Home

Hornady's making the bullets, so who's it going to be ?

Winchester - naw
Remington - could be but not likely
Ruger - maybe
And yes I know CZ make's them - I OWN ONE.

heck even Sako could start importing them.

Two or three of us Campfire dogs have 9.3 builds completed or on the way so it's now murphy's law - just a matter of time before it's made available commercially.

And when it's offered in the rifle I want I'm gonna be pissed.

Spot
Savage Arms would be a good candidate---swap barrels and accuracy are their strong suits.

I agree with Savage, it is, however, a very Rugery thing to do!
Ruger will if any of them do....chambering it in a #1 action
I think I've heard Ruger exports them to Europe. Anyone else heard that? (Don't want to start rumors.)
Don't believe it will happen.
That would suck if Ruger makes them only to export them.

I hate Berreta for their crap - not importing the sako 9.3x62
If I were a betting person, I would put it on Ruger and probably a hawkeye. Hopefully walnut and blue....
Ruger, in both the 77 and the 1.
I'm still waiting for Remington to do a LA700 in 9.3x64 Brenneke.

I'll have one built before then...
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

That would suck if Ruger makes them only to export them.

Sportshooter

They do that. I have a 6.5x55 in a Hawkeye Stainless/Synthetic that is not available in the U.S.

A small number ( I believe it was 1000) was made for Europe in that caliber & we got some here in Australia.

If Ruger have some spare manufacturing capacity I would be surprised if we did not eventually see the 9.3x62 - although it could interfere with their 375 Ruger sales.

What an opportunity for Winchester!
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Hornady's making the bullets, so who's it going to be ?

Spot

Dude, WTF are you talking about? Nosler, Speer, Barnes etc all make bullets in 9.3.

Hornady does now produce ammunition for the 9.3x62
Ruger #1 in 9.3x62 already in the gun safe. Fully custom of course. Crazy nice tiger maple stock... Just like Ruger makes (grin).

1B

Steelhead - how long before Mardi gras?

You need to de-stress

But good point all but Sierra make 9.3 bullets.

But commercial ammo being available makes the 9.3 more likely than the 358Win when browning brought it back in the BLR.

Now put a 9.3x62 in a lever gun vs. a 444.. cool
Unless someone at Wal-Mart ask..Remington won't do it...

Ruger makes more sense....
If any do, It will be Ruger, The Ruger African would be something worth buying so chambered. The question is to ask would be why? 9.3 x 62 maybe popular here on the Boards, and the guys here might buy a couple of dozen such rifles, then what do you do? Ruger is a company that makes Guns, they like guns they can sell, and sell well. They like a profit and they like staying in business even more. They should bring in Sako's so chambered or at the very least special order one for those that want one. In the end all you have to do is get an 30-06 very common and have a smith fit a 9.3 barrel to it and poof you have your 9.3 x 62 in what ever action favor you want. Till then my old sako 75 in 338 will just have to do. And most gun shops have 338's on the self. I didn't see one box of 9.3 at the gun shop I was at on Thursday.
I agree that Ruger would be the one to do it.

Maybe they could pick up where Remington left off with BDL Classic. Make 1000 or so for the year, more if the demand is there. Then make a factory loading with the 286gr bullet and make everyone who wants one happy.
As long as Ruger is selling 375 R's there is no way they are going to make a 9.3.

Salvage is a turd in the punch bowl, just to butt ugly to own.

Sako making a 370 Sako Mag in the A-7 would be a great choice.
Hopefully Cooper

Sako's already got the 9.x62 and the 370 Mag (9.3x66) bums could make either.

I think winchester should make them, they'd sell well both internationally and state side wouldn't do bad.

Spot
Sure they're making them, they are not importing them here to the US.

The A7 would be more affordable.

Win 70 would be great too.
Winchester would be rewarded for the leadership in this area--if they had any.
the new win extreme weather in 9.3 x 62...we can only dream..
Ruger was the first company that came to mind re the 9.3x62.
But someone mentioned Winchester. I'd love seeing a 9.3x62 built by Winchester. Does anyone know where Winchester's management is located, the people who would make that decision?
Ruger is the best possibility if such a thing exists. Still would love to see Winchester make a "Euro Run" series with 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57 and 9.3x62; lightweight slimmed stocks, beaded cheekpiece, etc. but thats like p'n in the ocean and yelling High Tide. Ain't gonna happen.
Someone should do it. It's a great caliber.
I'd love to see a Model 70 EW or a Ruger Hawkeye (with sights!) in 9.3x62.

Okie John
If I wanted one, I'd be on the horn to CZ-USA, see if they couldn't come up with one that suited me.
Just order a Sako in 9.3x62 or 66. in the 66 a 286gr bullet at 2550fps is an excellant round for big animals. i have jari's number, he is NA sales guy at the Sako factory, he can get you what ever you want.
since the op asked about an american rifle maker, i believe the answer is none. it's not a popular round in the u.s. no popularity = no profit!

I think the 9.3x62 could and should catch on in the us, if there has been the 444, and 35 Whelen why wouldn't the 9.3x62 be a sucsses.
All the influx of new chamberings in the recent few years have saturated the market with "new and improved". Even though it's an old chambering, I don't think the American shooting market is willing to accept it.
I do like the idea of Ruger picking up where Remington dropped the ball with it's yearly Classic. A new chambering every year would still be a success, both with shooters and collectors. smile
Geo
Ruger already has 9.3x74 barrel blanks, so the investment to make a 9.3x62 Hawkeye would be pretty negligible. They are the only one that has ANY chance at building one IMO.
Can somebody post a side-by-side photo of a 9.3X62 along with a 30-06 and a 338 Win Mag., please ?
Originally Posted by Rolly
Can somebody post a side-by-side photo of a 9.3X62 along with a 30-06 and a 338 Win Mag., please ?

Not quite, what you wanted, but, it is all I have access from work.

.303Sav, 7x61, .358 Norma Mag, 9.3x62 and .375-284

[Linked Image]
I'm sure Lipseys or some other distributor will convince Ruger to do a few sooner or later.

Travis
I'd be all over one in the Hawkeye platform. I did consider the CZ, but I could not get past the weight of the rifle. A bit of a deal breaker for me.

CLB
My money would be on Ruger to do a run of them.

ddj
Another lineup:
9.3X62-30-06-8X57-6.5X55-308

[Linked Image]

Hornaday announced they added the 9.3x62mm Mauser to their line up. My money is that means that Ruger will sell a version of their Model 77 rifle. Either the Hawkeye or the non-Magnum Express Rifle. My guess is the express rifle version will come first.
Probably see the Tikka here in it before it's made here.
the CZ's still have the high bolt throw I think..they are nice but not $900 nice in my book. A tikka if in 9.3 x 62 for $6OO or so in SS would be in my safe if I could find it. The 338WM is mroe popular but I think it hurts more on the shooter end.
im thinking of making one based on a lefty ruger MKII or hawkeye action.

but need to find a lh african wood ..!!!
I would hope that Winchester would step up and chamber the EW in 9.3x62, but I know that won't happen. I also wish they would chamber their fwt in 358 Win. However, if I were a bettin' man, I'd put my money on Ruger. Hornady is already making the Ammo/components and they have already done the 6.5x55, 7x64, 9.3x74R, and other exotics.

© 24hourcampfire