Home
Posted By: 6.5whitetail What was your first ??? - 11/12/09
What was your very first deer rifle? I'm talking it was yours, not borrowed until you got bigger and so on and so forth, but your very own.

I got it when I was around 8. and it was
a cut down wood stock, mauser action, 250/3000. It wore an old Redfield the first season and a Leupold M8 4x for the rest of it's life with me. I never killed or shot at a deer with it , but it took plenty of groundhogs,rabbits,and crows.

I finally graduated to a Ruger M77 wood/blue, tang safety 30/06 and killed my first deer.

KLM
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/12/09
My first was a result of my first Christmas Bonus at 17 years of age. When the boss handed me that money I went straight to the gun store 50 miles away and bought:

Remington 700 BDL 308 Winchester
Leupold "Gold Ring" 3-9 Vari X-II
Sling & Suede Leather Case
Grand Total: $475

As so many of us say, "I wish I still had that gun." Now, after 35 years of chasing faster cartridges I just bought the same gun used for $600. It did have new teflon coating, new custom 20 ounce Kevlar stock & Timney trigger. The stock cost $580 alone. I think I stole it. It shoots like a Remington should.

I can assure you I will NEVER get rid of this one. I plan to watch my daughter and her children hunt with it.
Savage 99 in .308 given by my grand dad.

Posted By: lovemy99 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Savage 99C in 243... thank you dad!

Killed one deer with it. Still own it, never hunt it anymore...I restocked it at some point, not worth anything to anyone but me...
Posted By: Scorpion Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Remington 700 BDL SS in 7mm-08, from my dad the year before I turned 12, so about ten years ago.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Winchester model 70 XTR Westerner? .264 Win mag with a Trashco scope.
A Weatherby Vanguard serial # 595 in .308 that rifle would shoot.

Doc
Posted By: Odessa Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Ruger M77, .270 WIN given to me by my wife for my birthday in NOV 1978. Originally it had a K3W Weaver Steel-lite II, but I changed it out around 2003 with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40. I still own the rifle and still hunt with it - this picture was taken during deer season in 2004.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A converted (sporterized) 30-06 at 9 yrs old.....My dad started me off with a bigger bang!
Remington 700 BDL in.270 Win when I was 14...started hunting a little late. She still goes in the field once in a while
Posted By: agazain Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
.280 Remington Mountain Rifle
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Savage model 99 in 300 savage, my grandfather gun that got handed down to me when I was 14.

Still got it and still shoot it.
Discounting shotguns and muzzleloaders which came first:

Remington 7400, 270 Win.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A New Marlin 336C in .35 Rem.
Posted By: Jammer Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Nothing real exciting. .270 Rem Mountain Rifle DM. 3X9X40 Vari-X11. I had my first job out of college and was [bleep]&* rich but it was still a lot of money for me. Not exactly what I hunt with now but I tell you what...it will shoot 130 gr coreloks all day long. I guess I have been bitten by the bug. As that rifle will dust anything I care to point it at. By the way if anyone is interested I would sell it. But I'm not about to post it in the classifieds as it would be hard to get rid of.
Posted By: passport Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Marlin 336 in 30-30, put it on lay away in April raked leaved, cut grass and did anything else I could to pay it off over the summer. Worked my azz off. Killed an 8 pt on opening day with it and it was down hill from there.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Push feed M70 sporter.
22-250 with an old Weaver scope.
Whacked several pronghorn, mulies and the random coyote.
If I ever become a father it still oughta fit the bill.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ingwe Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Parker Hale 1200 Super in .243 with a Weaver V9...

Stylin!!! cool

Ingwe
Posted By: cal74 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Marlin 336 30-30 early X-Mas Present in '87 (13 years old)

Think it's jinxed though, never have gotten it bloody
Posted By: 338rcm Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Pre 64 model 70 30gov06 Wish I still had it!!
Posted By: tominboise Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Mossburg model 880B in 243 winchester, with open sites....
Posted By: JDK Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Ruger M77 in 250-3000 with a Weaver 4x.

Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Dad gave me a Winchester 94 30/30 and Papaw bought me an old steel tube 1.5-4.5 Weaver.
Posted By: Youper Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Winchester model 94 in 32 Winchester Special made in 1949. I'm bringing hunting this year for the first time in eight years.
Posted By: 257ROBT Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Marlin 336 SC in 30-30 w/ over/under sights and a cheapy K-Mart 3-9x32 on it. Yup, wish I'd never sold it.

Best part is: I bought the rifle from my high school biology teacher. He brought the rifle to school and we did the deal right in the schools main office with the principle standing right there. Try doing that now-a-days!

Dale
Posted By: DaddyRat Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Originally Posted by 257ROBT
Marlin 336 SC in 30-30 w/ over/under sights and a cheapy K-Mart 3-9x32 on it. Yup, wish I'd never sold it.

Best part is: I bought the rifle from my high school biology teacher. He brought the rifle to school and we did the deal right in the schools main office with the principle standing right there. Try doing that now-a-days!

Dale

Obviously that was a few years back.
Posted By: RickyD Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Kleinguenther K-14 in 7mm Rem Mag with a 7.5 AO Leupold.
Posted By: TreeFarmer Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
!963 vintage Browning Safari in .30-06. Mounted a B&L Balvar 8A scope. Parents thought I was nuts to spend most of my summer earningas on it; but what did I know at 14. Still have it and stil hunt with it occasionally.
Posted By: Nelson Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem. Magnum topped with a Leupold 2.5-8. Won the rifle in a contest when I was 17 in 1981, still hunt with it occasionally today. It's shot game all over the western U.S., British Columbia, and Alaska.

Nelson
Posted By: Jammer Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
like your style.
Posted By: wldthg Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
[Linked Image] I was 15 years old- My father brought this M98 --8mm back from Germany in WWII. I'll be using it this Saturday-- opening Day Of Vermont Deer. My Son WebIII will get it in do time. WebII
Posted By: 257James Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Sporterized 95 mauser with a Hart barrel chambered in 257 Roberts, Leupold Vari-XII 3x9x40AO w/cpc cross hair. Still have it and it's a shooter.
My first rifle was a christmas present when I was 12 best present I ever got It was all I hunted with and my only centerfire rifle until I was around 22 years old i believe.

Remington M700 BDL .308winchester, wood stock with black forend, and a hard plastic but plate still got it to this day and will never get rid of it.
Posted By: 257ROBT Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Originally Posted by DaddyRat

Dale

Obviously that was a few years back.

1989 and I went to a Catholic High school.

Dale
Pre 64, 94 Winchester .30-30 with Williams Peep sight. Purchased it myself with money playing Rock&Roll at Jr. High Soc-Hops in 1962.
Posted By: boatammo Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Win 94 30-30 a pre 64 of course at my age.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Winchester 70 Westerner .243 Win with a Weaver 4x given to me by my Dad for Christmas when I was about 12. We really didn't even have a place to deer hunt back then but my life wasn't complete without a deer rifle and Dad made it happen even though he probably had to scrimp for it. The .243 now wears a Nikon 2-7 and the Weaver rides atop another rifle but both still see use even though these days I usually reach for something more exotic. I get misty every time I pull the .243 out of the safe now because Dad went to Heaven almost 6 years ago.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
sporterized 303 enfield w/215gr bullets. killed deer dead!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Marlin 336T in 44mag. I bought it and a Weaver K2 scope with my first 4 or 5 paychecks when I was in high school. I passed it on to my first son about 4 years ago. Under 100 yards that thing is pure death on a deer. I had to find another to replace it. Some things you just should not give away, especially to a son that won't give it back.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Winchester 1895 in 30-40. It had very nice custom wood with 2 tasteful ivory inlays.

My dad bought it for me.
Posted By: 10 Shooter Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Carl Gustaf 6.5x55. I think my father paid $60 for it. He bought two of them, one for me and one for my twin brother. I hunted deer with it last year, never got a shot though. It's fun to go old school and hunt this old iron sighted rifle once in a while.

Posted By: tzone Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Her name was Kara.... oh rifles. grin

A Remington 742, in 30-06. It was my dad's. It went through hell and back and didn't work very well. Our house burnt down when I was a kid, and I was able to clean the rifle up enough to be able to use it.

I shot my first two deer with it.
Posted By: Stemshot Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
An old M1 carbine. Took my first 2 whitetail with it. I got it when I was 10. Still have it. I will admit I haven't shot it in a few years though.

I got my first gun at 8 it was an H&R 410 single shot.
Posted By: tzone Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09

Dale

Still might be able to around here....maybe.
Posted By: RAS Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
The first purchased by me was a M70 Black Shadow in 300WM. Push feed. Killed everything with that gun to include elk and deer. Had many rifles before that one, but they werent bought by me. Anyone remember when Bush gave us that first tax credit in 2001? My $300 paid for that M70 in Walmart in Morehead City, NC with that credit. I call that rifle "George"...

Posted By: Notropis Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
1903 Springfield I sporterized (I now wish I had not) with a 1.5-5? Weaver scope in Weaver mounts. I shot a nice buck with it last year.
Remington 700 ADL in 308 Win. Bought it with the money I saved from delivering papers. I found it in a newspaper clssified and drug Dad wit hme to go check it out that night.

The second deer season I had it we were driving to our afternoon stand when we saw a really nice 4X4 Mulie, I hopped out, grabbed shell after shell from my cartridge belt but none would chamber (uncles reloads) I foolishly blamed the rifle, went home and sold it.
Wish I knew then what I know now.
Posted By: RickF Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
In 1983, at 16 years of age, I bought an Interarms Whitworth Mark X in 30-06. The smith mounted a Bushnell Scopechief 1.5-4.5X20 on top in Weaver mounts. Nice rifle that weighed a good 9 pounds.

Two years later I found my first Pre-64 M70, a 1957 standard rifle in 270 so the Whitworth went away.
Posted By: Mauser8x57 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Sportsman 74. Cheap version of the rem 7400. Got it from my uncle for 200 bucks back when I was in college. Killed four deer with it.
Posted By: mud_bogger Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
.54 Lyman Hawkins muzzleloader that dad made from a kit some years before I was a dirty thought. Had an Green river (or was it green Mountain?) replacement barrel on it that was a funky size. Shot .530 balls decently but prefered a .526 ball.

Did pretty well on blacktail with it.
Posted By: bh444 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
444 Marlin NIB for $115 when I was 15yo
Posted By: AJD Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Marlin lever in 35 Remington.
My first deer rifle was bought for me in 1972 by my late Mother so I would not have to borrow someone elses rifle ever again.
It was a Mossberg 810-A in 30-06.
I still own that rifle to this day and it has taken a lot of Texas Whitetail Bucks over the years.
I have not had the rifle in the field for at least nine years now.
Rem. 600 in 6mm Rem. With a Leupold M8 4X.
Dad bought in for me in 1964 when I was 12. Hunted with it for 10 seasons befor I killed my first deer with it.

It now has a McMillan stock, Pac-Nor barrel in 25-284, and a Leupold 6X42mm with a dot reticle.

Virgil B.
Posted By: stanimal Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Win 70 Carbine (push feed). Wood stock, 20" .30-06 FWT contour barrel, 3-9x32 Bushnell scope. Seemed to kill anything it was pointed at (coyotes, deer, etc.). Took it to the bench and realized I needed more accuracy. Wasted a lot of time that way but now have that same action in a McM EDGE stock with a 22" Pac-Nor barrel in .30-06. Liking the combo. Still light, more accurate (not that it's mattered in the field), and very weather resistant.
Posted By: BasicBeer Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Model 1898 Krag-Jorgensen, still in full military dress. Really long, heavy, and very deadly on deer. I paid for it myself, with money earned doing farm work. A whopping $14.95, big money for a farm kid in the 60's.

Be worth a hell of a lot more than I paid for it, if I still had it...
First gun was a Marlin / Glenfield G60 single shot bolt action .410 shotgun. My father bought it for me when I was 6 years old at Gibson's Dicount Center in Tyler, Texas. Cost $19.95 and he bitched about the high price. I contributed some of my lawn mowing money for it but I don't remember how much. It seemed like buying a house at the time. I used to murder doves with it. I was only given one shell at a time so I had to make them count. Today, I couldn't hit a stalled out Goodyear Blimp at five yards with a .410. I still have it as well as his Sears bolt action 12 gauge that he used to hunt squirrels with. He also bought me a Remington 788 .30-30 at K-Mart for $94.95 when I was about 16. I killed my first deer with it, a nice 8 point buck. Unfortunately, after I graduated college, I needed money for beer and women one day and foolishly sold it. I have one like it now and it is every bit as accurate as the one I had all these years later. Thanks for the great thread. BT
Posted By: medicman Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
As foolish as it seems my first whitetail rifle was a Browning BL-22. back in 1970 I was a hunter and it was lots enough rifle for 20 - 25 yd shots that were the norm for me. I was convinced by my much better informed friends that it was not realistic to kill deer with a 22 RF. So I bought a Winchester 88 in 308 since there were no 243's in stock in 1972. |That rifle was stolen after a MVC, and I started collecting after that, mainly military rifles from 1894 onwards.

I still have the BL 22 but it has been ten years since it killed a whitetail. That one was at 25 yds one shot kill right behind the right ear quartering away. I have been told it is illegal to hunt big game with a rimfire, so do not do it. I also can not stalk like I once did. Age has its draw backs, but it gives me excuses to buy more rifles.
Randy
Posted By: MattW Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Ruger 77 Ultra-lite in 270 with a Bausch and Lomb 3-9x40 scope in the Ruger rings. I was 19 and I bought it myself. My Dad had stopped hunting by that time so I had never even fired a center fire rifle or used a scope until I bought that gun. Just shotguns and iron sight .22's. Took it to a friends house, sighted it in with two shots, fired a nice 1 1/4 inch group at 100 yards, jumped on a plane out to Saskatchewan where I took a very nice whitetail buck. It's taken lot's more game since. I still have it and hunt with it every season even though I have many more guns now.
Posted By: nimrod1949 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Ruger M77 MkII Stainless with the boat paddle stock in 338 WM at 11 years old (just call me flinch). With about a hundred more pounds of me today it is somewhat more pleasant to shoot. Shot my first big game four years later, a 2 year old bull bison.
Marlin 336T 30-30. 14th Christmas. Still got it, still hunt it where cartridge appropriate, it's not going anywhere.
Posted By: medicman Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Originally Posted by guyandarifle
Marlin 336T 30-30. 14th Christmas. Still got it, still hunt it where cartridge appropriate, it's not going anywhere.

Good decision. The only guns I lament are those I no longer own.
Randy
PS I have a Winchester 94 that is not the gun the Marlin 336 is, but it is dear to my heart.
Originally Posted by medicman
Originally Posted by guyandarifle

Good decision. The only guns I lament are those I no longer own.
Randy
PS I have a Winchester 94 that is not the gun the Marlin 336 is, but it is dear to my heart.

If I'd just bought what I could back in the day it might be different. Being a Christmas present from Granpa, who was not a wealthy person...well...you know.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Purchased 1969

Used Remington 721 .30/06
Weaver KV scope in Redfield mounts.

$90.00
Posted By: StrayDog Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
My first that was my own was bought new in 1966 a M700 ADL in .270 Win with a Bausch & Lomb 2.5-8 scope which cost almost as much as the rifle.
It was a wonderfully accurate rifle but was later stolen when I was a young guy living in apartments.
Posted By: temmi Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Rem 700 in 338WM I was already in my 40s

It just took a while
Posted By: buffybr Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
My first centerfire rifle was a Herter's Model U-9 barreled action in .30-06 and semi-inletted stock that I ordered through the mail (prior to the Gun Control Act of 1968).

I killed a pile of mule deer and pronghorn antelope and 7 or 8 elk with it before I had it re-chambered to .30 Gibbs in about 1978. I shot another 21 elk and 2 moose with it before I retired it a few years ago.
Posted By: 1minute Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
We were soooo poor (black and white TV and one car)... In 1962 it was a 303 Enfield from an Army/Navy store. $18.00 Lots of headspace as any reloaded cartridge with blow the case head off. That was replaced about a year later with a new Rem 600 6mm ($99.95). We still have the Remington but the wife took it away from me to use on deer and pronghorn.
Posted By: CLB Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Marlin 30-30 given to me by my father.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
1993, I was 13 years old, had picked up black walnuts in the fall after mowing lawns in the summer, K-Mart ad showed Remington 700 ADL's for $300 and BDL's for $360. Dad and I picked up an ADL in .270, he already loaded for his .270 so didn't have to worry about components. Have shot the most deer and my biggest deer with that rifle, gets little use now, but will pull it out from time to time to throw into the rotation.
Posted By: 1minute Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Cheesy: Man, I had forgotten about the walnuts. We'd put them out on the dirt road and let the traffic press the hulls off and then rake them up and sack them. Dark brown hands and fingers for quite some time. I think it was $2.00 for a burlap bag full. That was real folding money man.

One day we failed to remember the school bus, and most of 3 days effort was squashed flat. Black walnuts could handle the weight of a car, but a school bus was a bit much. Good days.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Remington 700 ADL 270 Win was my first.Shot some deer with it and a few caribou.Thinking about an Edge for it on the Christmas special.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A 1917 Enfield that my Grandfather had re-barrel with a custom 6 groove and sporterized. He then restocked it with a beautiful piece of walnut. I loaned it to my brother and he sold it. Thanks for picking that scab raw again. ( Just kidding. I'm over it, sorta. Only been 20 years or so.)
Posted By: LoneEagle Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Savage Model 340 30-30 bought with my own money when I was 10. Paid a local smith to drill and tap it and put a Tasco 3-9x on it. My uncle helped me a lot with that first rifle.

And yeah I do wish I still had it. It was just plain fun to shoot.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
A Pre 64 M70 30-06 that was my great grandfather's. Unfortunately, my youthful capriciousness got the better of me and I traded it for a POS Churchill in 300 WM. :-(

Lou
Marlin 30-30. My dad bought it for me when I was 17. I will always cherish it because it was a real sacrifice for our family at the time and it really showed his love for me.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pat85 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
My first deer rifle that I owned is my sako finnbear l61r in 30-06. I still have the sales slip, I paid $219 for it in the 1970s
Posted By: super T Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
Mine was a Remington Mod.721 in 30.06 with a 4x Weaver. I was 15 and that was 1959. I used it that fall in Colorado to kill two buck mule deer. Wish I still had it.
Originally Posted by 6.5whitetail
What was your very first deer rifle? I'm talking it was yours, not borrowed until you got bigger and so on and so forth, but your very own.

I got it when I was around 8. and it was
a cut down wood stock, mauser action, 250/3000. It wore an old Redfield the first season and a Leupold M8 4x for the rest of it's life with me. I never killed or shot at a deer with it , but it took plenty of groundhogs,rabbits,and crows.

I finally graduated to a Ruger M77 wood/blue, tang safety 30/06 and killed my first deer.

KLM

SAKO L561 Forester in .243 topped off with a Bushnell Banner scope.

JW
Posted By: dubePA Re: What was your first ??? - 11/13/09
M94SRC in 32 Win. Special, made in the 1920s. Still got it, still use it sometimes. Been mine since the mid-60s.
Mine was a "sorta" sporterized 1917 Enfield that I bought off my paternal uncle for $20 or $25. It came with 100 rounds of Win Silver Tip 150 gr ammo and a bunch of 1942 Denver aresenal mil-surp. (My uncle felt I should buy my first big rifle, but really was just charging me for some of the ammo.)

I further butchered, I mean sporterized it, but never got rid of the ears and the rear peep sight. My Dad helped my polish it and reblue it, put a ramp front sight on it and a linseed oil finish on the stripped stock. I still have the gun, having shot it for years and even in a CMP match for a Garand. It was also the first gun I reloaded for, with Sierra seconds that my Dad bought by the paper sack full on his way home from work when Sierra was located in Santa Fe Springs.
Posted By: Mossy Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Pawn store Marlin 336 30-30 when I was 9. Killed my first elk with it when I was 10 (1984). Haven't killed anything with it since.

Its been in the safe for a long time,I'll give it to my son when he is older. Since it doesn't have any real safety I'm in no hurry to give it to a beginning hunter.
Posted By: coyo Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Remington 788 in 6mm Remington,wish I still had that bad boy.......
Posted By: jcdixon77 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Savage 110 30-06 got it when I was 14 with money I made pumping gas at the local store. I would not think of getting rid of it I still soot it from time to time but I have not huntd with it in years.
When I graduated from high school in 1978 my Dad suggested that we go to Beikirch Ammunition Corp. and buy a gun as my gift. I hemmed and hawed and finally picked a Remington 760 in .308 Winchester. I never shot anything with it and never even scoped it, I hunted one season in the Adirondacks with it and then sold it to Dad when I joined the service. I purchased a Remington 700 ADL in .308 Win. from Macks Sport Shop in Kodiak AK. in 1980 and that gun eventually wore thirteen scopes and three different stocks as I became more of a Rifle Loony. I still can't be convinced to this day that there is a better rifle cartridge in the universe than the .308!!
1984, 14 years old. Rem 700 ADL 30-06. Was a little intimidated by the recoil. I wonder if I would have been a better shooter if I had started with the .308 or 7mm Mauser like the gun shop fella suggested. Killed a lot of deer with that '06!
Posted By: Dave93 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
1968...Rem 660 in .243 used with iron sights.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09

Dale

That is pretty neat. One might almost be able to get away with that at the high school I went to. They got a new principal two years ago and the first thing he did when moved in was hung up two whitetail shoulder mounts and brought in a lifesize gobbler mount. He's okay in my book!
My first deer rifle was a used win 94 in 30-30.I received it for my 12th birthday and used it for two seasons.The first rifle that I bought myself, was an Ithaca LSA 55 in 243 with a 4x Bushnell Banner that I bought at age 14, with money earned at my part time job.After buying the 243win,the 30-30 was retired for over 30 years before being sold.
Posted By: mudhen Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
In 1961, I bought a new Model 70 Featherweight in .30-06 before I went off to college. It was two years later before I could afford to scope it. For over twenty years, this was the only center-fire rifle I owned. It still resides in my gun safe with a nice custom stock, (The original stock finally gave up he ghost after a couple of thousand rounds and two rebedding jobs to repair splits, etc.) If I am going to have an easy day, I still carry and shoot it. It still shoots 150 Partitions well under an inch at 100 yards (five shots) if I do my part.
Posted By: SteveBrX Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Mine was a HK630 .223 using hand loaded 63gr Sierra SMP's,topped with a Leupold 2x7 I bought with my Bonus from completing Infantry school in 1986, I had a very limited rage of 100yds or less but at that time I was mainly tree stand hunting,put a lot of venison in the canning jars.

Still have the Hk but now rotate between two, a Ruger #1v in 6mm rem, topped with a Shepard, and a trued Rem 700 260AI with a Sightron.
Posted By: Waders Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Inherited a Marlin .30-30 from my great-grandfather. I have a pic of him holding that rifle in about 1912 or so. Flip up rear peep sight and a barrel that's octagon for the first half and then round for the 2nd half. I knew I couldn't turn it into an everyday hunter so I went out and bought a Ruger M77 .30-06, wood/blue. That was the first rifle I ever bought for myself.
A Pre 64 Model 94 30-30 my dad bought from his brother for me. The plan was to put a side mount and scope on it but it wouldn't fit so we mounted it and a Redfield 1-3/4x5 on his M94 30-30 Antique and I used it to kill several deer, including my first. I still have the Pre 64 and hope to knock one down in the thick woods of East Texas this year.....iron sights of course.
Posted By: pod Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
i was 11 years old nov. 1945 bought a 1894 winch. rifle in 32-40 full 26 in. oct. barrel peep sight as new i paid 11.00 for it in shapleigh maine also a 16 guage lefever sxs shotgun at the same time for 15.00. they were recently stolen my heart is broken over it i wanted my grand daughter to have them. schit happens i guess.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
My first was given to my by my dad in my early teens: a post-64 Model 100 (dreaded oak leaf pattern grin ) in .308. The rifle belonged to the father of my dad's best friend before he passed away. My dad's friend knew he wouldn't use it and wanted to see it in the woods so he sold it to dad.

I took my first deer with that rifle and later my first buck. I still own it and hunt it every season.

George
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
1st deer gun wasn't a rifle it was Remington Wingmaster 12ga smooth bore slug gun I purchased myself from a pawn shop...actual 1st deer rifle was a Rem 700 BDL in 7mm Mag
Posted By: tbear99 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
well my first deer rifle i believe would be my savage 99 in 300 savage.
Posted By: 260madman Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
7mm Rem Mag. Wish I would have had more guidance for a 7-08. Oh well, still have the gun and shoot it regularly(once per year to make sure it points in the right direction:)) Taken more game w/260 Rem but there's a special place in my heart for the 7 Mag.
Posted By: rifle Re: What was your first ??? - 11/14/09
Mine was a hand-me down from my Dad,a Win/P64.270 FW,he always wanted a .30-06,he got one,I got his.I was 13 or 14?
Now, I own them both along with all the memories......I got spoiled,but I had to buy all my others...
Posted By: buttstock Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
A 1970's vintage Marlin 336A in 30-30 (24" barrel, 2/3 mag tube, microgroove rifling). Cost new was $92 in 1976. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4x scope on it. This rifle will shoot honest 5-shot 1 moa groups at 100 yards with 170 grain Speers + 32 grains WW 748 (with the case's flash holes uniformed).

I still have that Marlin, but it now wears a Redfield 2.5x (or 3x?) scope on it. Slim, trim, elegant (to me) and easy to carry.
My first deer rifle was a Remington 700 BDL .270 cal. My dad bought it for me in 1977 from JC Penny's for $199. I put a $20 Bushnell scope I bought from Kmart. I still have the gun and the original box it came in. I will never ever get rid of it and it is still the best looking rifle I own.

Posted By: mtmisfit Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
BRNO ZKK 601 30-06. $236 at the Augsburg Rod & Gun Club. Still have it.
Posted By: wvhunter Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Savage model 110E 30-06 combo package, 3x9x40 bushnell scope. Sighted it in and took a nice 8pt. that year. It grieves me to this day that I sold it and later a 760 rem pump 30-06 I wish I had both back.
Posted By: ringworm Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
pre81 BLR in 308 w/ a cheap simmons scope and a box of coreloks.
Still hunt with it. except now it wears a leupold and shoots handloads.
Posted By: Whip Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Marlin 336 in 30-30. It's a classic and I still hunt with it.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Marlin 444S. I bought it new at a local gun shop for $125. I wish I still had it.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
I bought a Remington 760 30-06 in 1977. My son "High Brass" has it now. Before I bought the 760 I used a M94 30-30.
Posted By: ChipM Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Marlin 336 in 30-30 given to me by my parents at 12 yrs old for Xmas. wore a 4 power scope, shot my first deer with it. It sees the woods ever now and then but will be the last rifle to go if it ever comes down to it.
Posted By: Spanker Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Ruger mk77 stainless compact, silver laminant stock 7mm-08 with silver nikon scope. Most accurate rifle I have ever shot, took 7 deer in 4 years with it starting at age 12 smile Sold it, for a .338 win mag.
Posted By: Flyer01 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09

Browning BLR .308 Winchester(belgium) 1973, $179.95 Canadian, open sights for many years, later 4X Bushnell.

Moving foward added both .243 (belgium) and .358 (japan)selling them all when I started shotting bolt actions with decent triggers.

Flyer
Posted By: Powerguy Re: What was your first ??? - 11/15/09
Savage 340 30/30
I got a late start hunting...my Dad didn't hunt (fished alot, but never hunted) My Grandad took me a few times when I was younger, but I didn't have my own rifle til college. It was a Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag (blue/syn w/ cheap simmons scope). It was an ass-stomping mule and I don't miss it one bit.
Posted By: CUTNHARE Re: What was your first ??? - 11/16/09
Marlin model 336 30-30 , redfield 3x9x40 Golden five star weaver pivot mounts
It was a FN 49 semiautomatic in 3006. Bought it surplus from SIR for about $60.

The next one is my well used Winchester Model 670A in 3006.

Sold the FN last year, still have the Winney.
I was 12 in '69 and didn't have a rifle for the upcoming deer season...my dad had a mossberg 12 gauge slug gun he got in lieu of rent. I was practicing with it (it was beating the hell out of me), my neighbor who saw this sad spectacle loaned me a win. model '92 in 25-20.

Next year my uncle who had bought 2 Rem. model 8 autoloading rifles gave me the lessor one, was a .30 Remington. Soon as my dies, press, etc. showed up from herters I started reloading for it. Shot my first Buck that year and several after that with it.

Around 15 years later my Uncle was looking for a rifle for his boy to hunt deer with so I gave him the rifle, dies and a couple of boxes of ammo...glad I somewhat repaid the gift and will never forget the gift.

Jerry
Posted By: 58gscott Re: What was your first ??? - 11/16/09
Mine was a 1892 Win in 44-40, octagon barrel, and was one that was from the King ranch in Texas, stamped with the King ranch brand on the stock. But someone else is using it now from theft. Next my dad bought me a Mossberg 810BH in 7mag. 58gscott
Posted By: NYH1 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/16/09
My father gave me his pre '64 Winchester model 88 308 Win. When I was about 14. I used to take it shooting with my friends. It was great they all had 22's and shotguns. I had a 308 rifle that shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards with a few different factory loads....this rifle flat out shoots! I've shot two deer with it so far. I still use it.

My first deer rifle that was bought "FOR ME", was a pre '64 Winchester model 94 30 WCF (30-30 Win.). It had a six digit serial number. My dad had it completely refinished. Unfortunately it didn't shoot good at all. The barrel was worn out really bad. I never really took it hunting.

My dad told me to trade it in and get another "brush gun" if I wanted to. I did and got a Marlin 336SC 35 Rem. I shot a deer with this rifle. Inside 100 yards, the 35 Rem. flat out knocks deer down!
Posted By: T3hk1w1 Re: What was your first ??? - 11/16/09
My first deer gun was an F series Savage 110 with the package scope. I still have it, planning on taking it next time I go to the lease.
© 24hourcampfire