Home
Posted By: Dan360 Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Have you ever bought something and thought about how you might have F-ed up?

I'm totally into blued steel and walnut stocks. I've also been more in favor of Remington M700s lately than Winchester M70s because of the accuracy I've been getting out of the 700 and the lack there-of from the M70s.

Well, I went away from my taste for blued steel and wood. I also went away from my recent preference for the M700.

I picked up an M70 Extreme Weather in 308 Winchester. I haven't even fired it yet and I'm wishing I either got an M70 Featherweight in 270 or another Remington M700. Its just that I've been hearing so much good stuff about the new M70s and I felt like I NEEDED a stainless/fiberglass rifle for the nasty weather up here........

So, now what?
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I think you done good....But I'll be the first to tell you.

Shoulda got 7-08 grin
Posted By: avagadro Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Originally Posted by Dan360
So, now what?

Ship it over to Richland with a few hundred rounds .... Daveh and I will let you know if a few months ... may take through next hunting season to form a sound opinion.
smile
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10

Only way to find out is to shoot it, if you brought it home then your not gett'n all your money back.
Posted By: Odessa Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
So, now what?

Put a scope on it, zero it, hunt with it.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
A couple things for sure.....it'll shoot.

And the only way around the SS/Synthetic vs wood/blue conundrum is to own both.

I'd a bought a 270 but that's just me smile
Posted By: POPBEAR Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
If it shoots good, it may grow on you. Good luck.
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
You did the right thing buying a synthetic stocked rifle. You have many good looking walnut stocked rifles owning one that isn't is not that big a deal. Don't let your emotions rule logic. There ARE times a synthetic stocked rifle should be used on a hunt. So it doesn't appeal to you on an asthetic level, on a functional level it should. Shoot it and save it for those special situations.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I'd see a shrink if that gives you such grief.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Sounds like you've lost all reason for why you purchased this rifle. Bad weather !!!! Scope it, sight it in and it'll be ready for when you need it. Just like when someone buys a truck gun. It's going to get beat to chit but they don't care because they intended it that way.

Ken
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I think you guys are right. I've talked about needing a beater for a while. This will be my beater. I mounted a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 on it. It balances well. Its ugly, but it balances well.
Posted By: stillbeeman Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Maybe it's like dating a ugly, fat girl. She does everything you want her to do but you still hate to be seen with her.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Never considered hunting a fashion statement.
Posted By: FyrepowrX Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
betting the first time you are hunting & the sleet & freezing rain starts, or you scratch the crap out of it, you'll appreciate it a lot. i like pretty guns...borderline obsessed with them...but i sure being able to hunt with one i dont have to worry about too.

Posted By: Bulletbutt Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I love your avatar!
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I have a couple of impulse buys that give me buyer's remorse now. At some point, I will get around to selling them.
Posted By: CLB Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
No such thing as buyers remorse IMO. This rifle was trapped inside your brain waiting to escape. Otherwise, you wold have bought a SS model 7 in 300 SAUM...all you need to do now is saddle up a scope, get some loads and have at it.

Like most Winchesters, this one will not disappoint.

CLB
Posted By: cal74 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
I had one buyers remorse rifle a little more than a year ago. A Remington CDL Limited .17 Fireball, got it for a pretty decent price but regretted it from day one.

Held onto it for about six months and traded out of it, came out maybe just a tad behind but for the last few months I've been regretting getting rid of it.
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
It's seller's remorse that I hate, especially when I sell it to a friend and he never lets me forget what a great gun it is, now that he owns it.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
"good deal" and "oldman1942" seem like mutually exclusive terms.

Jeff
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
My only true case of "buyers remorse" also involved a .17 caliber.....mine was a .17 Remington. I just had to have one because of that 4000 fps velosity (and I hadn't ever owned anything in .17). Once it was in my hands I wondered from day one....Why???

It was too light buck the wind well at long range and didn't hit hard enough to take on game bigger than maybe a coyote (and I only felt comfortable with coyote size game at maybe 300 yards because of the small caliber/light bullet). It fouled the barrel quickly and was super sensative to reload. In truth, while it "could" be used.....it was actually "good" for nothing except bragging rights because I had a .17 It soon went away in a trade.

I did however have a number of times I regretted certain trades I made and wished I could undo them.
Posted By: JRaw Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/22/10
Heck yeah, buyer's remorse is easily solvable. Seller's remorse is another ball of wax!
Posted By: downwindtracker2 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
I am of the walnut and blued steel sect,but a stainless and western big leaf maple is as good looking. While the maple is more stable than black walnut,if you were to do a 7 slab lamination ,it would be both beautiful and weatherproof.
Posted By: DonkeyKong Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
My first wife...
Posted By: ehunter Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
Dan what can I say.... whistle crazy eek grin

I was with him he didn't seem too remorseful at the time... smirk
we spent some time looking it was more than a few hours.. grin

Plus its blasphemy talking about a Winchester as an old beater.. grin
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
Seems like Jeffie is a bitter brat because he a'int got them, can't afford them and is probably 15 years old.

Maybe he'll supply us his Ebay and gunbroker user names so we can check out his feedback on his numerous buys and sells?(LAFFIN)
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
Unlike you, I use 260remguy on ebay and the gun auctions, as it is far easier to remember who you are when you're not lying all of the time and having to have multiple handles to keep people from tracking your negative feedback.

Jeff
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
i'd sell it. then get something you can look at (and handle) that doesn't bring about feelings of regret.
Posted By: stumpy Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
Nice scope for a beater.

If it shoots well, keep it and use it. If not, there is someone else that loves that combo! Don't sweat the small stuff.

stumpy

Posted By: Tracks Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/23/10
I had remorse over the one and only Model 70 I ever bought.
Eleven hundred dollars more out of my pocket for a new stock, barrel, single pointing, and finishing the piss poor machine work on the bolt got it shooting good, but I learned my lesson. I'll never own another Winchester.
Posted By: Duc1198 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/24/10
Lets see some pics. And I wouldn't say there is remorse unless it doesn't shoot, but thats just me. Just having a 700 XCR and now having the EW M70, I like the Winny much better.

When are you taking it to the range?
Posted By: GA270 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/24/10
You can't go wrong with that gun. Great gun and a great caliber. I'm getting one in .270 as soon as finances allow. That synthetic stock will be a great asset on a bad-weather day. OK, that's enough "greats". But you could have done waaay worse. Absolutely nothing to regret.
Posted By: Dan360 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/24/10
Originally Posted by Tony270WSM
Lets see some pics. And I wouldn't say there is remorse unless it doesn't shoot, but thats just me. Just having a 700 XCR and now having the EW M70, I like the Winny much better.

When are you taking it to the range?

Ha, its just like yours with 2 inches less barrel. Same scope mounts that were on the rifle when you got it. Pretty much the same scope, just a VX-3 3.5-10x40.
Mine now has Talleys and is waiting to get the same scope as yours, just with the CDS. When are you going to get it to a range?
If ya don't like it I'll give you $300 for it smile
Posted By: OldCenterChurch Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/24/10
Man-up, Danny boy! wink That's a smart rifle set-up for a smart round! Smart is as smart does! You done good fella!!
Posted By: Duc1198 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/26/10
So how does the 308 stock compare to the WSM stock? Same or different stocks?
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/26/10
FWIW, I really like the looks and feel of the Extreme Weather. I'd like one in either 270 Win or 7mm RM.
Posted By: Duc1198 Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/26/10
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/26/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never considered hunting a fashion statement.

Is that why your McMillans are all flat black?confused

Sycamore
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Buyer's Remorse - 02/26/10
Originally Posted by Dan360

So, now what?

Nothing! Just keep it, eventually your mood will revolve around to "needing" a stainless again, and it will be right there.
© 24hourcampfire