Home
A rifle to be used mainly on deer sized stuff and main by me, but I'd like the possibility of using it as a youth rifle as well.

Never fired a 7X57, but I assume it reasonably close to the 7-08, which I would consider maximum for a 12ish year old. Is the Swede a tad more tame?
Know anybody who can handload for you? Loaded down 7x57 loads can be really tame.
7 Mauser.
You can make either one kick or either one tame. Started my son with a .260 (6.5 Short) and mid loaded 100 gr bullets. In a Stainless Model 7 you don't lose the sight picture at 100 yds but it kills deer. Moved up to 129 Hornadys at full speed a few years later. Recoil still not bad. On the other hand I find factory 140 gr loads to be fair kickers in the little rifle. He got a 7x57 Ruger added when he was 13(?)and shot it well. Wife shoots a 7-08 MicroHunter Abolt and handles full load 139's. You really can't go wrong with either choice. I just sold a 6.5x55 but will be buying another soon. That's my personal biased choice but would not fault the 7x57 in the least.
Choose a cartridge for which youth or reduced recoil rounds are made. Or load your own.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rem_managed_recoil.htm

http://www.remington.com/product-families/ammunition/centerfire-families/managed-recoil.aspx

Go back in time 5 years and both calibers were on my short list. I went with the 6.5x55 and don't regret it one bit. However, I tend to think that if I had gone with the 7x57 I wouldn't be any less happy with it. 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.

Pick which one appeals to you more, for whatever reason you can think of, and go for it.
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
7 Mauser.
+ 1 on the 7x57 Mauser. Load it for mice to mammoths. And with a huge selection of bullets.
I'm a wild and crazy guy. I'll go with the 7X57.

Steve
Nothing wrong with 7X57, but 6.5's seem to be easier to get to really shoot accurately. Swedish Mausers with obviously worn bores often shoot amazingly well. Lethality and bullet selection is good for either one.
I'm a huge 6.5x55 fan, but I don't see anything wrong with the 7x57.
Last year the 260 rem or 6.5X55 was the campfire caliber to aquire, this year its the 7X57.

Doc
The answer I came up with years ago was to own and hunt with both the 7x57 and the 6.5x55. I love both cartridges. Sensible and classic.
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Choose a cartridge for which youth or reduced recoil rounds are made. Or load your own.

I don't know about the 6.5, but every almost American brand of 7x57 is already reduced recoil. I think the 7x57 is the bee's knees. I can't find a fault with the 6.5x55 though.
Either would be marvelous. Have multiples of both. H4350 works well with many bullets. I'd pick the 6.5x55 for a youngster. Might want to check factory loads if you don't roll your own-that could be the deciding factor.
Since you want a choice, I've got to pick the 6.5x55 Swede. Light recoil, easy to load for, and kills way beyond it's paper stats.
Owning both, and using both..
given your intention as stated above..

the Swede will recoil less on average..
6.5 bullet are usually more aerodynamic

Average Swedes are typically more accurate than the average 7mm Mauser...

But if you handload especially, the above points are just academic..

Either choice is going to give you a rifle and cartridge you are going to really enjoy...

having both is why I can't pick one over the other..so I own several of each... and the one I take hunting strictly has to do with my choice d'jour..
I am powerfully prejudiced towards the 6.5x55, but have killed lots of toothy stuff with it, so feel tenderhearted to the old round. Accurate, excellent penetration, and absolutely reliable. Having said that, I would love a 7x57.

Randy
Don't think you can go wrong either way. Think the 6.5x55 is picking up steam as far as ammo availability goes.

I too have multiples of both. I would first go with the Swede and second with the 7mm-08 rather than the 7x57.

Changed my mind smile 6.5 Swede and 7mm-08 are a tie. There, I said it wink
It's already been said several times and I gotta agree with about the same. I've got several copies of both and use both for whitetails and cannot tell much difference. They are both near perfection for the whitetails we have around here.
<<<< See avatar for answer.
laugh
are you buying mil surplus rifles? The 6.5 swede was said to be more accurate. I have never owned either and probably never will. Go get a Savage Edge in 7-08 and your in a better place for $300 bucks. Don't get a Mooseberg ATR.
You knew this was coming...

7x57.....duh....

But the Swede came by its reputation honestly..

Ingwe
Another vote here for the 7X57... Either will do just fine, however...
Several years ago, a young friend asked the same question about a rifle for himself. I told him I had a really nice 7X57 reamer, and that would be my recommendation. I have been using one since 1981. He went for it, and has been quite happy with it.

Last year I gave his 12 year old son a 6.5X55 for his first deer season. Either one will work superbly.
n2daddy,

The answer is "Yes." Either is great. I hunt with both. The Swede might kick just a tad less. Because you are using it in a youth application, I lean ever so slightly toward the Swede. I consider the 7x57 to be absolute perfection for deer hunting. I have four of them. smile
I have both.

Last week it was the 6.5x55 and this week its the 7x57.

Both are equal to me.

Flip a coin.
+1

I am a confirmed 7x57 slut, but could be happy with a Swede if I had to.
It's probably a lot easier to find a rifle in the Swede I guess and I don't think anyone is making rifles in 7x57 right now, unless you find one at gun shop or show.
Still, there ain't any flies on the swede. With that said, my choice would still be the 7x57. I don't own a Swede but I have shot a few and the recoil is slightly less than the 7x57 but I don't think there is that much difference in the two. I did once have a nice 6.5x54 MS that killed der very nicely. Some low life stole that rifle and I hope he's enjoying it. NOT!
Winchester 145 gr. Powerpoint ammo is quite accurate in my three 7x57s and recoil is mild. Federal makes a 140 gr. load, I think that should be light on the shoulder. Even my very warm, nay hot handloads are not all that bad regarding recoil.
So which one should you pick? Hell flip a coin. Heads the 6.5 or tails the 7x57, either one would be good to go.
Paul B.
Just for the amusement of it, I went to GunsAmerica and looked. They have seven 6.5x55's for sale, and twelve 7x57's. Clearly the 7x57 is more popular... whistle.

The simple reality is, they are enough alike in every feature that it literally makes no difference which one you shoot. Load good bullets and shoot well...all else will work out just fine.

Dennis
If you are looking to buy one from a local dealer, there may not be a choice. Just get whichever one you find. If there is a choice, buy the one that feels the best to you. If they both are the same model with a walnut stock, buy the one with the nicest wood grain.

Bruce
Amazing the modern capabilities of two century old cartridges. It's almost as if the designers knew what they were doing. Still feel it a shame there's not enough demand to warrant a modern version of a mid sized mauser action built around the dimensions of the 6.5x55, 7x57 and 8 and 9x57's. Hey Winchester. Hmmmmmm? I could even deal with a price premium for a small production run. But alas, probably just lustful, wishful thinking.
Don't forget 9.3x57... grin.

Dennis
Geez, where was my brain. sleep
Thanks for the info. I knew these two were close. I think based on a little further research and the input here. I'm leaning to the Swede, I think it's a touch more versatile being able to shoot the lighter bullets. It kind of mimics the 243 with 100 grainers, the 25-06 120 grainers, and the 7X57 with the 140's all with similar or better BC.

Add that to the fact the Tikka and CZ are currently available and the 7X57 isn't kind of answers the question. How are the CZ's by the way? Did a search and didn't find much.

In truth the availability of a modern gun in 7X57 probably isn't an issue. Where I live there is a show every week. That could be settled with some cash and a good walk around.

For those who suggested the 7-08, I agree it is a fine choice given my parameters. I just really want (key word) one of the old classics. It was extremely hard to pass up a Marlin brand new on clearance for $250!!

Thanks again for the help.
Yep - coin flip, though my preference and emotions push me toward the 7x57 every time.
I have 2 Swedes, a 96 that is getting a new barrel installed, and a 94 I had redone two years ago. I just love carrying the 94. I"ll be using it this fall for my cow Elk tag. I have a TS Ruger 77 in 7x57 and I love it too. Get the 6.5x55 first, and you will probably never need a 7x57.
Originally Posted by n2daddy
How are the CZ's by the way?

Where I live there is a show every week.

I just really want (key word) one of the old classics.

CZs are great rifles, and a lot of them sport some nice woodwork, too.

Where do you live that there's a show every week? On second thought, maybe I don't want to know.

As to what you really want...With an attitude like that, no wonder you're on this forum. grin
My pick is 6.5x55 in my Ruger RSI

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by garyb11s
My pick is 6.5x55 in my Ruger RSI

[Linked Image]

UmmmmUmmmm Ummm..

ain't that purdy!

Gary, you have good taste there Partner!
The 7x57 is vastly under-loaded by American ammo manufacturers due to the SAAMI chamber pressure rating of just 46,000 CUP. This is due to the number of old, weaker 1893 and 1895 Mauser rifles still being used in many 3rd. world nations.

When handloaded to its full potential (the published maximum load of 50.0 grains of H4350 behind a 140-145 grain bullet), the 7x57 Mauser yields slightly greater muzzle velocity and bullet energy than the very popular 7mm-08 Winchester which is based on a necked-down .308 Winchester case. The 7x57 has a slightly greater powder capacity compared to the 7mm-08.

The accuracy load in my Ruger #1 International (aka "RSI" with a 20-inch barrel, Mannlicher-style stock) is 47.2 grains of H4350 behind a 140 grain Sierra, square-based ProHunter bullet sparked by a standard Winchester large rifle primer. This load yielded a 3 shot group (at 50 yards) of just .176 inches and an estimated muzzle velocity of 2540 fps.

A slightly heavier load (47.6 grains of H4350) yielded a 3-shot group of just .179 inches and a chronographed muzzle velocity averaging 2580 fps which would serve as a fine deer load with excellent accuracy and very little recoil.

My hunting load (and a MAXIMUM powder charge according to a popular handloading manual) is 50.0 grains of H4350 behind a 140 grain Sierra, flat-based ProHunter bullet sparked by standard Winchester large rifle primer. This load yielded a 3-shot group measuring .404 inches (at 50 yards) with an estimated muzzle velocity of 2780 fps.

Both muzzle blast and recoil of my hunting load were "up" considerably from the accuracy load mentioned above. I tested probably 2 dozen different loads in my 7x57 using H4350 and every one of them was at least a "minute-of-deer". Therefore, I concluded that H4350 was "THE" powder for the 7x57 in MY rifle.

I didn't arrive at that conclusion using any "short-cuts". All-in-all, I tested 4 different bullets (140-145 grains) together with 4 different primers and 3 different powders over a two year period as well as a great many different bullet-seating depths... something relatively easy to do when shooting a single-shot rifle like the Ruger #1 International.

Handloading is a great hobby... and I enjoy it almost as much as shooting. I've spent many, many happy, contented hours at the loading bench developing different loads for different rifles. "Accuracy-is-king"... ALWAYS, so I go with the best accuracy I can get with a fairly heavy load for hunting... but for just "fun shooting", I go with "THE" most accurate load without any concern about muzzle velocity or bullet drop.

BTW, H4350 is one of Hodgdon's "EXTREME" powders meaning that Hodgdon claims their EXTREME powders are not effected by air temperature... a decided advantage for a hunter who develops his hunting loads in the heat of summer, but shoots them at game at a much colder temperature which considerably lowers the muzzle velocity of powders that ARE effected by air temperature.

My advice to you, my friend, is to go with the 7x57 and get into handloading, not only to cut your ammo cost by 2/3rds to 3/4ers and end up with considerable more accurate ammo (than factory loaded ammo) specifically loaded for your individual rifle.

If you plan to do a lot of shooting, I'd suggest you buy 200 new Winchester (Remington brass, if Winchester brass isn't available)"virgin" brass in 7x57, a pound or two of H4350, a 1,000 Winchester large rifle primers, a standard RCBS reloading die set in 7x57 and consider RCBS's reloading "package" which includes their single stage, high quality reloading press, 505 powder scale and a good many other needed tools.

Try to find a "reloading mentor"... someone with years of reloading experience to help you get started and advise you as to what other "tools" you'll need like a set of dial or digital calipers which will prove invaluable-check the local pawn shops for a used tool... you can often get a high quality $200+ digital or dial caliper (cost new) for $20-$40 at a pawn shop.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Ron T. - Awesome post. I am no stranger to the reloading bench, but I have been on hiatus for a few years. Gave up my reloading stuff awhile ago when my shooting declined. Picking it up again though. I appreciate the 7X57 input, and it is my vote for the all around medium bore. I do think I will start with the Swede because of the youth rifle aspect. However, I do anticipate a 7X57 to be in the fold shortly!! Thanks
Originally Posted by n2daddy
A rifle to be used mainly on deer sized stuff and main by me, but I'd like the possibility of using it as a youth rifle as well.

Never fired a 7X57, but I assume it reasonably close to the 7-08, which I would consider maximum for a 12ish year old. Is the Swede a tad more tame?
....................The Ruger compact bolt carbines are available in the 260 Remy and the 7/08. Their 35.5" OAL dimension, 12.5" LOP and lighter weight, are imo, the best sized and easiest handling bolt rifles for youths or for anyone else on the market. From personal experience, they are quite alot of fun for "us" big boys too. On my Frontier, I use a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad which can instantly increase the LOP to 13.5" if needed.

Outstanding performances from the shorty tubes, that will run from about 4.5% to maybe 6% behind the 24" tubes in the velocity dept, which in reality is irrelevant. With my handloads, my Ruger compact is extremely accurate and a joy to carry, manuver, and even for my size of 6'3" 240 lbs, it is nevertheless a joy to carry, manuver and hunt with in the field. You don`t need to be only a youth to really enjoy this rifle.

One friend has a 338 Federal in the Frontier Target Grey compact and another has the 300 RCM in the newer Hawkeye laminated stainless compact. They love `em.

If a smaller sized rifle is what you`re looking for, either the 260 or the 7/08 chambered in the Ruger compact would make for an ideal deer combo.

© 24hourcampfire