Home
Posted By: 257James Bore Guides - 12/05/09
In your opinion who makes the best o-ring bore guide? I've been looking at Sinclair and Possum Hollow are they any good?
Posted By: NE1022 Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
Mike Lucas makes a nice bore guide and insert.

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/954882.htm
Posted By: passport Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
+1 on the Lucas guide
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
I have a Dewey, Lucas and a couple Sinclair. The Lucas is superb, the other two are very good.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
The Lucas guide looks like a high quality unit indeed. I got a quote from him the last time I needed a new guide but in the end went with another Possum Hollow as I have no complaints about the others I have. The white delrin Sinclair and Possum Hollow are same-same BTW. Possum Hollow makes many items that Sinclair markets with their name. IIRC the owners of Possum Hollow have the Sinclair surname as well.
Posted By: backwoodsbrian Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
I have a Dewey and it seems to work very well. The only other one that I've tried is the MTM, and they're not very good, but better than nothing I suppose.
Posted By: NE1022 Re: Bore Guides - 12/05/09
I've got Lucas guides for Levers, bolts, A/R's and TC's. He is true gentlemen to boot.
Posted By: keith Re: Bore Guides - 12/06/09
Neil Jones and Lucas are the best for the following reasons:

They have a bushing that fits on the cleaning rod that centers the rod in the bore

they have a snoot that fits in the chamber that seals the chamber from solvents running down in the action.

One thing that is very important about rod guides, their most important function is to center the rod in the center of the bore so that the rod does not wear the lands in the throat.

rod guides never wear out, buy the best and pass it down to your kids and grand kids.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Bore Guides - 12/06/09
I surely like the Sinclairs. Have one for each rifle.
Posted By: 257James Re: Bore Guides - 12/06/09
I'll be checking into a Lucas. Are they made for a specific action type? Will one made for a Remington 700 long action fit a Ruger 77 long action?
Posted By: RiverOtter Re: Bore Guides - 12/08/09
I've got Dewey's and a Stoney Point and am happy with them both.

Posted By: orion03 Re: Bore Guides - 12/08/09
My Stoney Point's work well and they're reasonably priced. Have to confess that I've gone mostly to a bore snake except for the rifles that really get shot a lot.
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Bore Guides - 01/18/10
I wanted to bump this for Mike Lucas! Best bore guides I have ever used!!
Posted By: Bobcat Re: Bore Guides - 01/18/10
+1 for the Lucas. Sinclair is #2. They now have the solvent port integrated into the bore guide so you don't have to buy them separately.

Bob
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Bore Guides - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by keith
One thing that is very important about rod guides, their most important function is to center the rod in the center of the bore so that the rod does not wear the lands in the throat.

Yep. That's why an ill-fitting bore guide is worse than none at all.

Paul
© 24hourcampfire