308 Norma Magnum

Posted by: northcountry

308 Norma Magnum - 12/22/09 01:23 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to place this: but here goes!
I would like to know how many guys & gals are still using the
308NM as their man or most go to rifle? Also would like to know
how many have a 308 NM, Would like to hear your favorite loads
as well. Last does any have one that they may be interested in trading for a new o6 Browning (less than a box through it.)
Thanks for your time and input. Merry Christmas to all and a Happy NEW Year. Cheers NC
Posted by: SCGunNut

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/22/09 08:17 PM

I don't own what I'd consider a "go to rifle" for the simple fact that love using a variety of different rifles. That said, one of my favorite long shooters is a Parker-Hale Mauser in .308 Norma. It's one of the most accurate rifles in my battery and it killed my biggest whitetail to date. Years ago I stockpiled a near lifetime supply of factory ammo so that's mainly what I use in it. I have dies and several other lifetimes of brass waiting in the wings if I need to load for it. The .308 Norma won't do anything that a .300 Winchester won't do but nearly everybody has a .300 Winchester, therefore I pick the Norma. I love the .308 Norma Magnum and its big brother the .358 Norma Magnum, which I have a Husqvarna in.
Posted by: Kaiser Norton

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/22/09 08:45 PM

A while back I picked up a M70 in 7mm magnum in the classifieds here, the idea was to make it into a .257 Roy. That mutated into a desire for a .30/.338 until a coworker asked me to sell his RCBS .308 Norma die set. Then tastes changed away from magnums completely and the 7mm went to a gentleman in NC (as I recall). The die set still sits in my basement in case I ever get a case of Magnumitis again (or in case the state of ND ever gifts me with an Elk or Moose tag). Or somebody offers me an obscene amount of money for it...whichever comes first.

Kaiser Norton
Posted by: Dancing Bear

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/22/09 10:43 PM

Hi North country, long time no see.

I don't use my two .308 Norma's for my go to rifles. They aren't stainless. Otherwise they could well be. I drag one to Eastern Oregon pretty regularly.

Favorite Load for most stuff, 73 H4831SC, 180 Nosler,Hornady, Bronze Point, Core-Lokt. Good in both rifles. Matches trajectory with the factory loads to two hundred yards at least.

I really like the cartridge. It has been extremely easy to load for, both rifles are very accurate and neither is finicky about loads. It works with 165's and 200 grainers as well.

Sorry but I don't want to trade off my FN Mauser and your Browning is worth more than my Winchester manufactured P-17 which i really don't want to get rid of either. I would be glad to let you shoot either to see if you like the cartridge, etc. For that matter you can hunt them.

PM me about it if you would like to get together and do so.

We have talked about it enough.

Seeya later,

Gary
Posted by: Redneck

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Kaiser Norton
A while back I picked up a M70 in 7mm magnum in the classifieds here, the idea was to make it into a .257 Roy. That mutated into a desire for a .30/.338 until a coworker asked me to sell his RCBS .308 Norma die set. Then tastes changed away from magnums completely and the 7mm went to a gentleman in NC (as I recall). The die set still sits in my basement in case I ever get a case of Magnumitis again (or in case the state of ND ever gifts me with an Elk or Moose tag). Or somebody offers me an obscene amount of money for it...whichever comes first.

Kaiser Norton
Will $20 do it? laugh

The more I look at this round, the more I like it.. I may have to build one for myself, just for S&Gs..
Posted by: MColeman

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Redneck
Originally Posted By: Kaiser Norton

Kaiser Norton
Will $20 do it? laugh

The more I look at this round, the more I like it.. I may have to build one for myself, just for S&Gs..

Lee, if'n you get the itch I have a 30-.338 reamer on hand if you need it. It's one of my favorite magnums.
Posted by: sactoller

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 02:26 PM

I like it, wish I had built one sooner. Still working on loads but this one worked just fine!
Posted by: tbear99

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 03:30 PM

It's one of my favorites if i did'nt already own 2 i would of made one out of my first custom rifle.I have a parker hale deluxe rh and a remm 700 bdl lh.Sorry till i get the chance to really run them both through the ringer.I won't be getting rid of either.But you can convert any 30-06 to 308 norma
Posted by: SU35

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 04:17 PM

Always wanted one built on a L61R.
Posted by: 1minute

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 04:21 PM

Geez! My eyes! Wrap some blue tape on the muzzle and one should have a real long range shooter there.
Posted by: tbear99

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 04:44 PM

Originally Posted By: sactoller
I like it, wish I had built one sooner. Still working on loads but this one worked just fine!

pretty gun but some one put the bolt on wrong side laugh laugh
Posted by: bearstalker

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 04:50 PM

Nice rifle indeed! Specs?
Posted by: efw

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Redneck

Yeah me too. Cool factor is significant...

I think I know what my next build is gonna be...
Posted by: BC30cal

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/23/09 07:46 PM

northcountry;
I hope this finds you and yours well sir.

We currently have two 308 Normas, the first one I cobbled together for my wife on a Steyr made 98 action, the second one for me to use on a tang model Ruger 77 action. I used a no-name 23 5/8” barrel on my wife’s and a 24” Parker Hale barrel on the Ruger. The no-name barrel shoots a bit better, but both have enough accuracy for our needs.

I use my Norma as a walking around rifle if I’ve got an elk or moose tag in my pocket, which is during the first part of our season up here. I’d say I use it about ¼ of the time when I hunt, perhaps a bit more. It has been sort of a “lucky” rifle for me in that I seem to run into whitetail more with it than other rifles and I killed my only moose to date with it.

In my wife’s we mostly shot 76.5gr of H4831 and a 165gr Hornady BT which was doing just under 3000fps most days with that load.

In the Ruger I settled on 75gr of RL19 and a 168gr TSX which again heads out pretty much at 3000fps on the nose.

I’ve also loaded 68gr of RL19 and a 200gr Partition which I somehow misplaced the velocity for, sorry.

I thought the .308 Norma fit into the 98 and older Ruger actions with less fuss than a .300WinMag, which is why we chose the Norma over that cartridge. It was an easy task to make the Mauser feed belted cartridges very well. The Ruger was a factory .338 and was actually more vexing to get to feed without fail. frown

As an interesting side note, I’ve done side by side comparisons with the Norma’s beside my .300WinMag Ruger No. 1 with its 26” barrel. Despite their shorter barrels the Norma’s will generally equal the speed of the .300WM with a grain less powder.

Hopefully that was some use to you and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Dwayne

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: MColeman
Lee, if'n you get the itch I have a 30-.338 reamer on hand if you need it. It's one of my favorite magnums.
Thanks, Mickey, that's mighty white of ya... Hehehehee

Merry Christmas to you, family, and of course the dogs.. laugh
Posted by: Hawk_Driver

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 07:37 AM

I have 2 308 NM's, one on a M-77 and one on a MRC 1999. Tried to sell the MRC on here but no luck. The Ruger likes 150AB's and Hornandy 190 BTSP's. The MRC really shot 165 IB's well, which is what I used for antelope. The round really seems pretty easy to load for, never ran into any snags on load development. IMR 4831 and R-22 gave the best velocity and accuracy with all bullets. H1000 was a real disappointment in both rifles as far as velocity.
Posted by: greydog

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 09:13 AM

I think the 308 Norma is the best of the belted 30 calibers. I don't use mine much but I will always have it.
Dwayne,
It is a better fit for 98's, Rugers, and other standard length actions (mine's on a pre-64 M70). I'm not real surprised at the difficulties in getting the Ruger to feed real well. One of my most challenging gunsmithing jobs was fixing feeding issues on a Model 77 in 338. After about 3 hours of frustration, I threw the mag box across the shop with plenty of velocity. The welds broke apart at the rear of the box and upon re-assembly, it functioned flawlessly! I tacked the rear of the box in it's new, wider, location and it was cured. Convinced I had found the answer, when I got the next malfunctioning Ruger in (a 300 Win Mag), I started out by punting the box briskly into the wall. Plainly, the spot welds were better on this one and it held up fine. I finally did get it apart though only to find no change in feeding. Oh, well. It was back to the drawing board.
BTW, Merry Christmas to you and your family as well. GD
Posted by: mtnman1

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 10:21 AM

greydog,

That's a classic story. I got a real kick outa that one.

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 11:11 AM

LMAO... I gotta remember this 'remedy'...

Merry Christmas to you, GD... laugh
Posted by: sactoller

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: bearstalker
Nice rifle indeed! Specs?

Ruger M77
Douglas #3 24" 10 twist (IT&D)
Mcmillan 70/30 Turquoise/white (July 4th sale)
Nikon Monarch 6x42 (campfire)

Jason
Posted by: efw

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/24/09 04:23 PM

...and don't forget y'all, with the longer neck the NM has more accuracy potential than the WM wink .
Posted by: WVGuy

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/25/09 05:55 AM

I have a custom 308N built on an Interarms MK X action.

My gun has an old style rollover stock in tiger striped maple, diamond inlets, and rosewood tips. It sure is an eye catcher.

The high rollover may not be in current vogue, but it sure fits nicely.

Something no one has mentioned in this post - you can very easily neck down 338 Win brass and blow out the shoulder. Yes, it makes the neck a bit short, but it sure is cheaper than Norma brass.

The 308 Norma is one of those rifle looney calibers! Who wants the same as everyone else?

I use AA 4350 in mine. It just works. I have used both Sierra bullets and Nosler Partitions.

The caliber is not bad to shoot. You just do not shoot a 22 and then pick up a 300 mag.
Posted by: 30338

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/25/09 06:56 AM

Necking up 7 mag brass worked well for me as another option.
Posted by: 79S

Re: 308 Norma Magnum - 12/25/09 10:25 AM

I have a factory chambered Cougar Voerre in a 308 Norma mag it lvoes 180's and 190 Hornadies... I love it as far as I'm concerned the best of all the 30 Cal Magnums...