Home
have a remington 700 sps stainless and when i chamber a round the brass ends up getting scratched up!! it looks like its the feed rails that hold the shells in the mag!! anyone else have this problem????
I have seen it.

-
problem?
no.
i didnt realize pretty brass was nessasary. I guess im gonna have to go thru my supplies and polish it all.

And here i was thinking that function was what i should be focusing on.
You can pollish the bottom edge of the feed rail. I had one rifle that actually cut deep lines in the first round, full mag.
My Kimber Montana did that at the beginning. Get in there and sand on the rails a tad to work that rough edge off.
Hi. First post here. I have a 700 ss sps in 7-08 that does the same. Going to try to polish the feed rails with a dremel tool tommorow. If it works out I'll let you know. Stan.
I've had a couple SPS SS that were like that. Nothing that 10 minutes and some fine-grit paper couldn't cure...
Blargon, took your advice and used some fine-grit paper. About 15 minutes and problem solved. Been meaning to fix this for 3 years, today was a good rainy day to get it done. Thanks!!
Glad you used the sandpaper. I've seen people get some strange results with a Dremel.
Yep. Afraid I might dig out a little too much metal with the dremel. Sandpaper did fine.
took your advice and sanded mine down and it seems to be fine now!!! Mines also a sps ss 7mm-08!! How do you find your shoot Stan??
Glad yours worked out too. The rifle shoots better than I do,been shooting 139 hornady btsp with h4350. Groups an inch or less some days. We have killed 4 deer with this load with good results.
You're welcome! wink
Thanks. Been lurking here for a while. Alaways good information and tips to help out.
It is not just Remingtons that do this. I bought a new Ruger Hawkeye in 338 Federal that wont feed reliably from the magazine.
The cartridges can tip down in front and hang up on the bottom of the feed ramp, or they tip down in the rear so the bolt can slide over them. If the latter happens they sometimes move forward enough to jam the whole works. Sometimes a round will jump out ahead of the bolt and not engage the extractor and the round will have to be shoved out of the chamber with a cleaning rod. The dummy rounds used are scarred up pretty bad.
I'm no expert but it looks like the magazine box is too narrow.
I was tempted to ship it to Craig Boddington to shoot a lion with but I shipped it back to Ruger instead. We'll see how thats out.
come
Bonaparte hopefully Ruger gets the problem fixed!! How do you find the 338Fed? the next rifle i get is gonna be in 338fed i think!
© 24hourcampfire