Home
Posted By: quackquackbang X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/18/10
anyone handle one yet what are your thougts?
Posted By: 264guy Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/18/10
Yes, I did. It was nice. Had a fluted barrel but I am not crazy about fluted barrels. It is a trim and nimble feeling rifle but I think I like the synthetic/stainless just as well or better. They seems to have a nice recoil pad as well. I have never been an A-bolt lover but I do like the X-bolt. It's a very handy rifle and by all accounts they tend to shoot really well.
Thanks for the reply. Well i went and got the X-Bolt Carbon Fiber in 7mm-08, here are a few photos of the gun at the store that the guy took for me.cool

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/21/10
Beautiful rifle for sure!..............Hillbilly.
Posted By: cooperfan Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/22/10
SWEET!!!
Posted By: Splittine Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/22/10
Ive never been a huge Browning fan but I think I would own one of those. Purdy gun fer sure.
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/22/10
That's nifty what's the weight on it?
Posted By: rl11 Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/22/10
Not a dig at the owner, but why's it a 1300 dollar rifle? Isn't it just the same painted on design Marlin's been putting on their rimfires forever?
Posted By: 264guy Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 04/23/10
Nice looking rifle. Should make a very hady deer gun.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/02/10
Let us know how she shoots.............Hillbilly.
Posted By: usmarine0352 Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
Originally Posted by rl11
Not a dig at the owner, but why's it a 1300 dollar rifle? Isn't it just the same painted on design Marlin's been putting on their rimfires forever?

That's a great question. I hope not. Does anyone know the answer?

Is the X-Bolt with Carbon Fiber stalk painted on?

Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
Yes, I do, I actually called Browning when I read this statement the other night and the Browning guy said that this carbon fiber pattern is actually molded into the stock itself.............Hillbilly.
Posted By: natman Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
Originally Posted by usmarine0352
Originally Posted by rl11

That's a great question. I hope not. Does anyone know the answer?

Is the X-Bolt with Carbon Fiber stalk painted on?

From the Browning website:

http://www.browning.com/products/ca...alue=023B&cat_id=035&type_id=240

Stock � Composite; Textured gripping surfaces; Palm swell; Carbon Fiber finish; Dura- Touch� Armor Coating

Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
It does say finish, I wonder if the Browning guy knew what he was talking about? I think I'll call back and ask for a tech rep, hell it's something to do grin............Hillbilly.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
I would assume it is a molded in overlay. What would be the benefit of having a carbon fiber overlay? Maybe a little more ridgitity? If it is a carbon shell, I wonder if it will crack if dropped. Bell & Carlson makes these stocks, you may want to call them. These may be a version of the carbolite stocks they offer. Not a dig, but a serious question. I bet she'll shoot fine though, very nice looking rifle.

Not trying to be critical of Browning Service Reps, but I called and asked for the torque specs on the action screws for the X-Bolt 3 times and got 3 different answers.

The barrel of my 7WSM heats up quickly, it will bug hole 2 and the third will be off unless you let the bbl. cool.

The bbl. dimensions are 1.175 and .605 at the muzzle (23" length). If they fluted a heavier barrel I applaud them. Heat shouldn't be a problem with a 7-08, but it is with the hotter factory & Hand loads in the 7WSM.

Quack, do you know what the bbl. dimensions are at the chamber and muzzle? I'm curious to know if they just fluted the same size bbl. or used a heavier one.

Thanks,

JM.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
nice looking gun.
Posted By: 47stalker Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
My son & I were shouldering those X-Bolts down at our LGS the other week. I would buy one in a heartbeat!

Congrats on a fine light trim rifle.

PS-What does it weight exactly in 7-08?
The specs say 6.3 lbs.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I would assume it is a molded in overlay. What would be the benefit of having a carbon fiber overlay? Maybe a little more ridgitity? If it is a carbon shell, I wonder if it will crack if dropped. Bell & Carlson makes these stocks, you may want to call them. These may be a version of the carbolite stocks they offer. Not a dig, but a serious question. I bet she'll shoot fine though, very nice looking rifle.

Not trying to be critical of Browning Service Reps, but I called and asked for the torque specs on the action screws for the X-Bolt 3 times and got 3 different answers.

The barrel of my 7WSM heats up quickly, it will bug hole 2 and the third will be off unless you let the bbl. cool.

The bbl. dimensions are 1.175 and .605 at the muzzle (23" length). If they fluted a heavier barrel I applaud them. Heat shouldn't be a problem with a 7-08, but it is with the hotter factory & Hand loads in the 7WSM.

Quack, do you know what the bbl. dimensions are at the chamber and muzzle? I'm curious to know if they just fluted the same size bbl. or used a heavier one.

Thanks,

JM.

So a molded over-lay, how well would that stand up to punishment?

If you dinged it, would it be a different color underneath?

Would it eventually rub off?

I think it's not for durability, but for looks. It's a limited edition.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
its a nice light rifle, what exactly is the stock made of? Is it a plastic molded stock or a fiberglass stock?
That is what I'd like to know. Bell & Carlson makes them for Browning. According to Chuck Hawks (take it for what it's worth), the A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker has a fiberglass-graphite composite stock.

I would assume they are using the same materials for the X-Bolt, but they may not be.

UPDATE: I Called and was told they are made out of recylced milk jugs.

Originally Posted by JohnMoses
That is what I'd like to know. Bell & Carlson makes them for Browning. According to Chuck Hawks (take it for what it's worth), the A-Bolt II Stainless Stalker has a fiberglass-graphite composite stock.

I would assume they are using the same materials for the X-Bolt, but they may not be.

UPDATE: I Called and was told they are made out of recylced milk jugs.

So what did they say about this:

So a molded over-lay, how well would that stand up to punishment?

If you dinged it, would it be a different color underneath?

Would it eventually rub off?

Posted By: BWalker Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/05/10
Looks to me like the " carbon fiber pattern" is purely cosmetic in typical Browning fashion.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/06/10
I think it's only a cosmetic thing, no actual carbon fiber involved here, but it does look great!!. I would also like to know if they fluted a little heavier barrel, this would be a big plus to me ..........Hillbilly.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/06/10
Called Browning and spoke with a fella named Mike.

He told me the there is no Carbon Fiber in the stock, that it is just an image presssed into it.

I asked about the fluted Bbl. dimensions and he said it was a standard weight barrel, the same one used on non-fluted X-Bolts.

I don't see how they could could have carbon fiber as part of the name of the rifle when it actually contains none.

Misleading at best.

JM
Before I bought the rifle I knew that it wasn't real carbon fiber. I bought it because I like it. I wasn't mislead into thinking it was real carbon fiber by any means.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/06/10
I think they are good rifles, I have an X-Bolt Hunter. I really like the flutes.

I just think that Browning is being a little misleading naming the gun what they did.

I bet she'll shoot bugholes though.

Best,

JM
Posted By: usmarine0352 Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/06/10
No Carbon fiber, that sucks.

I really wanted to get one, but now that I know it's only an image, not so interested. And they charge a lot more for it.

I wouldn't mind paying more if it was real carbon fiber like in a Benelli.
Posted By: firepro22 Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/07/10
The fluted barrel would be cool in the black synthetic stock. I wonder if Browning would let me order one that way?
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/07/10
Thanks JM, that was some good information............Hillbilly.
Well the gun has arrived and here are a few updated photos.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/19/10
Very nice!..................Hillbilly.
I bought the xbolt ss stalker and I didnt even know they made a carbon fiber with a fluted bbl. when did it come out?
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: X-Bolt Carbon Fiber? - 05/19/10
Shot show special for 2010..................Hillbilly.
tried her out tonight with some blue box federal 150's and it shot a 1.25 group at 100 yards. Not to bad i dont think, gonna try some 140 accubonds and partition next time out, it got dark on me tonight so never had a chance.
Originally Posted by quackquackbang
tried her out tonight with some blue box federal 150's and it shot a 1.25 group at 100 yards. Not to bad i dont think, gonna try some 140 accubonds and partition next time out, it got dark on me tonight so never had a chance.

I havent shot mine yet. Did you use the barrel break in procedure for your x bolt?
i fired a couple shots then cleaned! then fired a few more and cleaned! only fired 10 round got dark on me. next time out ill fire a few more and clean.
© 24hourcampfire