Home
Posted By: ACLakey Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/06/10
I have been thinking about buying another 30-06 that is stainless and rugged. Some of the newer Winchesters that I have shot latley have impressed me with both the trigger and accuracy. Has anybody had expereince with the new Model 70 Extreme Weather SS yet? It seems to have quite a few additions out of the box. How does it compair to the Kimber Montana other than weight? Thanks for the info.
A gentleman at my local gun store had just purchased the exact rifle you are asking about....he let me handle it and it seems well build and finish was also very good on the one he purchased,much better than the last crap Winchester was putting out before the ceased operations...can't know how it will shoot
I have a 270 and really like it. It shoots extremely well. I have not had a single issue with it and I have been shooting it a lot over the last year. My only complaint is that the stock is a little clunky which it were more like a TI but other than that it shoots better than I can. I carried it with me all last fall in bad weather and never had a spec of rust or any issues with the finish. My rifle has a very smooth action.
Posted By: CP Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/06/10
The way I am going to approach putting up a lightweight FN stainless 70 is to buy the SS/Walnut version. It has the non-fluted featherweight barrel contour, and by dropping it in a McMillan Edge, it should be in the same weight game as the new Kimber 84L. I don�t care for fluted barrels or the B&C stocks on the Extreme Weather, and I remain unsure about Kimber�s QC, so this is my new formula for the triangle. CP.
Posted By: iddave Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/06/10
I like the way you think CP. I'm wondering if it will really be as light as you think though. What is your estimated wieght of that build?

Dave
Posted By: CP Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/06/10
I have a Classic SS/Walnut .30-06 featherweight that tips the scales (rifle only) at 6 lbs 12 oz. I am betting that adding a McMillan Edge, Tally one piece mounts and a 12 oz scope, that I�ll be going down the trail with a 06 at around 7 lbs 6 oz. or so. CP.
Stainless rifle that's rugged? Get a Ruger M77 MK II and find a boat paddle stock. The M77 trigger is an easy fix and has less parts than a M 70. I have a stainless M70 and M77 MK II. The M 70 is smoother but IMHO not as rugged. If I was buying a rifle today it would be a M77 stainless Hawkeye with the laminated stock.
Posted By: crf375 Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/06/10
I will pick mine up from Cabelas as soon as my bonus check arrives.
It is a 30-06.
I am planning on a Redfield 3x9x40.
I'll tell it like it is when i get out with it.
Posted By: spr1 Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/07/10
I just looked at the Win website. It looks like the '06 now comes with a 24" barrel...... even more interesting to me....
Posted By: crf375 Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/09/10
It says 22 on the website, and I believe it is 22.
I'll measure it when I pick it up.
It's on lay away at Cabelas and I cant pick it up until my bonus check arrives.
I will measure it when I do, and I will let you all know.
Terry.
Posted By: JRC280 Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/10/10
I have the exact rifle / caliber that you have asked about. Not very picky about the ammo I feed it. Have owned some Kimber Montanas and the stock on the Montanas are slimmer than the Winchester. I personally like the Winchester better.
Last I saw it said 24", looks like they finally updated their specs
Posted By: Karnis Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/10/10
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
Last I saw it said 24", looks like they finally updated their specs

It did say 24" .

Yes, it did.

It is really 22" though.
Posted By: rembo Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/10/10
Website says 24"...I just traded a NIB 270 EW that was 22".....I think the website has a typo.....
That's the medalist B&C stock on that rifle isn't it, I had one on my CZ once...

Pretty cool, too bad I've already got a 30-06, I saw one of those all weathers in Cabelas. Pretty nice rig.

Spot
I want one in 7mm rem mag.
Originally Posted by rembo
Website says 24"...I just traded a NIB 270 EW that was 22".....I think the website has a typo.....

Wedbsite is saying 22" and 24" for Sporter and Super Grade

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535110

They had a super grade for 2,300 ! Wholly CRAP.
I have an EW in 300 WSM.After 30-40 rounds of factory Fusions, it took one range trip to "find" a good load;66-H4350-165 shoots very well.

No issues with it whatsoever.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/10/10
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Cabelas is selling the supergrade for a clean 1000
Finally got to fondle a couple of these at Cabela's today. They had 30-06 and a 300wsm. The '06 did have a 22" barrel. Both these rifles I felt were very front end heavy and didn't seem to balance well at all. Kinda different the fluting only going to the forend of the stock. Different, but I liked that, not so much the unbalanced feel. Gotta think a 26" tube would be worse yet. Was really hoping to get back into the Winchester business, not with this rifle.
Put a scope on it and shoot it; your opinion will likely change.I felt the same way until I got one and actually shot it instead of speculating..... It is a nicely balanced rifle that shoots well.

Recoil and handling are nicely managed.

You cannot tell jack about it in a store....JMHO.
Dan will have one soon I am thinking he will give us his opinion. I like mine.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/10/10
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Put a scope on it and shoot it; your opinion will likely change.I felt the same way until I got one and actually shot it instead of speculating..... It is a nicely balanced rifle that shoots well.

Recoil and handling are nicely managed.

You cannot tell jack about it in a store....JMHO.

I'd certainly go with that endorsement. Pizzes me that they don't have a FWT contour in standard cartridges. Whaddup with that?
Posted By: bludog Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/11/10
I have the exact rifle as Bob, 300 wsm in EWS, I have only gotten a chance to shoot 12 rounds of factory ammo through it so far, but the last 6 went into about a 1.5" group. The trigger is the best I've ever had or shot. And I agree with Bob, mine has Talleys and a 2.5-8 Leupie and it balances quite well IMO. I have handloads waiting to go, but have not had an opportunity to try them out due to work and weather. Good rifle.
Thanks for the replies so far.
Bob,

Can you mik the muzzle of your short mag? Wondering what size the barrel is.

I've got to do a bit of speculating and try to tell jack about it in the store.

just my humble bank account...
Do like the stock, a bit thicker than a Ti, but nice just the same.
Ok, thoughts on the Ruger Hawkeye Sporter

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wsmnut Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/11/10
I have one in 325 wsm. I love the feel and balance. I mounted a Leupold VXIII 2.5 x 8. So far it is showing great promise as I work up loads using the 180 TSX.
bludog, it took about 30-40 rounds for my barrel to settle in;first groups were about like yours....

muleshoe mine mikes .6025 at the muzzle.....of course you can evaluate it in the store, but what I was trying to say is I did not like them at first either; but a buddy got a FW in 300 WSM that shot well...it made me think and I started looking closer at the EW;finally I figured this will not resolve until I buy and shoot the damn thing........the more I handled it and shoot it,the better I like it.... smile

I am not a real WSM fan,but have to admit this rifle nicely manages weight and balance in a powerful cartridge that,to me, recoils less than the bigger 30's; it is not too light...nor is it too heavy.......it is very "shootable" and accurate.

No the stock is not a McMillan;but it really is not bad at all,far ahead of New Haven Tupperware......and I keep reminding myself the rifle is under a grand,which is substantial dough,but a McMillan installed costs almost that much......
Posted By: bludog Re: Model 70 Extreme Weather SS - 02/11/10
Bob, if I can consistently get 6 in the same 1.5" group, I am a happy, confident, hunter. I do think she'll do better and I look forward to wringin' her out. This one seems like it's going to not be very finicky in my brief experience to date. And I do agree with you, and your comments above the more I handle and shoot this gun, the higher my opinion gets on it. I personally don't like a wsm too light, this one seems to be just right. I guess time will tell.
Well, you fellas better not go and play with the same rifle in .308! 'Cause you'll have two then!! wink
300WSM that shoots accurately...How did you get that lucky ? grin everyone says they don't shoot.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
300WSM that shoots accurately...How did you get that lucky ? grin everyone says they don't shoot.

Hey! I thought that was a 260 Rem. made by Kimber? grin
oldelk: I dunno how it happened! grin

bludog/OCC: Yes the silly things sorta grow on you...I like it because it does not recoil hard;it's a comfortable rifle to shoot....sure you guys have noticed the same thing.It has enough weight to shoot comfortably,but is still very portable.
bludog,I sorta listened to Sam and Brad on here,looked at a couple of manuals and fed it 66-H4350-165 Sierra SPBT's...it drills that load.I have not yet clocked it,but have fired 2 groups at 300 yards that went 2.5 and 1.5 inches... eek
Originally Posted by Dan360
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Cabelas is selling the supergrade for a clean 1000

Must have been a custom shop super grade....

Yoowich.
A 325 WSM would be cool, even a 9.3x62 but a good old 30-06 is darn hard to beat.

The only think I wish my Sako 85 had is the claw, with the sako if you half cycle they can loose hold.
Nice shooting
AC-
I saw one in Ken's in Gilchrist a couple months ago, IIRC in 300 WM. Being a fan of the Ti stock it appealed to me if I was going to add a magnum to the inventory. Not so much in the smaller cartridges, for those I do Ti stocked Rem Mtn rifles.
© 24hourcampfire