Home
Besides the obvious ability to shoot .35 cal bullets, what does the 35 Whelen offer to the hunter over a 338-06 A-Square?
Heavier bullets, and history. I've had a Whelen since 1993, and have shot lots of stuff with it, here and in Africa. So I have a very high level of confidence in it.

That being said, I also have a .338 RCM, which is a short/fat version of the .338-06. (OK, the RCM case holds three grains more than the .338-06...wow...) Anything I shot with my Whelen would have died exactly the same way had I shot it with a .338-06, assuming the same bullet weights, velocities and performance on my part.

The Whelen can shoot heavier bullets better; the .338-06 can shoot lighter bullets better. If you want 225 on up, get a Whelen. If you want to shoot 225 and below, get a .338.

In reality and the world, it won't matter much...

Dennis
What he said (muledeer)
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
Besides the obvious ability to shoot .35 cal bullets, what does the 35 Whelen offer to the hunter over a 338-06 A-Square?

Dawn2Dusk,
Can you buy a factory rifle chambered in the 338-06 A-Square?
Originally Posted by Nrut

Dawn2Dusk,

At this point in the ballgame, I dare say "No"...

At differing points, Weatherby and Winchester factory chambered the round.

Some call NULA factory but I personally consider them a "custom" rig and they are offered in 338-06. Same can be said for Cooper Rifles...

Real world no diff, micro mgt world...the 35 you can bullets a bit heavier and with the 33 you'll get a bit more penetration.

But, bottom line, no diff

Dober
Have to agree there is little to no "real world" difference with performance. I shoot a Whelen and would prefer it should an emergency arise and need to purchase factory ammo. While not as readily available as '06 it can be found. Probably not the same 338-06 A-Square.

Nelson
Originally Posted by Nelson
Have to agree there is little to no "real world" difference with performance. I shoot a Whelen and would prefer it should an emergency arise and need to purchase factory ammo. While not as readily available as '06 it can be found. Probably not the same 338-06 A-Square.

Nelson

I hear (actually read) what you're saying, but if you are close enough to a good hunting/fishing store that carries a wide variety of ammunition and they have 35 Whelen fodder I'd be willing to bet it's a pretty good store and a box of Weatherby 210 gr. Part. 338-06 could be dusted off too. If you are in the middle of Bum'fudge'egypt it's difficult to put your hands on much of anything past the main staples... If it's having access to factory ammunition that sways a vote, I'd say the 30-06 and 300 Win Mag shouldn't be overlooked. JMO...
Both the .35 Whelen and the .338-06 have major advantages over the .30-'06 and .300 magnums. There are no comparisons whatsoever, other than that they are one hell of a lot better hunting cartridges..

You can buy .35 Whelen factory ammunition in most stores in Southeast Alaska, by the by...

Dennis
Not in Georgia... No one has seen such an ammo shortage around these parts the likes what we have these days... Lucky to find 9mm handgun ammo and that's if it happened to be behind a pouch of redman chew!

--------------------

Back to subject:

So the major advantage is heft over one and penetration over the other?
I think there's a slight advantage to a handloader with the
338-06 because of the wider range of bullet selection. In 338 bullets you can shoot 160gr up to 300gr. This is also why the 338win is widely (and arguably) considered to be the most versatile of BG cartridges, especially for the handloader.IMHO.

Mind you, I'd love to have a nice Whelen too.
Last year when deciding on which to build I like both when it came to reloading but went with the 35 Whelen for loading heavier bullets and factory ammo was available at twice as many shops.
35 Whelen you can shoot 110 up to 310, if playing that game.

In the end it's all for naught.
I believe Weatherby is the only factory ammo for a 338-06.

They use to build this caliber in their rifle line.

I use Norma brass or Weatherby brass (made by Norma) stamped 338-06 A-Square for my 338-06 Acley Improved. Shoots 225gr Accubonds and TTSX's very nice
Originally Posted by MightyPeace
I believe Weatherby is the only factory ammo for a 338-06.

They use to build this caliber in their rifle line.

I use Norma brass or Weatherby brass (made by Norma) stamped 338-06 A-Square for my 338-06 Acley Improved. Shoots 225gr Accubonds and TTSX's very nice

Weatherby, Nosler and A-Square load it but that's about the run of race for it...
I have a .300Win, a .300Wby, a .338-06, and a .375H&H. A .35Whelen would be nice, but what for? I only shoot whitetails, and with a .308Win Sav 99. Life is good.
Steelhead, where do you get 110 to 310gr bullets in 35 caliber, unless you use 357 handgun bullets, or cast lead?
Just wondering, not being critical..

I was talking about comercially available, component BG hunting bullets.
I shoot both, but choose the 338 over my 35 Whelen because of the rifle. I have a Weatherby SBGM in 338-06 and a Remington 700 BDL in 35 Whelen. I tend to agree with previous statements about lighter bullets for the 338 and heavier for the 35 Whelen. In real world terms, there is little to no difference,
Yep, you can run pistol bullets in them, thinking a 158gr Hornady doing 1800fps from a downloaded Whelen will kill deer just like a full loaded 357 Mag lever, so I'm guessing that would make it a BG bullet

Woodleigh makes 310gr bullets.

Personally for me bullets are like chicks, I don't need a 100 different ones, just one good one.
Muledeer said it well. I am partial to the 35 Whelen for the very reasons he mentioned.
The biggest advantage is the availability of factory ammo and rifles.

On paper, I think the 338-06 has the edge. But all of this is truly splitting hairs.

When I had my rifles built, the 35 Whelen hadn't made it's big surge of renewed popularity yet. Besides, I owned a 35 Whelen in a Remington classic and it absolutely kicked the snot out me.

I tend to agree with Steelhead that you don't need a whole bunch of bullets, just one good one. With my 338-06's I could be happy with a Barnes 210gr TSX, and be done. If I owned a Whelen, it would be a 225gr of the TSX persuasion.

Swift does make a 338 cal- 275Gr A-Frame that would probably do anything needed. If you can't kill something with that, then you need a bigger rifle than 35 Whelen.

So choose what you like, like what you choose, and have fun.
Relatively inexpensive Remington ammo for the .35 W.

Expat
I have both and enjoy reloading for both. Prefer the 338-06 for most of my hunting.

Also I believe Nosler Custom ammo is available in 200 accubomb for a fortune! But the box will come with your name on it!
Originally Posted by Nrut

Dawn2Dusk,

Cooper 52
...what does the 35 Whelen offer to the hunter over a 338-06...

Not enough to make me want one, especially since I currently have a 338-06.

Actually, when it was building time, my 'smith had a 35 Whelen reamer, so could've gone either way, but chose the 338-06. I just like it better. Others might see it differently.
Much prefer the higher BC of the 338-06 bullets. For the shorter ranges the 338 Fed/358Win would do everything just fine. But using that argument I should prefer the 30-06... who knows, I just like the 338-06.
If you run the 158 Hornady pistol bullets at 2400 fps they make a nice woodchuck gun. I've seen it done and they go up like a two stage rocket! grin
whelennut
Just asking, but how would the .338Fed rank in this .338-06, .35Whelen, and .358Win equation. I would not have rebarreled to .338-06 if the .338Fed or the .325WSM had been available at that time.
IMO the 308 is to the 30-06 like the 338 Federal is to the 338-06.
Or the 358 Winchester is to the 35 Whelen.
If I had it to do over I may have chosen the 338 Federal over the 35 Whelen because for black bear, deer, and moose it should be just peachy. I did read a lot of Elmer Keith books during the long cold winters though. grin
whelennut
nothing
Originally Posted by whelennut
IMO the 308 is to the 30-06 like the 338 Federal is to the 338-06.
Or the 358 Winchester is to the 35 Whelen.
If I had it to do over I may have chosen the 338 Federal over the 35 Whelen because for black bear, deer, and moose it should be just peachy. I did read a lot of Elmer Keith books during the long cold winters though. grin
whelennut

I currently have a .35 Whelen, a .356 Win, and a 9x57 Mauser in .358's, and used to own a .358 Win. I also have a .338 Fed and a .338 RCM. (Come to think of it, I think I have to build a .338-06...hmmm...) I think your comparison is exactly correct, and that for virtually any hunting it really doesn't matter which one you're shooting. There are plenty of bullets out there in .338 and .358 to get the job done very well, with any of them.

The real issue is -- there are some people who sort through something like this and select the one best cartridge; then there are those who work hard to have all of them laugh.

Your choice...

Dennis
In a .35 Whelen vs 338-06 comparison the winner is.....the one that's in the rifle you like the best. So regardless of which way you go, build the rifle to suit you and you'll be as happy with one as you will the other.

I went Whelen.... wink
is a 35 whelen/338-06 and a partner rifle in 375 H&H too close?
No!
I have a 35 Whelen and then bought a 375 H&H Magnum for my son if he should decide to hunt bears with me some day.
The .375 Magnum can easily be loaded down like a .375 Winchester if you want that. Makes a great deer rifle by the way.
whelennut
why no love for the .350 Rem Mag? Inquiring minds want to know... seems to me if you can't decide between the 35 Whelen and the 338-06, you just push it up a notch.
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
is a 35 whelen/338-06 and a partner rifle in 375 H&H too close?

No, not at all. It's like a good ball team. Competition for position brings out the best in each laugh
and they have 35 Whelen fodder I'd be willing to bet it's a pretty good store and a box of Weatherby 210 gr. Part. 338-06 could be dusted off too.

Akin to betting on the Lions to win the SB this year. grin

I'll take that bet.

Originally Posted by Dogger
why no love for the .350 Rem Mag? Inquiring minds want to know... seems to me if you can't decide between the 35 Whelen and the 338-06, you just push it up a notch.

What do you mean by "push it up a notch"? Because despite the deceptive and crappy belt on the case -- it won't produce any more velocity than the Whelen. And it has a belted case... It is shorter, though, so it does have that value. Though in that case going .338 RCM is a big imrovement over the .350 Remington.

Dennis
I would do a 35 RCM if they came out with one.
I sure would have bought one when I bought the .338 RCM...and would now if the circumstances were right.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
I shoot these varieties of .338 and prefer them in a right to left order- .338-08AI, 338-06, 338 Win Mag, and .338-378
Probably 6 of 1 and a half dozen of the other when you get right down to it. I'd always heard about the Whelen and when Remington legitimized the round I started thinking about getting one. Then, I got one on an Oberndorf Mauser custom job at an estate sale that fit me so well that it might as well have been made just for me and the prices was I felt very reasonable. As I only gave $900 for the gun and have been offered $3,000 for it, I'm happy and it ain't for sale.
Shortly after that I found a Ruger M77 in .35 Whelen and about a year later a Remington 700 Classic. The Ruger had avery nice piece of wood on it so I put the gun into a Ramline stock which has worked out quite well. I like the Whelen.
I suppose I could have one of my FN Mauser action rebarreled to 338-06 just to see what all the fuss is about just for splits and grins. Then again, why bother? Curiosity? Could be. I got a bunch of 225 gr. Hornady spire points in some kind of trade and I guess that would be a good enough excuse, like I really need one right? I'll think about it.
Paul B.

Not a damn thing.

Next question.....
I guess the 338-06 can go a little flatter, but the 325 can go a little flatter than the 338////

I will just use one of my three 35s... Thanks..
Originally Posted by aalf

Not a damn thing.

Next question.....

The .35 Whelen offers exactly the same thing over the .338-06 that the .338-06 offers over the .35 Whelen. And it's not very much at all. The .338 shoots lighter bullets a little better; the Whelen shoots heavier bullets a little better. It don't amount to much; either cartridge is very very useful in the real hunting world.

Dennis
When in doubt, get both.
Very balanced and effective on game .I had bullets on hand from the first 2 Whelens and missed them, so got my third .
I also had bullets on hand for the 338win so had to get a 338.06.
I'll be keeping them all.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I would do a 35 RCM if they came out with one.

I'd prefer my 35 Ruger the same length as the 375 (358 Nukalpiaq.)
Originally Posted by muledeer
Both the .35 Whelen and the .338-06 have major advantages over the .30-'06 and .300 magnums. There are no comparisons whatsoever, other than that they are one hell of a lot better hunting cartridges..

Was hoping you might elaborate?
They're bigger, heavier, and don't have belted cases. Pretty simple to me. Can't shoot 225-300 gr bullets very well in .30 calibers, either.

I just don't think .30 calibers match up to .33 and .35's. For most hunters in most circumstances, of course, it doesn't matter, because you don't need anything bigger than a .257-.308 diameter bullet anyway.

For me personally, if I want something bigger than a .284, then I want at least a .338 or .358, if not a .375 diameter bullet. Many others feel differently, of course, and I don't really care...it's all good shooting.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis.
muledeer, thanks for the feedback on the .350. I have never owned a belted case rifle, so have no dog in the belt/no-belt fight. I tend to gravitate towards whatever cartridge ain't winning the dance contest. Shucks, I even think the 6.5 Rem Mag and .350 Rem Mag would make an awesome centerfire two rifle battery for North America.
In point of fact, the 6.5 and .350 Remingtons, in the right rifles with enough barrels, would be a perfect pair. The fact that I personally dislike belted cases has literally nothing to do with how well they work; and I have never made the point to thaat effect. There are lots of things I don't like (Nosler Partitions come to mind grin) that other people succeed happily with, and that is just fine by me.

Key point is to use good stuff and have a good time. I kinda prefer your premise, and it works for me smile. (Favorites being .257 Roberts, .260 Rem; .280 Rem., and .35 Whelen...)

Dennis
© 24hourcampfire