Home
I'm really wonting a new Number One in 7x57, but man the prices are rather steep...

A couple years back thay were easy to find for around $729.00 or so, you could even order them through Wally World.

I've got a ton of 7mm bullets to play with so the 7x57 is a no brainer.

Are the rifles that nice ?
Yup.
Yes.

Dennis
Seriously though. If you like the rifle and want one.....get it. Life is to short. The only way I would say hold off is if it was just a passing fancy, if you figure it will be lifetimer then the $ now will mean nothing 20+ years from now and you will have spent that time enjoying a beautiful rifle.
Another yes...

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Worth it and addictive. Love my 1A Roberts.
[Linked Image]
A couple more pics like those and I will definitely have to get one....
If I had more...you'd get them...

Lotsa 7x57 pics, but thats the only one of the Ruger I could find....

Ingwe
Wood to metal fit is not what it could be, and the trigger may be hit or miss. Still, I vote yes. The stock issue is usually some excess wood and one can clean that up with a little refinish. Triggers can be reworked or replaced. I'm fond of Kepplinger's single set.
When my nephews turned sixteen I gave each a deer rifle. The youngest got my Number One in 7x57 about a decade ago. I would miss it even more if he wasn't such a great kid. To help ease the pain I bought a K1-A in 7.62x39.
Yes, definitely, yes. Put a long tube 4x28 Leupold on it and you have a classic for sure.

I positively love this configuration; have a 30-06 and a .270 in the 1A, both shoot very well average just slightly over 1 MOA but their zeros never move. Have a 1S in 300 H&H and love it too. The small fore end is a dandy.
The #1A 7x57 model is no longer carried in the catalogue. Watch for the prices to skyrocket as demand outstrips availability. Get it now.

1B
I used to think so. Now a days not so much...
If there is a more beautiful production rifle out there I'm not aware of it.

Last one I had shot like $hit! I liked it so much I still hunted with though smile
Love my #1A in 7x57!

[Linked Image]
I like dat pic!

ingwe
[Linked Image]

I love mine. I have a 4x on it. I didn't like it nearly as much with a higher power scope in higher rings. It just didn't feel right. But now it at my 94 are my nicest feeling guns.
welcome to the club!
[Linked Image]
this #1A is in .270 with a 4X Burris compact.

I wish I had gotten a 7x57, and may yet, but the 1H in .450/.400 is on order due next week and the .300 H&H #1S is planned for later in the year smile

Poole
I lusted after a No1 in 7x57 a couple of years ago but Elvis beat me to it. Classic rifle in a classic calibre.
Since then I have got a 1B in .22-250 and a 1A in .270 and have placed an order for a 1S in .300H&H magnum.
Be careful, the bug bites deep.
I sold my 1A 243 years ago to finance another rifle (I really need to stop doing that). I finally had it shooting sub-moa with 85gr Sierra HPBT's and scoped with a Burris 3x9 Compact.

I loved it, should have chosen a 270 over a 243 but at this point I would be happy with another one in either caliber.

I would really like one in 338 Federal or 308 but I don't think it will happen.
No question - yes! Mine's a .30-06 but is one of my favorite rifles to carry in the field. If you like them, get one.
Are they not a bit heavy, gentlemen?
A #1-A is not heavy. It is a rifle which actually feels very good in the hands kind of reminiscent of a Model 94 Winchester IMV, though not that light. (The #1-Bs may feel a bit heavy however and I prefer the A and S versions.)

If you like nice rifles which feel good in the hands the A a a nice rifle to own. If you want it scoped, keep the scope svelte to retain their nice balance and you've got the makings of a fine partnership.
Yup, I think they worth it but the problem is finding one.
A No.1-B is heavy but it still feels good in my hands.

UUUUh, but No. 1-A feels dream in my hands.
I hope to get one in 460 S&W at some point this year.

I just recently jumped on the bandwagon and have a #1V 6mm Rem and a #1B .223. Mine are very accurate and I want more. maybe a 25-06 or a 22-250.....or.......

My 1A 7x57 and 1B .270 were from an estate sale, probably 20 years old now. They are very accurate, good triggers, and shoot factory ammo really well. I tend to use the sling with the four cartridge loops with one in the chamber. The 1A is lighter weight compared to the 1B.

Have cycled through a few other #1's over the years that just didn't grow on me, either looks, caliber or accuracy. Did have a 25-06 I sold in a weak moment that I truly regret.

Working on a .338wm 1B now (replaced the recoil pad with a pachmyer, the Rugers are pavement like). And have a .243 1A that my kids like to use on whitetail.

Of the group, the 7x57 gets the most woods time and the .270 reaches across the fields for long shots at whitetails. Other than smoothing out the forend for a bit let contact and adding a stainless washer between the frame and forend, they shoot well. Sometimes you get one that just vertical strings 3 - 4 shots no matter what you do.

I like them.
Regarding a Ruger #1A in 7x57, not only would I say yes but HELL YES!. grin I have #1 A's,B,s, V's H's and even a a few S's and to be honest, it's the A's and S's that really trip my trigger.
With that said, for me anyway, the best feeling and handling of the bunch is my #1A in 7x57. In second place is the #1S in .300 Win. mag. Naturally, YMMV.
Paul B.
One of the gun magazines just compared the price of a Ruger #1 at $750 - $1,000 as a great value for a single shot rifle compared to what other single shot rifles and custom rifles go for.
[Linked Image]

My #1 30-06
They're worth it, IMO. I stick with 1A, 1H, and 1S's, as I prefer the Henry forearm, and irons.

Jeff
Originally Posted by akjeff
They're worth it, IMO. I stick with 1A, 1H, and 1S's, as I prefer the Henry forearm, and irons.

Jeff

Exactamundo! grin

My man!!!.......

Sexiest factory rifles ever....

Ingwe
What I like about them is the schlick-schlick noise and the feel of precision when you cycle the action, and then the nice tight groups I get with my #1H in 405WCF. Very good quality.
How you likin' that .405???

I never shot one in a #1..but a .405 in a Win 95 kicks the krapp out of me!! shocked

Ingwe
ingwe, I have both and know what you mean about the 95. The #1 is a whole different cat. It's a pleasure to shoot compared to the 95. Mine is very accurate as well, especially with the Barnes 300 gr. and a bit of IMR 4895.
I figured it was...the drop at the comb on a 95 is a BUNCH more than on the #1...I thought the #1 a better stock design for recoil...
Thanks!

ingwe
Yes, I won't give up my medium sporter in the 45-70 caliber! The rifle a lot of fun to shoot. It's a one shot one kill rifle.
Yes, yes, and YES.

My sons and I have 1As in .243Win, 7x57, and .30-06, and 1Ss in .300WinMag and .300H&H. Every one of them will shoot MOA with at least one load.

We have a few 1Bs also, but usually the A and S go hunting while the others sit in the safe.
I like 'em in lots of calibers/configurations....., here's a couple of my 7x57's, first is a #1-AB 7x57 wearing an older Weaver 2-7, second is the RSI 7x57 with the 2-7 VX-II.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Ruger's only current #1 7x57 offering is the International. That's the full-stocked 20" barreled rifle. Not a bad choice, but I don't know why they discontinued the #1A in that chambering. About a month ago, I got lucky and found a #1A 7x57 at Bill Hicks in Minneapolis (wholesaler), but sold it to a friend who had been looking for one for a long time. Since then, I've asked other distributors and there are "NONE" out there. Bad move on my part. I did find a #1A .30-06 with killer wood on the butt-stock. It also has a very good 3# trigger. It was on closeout and I got it for $650.

Ruger's current #1A offerings are .243, .270 and the "immensely popular" .300 RSM.
Ruger has cut way back on their #1 chamberings. At one time not too long ago, they chambered the #1B in just about everything. It was a heavy rifle (relatively speaking), but those I had shot very well and usually had much better wood than the 77's.

My next #1 will be a 1S in .300 H&H.
This is what its all about, good rifle, good hunting and good times in the bush.
Nice pronghorn. Well done.

cheers
The March issue of Guns Magazine article p.46-49 Just One Single-Shot Hunting Rifles. Great article.

Originally Posted by chrome
I'm really wonting a new Number One in 7x57, but man the prices are rather steep...

A couple years back thay were easy to find for around $729.00 or so, you could even order them through Wally World.

I've got a ton of 7mm bullets to play with so the 7x57 is a no brainer.

Are the rifles that nice ?
There are plenty of reasonably-priced 7x57 No. 1s out there; you have to be patient unless you're willing to drop $1K or more. There have been two or three 7x57 No. 1s sold on the classifieds here within the past eighteen months or so for under $800. I picked up a NIB RSI in 7x57 back in June for a cool $775 with shipping and transfer fee. (FYI, that's the most I've ever spent on a No. 1.) Two years prior to that, I picked up a used 1A in 7x57 with a 1x4 Leupold Vari-XIIc, sling, original box and manual, 200 rounds of assorted brass, a set of dies, and shipping for the princely sum of $700 with shipping. (And yes, there were scalpers willing to hack people for $1K for a plain vanilla 1A 7x57 in 2007 just as there are now.) I managed to sell off the scope for $200 and the brass and dies for $50, leaving me with about $450 in the rifle and sling.

If you want one BAD, you'll likely pay too much. Play your cards right and you'll get into one for not too terribly much.
May be its time to let "Lipseys" know that the Ruger #1-A in 7X57 would be a successful offering...in blue only.

Doc
If you want one then get it soon as it is no longer listed on Ruger's website. I love mine and carry it a lot.

Attached picture DSCF2630ss.JPG
I explained to my son that the Ruger #1 is not as accurate as a bolt rifle. As usual, he bought one in .270, anyway. It will shoot several different factory loads inside of an inch, all day long. I now own one in .270WBY, but I haven't shot it cause it's so purty. I will take it out this spring. Good luck.
hell no they are not worth the $$...you will buy one, and then another, and then another...best thing to do is never start!!

Dave
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by akjeff

Jeff

Exactamundo! grin

My man!!!.......

Sexiest factory rifles ever....

Ingwe

They really are. I'm going nuts waiting for a .450/400 to get here! Trying to fight the urge to locate a new .300 H&H....what a rifle!

Jeff
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
hell no they are not worth the $$...you will buy one, and then another, and then another...best thing to do is never start!!

Dave

You do have a point there, Dave! grin

They're the crack of centerfire rifles!

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire