Home
Posting this for a friend working in Afghanistan . . .

Anyone got any suggestions for a good bolt rifle for about less than $500-new that would be a good all-around rifle for white-tail deer through elk. He wants something that would be relatively light for hunting elk in the mountains of Colorado, but he would also use it for the local white-tails. Either synthetic or wood stock and either stainless steel or regular steel options would be fine.

For caliber, I was thinking he should get something good for elk (like a .300 Win. Mag or .300 WSM), and then just use it on the white-tails, too.

And, he's a lefty.

TIA.

--shinbone
Get him a used REM700 in 30-06 and go hunting. I saw one in GA here for $300. Throw a Leupold VXI 2-7 on it and he's good to go...

Here is one on Gunbroker.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=147634070

RH
buy a savage i would suggest 300wsm personally.
Vanguard in 300 Roy
Find a tikka t3 30-06 in excellent shape should be able to find one for $500 and less used.165 gr accubonds will do anything you need to do.
Used/new 30-06 or 308 of some stripe.

Ruger would suit me.
I'd second the 300 Weatherby in a Vanguard.
Remington 798 in 30-06. NIB < $500. Mauser action. Nice laminate stock. Great value IMHO.
Thanks for all the suggestions. BTW, it is $500 for the rifle.
I deleted my post because I went back and reread your original, and you mentioned he was a southpaw. Neither rifle I suggested is available in left hand.

Durn post wasn't up but for just a couple of minutes, you are quick.
I bought an as NIB Rem SPS SS with a Nikon 3x9x40 on gunbroker for 525 bucks to my door, hard to beat......
Lots have had great things to say about the new Marlin. Think it's the XL7?? 30-06.

Looks like alota gun for $300 bones. Then grab a VX-1 or a Weaver 6X!
http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/ST_Marlinxl7_200804/

If you'll be hunting more deer than elk a 270 would fit the bill.

like I said top with a VX-1 or a Weaver and for $500 bucks your hunting!

My youngest "thinks" he wants to hunt. So I see the marlin in either the 25-06 or 270 and maybe the 308 as a cheap way to find out if he really wants to hunt or not. I'll buy a used Weaver 6X and be in it for less than $400bucks. I believe they shoot great. Great trigger and a stock that is much better than the [bleep] they have on the Savage.
+1 on Brad's advice. Don't turn down a .270.
When I was doing the same thing for my brother, I got him a bottom of the line M700 in 30-06, and put a Leupold 2-7 on it.
If the focus is on function, the options for a sub-$500 elk rifle are almost unlimited.

On the low end of new but very functional are the Stevens rifles for $289 or there about. The Savage .30-06 I gave to my son-in-law as a wedding present was $299 new. On the used market you can find many very good rifles for $350.

You need a scope and used rifles will often come with a functional scope. The first twenty years I hunted elk with my Ruger M77 in 7mm RM and a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x. I think I paid $39 for the scope in 1982. Never liked it, but that scope served very well and never cost me an animal.

One of my favorite scopes these days is a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with Ballistic Plex reticle. You can buy them for under $175 at �Buy it now� prices on eBay.

I know you said new, and your best bet would be a Vanguard or Howa or T/C Venture. But I would go used on a Ruger or Remington.
If it's got to be new, you're talking about a Savage or Stevens or such. If he's willing to go used, he can get a better grade of rifle, some of which will be in surprisingly good condition. You will seldom find any "steals" in a pawn shop or at a gun show however. Those folks aren't in business to save you money.
Estate sales or private sales can be a good opportunity. I've never used any of the online gun auctions but have heard you can get some good deals there.
I would want to know the history of any magnum before I bought it for fear that the throat might be gone.
Again, thanks for all the suggestions.

I know there are some great used rifles out there, but a new rifle is preferred just to avoid the potential hassle of buying someone's problem rifle.

--shinbone
+1 on the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa. The .300 WBY is perfect, but the cost of factory ammo is about x3 over .30-06. I have read very reports on the Marlin XL7. I see them on sale in the $270 range. Good luck.
Lots of great suggestions here, but haven't seen any yet for a lefty... I'm thinking you'll have to look around for a used LH rifle, not too sure if anyone makes one for under $500...
Lotsa folks choose the Vanny .... how many of you are LH shooters using Weatherby's RH stocks?? The perspective shooter is a lefty.
Have him look at the Ruger Hawkeyes. MSRP is around $800 but if you shop around you can find them for considerably less. Should be real close to your goal.

Left Handed Rugers

How is his recoil tolerance? If it is minimal I would suggest the .270 or '06. If he can handle recoil well I would definitely recommend the .300 Win Mag.

As of right now Gunbroker.com has several left handed Rugers in the $499-$599 range. So when he gets ready to pull the trigger on this deal he won't have trouble finding something.
Get a Marlin XL-7 in 30-06, load it with good 180 grain bullets, put a Nixon or Weaver 40/44 scope on it and you'll be headed for the woods for $500 or so.

The guns are downright scary accurate and only cost $280-$320 brand new. The XL-7 has been named best buy by Outdoor life, and consistantly gets rave reviews in all the magazines. It comes in Walnut, black Synthetic, or camo. At 6.5pounds with a 22" barrel it is light enough to carry all day in the mountains and still make the 400 yd shot when needed.
for a new rifle, you just can't beat the marlin xl-7's in my opinion as well. I would stay away from the magnum's or weatherby mags as the recoil may be too much for the guy and the ammo will be 50$ a box.
The Marlin XL7 also comes in a Laminated stock.
tikka in 06'..........

woofer
plus the marlin in any cal, money for a great scope, and ammo to boot can't be beat
From one lefty to another...
Savage has the most variety I found in LH, Browning and Remington next. I had not seen the Marlin in LH. Don't think it is made, but not sure. Marlin uses many of the same ideas as the Savage and I will say my out of the box Savage is very nearly a one hole gun...Accutrigger is very good. You never will find a 798 in LH if I got my Remington info right...they don't and won't have them made. So they say. Too bad, mauser feed bolt design...

A .270 or an '06 would work for all of those with premium bullets...in most places. But what fun is there in that... But if you want a magnum...lots of bang and smoke and recoil... :-)

It's not for everyone, but if you search Gunbroker.com for "LH" you will find a fair number of new and used. Looking for a .300 WSM LH, I found a Rem 700 BDL, new in box, but old stock, Left Hand in 3 different calibers (300RUM,338RUM and 375RUM) for about $520+ shipping. From one vendor. Take your choice. Like I said, not for everyone but I bought some dies and I reload for the 300RUM I picked up. I am happy with it, and from what I've read it will fit the bill for the game list you mention quite well. With "power level" ammo it's a 30-06, 300WM and 300RUM to match up with what you need it to do. Good luck, what ever your friend selects - I had also looked at a Tikka LH in 300WM but for a few dollars more, also on GunBroker.

Looking at this one right now..but I haven't figured out why I "need it" yet... M77Hawkeye 300WM LH: http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=147839255 less than $600...

Bargain Glass is another story, you can go crazy trying to evaluate scopes. "The one that I own now" is generally the best one in everyone's opinion. Who the heck knows? I haven't owned them all so I can't say. BUT I can say I've owned VX-I and VX-III from Leupold, and they are all good, but the 3's are better than the 1's, as price might suggest. I'd shoot either without qualms. But, I'm taking the 3's to Africa! I tried a Nikon Buckmaster and Monarch and didn't appreciate it as much as the Leupy VX-I and VX-III, but my buddy was thinking the other way. I say we're both right. Price probably makes the decision more often than we admit. Some new companies out there may have good glass coming out, CAD/CAM making scopes a whole lot better!

Anyway, good luck!
Weatherby in 300 all the way. No close second in this price range. One of the easiest questions asked here in a long while.
Not available in lefty but I recommend the TC Venture.If he has to shoot a right handed gun. This gun was mentioned earlier. Why it doesn't get more love I don't know:) I have one in 270 that consistently shoots under.5.with handloads and still under an inch with federal fusion 130 grain. comes with a 1 moa guarantee.

Chambered in 270/3006/7mm and 300 mag.

I got mine for 429.00 plus tax.

Shoots as well or better then my TC Icon in 308. I hope they come out with a short action next year.

Bill/WI
For modest cost but useful scopes, I think it is hard to beat the Burris Fullfields. Used they can be had for about $125-150 pretty often. I like them better than Loopy VX-1's and 2's. Weaver Grand slams are rugged and decent as well. Avoid most Bushnells, Tasco's and for heavens sake don't go near a BSA.

Used Redfields come up for sale here often and are sometimes a good bargain. Avoid the Tracker series there.

I have not tried one yet, but I like what I have read about Vortex scopes, especially the way the erector assembly is put together. Should be pretty rugged and repeatable. My Vortex Razor bino's were top drawer optics.
Generally, if you need to keep the cost of the rifle below $500, $60 to $70 a box for ammo isn't in the cards.
shinbone,

Since I came in late, I did not read the thread yet. But being the self absorded person I am, I will jump right in as though I know something the others don't.

You can get a Weatherby Vanguard from Wallmart for $399. A .300 Win Mag might be a better choice due to ammo availabilty.

You didn't ask, but I put a Tasco 4-16 on my .375-.416 Rem and .340 and 7 Mag. None have failed. In fact the .340 and the .375-.416 went to Alaska for a three week moose and cariboo hunt. The Tascos run less than $90. In fact you might be able to get some Burris Signature rings and still come in about $525.
© 24hourcampfire