Home
Posted By: Clem_Kuns Sako A7 30-06 - 04/24/10
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Sako A7 in 30-06. Now I am going to attempt to figure out the most accurate / precise load. My first hunt with this gun will be for Caribou, so I am looking for the best grouping load in the 165-180 grain range. Of course I am interested in any experiences anyone has had with any load in this gun and caliber.

I would appreciate hearing any experience anyone has has with this gun and caliber. What kind of 100-yard accuracies are you getting? What ammo shoots best? What ammo shoots worst?

Anyone perfected a handload for this gun?

Any thoughts on how to "break in" this gun? 10-rounds for break-in? 100-rounds?

Please feel free to be specific on loads, group sizes, repeatability of group sizes.

Thanks in advance!

Clem
Posted By: 264guy Re: Sako A7 30-06 - 04/24/10
Clem,

I don't have an A7 but welcome to the Fire!

By all accounts the A7's shoot most everything pretty well and some loads remarkably well. I am sure others will chime in.
Posted By: pigster Re: Sako A7 30-06 - 04/25/10
I am in the same shoes as you are. Bought mine( 30-06)about 10 days ago and had the chance to shoot it for the first time. I have not followed any break in procedure. Sako claims 5 shot one inch groups, I do not think they clean in between shots. What would my efforts achieve after that? Conditions weren't ideal. I was shooting in a sand pit from the top of my car with howling wind from 8 o'clock. Ammo was factory Rem. 180 grain PSPCL. First shot was on paper, 0 high 4" right. Tightened ring and base screws some more, second one 1.5" left, 3.5" low.
After adjusting the scope, next three rounds gave me a 2 inch group centered about 1" high, 1.5" right. I know it is far from promise land, considering circumstances, I was content with it. The most pleasant surprise came with the ease of cleaning, Wipe Out didn't indicate any copper fouling.
Posted By: Clem_Kuns Re: Sako A7 30-06 - 04/25/10
Thanks for the welcome and the input so far.

I have tried to find corporate contact info for Sako, but was unsuccessful. It seems if they gurantee 5-shot sub-MOA groups, there would be a list of "try this ammo"? So far the best groups I have punched were 1.25-inch at 100-yards. I am even trying to use a shooting rest to take me out of the equation. Here is the rest I am using: http://www.hyskore.com/dlx-precision-rifle-rest.htm
The scope I have mounted on this gun is a Bushnell Elit 6500. Thanks for your input everyone. Keep the tips, experiences, etc comming!

Clem
Posted By: old_willys Re: Sako A7 30-06 - 04/25/10
You will be happy with your A7, I purchased one in 25-06 this winter.

Not an A7 but Sako\Tikka in 30-06 likes the Barnes 168 TSX. I do not have the loads handy but it shot very well with the hotest recommended Barnes loads. I found that also true with my Tikka .270 and Sako 85 300 WSM.
Posted By: 264guy Re: Sako A7 30-06 - 04/25/10
Clem,

Try a Federal load with Nosler ballistic tip bullets, they tend to be very accurate. You might also consider some of the Hornady ammunition.
© 24hourcampfire