Home
Posted By: NH K9 J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
Anybody have experience with 'em.

His work on 7600s and 99s have me thinking, but would love to hear from those with actual experience.

George
Posted By: accrash Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
I have a 7600 he rebored and rechambered from 30.06 to 35 whelen. It looks good to the naked eye and it shoots very well with 225gr. accubonds. The price is right, on his work, too. I'm very happy with his work. In fact, I'm getting ready to send another one to him to convert to 338-06.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
The 7600 '06 to Whelen is one of my current thoughts. Thanks for the info.

George
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
Weagle has had at least 1, maybe more, Marlins rebored/rechambered from 30-30 to 375 and reported good things about Jessie O's work, price, and speed.

I talked to Mr. O about having a Savage 99 in 300 Savage rebored/rechambered to 338 Fed, but he told me that he had done a couple and the guys were having high pressure issues with factory ammo. I can't bring myself to sell a firearm that might not be safe with factory ammo, so I decided to punt on the 99F in 338 Fed project.

Jeff
Posted By: NH K9 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
Thanks Jeff.

I found a "bubba" 99 in .308 and thought about a .358 rebore/rechamber. I'm just a po' public servant and can't justify the scratch to pick up an original. The idea of a 7600 in Whelen has always been a want of mine, though.

So many projects, so little time (and money).

George
My brother bought a Mauser sporter that had been rebored from 30-06 to 35 whelen by JES. It was well done, and shot very well right off the bat.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/09/10
Originally Posted by NH K9
Thanks Jeff.

I found a "bubba" 99 in .308 and thought about a .358 rebore/rechamber.
George

Somehow I knew that wink
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
I never found the Savage 99F and 358 combo to be pleasant to shoot, more of a teeth rattler! But if I lived in moose country, I think that a 99 in 358 would be a logical choice.

Jeff
Posted By: NH K9 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
Jeff,

Not that I ever figure I'll draw in NH, but a 99 in .358 would be an appropriate choice. I'm thinking the one I found was an "E".

Yeah, Marc, I know. I missed that BLR in the classifieds and could get one in, but thought about this route. Still not sure.

George
Posted By: MagMarc Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
George I have a 99E and thought about it a bunch. Guess I'm glad I went BLR on the 358.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
can you make a remmy bolt '06 into a 9.3/62??
Posted By: Steelhead Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
Why not.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
just didn't know if there was enough thickness in the barrel.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 03/10/10
Not a mountain rifle contour but a sporter counter should be fine.
Posted By: jlamb Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/04/13
I'm looking to have a standard Winchester M70 25-06 rebored into a .338-06. This should work right?
Posted By: mart Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/04/13
JES just did a Sedgley Springfield from 30-06 to 375 Whelen for me. Fast turn around, ten days. It's headed to the range tomorrow for it's first trip. I have a couple more projects for him as finances allow.

Mart
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/04/13
Originally Posted by jlamb
I'm looking to have a standard Winchester M70 25-06 rebored into a .338-06. This should work right?

I would think so. Winchester uses the same contour on the 25-06 as the 338 win mag so the barrel should have enough meat for the 338 bore.
Posted By: Firemann Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/04/13
Yep JES rebored a old Win pre 64 m-70 06 to a 338-06, fast turn around time and that rifle shoots more accurately now than before. Its heading to colorado end of month for a late cow hunt, can't wait.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/04/13
George. He rebored a bubba'd mauser for me from 30-06 to 9.3x62. Turn around was about 3 weeks. And about 240.00 with shipping
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/05/13
He rebored a .308 barrel to .358 for me many years ago. I didn't install it but heard good things from the guy I traded it to. The turn around time on the rebore was crazy fast and he was great to deal with...told him the caliber and twist I wanted and a great looking barrel came back.
Posted By: rost495 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/05/13
For 240 its a rebore only, not rechambered? Accuracy 3/4 MOA or about?

Thanks, Jeff
Posted By: Grunt_0351 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/05/13
Several of my friends have had it done on another forum. 30-06 to Whelen, 338 Win to 358 Norma, and 338 Win to 35 Newton.

All have been impressed with everything so far and one guy has taken a SC buck with his, and the 358 Norma took a moose in New Brunswick. Both are SHOOTERS
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/05/13
Originally Posted by rost495

Thanks, Jeff

No. Full tilt. Its been a few years but im pretty sure that was the ball park price
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/06/13
How does he mark the cartridge on the barrel?
Got any pics?
yes he does great work and will turn around fast
Posted By: deflave Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/10/13
Originally Posted by hunterjrg
Got any pics?

Out with the old.
[Linked Image]

In with the new.
[Linked Image]

Travis
Originally Posted by rost495

Thanks, Jeff

The whole enchilada.

Travis
Originally Posted by NH K9
Anybody have experience with 'em.

His work on 7600s and 99s have me thinking, but would love to hear from those with actual experience.

George

He's great.

Now delete this thread before his lead times becomes 90 days.

[bleep]' [bleep].

Travis
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/10/13
I'm thinking my 308 is becoming a 338 Fed. No real reason for it, just cause...
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
Originally Posted by deflave
Got any pics?

Out with the old.
[Linked Image]

In with the new.
[Linked Image]

Travis

That's what I was afraid of.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
WTF do you want?
Posted By: NH K9 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
Damnable blast from the past!

I made life easy and scooped an almost like new (I'm prone to [bleep] stocks/finishes up anyway) 7600 in Whelen from a smoke-eater int AO. Four rounds missing from the original box of Core-Lokts. Much less fuss......
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
You sir, are a dirty dog.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
But many congratulations, nonetheless.
smile
Posted By: mathman Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
Originally Posted by Steelhead
WTF do you want?

I suppose a flat could be milled to remove the original designation, and the new cartridge name stamped thereon. But I doubt that would come in under the $240 mentioned earlier.
Posted By: old_willys Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
JES was one of the only shops that would do a SAKO barrel (charged an extra $40), he rebored\rechambered a Tikka T3 .270 win to 35 Whelen. It is more accurate now than when new!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
And he can reblue/cerakote whilst at it.
Posted By: mathman Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
Gold inlay cartridge designation too?
Posted By: deflave Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13

I think Brownells sells a vaginal detachment. I believe it is listed under "Wisconsin opener essentials."

Hope this helps.

Travis
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
No need to curse at me or throw insults. I would prefer not to see XXX on my barrel and would have no problem paying for it. I never indicated his reboring work was subpar.
Milling a flat and refinishing would have been an intelligent reply.

Steelhead this is the second time you replied to a post of mine with an insult.
Posted By: deflave Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/11/13
GFY?

Travis
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/12/13
GFY?

Travis

Likewise
Posted By: Steelhead Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/12/13
No need to curse at me or throw insults. I would prefer not to see XXX on my barrel and would have no problem paying for it. I never indicated his reboring work was subpar.
Milling a flat and refinishing would have been an intelligent reply.

Steelhead this is the second time you replied to a post of mine with an insult.

That should be a hint for you.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/14/13
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
can you make a remmy bolt '06 into a 9.3/62??

Sure can. JES has done a couple for me - Rm 700 and an Interarms Mark X. Never got a chance to shoot the Rem myself, but the Mark X sure does shoot well.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/14/13
Got any pics?

Out with the old.
[Linked Image]

In with the new.
[Linked Image]

Travis

When I had my rifles rebored (30-06 to 9.3x62) I asked JES not to mark the caliber in a visible area and not to XXX out the old caliber. I explained that my intention was to use an end mill and mill out the old markings and engrave/stamp the new caliber in the mill cut. They gladly complied, and marked (stamped) the caliber on the underside of the shank.

Here's a view of the mill cut and caliber marking on the Mark X.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weagle Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/14/13
JES rebored a 30tk from 30-30 to .375 win for me a few years ago. It shoots great.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hook Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/17/13
Yep, I had him rebore a beat up old M36 Marlin from 30-30 to 38-55 for me. It is phenomenally accurate. Turn around was only a couple of weeks.
Posted By: hunterjrg Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/17/13
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Got any pics?

Out with the old.
[Linked Image]

In with the new.
[Linked Image]

Travis

When I had my rifles rebored (30-06 to 9.3x62) I asked JES not to mark the caliber in a visible area and not to XXX out the old caliber. I explained that my intention was to use an end mill and mill out the old markings and engrave/stamp the new caliber in the mill cut. They gladly complied, and marked (stamped) the caliber on the underside of the shank.

[Linked Image]

Wifowler that looks great. So are you the one who milled your barrel and marked it? If not who did it?
Again looks great to me and thanks for the pic
Posted By: WiFowler Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/17/13

[Linked Image]
Wifowler that looks great. So are you the one who milled your barrel and marked it? If not who did it?
Again looks great to me and thanks for the pic

I'd love to take credit for the mill cut and marking, but in fact I had a gentleman (gunsmith) that I've used from time to time do it. It was done all in one setup on a mini-CNC.

PM if you'd like names and numbers.
Posted By: beretzs Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/17/13
I had a Model 70 Classic Stainless 338 Win Mag turned into a 35 Newton. JES did a great job. Job was done in under two weeks and everything looks great to me. I don't have an accuracy report just yet, but just as soon as I can, I will have some initial results to post up. I'd use them again..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Otter6 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/17/13
Looking forward to the run down on the 35 Newton. Pretty cool round.
Posted By: beretzs Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/18/13
Same here. Can't wait to ring it out a little..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/18/13
Ring it out some for me too. Don't forget to post some pics...
Will do. Got plenty of time to work with this one. Going to break my Pre64 down and pillar it, got a crack it's had since I've owned it and wanna try to prevent it going any further. It'll probably get another coat of oil once it's all done too. There are a few thin spots in the finish after hunting it the past few years.

Doing all that will give me plenty of time to focus on the Newton. If it runs well, it'll pull first string for elk next Fall.
Picture of a .35 Newton round please!!!

Mike
Mike, I don't have one on my phone, but I'll get one up tomorrow. Think 375 Ruger with the shoulder pushed back some with a longer neck. It's a pretty cool looking round though.
Aw I apologize for being lazy and not going googling!

Sounds like it should be a big game stomper..

Mike
Mike, here are a couple of pictures.

35 Newton with RL17/225 Sierra GK's for initial run in.

[Linked Image]

35 Newton next to a Whelen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Thanks!

That ought to do just about everything.

Mike
I think so. Really thinking it should be a great elk rifle. As long as it shoots, which I have no doubt it will, it might be a favorite. I love them big bullets moving along at a decent clip.
Posted By: Otter6 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 11/18/13
Now that's a bunch of cool factor.
Posted By: beretzs Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
Anymore JES rebore happening around here. I keep looking for a recent to not make a 9.3x62 or 400 Whelen.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
Scotty, it seems to be kind of quiet as of late. I'm thinking I'm going to have to just give in to temptation and have my classic sporter 30-06 re-bored to 9.3x62mm. I love that cartridge. I'll do it one of these day!! Hey, have a merry Christmas buddy..
Posted By: prairie_goat Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
I just talked to Jesse on the phone this morning about a rebore. Seemed very pleasant, and was more than willing to answer my questions. Said turn-around time was about a week.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
A week?! That's great for a rebore job, especially of JES quality.
Posted By: pacecars Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
I sent an 8x57 Brno to him for rebore and chamber to 9.3x62. Came back in less than a week. Excellent work
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/24/14
I had a 270 bored out to 338-06 last month by JES. Super fast turn around and it shoots great. After this I can say this won't be my last rebore done by him.
Posted By: Josh Sorensen Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
I recently had a savage 99 E 308 bored out to 358 winchester. Turn around time was 11 days from shipped to received. Quality was excellent, fit and finish was great. The rifle functions and shoots very well. I would have another one done in a heartbeat.

I�ve actually been keeping my eyes peeled for a model 94 winchester with a crappy bore to have bored out to 35/30 win.
Posted By: 4ager Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
So, does he have to take the barrel off to rebore?
Posted By: waterrat Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
I sent in my 30 Gibbs a bit ago,it came back as a 35 Gibbs real fast. He shot it and sent a case and an informative note. I'm very happy and impressed with JES!

I just built a small wooden crate and sent the barrelled action.

Jim
Posted By: T Bone Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
Originally Posted by 4ager
So, does he have to take the barrel off to rebore?

yes.

Prior to removing barrel, he witness marks with a small punch. After reboring/chambering the witness marks are lined up again.

JES punched out my Rem 721 to 9.3x62. It's a shooter.
Posted By: rost495 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
had one from 06 to 338-06 last year.

Shoots well enough. Fouls with Barnes bullets. Thats the only bullet I"ll shoot.

I really need to call him and see if we can send back and pay him to lap the hell out of it.

I've done all I can without pouring a lap in the barrel to lap.

But for the cost it was worth the effort.

If I wanted top notch accurayc, I'd rebarrel.
Posted By: saj Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
Just sent Jess a 99 f to rebore to 358 win
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
Want to send a 30/06 to 'em for a 9.3x62 this year hopefully...
Posted By: WiFowler Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
Got any pics?

Out with the old.
[Linked Image]

In with the new.
[Linked Image]

Travis

I've had 3 rebores done by JES. I asked that he mark the underside of the barrel with the new caliber, etc., and NOT mark out the old caliber markings. In turn, I took the rebored barreled action and milled off the old caliber marking and had a local guy engrave the new caliber in the mill cut.

On one rebore, I did all of the above before sending it to JES.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/25/14
The best thing to have ever happened to a 25-06 is to become a 9.3x62. You're a good man Deflave.

In my experience (going on five rifles now between me and my friends) JES rebores produce rifles which are wonderfully accurate.
Posted By: Ward Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/26/14
Local shop has a bunch of .411 300 grain bullets and I have a .35 Whelen with a barrel that's too heavy and doesn't shoot that well. I'm thinking this'll get to grow up to become a .400 Whelen and an old Marlin just might get a bigger hole in the barrel too thanks to JES.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 12/26/14
Eldest son just got his Whitworth Express back last week. 30/06 to .35 Whelen. He loves it! It appears to be a shooter!
Posted By: beretzs Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/07/15
I am about to send him another rifle to be rechambered. He will also rechamber pretty quickly. I'd not hesitate to send him any rifle to be rechambered/rebored.

Rost495, my 35 Newton took some shooting to smooth out and still requires a few fouling shots to settle back down with the 3 groove. It's really not too much different than my Pre64 338.. I don't clean either bore till they REALLY need it now. They stay on top for a long time..
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/08/15
That's good to know Scotty.........One of these days...one of these days...
Posted By: gerry35 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/08/15
Originally Posted by beretzs
I am about to send him another rifle to be rechambered. He will also rechamber pretty quickly. I'd not hesitate to send him any rifle to be rechambered/rebored.

400 Whelen?
Posted By: rickt300 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/09/15
I have been thinking about sending a Remington SPS in 243 to be rebored to 358 Winchester. I also have a 243 Savage M110 I could send in for the work. I want a short light rifle with plenty of thump for black bears and feral hogs and deciding between which rifle to send in is the hard part. Anyone know which action is actually lighter?
Posted By: beretzs Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/12/15
Originally Posted by gerrygoat

400 Whelen?

Good guess! But it's something just a little more different.
Posted By: gerry35 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/13/15

400 Whelen?

A little more different than a 400 Whelen? This I got to see smile
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 01/13/15
How about .270 WSM to .300 WSM or .325 WSM in a sporter contour?
Posted By: Turk1961 Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 02/16/15
I have a Tikka in 270 with a clip. If I have it bored out to 35 Whelen or 9.3x62, where can I purchase a replacement clip for the bigger round? Or will the 270 clip work for the Whelen? What about the 9.3x62?

Thanks for your help.

Richard
Posted By: shootem Re: J E S Rifle Reboring - 02/16/15

400 Whelen?

A little more different than a 400 Whelen? This I got to see smile

Mo different, no problem: .400/.280AI edit: NO WAIT.... .400/9.3x62AI
© 24hourcampfire