Home
All my rifles currently have matte scopes on them...even the stainless ones. I have been contemplating a silver leupold vxII 3X9X40 on my new 300 wby stainles Sub MOA. Thinking it could look sharp...What say ye?
Oh and there is silver/gray webbing in the stock...think that comes into my thoughts as well.
I don't like the looks of the silver scopes, but matte bases with stainless rings around a matte scope adds a nice contrast.
I've tried a couple of Silver scopes on a couple of rifles and just can't like 'em. I always go back to matte mounts and scopes on the SS, regardless of stock. Just personal preference, I guess.
the only one I have seen was on my cousins 10/22 wood stock stainless with silver scope...doesn't look right....but just sorta picturing it on this stock seems like it could work...
Don't make the silver scope mistake! It's not worth it. Silvers never match right and it limits you if you need to swap scopes around. Just stick to matte and call it good.
Set up a silver Leupold VX-II 4x12x40 on my son-in-law's T3 Lite, using matte Leupold bases and Signature rings. Does look kinda cool.

However, out in wilds it's somewhat more standout than stainless barrels and actions. Enough so to alarm game? Possibly.

And for that reason, doing it all over again, probably would stick to matte black.

FWIW.

[Linked Image]
Tbaker - while I like your taste in football teams grin, I prefer matte black scopes on everything - no silver, no gloss.
I've got a few, only one that really looks good is a early 90's Winchester Classic/Stainless. I've got a Leupold 3.5-10 in Leupold Silver Rings.

Not a perfect match, but it does look good. Same rife/set-up was pictured on a few magazine issues from back in that day/age.

Don't have any pics and it's in the back of the safe.

I've got another Leupold on a Ruger Hawkeye All weather and I wish I would have gone matte.
Originally Posted by Higbean
Don't make the silver scope mistake! It's not worth it. Silvers never match right and it limits you if you need to swap scopes around. Just stick to matte and call it good.

Good advice, it is bad enough that "Silver" mounts don't match most SS receivers(unless it is a Sako) and then with a Silver scope you have 3 different "Silver" finishes.
I kind of have OCD when it comes to scopes matching the rifle. My 300WSM is stainless/synthetic and has stainless bases,rings, and scope
[Linked Image]
My girlfriends rifle is a ruger hawkeye all weather and has the stainless rings with a matte mikon buckmaster. I like the look of it also. My ruger hawkeye has the OD green hogue stock on it from the factory and i bought a burris FFII tactical just because it matched the stock perfect. Got lucky i guess cuz turned out i love the scope
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
that second pic is cloes to what I am picturing....my stock is webbed rather than marbled...but thinking I like it....besides if I don't....then another campfire member might get a good deal on a silver leupold...
I guess I'm much more concerned about function than I am about appearance when it comes to scopes.
I have a couple of the gun metal grey leupolds on stainless rifles. I like the look.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I guess I'm much more concerned about function than I am about appearance when it comes to scopes.

sorta why I chose the leupold....
My preference is black, mostly because I prefer the aethetics but it's also partly due to a fair amount of scope/rifle juggling.

You only have to please yourself - I'd do what makes YOUR socks go up and down.
I tend to match to the rifle. My stainless rifles wear silver scopes and rings, gloss for polished blue rifles and matte for matte. That said I'm currently putting together my "beater" Ruger. It's a stainless rifle and will be wearing a matte scope and rings.
it's not gonna match the rifle.

really depends on whether you want 2 or 3 different colors there.

black + color of the gun = 2 colors

silver scope + different shade of silver rings + different shade of silver gun = 3 colors.

I don't care for the look. Ken
I sort of like them, both Leupolds with Leupold rings and bases.
338mag Model 70, 7mm-08 Browning

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver scopes look like barf. I'd rather have a purple Leupold.

I'm not clear on your position SuperCub. Can you please clarify.
I prefer blue and wood stocks;simple as that. Kix
Silver scopes are for pimps! IMHO, silver scopes are ugly and the silver never matches the stainless rifle. Like others have mentioned, matte goes with all finishes so you can move it from rifle to rifle, and it's much easier to sell if necessary.
I have one, a silver Leupold 3.5X10X40 in silver Leupold DD mounts on a SS/syn M70 .270 WSM. My others SS/syn rifles have black scopes. The only think functionally I don't like about the silver scopes is that the silver ring around the rear lens is more obvious and distracting to my eyes than the black ring around the other scopes.
Silver on silver? that's a little too much bling for Me, but to each his own................VaHillbilly.
Originally Posted by jbmi

[Linked Image]

I don't like silver scopes in any capacity, but that is the one setup that makes me question my conclusion. I have seen that pic several times here on the 'fire, and I like it! I'd love to see that stock in person. Who painted it?
Rick Bin painted the McMillen for me, black and silver spider webs.
People who don't like silver on silver are the ones you see in church wearing bib overalls and a dirty t-shirt. No Class ! smile
yeah and noth'in wrong with being a "pimp" Bling Bling
True, if you do most of your hunting in the hood... lol
da woods is my hood
Originally Posted by jbmi
Rick Bin painted the McMillen for me, black and silver spider webs.
People who don't like silver on silver are the ones you see in church wearing bib overalls and a dirty t-shirt. No Class ! smile
No, I beg to differ on that point. I have had just one silver scope. That silver ring around the lens just seemed to distract me for some reason. That and the silver on silver looked a lot like something a lady of the evening would carry.
Silver scopes make even the best rifles look ugly.
Not a fan of silver scopes. Leupold has a gunmetal which can look nice on the right stock though.
Have a silver scope on a pre accutrigger SS Savage (.308 Win.) with matte silver bases and rings. Looks "OK" but later used camoform tape between rings and turret to tone it down a bit. If I lived up north, using the camoform "Snow" pattern, the matte silver would work out fine. Homesteader.
Really can't like silver on stainless...or anything else.

Only exception (besides a couple of rifles on this thread that I really like - at least in pictures) that I have seen was a silver conquest with black Butler Creeks on a Finnlight. It was a near perfect match, and the two tone black and silver on both scope and rifle really worked.

DJ
Originally Posted by TBaker5390
All my rifles currently have matte scopes on them...even the stainless ones. I have been contemplating a silver leupold vxII 3X9X40 on my new 300 wby stainles Sub MOA. Thinking it could look sharp...What say ye?

Absolutely--that's how I have my M700 Mountain Rifle and lightweight 06AI set up. With black matte rings and bases, and black stocks, I like the look a lot........

I've been thinking about repainting the stocks and splattering them with silver......but then again they're my serious huntin' rifles........

Casey
© 24hourcampfire