Home
Posted By: JimC Pull Length - 01/17/10
Years ago I read somewhere that factory stocks are designed for the average man who is about 5'10" and that a rough rule of thumb says that for every inch a person's height varies from this standard you add or subtract an 1/8' from the LOP. I am 5'5" and I used this rule when ordering a McMillian G&H style stock for my pre-64 fwt. They made it 5/8" shorter than the original factory stock. It seemed to be about right. The stock does look slightly out of proportion but it is the only way I can get a full field of view with most scopes without forcing my head forward uncomfortably. Has anyone else used this rule?
Posted By: gwindrider1 Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
That rule doesn't work for me, 5'11". I shoot best with a LOP that is slightly longer than standard. We're all diferent in the way we hold a rifle, and I would not worry about the shorter appearance of your rifle as long as it feels right for you.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
I'm 5'10" so have not had an issue with standard lenght of pull...Think it's all an idividual thing as some like to sit up a stock and some back
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
I haven't used the rule you mention but I did shorten two of my rifle's LOP for the same reason you did. The LOP is 13 1/4 " on both and I'm 5'10". The rifles are far more comfortable to shoot and mount easier.
Posted By: scoutman Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
The late Jeff Cooper (may he rest in Valhalla) said in his book "The Art of the Rifle" "that stock length is better too short than too long." With this concept he settled on a LOP of 12.5" and he was 6'2" tall.

LOP should be measured under field conditions under which the rifle is to be used. Often in the field you will have several layers of clothing on. This makes for a shorter LOP. Also your shooting position in the field will be less than vertical, often being bent forward up to 20 degrees. Again calling for a shorter LOP.

My field test is this: Assume the "squat" position. Then have a friend hand you your rifle. Next mount the rifle. If it comes up smoothly to your shoulder without catching on any clothing, then that LOP is acceptible for you.
Posted By: sgtsmmiii Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
Mule Deer had an article in Rifle magazine a couple of years ago on that very topic. If I recall correctly, the formula you posted was his thoughts, also. It works very well for me ( generally 13 1/4" pull at 5'8" ). I have a couple that I ordered at 13" ( for winter coyote hunting ).
Posted By: GF1 Re: Pull Length - 01/17/10
Cooper's gouge is smack on - I like a rifle about 13 3/8", 13 3/4" definitely too long, and I can get by easily with a 13" pull. On a shotgun, for comparison, with pistol grip, 14 1/2" is right; on a straight grip, 15" w/ single trigger. My favorite SxS double, with double triggers, is 15 3/8" to the front trigger and fits perfectly. Go figure.

I believe the length dimension has more to do with arm length than height, but there is a lot more to it than that.
Posted By: Spaff Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
I'm just six foot and need a shirt with a 37" sleeve (which is almost impossible to get so I mostly wear my sleeves rolled up) and I like a 13 1/2 or shorter LOP. I think my elbow is in the wrong place.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
Too many variables to just depend on a persons height.Long neck, long legs,short legs etc vs body.If your nose is about 1 1/2 inches from your thumb when the gun is mounted that is about right. Adjustments need to be made for what type of clothing you will be wearing
Posted By: taz4570 Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
All of mine are cut to 12.5"-13" for proper fit and feel. The only exception are my Kimbers. They fit fine at the fatory LOP of 13.5 or so. Don't ask why.
Posted By: noKnees Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
I am 5'8" and like a LOP of 13 to 13 1/4. so I am not to far from the formula. I do a portion of my hunting in colder weather so a little short gives you some room for clothing.

You can go a little shorter for a rifle that will be fired standing and from a bench, but a little more LOP helps when firing prone.

For shooting in the summer its easy to add a slip on pad for a little more length.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by JimC
Years ago I read somewhere that factory stocks are designed for the average man who is about 5'10" and that a rough rule of thumb says that for every inch a person's height varies from this standard you add or subtract an 1/8' from the LOP. I am 5'5" and I used this rule when ordering a McMillian G&H style stock for my pre-64 fwt. They made it 5/8" shorter than the original factory stock. It seemed to be about right. The stock does look slightly out of proportion but it is the only way I can get a full field of view with most scopes without forcing my head forward uncomfortably. Has anyone else used this rule?
..........Well, that`s interesting! I wonder who came up with that formula. That must mean that I`m really out of whack @ 6'3" tall with a 6'2" reach using a Ruger carbine with a 12.5" LOP.

Feels, handles, shoulders, and balances just fine, with no problems! I get the rifle I want and then adapt to all the other trivial bull.

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Too many variables to just depend on a persons height.Long neck, long legs,short legs etc vs body.If your nose is about 1 1/2 inches from your thumb when the gun is mounted that is about right. Adjustments need to be made for what type of clothing you will be wearing

Yup!

And full note should be made of the fact you never mentioned arm length. That hinge in the middle allows that sucker to adapt to ANY length... Getting the neck, shoulder, and head to adapt is much harder.
art

6'4" at my tallest with nearly 7' of wing span and factory LOP is pretty close to good enough...
Posted By: RyanScott Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
6' and I am currently in love with 14 1/8" stocks. Then again I use REALLY long eye relief scopes primarily, and on one, iron sights. Oddly, on my AR I use about a 9 inch length of pull.
And winter time amounts to how much extra clothing?
The way I hunt? Half inch. At most. Usually I stalk in long John tops. My rifles for stand and still hunting are shorter. I have long arms.
Posted By: D2Junky Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
It's a good place to start. Stock design and arm length also factor into the equation. When I ordered my first NULA Mr. Forbes asked for my neck and sleeve length measurements. I answered fireplug and he set me up with 13.25 and it fit like a charm. I go shorter on some and longer on others taking clothing into account.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
i do not go by any particular rule of thumb only because until today i had never seen that one. but at 5'-6" and shrinking (over 50) i have been wittling my stocks down a tad. two years ago i hunted in very cold conditions and was a bit over a month removed from major surgey on my neck, so i grabbed the .243 with shorten stock my son uses and dang if that thing didn't fit well will all the layers i had on. LOP is 12 1/2" i believe. my other rifles are set up at 13" to 13 1/4". sure has made getting on target a whole lot easier once i started to cut my stocks to fit and not worry about the abuse i get from my 6'-2" buddies, ..............something along the lines of "where in the kids department do you find......"
Posted By: seamount Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
I have the same problem, at 5'5 I need a 12.5 length of pull. A reverse scope mount also lets you get the scope back a little more to compensate. The stock on my Remington is a Brown Precision and set this up maybe 20 years ago. I ordered an unfinished stock and shortend up both ends so it all looks in proportion. The McMillian I believe is built up glass so it would be no problem to shorten up the fore end if it really bothers you. It would take a little glass work and some filling and sanding. Phil
Posted By: Leftybolt Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
I'm 6'2" and have a long torso. I don't think my neck is long but I do tend to crawl up on a stock. For me LOP has got to be in the range of 13 7/8" to 14 1/8" or it just feels to short. I also tend to mount my scopes a bit more forward in the rings than most people do.

At 6'2" and using a LOP of 12.5", Jeff Cooper must have never taken a prone shot in his life. grin

If I used 12.5" LOP I'd have scope eye constantly!

I tend to use the length of my forearm to the bend in the elbow as a reference for myself(If my finger is on the trigger and the buttstock is firm against my bicep(approx. 14") I'm good to go.

Interesting how everybody is different.

Leftybolt

lefty
Using the forearm measure I would need a 16" LOP... Guarantee that would not work...
art
Lefty I have a long neck as well.
Posted By: Leftybolt Re: Pull Length - 01/18/10
Sitka,

Yea, I can see how that wouldn't work for you, works for me though.

Obviously there's no hard and fast rule that will work for everyone.

Leftybolt
© 24hourcampfire