Home
Anyone prefer the tang safety on the old M77 over the newer style flip lever on the M77 Mark II?

Also What is the difference between the M77 Mark II and the Hawkeye?

What's you preference between these and why?

IMO the main difference is the Hawkeye stock. It's a lighter, better handling stock with wrap around forearm checkering. I bought one for my MKII and think it's an improvement.
Mixed feelings on the tang safety VS wing safety. One is faster the other is perhaps more secure.

The wood hawkeyes have a better stock. As for me all my MKIIs are stainless and they are slowly becomimg Mcmillianized.
I've got samples from all three generations. There are pros and cons to each-----for me anyway. In no particular order, I prefer the MkII and newer barrels, the tang-safety blued bolt handles and red recoil pad, and the Hawkeye stock profile and trigger. The matte vs. shiny metal is a toss-up.

So for me, the features and availability point to the Hawkeye being the winner of the three versions.
I think the 3 POS safety is a big upgrade and like it a lot, its way more safe. I don't care for the bead blasted bolt as it makes the action feel rougher, they should have left that in the white. another that I never see mentioned is I like how the original models bottom metal opened with the release in the bow, the mk 2 bottom metal is hard to release forget about doing it with gloves.
i used a tang wood/blue in 270 win from 72'-73' until 96', for everything in alaska (except' brown bear) and never had an issue. now use a wood/blue 30-06, also without any issues. i have handled and shot a couple hawkeyes, but don't own one. i prefer the tang safety but like the improved locking capabilities of the 3 pos. safety on the 2 newer versions. all 3 wood stock versions suite me as well. the mk2 stainless is a little too bright for me, and since i prefer blued, never gave much consideration to the newer s/s version. you should be able to find a ruger to meets your needs and expectations. they are well made rifles!
Good info. The tang safety was my dads as well (owner of Front Range Gunsmithing in CO. where I worked from '76-89'). He loves the added safety of the Mark II but still prefers the original (like the No.1s & No.3s).
I like the ergonomics of the Hawkeye the best, though I do have a few tangs around.
I'd prefer a stainless steel tang,due to the adjustable trigger..................
I've never owned a Hawkeye, so I'll have to defer to those with experience. Many years ago, I had a Ruger 77 w/tang safety and liked it, though I also like the 3-position safety on my current Ruger MK II. As others have stated, the 3-position safety is, well, safer. Though the tang safety is faster to manipulate, the newer 3-position safety has not yet cost me a game animal. I bought my MK II in Spring of 2005 and for awhile releasing the floorplate was an exercise in futility with or without gloves. However, over time and with repeated use, this has ceased to be a problem. Regarding stocks, the first thing I did, when I got my MK II, was replace the factory stock with a Hogue. It's not that I necessarily disliked the factory stock but that I really like the Hogue synthetic stocks, which fit me perfectly (especially the wide forearm). YMMV.
I like the feel of the Hawkeye but can't seem to learn to love the wing safety. Make the Hawkeye with the tang and I would be in heaven.

Dale
The devil made me do it! All this talk about tang safeties....I just put a 77RL tang safety in 257 Roberts on layaway today. Unbelieveable price on it. Couldn't pass it up since all the 257 talk on here. Made me miss the one I let go a while back. All my 77's have been the Mk II with the new safety.
Somehow I seem to be stuck in the middle with the mk II's. I really can't fault them, I hunt empty chamber and safety off, so no real up or downside of the various safeties. Accuracy has been very good in all the mk II's I've owned and shot. I also like the design of the trigger for a hunting rifle, but they do need a good gunsmith to set them to perfection.

Tangs seem to have a mixed rep on barrels and hence accuracy.

I haven't tried the hawkeyes, yet.
There seems to be ample evidence of the mixed quality on the early barrels. I'm operating on the principle of optimism.
© 24hourcampfire