Home
Posted By: Kaveman Steyr SBS fans - 10/26/09
Just wondering if anybody else hunts with a Steyr SBS/Prohunter/SBS Tactical. I have owned two, both in .308 w 20" BBL and they have been the most accurate rifles under $1000 I've ever had my hands on...Sub-MOA groups are the norm.

Don't leave them in a closet though...I know a guy who made that mistake and they multiplied... whistle
Posted By: toad Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/26/09
i have a Steyr Pro Hunter mountain in .376 Steyr. it's deadly accurate, but i had to send the bolt in and get the small round handle installed. i couldn't stand the butterknife handle.

anyway, i put a Leupold MK4 1.5-5 on it in mounts for Browning A-Bolt.

CDNN Sports had magazines in stock a while back, so i bought plenty to keep the gun in service.

Posted By: smithrjd Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/26/09
I have a ProHunter in 6.5 X 57, got it for under $500 NIB because of the "odd" caliber. Shoots well under MOA with handloads. As it has a plastic stock I have no resevations taking it out on the rough hunts. Just plain works well. Very under rated rifle in my opinion. Some don't like the looks but I have no issues with the "function"
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/26/09
I have owned a few dozen. right now i have 2 tacticl 20" LW a HBC, a classic carbine 308, a 7x64 bren and a 376.
Even the 376 shoots .75" groups w/ 235 gr. speer over 66 gr of VARGET.
they are all shooters.
what part of SC are you in?
Saturday my wife shot an 8 shot group at 200 yards into 3" from various hunting positions.
i pulled this one shot. it was me not the rifle...
[Linked Image]

this is with a hornady hunting bullet...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 5Bshooter Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/26/09

Elk hunting up high in CO. The guides Savage [on the right] was about the polar opposite of my Steyr. whistle
[Linked Image]

I love this rifle! 300WSM, shoots 3 touching at 100 [Federal MRX loads]had our gunsmiths permanently attach a 1" decel to one of the spacer plates. Glass is a S&B 2.5~10x56ILL.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
man, thats nice. you dont see many w/ iron sights.
Posted By: TCB Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
I've had quite a few and still own two. One of the best rifles made regardless of coin dropped! Tony
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
I currently own three; two .308's and a .280. All three will shoot Sub MOA. I love them and wish I had purchased more before the price went through the roof in the late 90's. The Steyr SBS Prohunter is not very popular on here get ready for the critics!
Posted By: NathanL Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
I have one and used to be real high on recommending them. The price in the last few years has just about doubled where I find them, that has kind of killed some of the buzz to me.
Posted By: Kaveman Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
Thanks for the replies guys. Ringworm, seems like you and your wife both are excellent shots, impressive groups. I actually am hunting with the same load: 41.5gr H4895, 165gr BTSP. You are a lucky man to own an HBC...most people don't even know what that is.

What's this about the SBS not being a popular rifle on here? How do you NOT like a rifle that can shoot like a match rifle, but in a 20" carbine configuration?

Ringworm, I'm originally from the upstate, but work all over...where are you from? Mabey we can go shoot Steyrs and smoke cigars if I'm in your area...I love the smell of a Cohiba when you light it on fire.
Posted By: toad Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
Nathan, my other gripe is lack of support here in the U.S. parts and magazines are hard to find much of the time.

but i found a pic of my .376. (before the round bolt handle install)

[Linked Image]
lack of parts and support is an old gripe that doesnt exist anylonger.
the idea that you cant buy parts for an anvil is equal in value.
I just sent a bolt to Jeff in AL to have the cam switched to ease bolt lift. seems you were able to get a round bolt knob for your 376... thats what $38 + postage?
how does that reflect a lack of suport?
an the comedien henny youngman would say..."compared to what?"
are there as many sources of parts and gunsmiths for steyr as remington?
I ask..."does there need to be?"

i like my .376, but it is far from anvil tough. too many small parts in the bolt assembly.

and good, maybe you can point me to a supply of hi-cap .376 mags.

small parts in the bolt?

are you tring to convince me or someone else?
#1 the bolt body
#2 the firing pin assembly
#3 the bolt shroud
3 parts? none smaller than a zippo lighter. what parts are you removing?
the collar has to heated to remove it as does the bolt handle. the extractor would never need to be removed.
as far as mags go...
how many do you need?
the magazine body and follower are the same as a 308 series magazine. buy a 308 magazine and open it up by equally removing plastic from either side toll it mics out to the same as your grey magazine. my steyrs only hold one magazine at a time.
or you could just buy them NIW from steyr ...
http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/magazines/auto-24.html
Posted By: Ready Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/27/09
Originally Posted by toad
Nathan, my other gripe is lack of support here in the U.S. parts and magazines are hard to find much of the time.

but i found a pic of my .376. (before the round bolt handle install)

[Linked Image]

Good looking gun - what kind of 'tapeing' is that?
it's skateboard or step safety tape. it sticks pretty will and add serious grip.

ring, who are you trying to convince? me or yourself? i'm not talking about losing [bleep]. small parts break. like the cocking cam. or the circlip holding mainspring tension.

and i see no HI-CAP .376 mags in your link. and yes, i've been there before looking. it's nice they have some of the mags listed now, tho.

376 high caps? thats a different animal. having problems w/ hippos in your food plots?
by the cocking cam i assume you are taling about the collar on the bolt correct? its a solid milled steel ring. If it does use this part "Improved Bolt Cam--2600040011H $25" i know they have them in stock because i just sent a classic's bolt to jeff to have the new part installed to ease the bolt lift.
anyway... hows it break?
besides they are in stock. I just had jeff install one on a sbs classic to lighten the bolt lift.

[Linked Image]
call jack at the phone number and ask him about HC 376 mags. i guess you should have snapped up the ones CDNN had.
yea, hippos.

yes, i had mine upgraded to the new cam too with the bolt knob fix. by the guy who has that picture on his site.

and with the .376 Scout rifles out there, i'd have thought there would be hi-cap mags somewhere.

i'm not picking on Steyrs, i like mine. but i don't get the warm fuzzies about them when one guy personally kept the whole country in Steyr
SBS parts out of the goodness of his heart.

and i have never seen the hi cap .376 mags in stock at CDNN. must have missed them. i did get the adaptor kit there some 5 rounders from them.

but on the Steyr USA site, i can get 8x68 S hi cap mags, but no .376.

Hippos? I really don't want to know what 10rnds in one mag of .376 Steyr will take down...the Mother Ship? Godzilla? A rabid Zombie Elephant? To each his own hunt...but I'll stick with Hawgs...

Wow...Why do Steyrs make people cranky? My personal experience has been that they are accurate, tough, user friendly, and have a bolt that locks up like a bank vault. The parts are not as common as Reminton or Wichester, but the parts for a Mercedes Benz aren't as common as for a Ford F150 either...

I have an "F150" rifle..Model 70 Featherweight in .308...but It doesn't inspire the confidence that my Steyr does.

The only problem I ever had was the butter knife bolt handle interfered with a low-mount scope...either installl a round knob, or just grind it down a lil. You can kind of see it in the pictures...it's why it looks shiny...Dremel, Diamond Stone, Flitz.

Ring, I agree that the rifles don't break very often...and I'm hard on gear. The times I have needed help I've been able to find it...I even called Steyr with my first one to figure out how to put the bolt back together.... blush

Hey Ring...how did you go from an avid shooter of our favorite ray gun to the sole All King Guru of repair and production? The last Service rep I spoke to from the company was in Alabama...and the last individual distibuter I spoke to was in NC...gotta hate having all the "accolades" and none of the benifits... smirk

Attached picture Steyr SBS.jpg
Attached picture Bolt.jpg
Attached picture Bolt 2.jpg
i'd just switch over to the STD capacity mags.

clearly, if 4 rounds of 376 steyr aint killed it another few will just be more noise.

I have been shooting steyrs for a while now and have stayed in contact with every factory rep since tony was in Miss. They are some great guys at Steyr who will help you with anything and walk you thru any problem you encounter.
toad, dont get the wrong idea... im not busting your balls. im not dumb enough to FK with a guy who totes an 8 round 19" 5 pound 375 caliber rifle.
i think you dropped this...
[Linked Image]
peace brother...

Proof a .376 will turn you into Pulp and Fiction. I think I will start customizing Steyrs and engrave "BMF" on the bolt and I think I'll start with the my muffed up .308 handle...
"BMF": The MossyOak Break-Up Camo, MKIV Tactical Edition Steyr ProHunter Mountain. Or the BMF:MOBUCTESPHM, MKIV for short. cool
good for WTSHTF!

[Linked Image]
Is that a Steyr ProHunter:MK-VI RPG? Then the only problem will be parts availability during the apocalypse... whistle
i see. you guys don't need hi caps so no one should have them.

seriously i live in big bear country and thought it would make a great camp gun. thus the illuminated low power scope. 10 rounds of .375 bullets gives me the warm fuzzies. grab the gun and want for nothing.

and the .376 isn't as bad to shoot as a .338 Win i used to have. that thing hurt.

but of all is well in your little worlds, carry on with the giggling.
needing a big bore for a possible bear charge is certainly understandable. thinking that your going to have the time to fire 8 rounds is what i think is a LOOOOONG stretch.

you keep saying 10 rounds. if you have a 10 round magazine for the 376 then you do have a rare bird. last one i saw was 8 round HC and 3 RD standard.
let me go check the safe again...

whistle

yep.

SO...
what are you loading in the 376 that it shoots like a 338?
i am loading 235 gr speer over 66 gr of varget and it dang near comes out of my hands. evolved thumb and all.
i like hicaps... in 9mm's and 223's.
270 gr TSX over 62 gr H4895.

heard of a brown taking 14 rounds of .375 in AK.

and yea, i mean 8 round not 10. but i've not seen one.
375 what?

winchester?

you must be one tough SOB to eat up that recoil.

i found the iron sighted 308 scout to be abusive and i cut my baby teeth on weatherbys.

thats a max compressed load... im thinking w/ the 19" barrel you could back off a bit. either that or carry a fire extinguisher into the woods with you to put out the burn trees when you discharge it.
that loads is 46.32 pounds of Free recoil energy with a recoil velocity of 22.3 FPS.

WOOF!!!
I actually think everybody should own Hi-caps...I can see for a camp gun...if you were to be able to pack in 8rnds in the gun, it cuts down the separate articles you would be carrying (more mags).

Soooo...yes all is well in my little world of making accurate shots and conserving ammo...but mo' bullets make me sleep better to.

Some things are all in fun Toad...all in fun. Now can we talk about the Hi-Cap Steyr RPG again?

Or at least the SBS Bolt guns?
the brownie supposedly took 14 rounds of .375 H&H

so, does anyone here know if the McMillan Steyr stock will accept the .376 action? the guy at McMillan diddn't know, but thought it would not fit.

[Linked Image]
theres another one I owned. the HBC mcmillan. It was a heavy barrel carbine set in a mcmillan stock. i bought it from the Oconee County sheriff w/ a leupy tactical attop.
The stock will fit a 376 PROHUNTER, not a SCOUT. in fact the 376 barrel contour is the only one that will fit without 1/4" gaps on the sides.

The 376 action is the same action as the 308 ect. the only difference being the bolt face and the magazine followers. and the stock being opened up to fit the heavier contour.

and seriously... i think you can back off the charge a few grains without losing any velocity. burning that much 4895 in a 19" barrel is a waste. unless you intend the rifle to be a distress flare as well... cool

here is a pic of toad shooting a charging bear...

[Linked Image]

thanks, RW.

that load came from a manual, but washing it through QL shows it to be kinda hot. next batch will be reduced.
no sweat.
i have a feeling the load would disengage the rear magazine when the stock flexed.

Portable Powerhouse: the .376 Steyr Scout
By Eric S. H. Ching

On the first shot, the rifle came back briskly and the forearm jumped out of my support hand. It was not painful or punishing, but I was surprised at the amount of muzzle flip. I also noticed that the buttstock magazine was now sitting on the bench instead of nestled in the stock.

Reinserting the buttstock magazine, I took a firmer hold on the forearm and tried again. It didn't completely get away from my hand this time, but it almost did. Again the buttstock magazine did its magic and transported itself from the stock to the bench, and it happened yet again on each of the remaining two shots in the main magazine.
no problems yet, but i have the Pro-Hunter, not the Scout, so i don't have the spare mag well.
ill post a picture of mine... " the Jabberwocky", but it could frighten young viewers. grin
[Linked Image]

Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
I shot this group using my .308 Steyr Prohunter. I developed this load after the season ended so I look forward to trying it out. The load is; 130TTSX, 50.5gr of RL15, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.242 using a comparator, velocity is 3,053 fps.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
Originally Posted by ringworm
no sweat.
i have a feeling the load would disengage the rear magazine when the stock flexed.

Portable Powerhouse: the .376 Steyr Scout
By Eric S. H. Ching

On the first shot, the rifle came back briskly and the forearm jumped out of my support hand. It was not painful or punishing, but I was surprised at the amount of muzzle flip. I also noticed that the buttstock magazine was now sitting on the bench instead of nestled in the stock.

Reinserting the buttstock magazine, I took a firmer hold on the forearm and tried again. It didn't completely get away from my hand this time, but it almost did. Again the buttstock magazine did its magic and transported itself from the stock to the bench, and it happened yet again on each of the remaining two shots in the main magazine.

The rear mag on my 376 Scout doesn't pop out when shot but it does smash the heck out the bullet tips in the rear mag! I ended up going with Swift A-Frames because thier flat point doesn't get smashed as badly..........................DJ
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
I shot this group using my .308 Steyr Prohunter. I developed this load after the season ended so I look forward to trying it out. The load is; 130TTSX, 50.5gr of RL15, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.242 using a comparator, velocity is 3,053 fps.

amazing huh?
And they still fit in the magazine....
whats not to love.
Posted By: Kaveman Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
Nice paint job Ring...looks like the sky peeking through the trees...DEATH FROM ABOVE!!!.

A .376 Scout is cool in theory...but the .308 kicks hard enough as it is. On a side note..it's a nice bonus that the bolt lockup was designed strong to be used in the aluminum Scout reciever. When you put it in a steel block like the ProHunter it's a really strong system...120,000psi if I remeber the test-to-failure results right. I don't ever want to try it...but nice to have something that strong next to my face when testing new loads.

Toad...a .376 in the McMillan stock seems like an iteresting way to give a .338 Lapua a run for it's money. I thought about putting my .308 in one (not really a fan of camo guns) but it's comfy, and more accurate than I am already...didn't want to mess with it.

Ring...the HBC still makes me smile. If you talked to most of the Steyr guys, then you knew Mr. Stacy "I kill deer at 700yrds" Blankenship. That guy could make an HBC sing...He used to pull .35" 10 shot groups (full Hi-cap mag).
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
HBC [Linked Image]
VARMINT SUPPRESSED [Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaveman Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
Now that's just mean. Except for it not being aHi-Cap...it's perfect.
Posted By: toad Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/28/09
here ya go. 'cept they don't seem to do .376 Steyr anymore, but .375 Ruger is listed

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TN deer hunter Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/29/09
Originally Posted by Kaveman

The only problem I ever had was the butter knife bolt handle interfered with a low-mount scope...either installl a round knob, or just grind it down a lil. You can kind of see it in the pictures...it's why it looks shiny...Dremel, Diamond Stone, Flitz.

This is the problem I am having now. I am wanting to put some Low Talley Lightweight rings on my .280 with a 3.5-10x44 Conquest but the bolt contacts the eye piece of the scope. I just figured I would have to go with mediums and was waiting on the gun shop to get them in stock. I don't know about grinding it down the Zeiss has a larger eye piece and I'm not sure you could grind enough without a lot of work.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/29/09
w/ the 376 you WANT your cheek down on that stock firmly.
Posted By: Kaveman Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/29/09
It took me about three hours to gind it and polish it. You can just parkerize it after if you don't like the shiniy.

You can send it to Steyr in Alabama and get a round knob on it for around $50, But it really wasn't that much work and there is enough metal there to work with.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr SBS fans - 10/29/09
the ball bolt know is turned down to a greater degree than the standard butterknife at the point it contacts the eyepiece.
so if you are going to change it i would do that first and then see if you need to parkerize it.
keep in mind the ball is AL and wont take the park. in fact the park may strip off the anodize.
© 24hourcampfire