, higher grade wood, jeweled bolt, and distinctive checkering, on the level of the previous Model 70 Supergrades?
I would say no i dont think the sales of that caliber would make the bean counters happy in remington land.

gene
26" 240Wby might be nice. I'd be much more likely to buy one of them than I would a 5.6x52R.
Sounds like a bad choice to me, say it isn't so!
I thought they discontinued the Classic series altogether either last year or the year before?
People tend to call the current CDL, Classic Deluxe, by just Classic which unfortunately clouds the issue.

Sort of like the Vari-X vs. VX thing with Leupold.
no, they are going to chamber the 38-55, rimfire... with detatchable tubular magazine.
and a pistol grip mannlicher takedown stock.
by mcmillan.
Don't say that too loud. Remington might be listening.

I can't sleep now for worrying that Winchester will bring out a matte stainless 1885 stocked in camo dipped Tupperware.
Was the '09 model in .257 Roberts?
The Classics are over. They were a set series. I can't remember what the last one was, perhaps 7-08 or .300Savage maybe. Anyway, it was a couple of years ago.
The Remington M700 Ltd Edition Classic series ended in 2005 with the .308 Win.

According to what I was told when I called Remington and complained about the discontiuation of the series; The Classic Series had run it's course, and would NOT be revived. They said it, and I believe it.

As far as the Remington M-700 goes in .22 Hi-Power goes: I can't recall that Remington has EVER made a rifle with a .228" groove diameter... Also, Remington has NEVER made a M-700 in a rimmed case... (Semi-rimmed, yes; .220 Swift)

According to CoTW, the .22 Savage Hi-Power has been obsolete since the 1930's Logic does not favor it ever being resurrected. Be that as it may...

GH
I would love to have a 700 Classic in .358 Winchester.
I believe the last of the Classics ended with the 100th Anniv. of the 30/06, calling it something else. I could be wrong....

The 264 WM, 257 Wby. and 257 BYOB were on this SS, fluted, wood stocked platform.

The 222 Magnum would get my vote, should they decide to still offer some retro.
Duckster: The 2,008 "Classic" was in caliber 260 Remington according to my 2,008 Remington catalog.
Someone "borrowed" my 2,009 catalog and I can't answer your quiry right now - but soon I hope to, when I find the catalog.
The Model is now called the Model 700 CDL - SF "Limited Edition".
Will get back to you.
I wonder if the CDL SF stands for Classic Deluxe - Stainless Fluted?
Anyway it still maintains most ALL the physical attributes of the long line of other Classic 700 and I call it the "Classic" as do many folks I have spoken with and traded guns with.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I have many of the line of Classic 700's including those in 17 Remington, 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington (two of these - they shoot SO well!), 223 Remington and 7mm Remington Magnum.
In the past I have owned other 700 Classics in the following calibers 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts and 300 Savage.
Virtually every Classic I have owned and shot did shoot well to VERY well!
I don't know why - they are such a simple and unsophisticated gun they just tended to all shoot better than I expected with their light barrels and lack of bedding care.
HawkI: I agree with you most whole heartedly!
I would give a good tooth if only Remington would offer a "Classic" in 222 Remington Magnum!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Jericho: I personally know 3 fellow Big Game Hunters that have Remington 700 Classics in caliber 35 Whelen - thats not a 358 Winchester but none the less its a bolt action 35 caliber Rifle!
I have seen two of those three 35 Whelen owners kill mature Bull Elk with a single shot apiece using their Classic 35 Whelen's!
The folks at Remington offered the 35 Whelen in the 700 Classic back in 1988.
I have a couple of Winchester Model 70's in caliber 358 Winchester but they are so rare and valuable nowadays that I could never take them afield.
At one time I also owned a Winchester Model 88 in caliber 358 Winchester - I wish I had THAT ONE back!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Mathman: I finally found my 2,009 Remington catalog, and the 2,009 CDL - SF "Limited Edition" "Classic" definitely was in caliber 257 Roberts!
According to my records that is a "duplication" of "Class-isity" from 1982 when they offered the 257 Roberts back then in the 700 Classic for THAT year!
I do remember back in 1985 at all the Gunshows on the northern west coast the Canadian Hunters (and a few Canadian guides) were haunting the American Gunshows for the 700 Classic of that year which was offered in 350 Remington Magnum!
It seems they had run out of Remington carbines (660's or 600's - I forget) in that 350 Remington Magnum Caliber and wanted to replenish their needs for that caliber.
To this day Classics in 350 Remington Magnum are rather "pricey".
I don't know if the issue is now "clouded" like you describe - maybe it is - but again I trade guns with lots of folks who don't seem confused or hesitant to refer to the recent 700 CDL - SF "Limited Editions" as "Classics".
I shared Gunshow tables with my main man Dan from Enumclaw, Washington and he had a new in the box 257 Roberts CDL - SF and it WAS the most handled Rifle at that Missoula, Montana Gunshow this spring!
He could have sold it many dozens of times (maybe 10 DOZEN!) as that Rifle has absolutely outstandingly beautiful wood on it!
Alas - my friend is kind of an ego-istic guy and he was just trolling his "gem" to get attention I think!
I even offered to buy it from him, BUT NOOOOO.... he wouldn't sell - I'll get even with him!
Long live the Remington 700 Classic (or CDL - SF "Limited Edition") line!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
They could do a real classic-30-30 win, in the 7600 with a 20" tube.

BMT
Or build 788's again...in 30/30.
How bout just build one that shoots straight.

Har!
Originally Posted by Jericho

I always did too. So much, I have a stainless 35cal bbl, M700 SA BDL action and a SA Classic stock waiting for after hunting season for a trip to the gunsmith.

Remington should do another run of the Classics over again.

My vote is for a Model 700 CDL - SF "Limited Edition" in 7X57!
I thought they did one of the real "Classics" in 7x57. Have you done a search on gun broker? Or checked the Remington site?
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I thought they discontinued the Classic series altogether either last year or the year before?
Me too...................547.
Originally Posted by stillbeeman
I thought they did one of the real "Classics" in 7x57. Have you done a search on gun broker? Or checked the Remington site?

I have one of the "real" classics in 7X57, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want one in stainless with a fluted barrel! grin
Besides they did that, what, 25 years ago? It's time for a new 7X57 from Big Green.
Teeder: The 7x57 was offered in the Remington 700 Classic back in 1981 or 28 years ago.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
JohnMoses: Are you inferring that the Remington Classics "do not shoot straight"?
If you are, I have a ton of experience that directly differs with your contention!
Let me relay JUST ONE example of a Remington 700 Classics documented accuracy for now!
Years ago I bought a Remington 700 Classic in 222 Remington caliber - never did a thing to it besides the compulsory trigger job and I mounted a Lyman 10 power scope on it and torqued the action screws.
The FIRST handload I tried in that Rifle produced a group (5 shots at 100 yards) that measured .451"!
Now lets recap here a moment - this is a LIGHT barreled all factory stock Rifle shooting ITS FIRST test load using Varmint type bullets with a 10 power scope and it makes a group (5 shots at 100 yards) that measures .451"!
I think surely you jest, but in case you aren't jesting, that Rifle continues to shoot exceptionally "STRAIGHT" - to this day. Its best group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .373".
My last 6 trips to the range with this Rifle (all in different years!) produced 6 groups (all 5 shots at 100 yards) for sight in verification that AVERAGED .593"!
Show me a comparable Rifle from another "maker" that will do this well - PLEASE!
Cause I'll start buying them!
And, I was SO impressed with that Remington 700 Classic Rifle that some years later I came across another one just like it and I bought it also.
If you are NOT "jesting" with your contention then I will relay to you how STRAIGHT that other Remington Classic Rifle shoots!
Long live Big Green!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Or they could build a Real Classic, a 600....in a usable deer round shootable by all, a 250/3000, so marked, oh, make the bbl the original config, but stretch to 20-22". Either fine bead blue/nice wood, or SS/Syn with fine bead blasted for glare.

Nah, would not make the bean counters happy either, nor sound sexy enough for the board.

VG, I never had a bad 222, but I did have a quirky 700 Classic Swede! Last 2-3" of lands were damaged as if a crowning pilot had gouged them. Yes, accuracy was adversely affected and yes I was the original owner, gun new in box. Killed a few deer, and sold it. NICE wood though, w/proper 8 twist (something they goofed on their 260s) but damaged bore - would have EASILY been seen w/eye on inspection, but the bean counters must have said send it out the door!

VG, I am happy your experienced mirrored what I had with a few, but not with ALL as I had some rotten Rems and that's just the facts. Good ones are nice, bad ones you just want to cuss and make you try other rifles like Ruger even in #1s and find they can/do shoot VERY well out the box and none of the 5 I had ever came with the defects off the assembly line and out the door of Big Green. I know mileage varies among all. Ruger and Sako are my current go to deer rifles, and a Dakota (pre-Rem) in 6BR is paper/varmints and soon to be broken in on deer also. All 3 shoot fine out the box, and I never once wish I had a Rem to replace.

It's nice we all have options to find what works best for us.

Re: 358, since it's a Win round, I always thought the "Ultra Light Mannlicher', WINCHESTER that is, in Mannlicher stock would have been a NATURAL, but the custom shops nearly 3k price tag was a road block. If they built it now at a Ruger RSI price, I would put my order in today.

Well, here is one such gun, how about that....but 5,500. Must have doubled with our 'hyper-inflation' LOL.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/93763516...0_CUSTOM_MANNLICHER_IN_RARE_358_WIN.htm#

For some reason, many of the "Classic" edition were real shooters. I have two, one in .35 Whelen and one in .257 Roberts. I have a couple of friends who also have them, in .30-06, .300 Win and .375 H&H and all of those rifles have been really good shooters. Both of mine have trigger jobs but nothing else and they are consistently MOA or better (when I am up to the task!)
I had a shooting buddy, an MD, who had a good relationship with a major wholesaler rep. He was told that Rem's with a 'C' on the underneath of the bolt handle, were mfg. out of the custom shop. Prior to him commenting and me seeing the 'C' on other non-classics, I thought the C was only done on Classics.

I believe ALL the Classic's I have owned and examined have this 'C' stamp, yet I found other 700s I owned long ago, having the 'C' that were not IIRC for example a 220 Swift in VSSF, that gun shot a group it seems of .297, and I think for 5 shots at 100 yds. Later for whatever reason, that same gun and load being used had a few cases that blew some primers and maybe case head failures, cannot recall the details, but it was sold. It was a shooter. The MD above always wanted to check for the 'C' on any 700, and I think the XP100s had them as well - he had a custom shop mfg. 22-250 w/HB and I think it had the mark.

There may be some truth in the 'C' stamp coming from the custom shop, but with Rem's 'platform' ALL guns that leave the factory should be VOID of the multitude of plaqued guns I bought New in Box back in the 90s. Perhaps their QC has improved, but I continue hearing enough reports on bad shooters that I won't risk my money. I know Rem lovers out there hate it when I speak about my experiences. It's no slam on the owners, nor rebuttal on the great experiences others have, just a reporting of my experiences. I had another 220 Swift, a VS that I set in a BDL varmint stock as it felt better to me. I think I removed the pressure pad and perhaps glass bedded the action. That gun shot half MOA consistently, another very good shooter, and it may have had the 'C' I cannot recall, and I took another like gun, a 3rd I had bought and sold to a buddy. One was a 24" the other a 26", they shot identical, my buddy even won a few local matches to 415 yds using it in a BR shoot we have here. The Swifts seemed like very strong shooters, perhaps Swift owners demand more but it is an accurate round, despite known for case stretching that is a PIA. Ironically I owned a 26" VLS that was in 223, floated, etc. etc. did everything to get that gun to really shoot and the best it would do was around 5/8-3/4, poor for a HB 223 700 in my book. Later a deuce BDL sporter shot around 3/8 for 3, it was a shooter. Something was not right with the 223, action squareness, chamber job, and/or bore dimensions/consistency, or stress in the bbl. For those above good shooters, I have had a greater number of 7s and 700s with issues, accuracy and otherwise. Owned a deuce, 243, and 350RM in 600s and none had issue, the first two drove tacks w/pitted bores, short stiff tubes and likely nicely squared actions from the factory were why. A 788 deuce also shot half moa with a former owners botched job of shortening the bbl/crowning, a joke, and the bore seemed not in great condition either.

I would trust any 700 made pre 85 or so for quality and accuracy, as in my experience, they started having issues around the early 90s, and I do mean I owned and seen alot of them with problems. If Rem had QC like say Sako, and refused to allow bad ones to go out the door, then Rem could perhaps have retained more shooters like me, but demanding shooters who have had a run of bad luck with the bad guns that Rem let out, were forever burned and Rem's Customer Service is often, 'it shoots spec' which is like 2-2.5" or so, which flies in the face that their beloved 700 ads say, 'the most accurate rifle out the box' which does not hold water for me.

As to Classics, I can fathom that better detail was put forth, but if so, I have no explanation as to why my Swede had blatant tooling marks in the bore.

I do say if my Swede HAD a good bbl, I likely would have kept it, the stock had nice wood, very, and I had a great round chambered. It also had a good feel/balance. Probably fit me better than any save the LSS MR in SA.
Originally Posted by 65BR
I had a shooting buddy, an MD, who had a good relationship with a major wholesaler rep. He was told that Rem's with a 'C' on the underneath of the bolt handle, were mfg. out of the custom shop. Prior to him commenting and me seeing the 'C' on other non-classics, I thought the C was only done on Classics.

All my Chrome-moly Remington actions have a "C" under the bolt handle and my stainless ones have an "S." None of them are Classics or Custom shop rifles...

RH
I am quite certain not all Chrome Moly rifles had the C, and it was initially to my understanding reserved for Custom Shop guns and Classics, and apparently those which were coming from the Custom Shop.

Maybe other Rem owners can chime in but I had many Rems w/o such 'C' marking, and I don't recall any SS having an 'S' and I had several.

I'd be curious to know the facts myself, again I was reporting what another person told me, but you know how that goes.
Ya just never know when it comes to what Remington thinks/does. No jab at you and I hope you didn't take it that way.

RH
"Re: 358, since it's a Win round, I always thought the "Ultra Light Mannlicher', WINCHESTER that is, in Mannlicher stock would have been a NATURAL, but the custom shops nearly 3k price tag was a road block. If they built it now at a Ruger RSI price, I would put my order in today."
Interesting comment. back in IIRC, 1982, I talked to the Ruger rep about them bringing the RSI out in .358 Win. I thought that would be a fanyastic rifle to have. His answer, and I quoye vebatim, "NO [bleep] WAY!" quite loudly as a matter of fact as quite a few heads turned and looked. I still think it's a damned good idea. I habe three RSI's in .308 Win. two are quite slim as they should be for that type rifle but number three is a bit thicker in the middle and a tad more clubby. I have seriously given thought to taking one of my standard Ruger 77s in .358 (I have two) and seeing if I can't put it into that slightly more stout stock. The rear sight wouldn't be a problem and I'm sure the muzzle cap an be made to fit, but I'm not all that sure about the front sight. I dunno if it's sweated on or integral with the barrel. Probably sweated, but I just don't know. Thore RSI's are not the most accurate kid on the block, but I do love them for the way they handle and their looks.

VG. I have a few Remington 700s and two, an ADL and BDL in 30-06 were fair when it came to accuracy. The ADL was bad enough that I got rid of it a few years back. The BDL is fair at best but falls within my consistant accuracy level so I'll keep it.
My consistant accuracy level is 1.5" or less (preferably less day in and day out, year in and year out. I put that rifle into an early (1982) H&S Precision fiberthane stock and it falls into that level of accuracy. The key is "consistant".
I have two of the remington classics, a 30-06 which was never a part of those limited runs and it is decently accurate running anywhere from 1.0" to 1 .25" depending on the load. The other clasic, a .35 Whelen may or may not be a decent shooter. It does act like it wants to shoot, but the very crappy gritty rough POS trigger makes it difficult to shoot from the bench. It's like running two rat tail files against each other. The two 06's have great triggers, no grating, no creep and both are from NIB guns I bought at gun stores. The .35 Whelan classic I found at a gun show, and I'm betting that's why the guy sold it. He had trouble with the trigger too.
I won't even go into the trouble my ex-some-in-law has gone through with his Remington .257 Robt. stainles commemorative rifle. So far, it's gone back to Remington, and when it came back, it had no extractor. I must say it's a fairly accurate rifle though, even if you have to use a cleaning rod to remove the fired case. Remington is sending him two new extractors with profuse apologies.
The only other remington I've had in centerfire is my old M660 in .308 Win. It too now sits in an early H&S Precision stock that I bought at the same time as the one for the M700. That rifle is a good shooter as well and is extremely consistant. I did the stock job on that one in late 1982 and every year it put three 165 gr. Speer hot-cores exactly 3.0" inches high at 100 yards; exactly where I want them to go. Can't ask for anything better than that. The only repair it's ever had was I had to replace the extractor that had worn out. I was doing a lot of cast bullet shooting at the time (still do) and after over 5,000 rounds, the thing just flat wore out.
Paul B.
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Jericho

I always did too. So much, I have a stainless 35cal bbl, M700 SA BDL action and a SA Classic stock waiting for after hunting season for a trip to the gunsmith.

Remington should do another run of the Classics over again.

Limited CDL SF in .358win would be nice!
Jerico

I got tired of waiting for that to happen so I had a short action rebored to 358Win and put it in a Classic stock. grin

WN
Just for reference:

[Linked Image]

I believe the "Model 700 CDL SF Limited Edition" has become the new one-chambering-per-year, limited edition Model 700 rifle replacing the Model 700 Classic in the product line.

-Bob F.
I do recall not buying a Classic 350RM at a Dallas gun show back in the mid 90s, had some awesome wood and they are said to be good shooters. I think the latest 350 Rem came out with looking like the originals just turned people off with the useless vent rib and all. I have no clue, who sits around dreaming up ideas for new products.

Anyways, Himmelrr, not received in that way. I learn alot here, don't know everything, and hope to keep learning. When I am wrong, and I have and sure to be wrong again, or if my information is not factual, I am happy for others to educate me. I am sure there are times when my experiences offend others thought it is never intended, but I do my best to share everything, 'just how it is/was for me' and not twist anything. I appreciate others being frank and blunt as it serves nobody to BS things.

The 358 is one round like the 250-3000, I see as a fine classic that DESERVES to live on by it's merits, and get more industry support in new guns/ammo.

In the meantime, I could see a day putting one together on an L579 Sako, M70 SA w/Claw extractor, or a Kimber. Using cheap pistol bullets is a nice option for handloaders. My Ruger 350 did Awful things to gallon water jugs at 200 yds, w/158s! Fore me, it beats punching holes in paper anyday.

I also like 20-22" bbls and the 35 bore has a nice expansion ratio that works very well in said length.

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
HawkI: I agree with you most whole heartedly!
I would give a good tooth if only Remington would offer a "Classic" in 222 Remington Magnum!
Hold into the wind VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy,

A Classic M-700 is so easy to come by, I'd wonder why you just don't make one... All you have to do is buy an early production M-700 in .222 Rem Mag and bolt it into a "Classic" stock, and there you go... At one time all my M-700's were in Classic stocks up until Remington introduced the CDL stock. Now most of them wear the CDL stock.

BTW, my .222 Rem Mag, is an early one with 20" bbl. I put it into a S/A Mtn rifle stock prior to the introduction of the CDL replete with an 8x36 Leupold, it makes a very nice handling package... smile

Grasshopper
Someone asked earlier and yes the 2009 was in .257 Roberts and is still available. It's even on the Remington website still. No idea on 2010.
I just don't know about that "C". The custom shop at Remington is so backed up I find it hard to believe that they are making rifles that are sold thru regular outlets. Except for a couple of project rifles, mine are locked up in a vault that I can only get to during business hours. Kinda a PIA but safe while I relocate.
Stillbeeman, my stint with Rem guns ended around 1997 or so. The guns I was speaking of were built from then backwards a decade that I referred to, again, not sure of the specifics/truths around the comment, but noticed in MY guns and some examined, some had them and some did not.

Good idea to keep them safe! I welcome Rem owners to let me know if their's have the 'C' or not. For the record, surprise to me, the 270 DBL/SS I just checked that my son inherited does have the 'S' so the poster above, that mirrors your note.

I would not find it hard to imagine certain ltd. run rifles/Xp'100s came out the custom shop, or at least the action. If so, it's to give them more attention, or to keep those personnel busy, or just relieve the main production line I don't know, just thinking of possibilities.

Additionally, the M700 Classics began in 1978 (maybe 1977) thru 1980 as a regular production rifle available in the common L/A cartridges (270, 06, 7RM and a few others). I don't know if they were available in S/A. I have a 1978 Classic in 270.

Casey

Originally Posted by BFaucett
Just for reference:

[Linked Image]

I believe the "Model 700 CDL SF Limited Edition" has become the new one-chambering-per-year, limited edition Model 700 rifle replacing the Model 700 Classic in the product line.

-Bob F.
I've got a classic in 6.5x55 and a 2006 CDL in .30-06, also an RMEF in .300 SAUM.

now they seem to be making the CDL in one unique caliber per year with floor plate artwork in addition to several common calibers without the artwork.

they also make the RMEF in a single caliber per year, this year is a .30-06 and I REALLY want one... (problem is there are more "really wants" than my bank account can handle at once) the RMEF is an XCR with a camo stock.

[Linked Image]

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/centerfire/700_xcr_rmef_410.jpg

so, I always look at the Remington website around the new year with anticipation to see what they chose!

I think Remington has a rule that they only chamber calibers that the ammo division sells ammo for.

shoot good

Poole
http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/

The Classic was offered a few years ago in 223, so figure some other chamberings were also made on the SA. Really like those Classic stocks.
Below is a list of all calibers Remington had produced in the Model 700 only. Classic's are noted in the year produced. This is from the Remington Website:

17 Rem (1971 � Present, 1999 Classic)
204 Ruger (2004 � Present)
220 Swift (1992 � Present, 1992 Classic)
221 Fireball (2002 Classic, 2002 � Present standard offering)
222 Rem (1962 � Present)
222 Rem Mag (1962 � 1968, 1993 Classic)
223 Rem (1967 � Present, 2000 Classic)
22-250 Rem (1965 � Present)
243 Win (1962 � Present)
6mm Rem (1962 � Present)
25-06 (1970 � Present, 1990 Classic)
250 Savage (1984 Classic)
257 Roberts (1991 � 1995, 1982 Classic)
6.5x55 Swedish (1994 Classic)
6.5mm Rem Mag (1969 � 1973)
260 Rem (1997 � Present)
264 Win Mag (1962 � 1977, 1986 Classic)
270 Win (1962 � Present)
270 WSM (2005)
280 Rem (1962 � 1967, 1991 � Present; 1997 Classic)
7mm Express Rem (1977 -1983)
7mm-08 Rem (1979 � Present, 2001 Classic)
7mm Rem Mag (1962 � Present)
7mm STW (1997 � 2002; 2003 - Present Custom Shop only)
7mm Wby Mag (1991 � 1995, 1991 Classic)
7x57 Mauser (1989 � 1995, 1981 Classic)
7mm Rem Short Action Ultra Mag (2003 � Present)
7mm Rem Ultra Mag (2000 � Present)
30-06 Sprg (1962 � Present)
300 Savage (1991 � 1993, 2003 Classic)
308 Win (1962 � Present, 2005 Classic)
300 WSM (2005)
300 Win Mag (1965 � Present, 1995 Classic)
300 Wby Mag (1989 Classic, 1990 - 2000 standard offering, 2002 � Present Custom Shop only)
300 H&H Mag � 1983 Classic
300 Rem Short Action Ultra Mag (2003 � Present)
300 Rem Ultra Mag (1999 � Present)
8mm Rem Mag (1977 � 1984, 1986 � Present Custom Shop only, 1998 Classic)
8mm Mauser (2004 Classic)
338 Win Mag (1987 Classic, 1988 Custom Shop, 1989 � 2002 standard offering, 2003 Custom Shop only)
338 Rem Ultra Mag (2000 � Present)
35 Whelen (1988 � 2003, 2005; 1988 Classic; 2004 - Custom Shop)
350 Rem Mag (1969 � 1973,1985 � 1986, 1985 Classic)
375 H&H Mag(1962 � 1970 standard offering, 1971 � Present Custom Shop only, 1996 Classic)
375 Rem Ultra Mag (2001 � Present)
416 Rem Mag (1989 � Present Custom Shop only)
458 Win Mag (1962 � 1970 standard offering, 1971 � Present Custom Shop only)
In 2009, the 700 CDL SF Ltd Edition was offered in .257 Roberts. According to Remington, this was the 4th chambering offered in the annual series: Remington.com

Previous offerings were as follows:

2006: .30-06
2007: .17 Rem Fireball
2008: .260 Rem

According to GunsAmerica.com, the 2010 offering will be a .280 Remington: GunsAmerica.com

Remington also offers the same rifle in non-limited editions in the following chamberings:

.257 Wby Mag
.270 Win
.270 WSM
7mm-08 Rem
7mm Rem Mag
300 WSM

GunsAmerica says the .280 Rem is the next in a series of 25, which seems like a lot for one rifle, but I'd be curious to know if anybody else has heard of this, and if so, what the next offerings will be for 2011 and 2012. (I want it in a .25-06 Rem!!)

I haven't read anything about the CDL SF replacing the 700 Classic Deluxe as the one-chamber-per-year offering, but it stands to reason.

Also, for the fans of Remington and the .257 Weatherby, here's a good side-by-side comparison between the Remington 700 and the Weatherby Mark V: RealGuns.com
Alpinecrick: From 1978 through 1985 the Remington Model 700 Classic was available in calibers 22-250 Remington, 243 Winchester, 6mm Remington (1978-1983), 7mm Remington Magnum, 270 Winchester and 30/06 Springfield.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Grasshopper: I am pretty sure those early Remington 700 ADL's in caliber 222 Remington Magnum had sights adorning their sporter weight barrels - did they not?
I guess I could always unscrew the sights from the barrel?
I saw a rather nice Remington 722 in caliber 222 Remington Magnum just a couple of weeks ago at a gunshop out on the west coast (Renton, Washington) - unfortunately my friend that owns the shop knew what he had and was not interested in selling said Rifle!
DRAT!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Buy a copy of THE 700 BOOK all you questions will be answered.
Kevinh1157: Could you please CORRECT your informative posting in this one instance: you show the Remington 700 being available in 222 Remington Magnum as being the "Classic" offering in 1993!
You missed by one caliber the 222 Remington was the "Classic" offering in 1993!
One reason I am sure of this is I purchased not ONE but TWO of the 1993 Classics and they both indeed are in caliber 222 Remington, NOT 222 Remington Magnum - as you indicate.
Again the 222 Remington Magnum has not as yet been offered in the Classic line of Model 700's - in fact the 222 Remington Magnum was only offered for a very short time in the 700 Model and then only in the ADL configuration.
Once you kindly correct that (edit it for me) I am going to copy that handy list and keep it with me on my gun scouting travels!
TIA!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Oldman1942: No you are not correct in assuming all questions about the Remington 700 will be answered in this book - the MAIN reason being that it was written in 1988 and published in 1989!
Thats 10 years old at least!
Maybe 11 or 12 years old?
AND the cheapest one of these books I could find just now on-line is $89.00 (not including shipping) or a "new" condition copy can be had for $188.00 (not including shipping).
Lots of Remington 700's produced from 1988 to 2,009 (2,010?) - a million or two - wouldn't you think - along with lots of model changes and calibers added etc?
For instance I won a wager from an acquaintance of mine some years ago when he took umbrage as I relayed to him I had a factory Remington 700 26" heavy barrel Varmint Rifle in caliber 17 Remington - he "knew" Remington had never made such a Rifle and cited some book (I assume its the one you are referencing?) that did not mention or show said Rifle.
The wager's settlement had to wait until I could physically carry my Rifle to him and show it to him.
You should have seen the color of his cheeks at the moment of settlement!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
65BR: Pardon my slow reply to your interesting posting of October 9th!
I have been away a lot Hunting Antelope then Mule Deer then Whitetail Deer then Elk and of recent have been Hunting Ducks and Geese - in between all that I had to make a trip out to the west coast which took 10 days to do.
I will comment on your interesting post ASAP - I am tonight entertaining the VarmintSons who are both home from out of state colleges, and who are both intent on commandeering more of my "gun money" to give to their liberal proffessors!!!
Again, will comment later tonight or early tomorrow before the VarmintSons arise from their slumber!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by kjb1382

According to GunsAmerica.com, the 2010 offering will be a .280 Remington: GunsAmerica.com

I hope that's true! I have the 1997 700 Classic in 280 Rem. I like the 280 Rem. As much as I don't need another "deer size" rifle, I'd probably get a 700 CDL SF in 280 Rem. if they do make them.
Agree the 700 book is dated but it is the only reference book on them (and 721/722/725) as well. As for $200 for a book, I'm a book publisher and my second biggest seller thus far (after Sixguns by Keith) is an engraving book that the first printing of still sells for $200.(2500 sold and counting).

I have 2 700s now both were 300 H&H Classics that became donors for a 244 H&H and a 400 H&H. My 721 300 H&H is a far superior rifle to either of them "as issued"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
Originally Posted by kjb1382

I hope that's true! I have the 1997 700 Classic in 280 Rem. I like the 280 Rem. As much as I don't need another "deer size" rifle, I'd probably get a 700 CDL SF in 280 Rem. if they do make them.

I saw that too. Spoke to my local Remington dealer and told him to put me down for one if it's true.
The Classic model has not been produced for several years with their current model being call a "Limited Edition". I really hate to see Remington make another 280. It's a great caliber but all current production 280s from Remington have a 1x10 twist which really limits high end bullet weights and optimizing ballistic coefficients.
30378: I think you are wrong.
In 2,008 Remington produced a special Limited Edition "classic caliber" edition of their 700 CDL SF (Classic DeLuxe Stainless Fluted) in caliber 260 Remington.
Then in 2,009 Remington produced a special Limited Edition "classic caliber" edition of their 700 CDL SF (Classic DeLuxe Stainless Fluted) in caliber 257 Roberts!
I am only going to list these couple of years for demonstrative purposes - you can look up the other recent years for yourself!
These 700 CDL SF's "Limited Editions" adhere to the "CLASSIC" heritage as they are in classic calibers, that caliber runs for one year, they have 24" barrels, the barrels have NO sights, the barrels have a sporter weight contour, the stock has "classic lines", the stock has NO cheekpiece or Monte Carlo and on and on!
Anyway these 700 CDL SF Limited Editions in the select caliber of the year are classy and CLASSIC Rifles and adhere pretty much to the original Classic them thus THEY ARE "CLASSICS"..
The theme is the same as those prior years when the Classic had a shorter name and was in a chosen "caliber of the year" - Remington has pepped up the name a tad of recent but the HERITAGE has not changed.
The 280 Remington is a splendid cartridge and the Rifle I own in that caliber shoots exceptionally well and has killed Whitetailed Deer, Mt. Goat, Black Bear, Elk, Mule Deer, Blacktailed Deer and Antelope - and it has a 1 in 10" twist!
In other words - this 280 of mine has Hunted (after all we are on the Hunting Rifles thread!) a LOT - and done so VERY successfully with its 1 in 10" twist!
I can see no reason why the 280 Remington in the Remington 700 CDL SF "Limited Edition" won't do the same and be POPULAR amongst Hunters.
I shoot 140 grain Nosler Partitions in my 280 Remington Rifle by the way.
You were right about one thing though - the 280 Remington is a GREAT CALIBER!
In a year or two I hope to add Caribou to my list of Big Game harvested with my 280 Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: I still wish the Remington folks would one year soon choose the 222 Remington Magnum as the classic caliber of the year in their 700 CDL SF "Limited Edition".
Come on Big Green!
I see in my latest edition of the American Hunter Magazine that Remington just produced their TEN MILLIONTH (10,000,000!) Model 870 shotgun!
Now that is crankin'em out!
Here is a link to their add for the Limited Edition. There is not one mentioned word of classic anywhere on the entire page. I own one of the 2008 models in 260 and it is nothing more then the SF CDL with special etching on the floor plate to designate the 260 caliber.

http://www.remington.com/products/f...00/model-700-cdl-sf-limited-edition.aspx

[Linked Image]
Can't say a mag barrel .280 in SS & walnut really moves me, but the same in 25-06 might.

Nonetheless, I'd not be surprised to see or hear that these new 280s sell well. Unless I'm terribly mistaken, the last reg production m700s in 280 included a blued/walnut CDL model and the more recent SS Limited in stainless w/ the black & grey laminated stock. Both of those models dried up quick and are now fairly hard to find on the used market.
As for the "C" stamping on the underside of the bolt I believe it is simply a designation of chrome moly steel. The 3 I just checked all had a C or S stamping. 2006 BDL had a "C" stamp and no way in he11 it came from the custom shop. It binds when cocking, the bolt handle is so far back on the bolt body it has almost no camming action at all. Second 700 was a varmint synthetic from 2004 with a "C" stamp. Third gun checked is a 2008 Sendero SFII with a "S" for stainless. I know for a fact my "C" stamped guns didn't go through any custom shop. Especially the poorly made BDL. I haven't ordered a gun sight unseen since.
if its a .280 I guess I need to put some $$$ into the budget for that later in the year....

I wonder what the 2010 RMEF will be.

I wish they would update the website, I've been checking every day!

Poole
Originally Posted by Teeder
My vote is for a Model 700 CDL - SF "Limited Edition" in 7X57!

Teeder,

Was thinking you had one of the earlier model Mountain Rifles in 7x57? Or was that your Bob?
There is a gunshop in Nebraska called Don's Hobby Guns. He specializes in Remingtons. He is taking orders for the 2010 Limited Edition CDL in 280 Remington. He has a website and sells guns on GunsAmerica.
me too 280 is the way to go
I HAVE A 700 IN 280 REM ABOUT A 1962 OR 63 YEAR MODEL WITH METAL BUTT PLATE AND LOVE IT NEED A NEW ONE TO GO WITH OLD ONE
Hi guys, OK so here is the deal. My dad passed away in June and i got (among other things)a 1985 700 Clasic in 350 Rem mag with box and papers, never even had a round in the chamber. After thinking about it for a few months i mounted a 1.5 to 6 Bausch&Lomb Balvar on it and was going to sight it in and hunt with it some. I have several other rifles so i don't need to use this one. Some folks say they are pretty pricey in this condition,so my question is ,how pricey,and what do you guys think, leave it pristine or shoot it? Opinions Please! Thanks Guy
Shoot it, hunt with it, and remember your father when you do it. You will grow to cherish the rifle.

Expat
Was talkin to a friend of mine and his boss is at the shot show in Vegas and accourding to him the new CDL SF limited for 2010 is the 280 cartridge!!!!
I believe it was a 308. the 8x57 was the year before that.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the 2010 700 Classic is chambered for 221 Fireball. Not sure why, as they did it in 2001. A guy on HuntingPA.com has a new 700 Classic with very nice wood.
the CDL Limited edition is still stainless on walnut, .280 Rem

the RMEF is in the new finish XCR-II which is stainless with a black finish, new for this year, replaces the silver finished XCR. It actually looks pretty nice. It is .300 RUM this year

I told them at the shot show that every year right at the beginning of the year, I always check the website to see what calibers those two guns will be in, and I was disappointed that they had not yet updated the website.

Poole
I put it into a S/A Mtn rifle stock prior to the introduction of the CDL replete with an 8x36 Leupold, it makes a very nice handling package... smile

Grasshopper [/quote]

GREAT combination, add the early square headed safety lever and
have Remington bring it out in 2010!
© 24hourcampfire