Home
Pretty self explanatory.
For me its a pre 81 Browning lever action that my father gave me in 1979. 308 winchester. it now wears a 3.5-10x40 leupold. I took both my first deer and first buck with it.
I carried it this morning, in fact.
My Ruger 10/22 now a Ruger/Kidd 10/22.
A Ruger M77MKII, blued in a walnut stock, .243 Winchester. Ruger rings and a 3x9x40 Nikon from back before they had the Monarch, Buckmasters and Prostaff lines. I've had it about 16 years.

Killed lots of deer, a grey fox and some assorted varmints.
Ruger M77 tang safety 30-06 that dad gave me when i was 12 used it to kill my first Elk, the next year he gave me a Rem 700 BDL Varmint in 6MM that i've killed thousands of PD's with. still shoot them too...
Winchester model 74, 22LR. Been hunting with it and shooting it at the range for 23 years.
Mossberg Model 44.
Glenfield model 25 since about87-88.Needs reblued and restocked, but still a tackdriver.
Winchester 9422 that my folks gave me for my HS Graduation present in 1973.
Well, rimfire is a 10/22 that I bought with my own money at 10 years old.

Next "rifle" is an Ithaca 37 Deerslayer that I killed a lot of deer with growing up.

Actual centerfire is my Win FWT 30-06, my main hunting rifle. Last gun I bought just before I got married. Wife says I married her and the gun at the same time, and I better never sell it. Tough woman to live with wink!
Browining Tbolt 22LR I got when I was 8.
Pre-64 Model 70 in 30-06 I got when I was 12. My uncle bought it new in 53 and gave it to me for my 12th birthday.
Cooey jr model 22 that I got for my 11th birthday in 1978. Big game rifle? A Pre64 M94 32Spl that I was given on my 16th birthday. Both from my dad.

My M70 PF FWT, a present from my brother in 1995.
Also happens to be my favorite rifle.
10/22 that I've had for 31 years.
A Rem M572 Fieldmaster.. Bought new in '62.. Still have it.. Still shoot it..
Remington 510 Targetmaster. Was gave to me by an uncle around 1960.
Doc
Remington 581 22LR. Christmas present 1975, I was 12.
1992 Remington model 700 KS Custom Mountain rifle in 280Rem.
Still have it, still probably my favorite rifle, although I don't use it much anymore since getting a 7mm-08.
Model 94 Winchester 30/30 that was left to me by my father.
I was born in 59 and he was killed in an accident at work in 61 or 62. For some reason he carved his name in the stock and forearm on both sides and did a real good job of I think. My grandmother told me that he was talented at carving wood.

I killed my best set of antlers with it to date and have never hunted with it since, for fear that something might happen to it.
a M94 Swedish mauser with williams peep sight...

A Marlin 30-30. My Dad gave to me when I was young man at the age of 10. I've had this rifle for 43 years.
I killed my first two deer with this gun. smile
'Collector, neat story.
Remmy 700 adl .270 bought new for $107, back in 69'.
Was restocked with a blank turned by Milliron for a stock maker friend of mine...I gave him $25 for it and the floor plate assembly. That makes her 40'ish years old now.

[Linked Image]

Critters don't like her....
A Ruger 77 that I bought in 1977. Actually my Mom bought it because I was only 16 at the time. The first one with my name on the paper work is a Savage 99 in 358 Win that I bought when I turned 18.

Dale
winchester model 69A .22 in 1963
Dad got me a rem 788 in 6mm and a Savage 20 ga single shot in 72 when I turned twelve, and I still have them. My five brothers all got the same treatment, but with different guns. Most of them are still in our hands and used every year. I put venison in the freezer again with mine this year. Now our kids get the same deal.
Pre '64 model 70 in 30.06 with a custom stock similar to a Westley Richards bolt rifle. Stock is french walnut , Beulher 2 piece mounts with a 2.5-8 leupold , made before clicks and Multi-coat4 was introduced. The 24" barrel is a Winchester original without sights or the barrel bump. It has the P in an oval postage mark indicating it was posted to a gunsmith for fitting Best group is .2 for 3 shots with 180gn Win power points and 56 gn of H4350. generally shoots about 1 " but I must have wobbled correctly that day. hardly ever moves zero and looks and feels great .Merry Christmas to all and good health.
Ps. Bought in 1987 for $1800 Aus. About US $1200 then.
A Remington Nylon 66 that arrived under the Christmas tree on 12/25/68.

Jeff
Browning BLR .308 Caliber.
Marlin Golden 39A Mountie.
glenfield mod 25.
A left hand Savage 110 7mm mag with a 4X hurricane scope bought in 1968. Been through heck and back with that thing and am always amazed at how tough that cheap scope is. Got other rifles since and haven't used it in years but when it was the only one I had, I shot it pretty well.
A little Remington single shot .22lr that I was given about 40 years ago.
Ruger #1 RSI 30-06 w/Leopold 3x9. Carries better than most upland bird guns I have ever carried and points just as well. It spoils me with how well it shoot as well. I can tune hanloads to punch one hole at 100 yds and will shoot any shelf junk to what most would call "very accurate."
My parents gave a me a Western Field bolt action 20 ga shotgun when I was about 8 or 9 (30+ years ago), and I haven't shot it since the early 80's but will never part with it.
[Linked Image] Ruger 10/22. Bought it back in 75' or so. usually keep it in my pickup. this old rifle has taken over a hundred beavers, a few coyotes, many muskrats, and an untold number of snakes and squirrels here on the farm. nothing quite like a well worn, honest .22.
M94 in 32 Special. Made in the 1920s, I've had it since 1964.

Killed my first buck with it and several deer since then. Seldom hunt with it these days, but it still works fine and shoots well with my 170gr Hornady loads. My son has also taken deer with the old relic.
Dad thought guns were a total waste of time and money, so at 14 I saved up hay hauling money and bought a Rem. 582 .22RF in the mid 60s. First CF was the M700 BDL .270 I bought in '72.
Model 70 06. I worked for a whole year to buy it. I hunted open sights for a year worked for another year to buy a scope. I bought it in 1973 and killed a antelope with it last year. It is now getting plenty of rest in the safe, but if I feel the need for a little luck it comes out for some fresh air. grin
I have had an old M1 carbine since I was 10. It was my first rifle. I plan on keeping it and giving it to my kid when I die.
Ive got a 700 ADL in 270 that I bought when I was 18. Still looks as good as the day I bought it. Killed 15 or so deer with it.
A Winchester Mod.94 30-30. September 1954 I killed a nice 4 point mule deer with it, I was 11 years old then. I still have the rifle and an old faded photo of the deer. I'm beginning to show signs of wear, but the old 94 looks good as new.
Rem. 582 .22lr. My folks gave it to me, as my first firearm, at age 10, I believe. It's still in the safe, and shot for old times sake, every now and then.

Jeff
A Remington Nylon 66, bought sometime in the mid-70s. Wish I could remember what I paid for it. Less than $100 I'm sure. Never imagined it would be a collector's item some day. It's still standing in my closet.
Marlin Model 25.

1978 M700 Classic 270W. Bought on sale for $300. Two weeks later the same gun shop had Vari-X 3-9's on sale for $99. That combo has been together ever since.....I probably have 2000-2500 rounds through that rig.

Casey
Ithaca M49 single shot 22. Can't remember if I was 8 or 9 when I got it, but I still have it.

It taught me the value of placing your first shot precisely at an early age, and since I had to buy my own ammo, how to budget my limited funds...
Owned and hunted a Ruger #1 in 30-06 15 yrs. Sold it and the very next day ended up with another Ruger #1 in 30-06. That was the second of 3 Ruger #1's in 30-06 that I hunted for 20 yrs.
Browning A-Bolt .270; I got this rifle as a Christmas present from my father 22 years ago. It is a Camo Stalker and was only made for a couple of years in this configuration. It has a laminated stock like an Eclipse with a satin finish. I truly love this rifle and will never part with it.
Model 600 6mm Rem from about 1963. My first new rifle. My first ever rifle, a 303 Enfield, I traded in.
My great-uncle was a Newark cop. Sometime between the Depression and the race riots a guy started shooting people out the window of his apartment in the worst part of town. In those pre-SWAT days, cops just took care of business. Uncle Steve kicked in the door, whipped the guy's ass, arrested him and seized his Springfield 84C as a trophy. He gave it to me when we moved to Tennessee in 1970. That's my first rimfire, which is currently the back door gun loaded with CB Longs for suburban crows and jays.

On Christmas Day 1973 there were two heavy long boxes under the tree for me and my brother. His contained a 12 ga. pump (Mossberg made for Western Auto, I believe) and mine contained a Remington 788 .243. Jason traded up to a Remington 1100 about five years later, but I've still got the .243. It's been used on more feral dogs than deer, but plenty of crows and groundhogs have been splattered with hot 75 grain handloads, too. Hasn't seen much use in recent years but will soon overhaul it into a camouflaged coyote killer. I'm 50 now and think I ought to see how hard it is to burn the barrel out on Eastern critters...before I wear out.
Marlin 336 cs I think I got it in 85 or 86,it was the first year with the saftey,first gun I ever bought.
J C Higgins model 42 DL, 22 LR. Purchased in 1963 and still used almost daily. It has out lasted several scopes and half a dozen magazines and slings.
1976 Remington 66 Bi-centenial model..
Not counting ones that were "passed down" a Ruger 77 tang in 270win 1975.
Marlin/Glenfield model 60 .22 semiauto. I bought it used (I mean my dad bought it...) when I was 15 in 1985 with money made from my job at the pizza parlor. Still outshoots any 10-22 I have ever shot.
m44 russian 7.62x54r when i was about 16
Stevens 325 in .30-.30...got it when I was 13..worn out then but a good shooter...
Mossberg .22, Mod. 342K, got it for Christmas for my 11th birthday. That was 52 years ago!!

The rifle has had many tens of thousands of rounds of .22 ammo thru it, most fired at jackrabbits and prairie dogs while I was growing up. It still functions perfectly.
A Winchester model 67 single shot .22, given to me for Christmas in 1963.

My oldest centerfire is a Flatbolt Ruger M77RS in .350RemMag that I bought for myself for Christmas in 1971 or 72. $165 from Sears. Still going strong, and still the 'Hammer of Thor' on critters, big or small.
Mine's another 10/22. I got it for Christmas 35 years ago. Still shoots great with the Redfield we put on it then.
M700 308win 16 years
I'd count two of them. Technically a Rem 522 "Viper" .22 (got from my parents for Christmas when I was 18). Yes - they are junk but I'm not getting rid of it. Other is a PF Win 70 (originally a 30-06 carbine) that is now in an EDGE and a Pac-Nor 30-06 barrel.
The Marlin 30-30 my parents gave me for my 12th Christmas. I may have better choices now but this will be the last gun that ever leaves the safe if it came to down it.
The Model 70 Fwt. in .30-06 that I bought the summer that I graduated from high school (1961).
Marlin 1895 G .45-70, see my avartar.

Started out with a Ruger .30-06. Nothing wrong with it but sold it to buy my pup. Sold the 98 that replaced it two years later to buy my Marlin. It has been around (and is to stay) since 2002.

Max (the pup) and I chased a leg shot deer for miles yesterday and I dispatched it with that Marlin.

Savage Mod. 20, 250-3000, given to me by Dad after he got a FN in 06...1957. Kilt lots of chucks and crows and fox..even some deer.
Remington field master 722 22 lr. pump. 35 years.
Remington 572. Centerfire a M77 MKII .243.
Winchester 67 (1986 I think)
Savage M110 243 (Christmas of 1990)
Marlin 99 22lr. I bought it new back in the mid 60's. The barrel is browning and the mag tube has a ding in it, but it still shoots fine and has never, ever jammed.
Springfield Model 15, 1959...7x57 Mauser 1969 K Mart Special
I buy, sell, then buy & sell again so my rifles come & go like the wind. Never been sentimental or is it just, I have not found the perfect rifle yet wink
Our Bruno Model 2 is a keeper!
[Linked Image]

This one...Remington Model 600 in .308. paid for it with lawn mowing money I made as a kid in the summer of 1967...ordered it through the mail brand new for $75.00....
Scenar you were killing big bucks even back then!!!

Mine is a Winchester model 70 sporter in 270 weatherby mag. Dad bought me this for my first rifle in 1992 and have hunted with it every year since.
I couldn't wait for Christmas in 1962. I wanted a Mattel Shootin' Shell rifle/pistol set. I got it and thought I was in heaven. I also got the little Sharps from Woolworth's when they were around 89 cents. I had to pick up a few pop bottles to pay for it.

If you think ammo is expensive for those big double rifles, think again. Original Shootin' Shell ammo will run you around $45.00 for two and 6 plastic bullets...

[Linked Image]
Remington 700 ADL .270 in 1993, I was 13, paid for it with money made hauling hay, picking up black walnuts, and mowing yards. Haven't shot anything with it in a few years, but through high school and college it was good for at least 2 or 3 deer a year. On sale at Kmart, $330 for ADL, $360 for BDL. I didn't like the BDL's when I was 13 and still don't at 29.
Winchester Model 94, antique version, that I bought in the fall of '73.
Remington Model 30S in 257 Roberts purchased used... and I will own it until I die. I have a strong affinity for this rifle. Perhaps I feel sorry for its looks.
G33/40 280 metal by Tom Burgess stock by Monty Kennedy in real russian walnut completed for me in 1978 at a total cost of less than $1000 including modest engraving.
My mom gave me her single shot Winchester 67 in 1959. I still use it as our back door rifle.
Well I still have a Mosin Nagant that my father gave me in 1961. For a Hunting rifle, well its an old 7mm Remington Mag I bought in late 1969 And the Steyr Mannlicer Mod. M in 7 x 57 I bought in 1976. I hunted with it Christmas Morning.
Marlin 989 M1 .22 My Dad bought me when I was 10 (1970). My oldest high powered rifle is a Remington 788 .243 that my Dad bought me for good grades in school when I was 14.

Ron
The first Alaska PFD was in 1980 and my father let my brother and I order Weatherby Vanguards in 300 Win Mag. I got one with a very light blonde cast to it. My brother's was darkish.
I still have mine. He doesn't.
You can't complain about a state that actually gives you money for guns and I haven't complained since.

Sincerely,
Thomas
I may have the first rifle I ever owned; not sure if it got stolen with my first shotgun or if I just hid the rifle so well that I can't find it myself. Either way, the bolt was split due to a 22LR overload which I made before I had any business trying to reload - but not with rimfires.

I'll have to go with the Winchester 670 30-06 which I bought in the summer of '83 at Scheels in Moorhead, Minnesota if I remember the right store - could have been Fargo, across the river. That "rough M70" has always been a good rifle.
H&R "Plainsman" .22 rimfire bolt, 48 years ago. My dad gave it to me for my 9th birthday. I still use it to keep coons and possums away from our deer camp.
Ruger Mini 30 7.62x39 and my trusty T/C Hawkens 50 cal. Just can't seem to part with either one.

Ken
First gun was a Jc Higgins single shot .410 still have wont get rid of it. First rifle was a pre 64 mdl 94 30/30 should of kept it. I plan to never get rid of another firearm. The only way that could change would be in the case of extreme financial misfortune.
First rifle was given to me by my grandad to shoot junior NRA three positon, a springfield m2 22. That was in 1960. Still have it but it will go to one of my grandkids hopefully..
Originally Posted by akjeff
Rem. 582 .22lr. My folks gave it to me, as my first firearm, at age 10, I believe. It's still in the safe, and shot for old times sake, every now and then.

Jeff

Same here except I got mine at age 7. Nothing fancy but still one of the most reliably accurate 22's I have ever had.
For centerfire: a Ruger 77R in 25-06 I bought at age 20.
The one that I've owned the longest is a Remington 600 that my Dad bought for me to hunt deer with when I was 12.

That was 1964, so I've had this rifle for 45 years.

It's now a 25-284 with a Pac-Nor barrel, McMillan mtn rife stock and a Leupold 6x42mm scope.

Virgil B.
Mosin Nagant purchase for 59 dollars in early 60's.
Guess my oldest rifle would be a Valmet 12ga./.223 my wife gave me for my 40th birthday in 1992....close about that same time would be a Marlin 1894S in .41 Magnum...

Bob
An old single shot .410 It's up at my Dad's, but I killed my first deer with it at 9. I'm 45 now. Not to mention countless squirrels, blackbirds, and rabbits
A Remington 700 BDL in 270 Winchester purchased in 1973 in Missoula Montana with a Redfield Tracker 3 x 9 scope. Gave it to my youngest son for his 16th Birthday last year. Killed lots of deer, elk, bear and javelina and too many varmints with 90g Sierra HPs to count. Still shoots great and looks pretty, just a couple of small scratches/gouges here and there ...

smile

Chuck
I had a 270 win also long ago should have never sold it. Good all around unit.
22 lr stevens favorite( the real one) made around the turn of the century. it was my dads and i hornswoggled him on a trade for a cheap little foreign made 22 revolver that my mom couldn't live with out.
1.longest owned.. Stevens 22/410 given in 1952

2.Longest I bought.. Marlin 39A Carbine in 1964

3.Oldest Gun... 1860? Moore double barrel Shotgun my fathers grandfather used to kill Yankees.
SAKO L46 in 222 Remington. Bought it in 1966. smile

Ted
Marlin 39A bought in 1957, also have my dad's Mod 37 Marlin I started shooting it about 1950.Both .22's --- Mel
Model 94, 30/30 Winchester..

My dad bought it in June 1966, at the RAF Alconbury Rod and Gun Club on base just before we came back to the USA after him being stationed in England for 3 years...
Originally Posted by ringworm
Pretty self explanatory.
For me its a pre 81 Browning lever action that my father gave me in 1979. 308 winchester. it now wears a 3.5-10x40 leupold. I took both my first deer and first buck with it.
I carried it this morning, in fact.

Ringworm, you started a great thread here - I have enjoyed reading it as it grows with new entries each day. Interesting just how many firearms were gifts from parents and relatives. Odessa
Marlin Model 60 given to me in 1967

Ithaca Model 66 Super Single 20 ga. given to me Christmas of 65 by Dad and Mom.

Rem. 788 chambered in 308 Win. fall of 1967, bought that one myself with money I earned putting up hay all summer.

Still have all of them. The 788 is ready for it's fourth barrel.

PaPa260
I have a WestPoint (made by Marlin) lever action 30-30 that was my Dad's, and it was given to me in 1982.
Rem 700 BDL in 270 Win purchased back in the early 70's. Now in its 4th stock, jr sized for my grandson.
Savage mod 23A 22short, 22long and 22long rifle. made in 1923. given to me in 1983.
I have a Model 94 Winchester 3030 my father bought new in 1958, and gave to me. I was 8 years old at the time, and have been owning it and shootin it for 52 years now. I almost have it broke in I guess.
In my younger years I was a tracker on man hunts in Law Enforcement, and I have newspaper clippings with pics of me carrying that rifle on a track.
I it carried for almost 20 years doin that, and many a outlaw has looked down the business end of it.
Marlin Model 60; my first rifle.

Basically worn out, and in need of some serious TLC. Gonna "play with it" some, when I get to reworking it.
Winchester 94 in 356 Win. My wife bought it for me brand new in 1992. Beautiful walnut stock ... the gun that is. smile
winchester m70 push feed in .30-06. bought her used at a gun show 25+ years ago. paid $325 for it as-is.

moa rifle with factory stuff, prolly could get smaller with the handloads, but why bother. breaks bottle and kills stuff. someone put a lotsa $ in this rifle. fully bedded stock, prolly a 2lb. trigger. currently wearing a 3-10x40 scope. wandered into a gun shop 3-4 years ago, found the brother to this rifle, with no scope, in mint condition. it's been shot, but no indication of wear, no dings, metal almost 100%. dealer said he wanted $400 for it, and i jumped. both in .30 u.s. slapped a new leupold scope on it and stuffed it in the safe. figure it's a backup when the first one wears out. haven't shot it yet. prolly need to do so one of these days.

-tom
A pair of pre 64 M70's in Brown Precision synthetic stocks and Krieger barrels;one in 375H&H and the other in 270 Winchester.Both go back to the 1980's.

Both are on their second barrels.All up with scope the 375 weighs 8 pounds,and the 270 comes in at 6-14.Both are long favorites and very reliable rifles.
Bob,

There is a 2 gun battery you could probably hunt the world with and never look back...
I have owned a Browning bolt action safari grade, .300 Winchester magnum rifle made in Belgium back in 1964. It has served me very well and I never paid any attention to it weighing a hair over 8-lbs. It was also the most accurate medium bore caliber rifle, right out of the box I have ever owned
Marlin 336 in 44mg. I bought it new with my first 2 or 3 pay checks in 1967. I have given it to my oldest son, but that rifle will always be mine:)
A Browning BAR in 30-06, made in Belgium in '71; shoots lights
out; a xmas gift from my father; So good that I have not considered another rifle;
A Remington scoremaster 22 LR handed down to me back in 64 (I was 10) by my older brother. He had been given it by an uncle back in the early 1950's.
1903 Springfield sporter, bought from the gunsmith who stocked it in 1970, Lyman 48 sight, $150. A couple years later, had it drilled and tapped, bolt altered, fitted w/ Timney triggerl, replaced the Springfield mainspring w/ one from an Enfield for faster lock time. Scary accurate, to this day. It won the first registered metallic silhoutte match ever held in the state of Missouri (Aug., 1979)...and with a Leupold M8 4x scope.
Winchester Model 94 25-35 cal. Bought it from a bartender in Winifred MT - 1963. The original owner was a fellow by the name of Red Shirt Charley who had a little spread in the Missouri Breaks up towards Big Sandy. His pickup broke down just outside Winifred and he hocked the rifle at the bar for cash to repair it. Weeks later he came to town to buy the rifle back from the bartender. The bartender told him who bought it and Charley came looking for me...wanted to buy it from me. I was working on a road construction crew at the time and he caught up with me at the job site. He wanted to buy the rifle for what I paid for it and I said no way. He would not take no for an answer. So I went for big profit and gave him my price.
He took a swing at me, I ducked and hit him with the #2 shovel I had in my hand. Not a fair fight you say? He stood 6'4" and weighed about 260. Me? A scrawny 6' 175#
I have my Dad's Remington Model 12 .22 that he purchased in 1921 in Fort Bayard, NM. Found the receipt in among his stuff when he passed away. He started me shooting it when I was about 7. The first new rifle I ever purchased with my lawn mowing money was a Marlin 336A 30-30. I remember mother had to sign for it at Gibsons Discount Center, so maybe about 1969? I still shoot it too. To be very honest, when I purchase a gun I usually get pretty attached to it, and I still have it. Maybe that explains the 5 Fort Knox gun safes and the need for another.
Roundoak - that is a great story. Allen 917, I used to live in Odessa TX when I was a boy. I had forgotten all about Gibson's Discount Centers, sort of an early Wal-Mart, my Mom like to shop there (with all five of us in tow).
1903 Springfield I bought at the Army Store in Knoxville, Tennessee, the Monday after JFK was shot. I paid $30 for it and an additional $5 for 50 rounds of ammo.
a marlin 70hc (22 LR) - magazine fed auto-loader which currently sports a nice little nikon 4x
Remington 788, .243, circa 1981: a Christmas present from Dad. I took a 10 pt. whitetail with it the next Fall, & 2 or 3 others, as well.

It had a nice, shiny 4x Tasco on it. I thought it kicked a lot, but shooting a short barreled rifle with no hearing protection can make a pre-teen believe such things.

It went into the gun cabinet for 20+ years, 'til I got back into hunting. I found it shoots just about as poorly as it ever did. I've a mind to turn a gunsmith loose on it - make the trigger serviceable, bed it, etc. I'd like to think one of my kids might be a good steward of it one day.

FC
Originally Posted by Ivan

... which currently sports a nice little nikon 4x

I really like that little 4x ProStaff - it's a sweet setup on a .22lr.

FC
that's the one! wonderful piece of glass and priced right
I was stationed in west texas in the air force in 1967; my home base was big spring, and abiline; we shot coyotes from helicopters; got $.50 for each ear; I shot a 22-250, 50 gr.;
my buddies shot their m-16's; I shot many more than they did;I made my 'goin to town' money with that remington 788; had a 8-16 tasco with drop compensator rings on it; shot them dogs at 120-130 mph plus out of the chopper with that gun; man, them were the days;
My oldest rifle is my Remington 700 ADL in .270 win.
I cut tobacco at my uncles farm all summer and saved every penny to buy it and a Bushnell 3-9 scope. I remember walking into RPM Gunshop near Charleston SC. I had right at $180.00 cash.
I told the owner what I wanted, and how much money I had.
I remember him telling me it was my lucky day, because he had one left, and it just so happened to be on sale with that exact scope for right at $180.00. He told me to give him a few minutes and he'd mount the scope and bore sight it. Me and my dad browsed around for a bit, and the owner brought out my new rifle
mounted in Leupold rings and a 1 pc base. He also added a military leather sling. He handed me a couple of targets, and a box of Winchester 130 grn power point bullets.
They had a 100 yrd outdoor range behind the shop, and I shot 1.2 the box of bullets sighting the rifle in, and just shooting it for the fun of it. I saved the rest of the bullets for deer season. That was in 1976.
Looking back, I have no idea what the rifle and scope really cost. I'm sure it sold for much more than what Mr. Bob sold it to me for, but it's a memory I'll have to my dying days.

As far as what gun I've had the longest, it's a Iver Johnson Champion .410 single shot that my uncle gave me back in 1963.
Depending on when you were in Odessa, you might remember Strike it Rich dept store. I am pretty sure that is where I bought my Remington Nylon 66 in Apache Black and chrome. Still got that one too. LOL. My mother always knew where to find me if I got seperated from her in a store that sold guns. She never could understand it though.
© 24hourcampfire