Home
does anybody know how well the krylon camo spray paint will stick well on a rifle barrel? It works REALLY goos on my stocks but i have never tried it on a barrel. Would i be better off using brownells alluma hyde for my barrel?
I'm curious about what would cover a barrel as well. I know that Krylon covered my Stevens 200 stock really well. Just have to seal the paint and put the rifle back together again and then do some shooting. whistle
Krylon'll stick just fine.
The Krylon camo paint uses the same stuff as in their Fusion paint for plastics. I've found it stick well to most plastics, but flakes off metal fairly easily. If you use a metal primer first, it sticks well.
Alumahyde II is epoxy based. I'd use that.
The good thing about krylon is that it's easily removed. A few wet wipes with brake fluid & it comes off like butter. Other solvents may work better, I happened to notice it with one of my Rokons.
Krylon is good stuff. I prime everything first then layer on the colors. It has been on several guns, including a stainless 700, that have seen hard use and holds up very well. I like to shoot a coat of clear matte over everything when done. Try the webbing paint, it's pretty cool.
Rust Oleum for metal works pretty well. But I don't think anything will work like AlumaHyde.
The problem with Krylon is it won't hold up to modern bore cleaning foams. I found this out the hard way on a muzzle loader...

It comes off easy alright...

Of course you could do the epoxy-based Aluma-Hyde II as the clear coat over Krylon I think?

That Aluma-Hyde II has served me well on top of stonetouch that I put on a tuperware stock, but I've never tried it on metal.

The key, as with anything, is preparation of the surface to be sprayed.
I have had Brownells black bake on Moly/Teflon finish stand up to 15 + years of hard use on a 340 Tyrannosaur custom. I still use it, obviously, on lots of stuff.
© 24hourcampfire