Home
Posted By: CREDITMAN 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
Need some help on bullet choice for a 270 WSM used for Whitetail deer. Shots could range from 30 yds. to 300 yds. Have been using 130 grain Triple Shocks in Federal ammo for 3 years(I don't reload) with good results. My concern is with shots thru the ribs with no apparent expansion. Had 2 such shots this past hunting season. The 1st deer ran about 100 yds. before dying. The good thing was that he ran across an open field so trailing was not a problem. No blood trail & small exit wound. The second deer was crossing a narrow foodplot about 100 yds. from a elevated stand. I hurried the shot & shot placement was behind the shoulders. Same as 1st deer. The difference this time was he entered a strip of 6 year old planted pines. No sign of blood in foodplot or on the many trails in the planted pines. Deer I have shot in the past with Triple shocks have been thru the shoulder & have either dropped at the shot or only taken a few steps before dropping. I know that the 1st suggestion will be to not shoot them thru the ribs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: kcm270 Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
I'll suggest the 140 Accubond. Works beautifully in my son's 270 WSM on deer and elk, and on deer in my 270. Small sample size, 5 animals, but excellent results. And no, I will not suggest you hit them anywhere other than in the ribs.
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
Appreciate the suggestion on the 140 gr. Accubond. I had thought about giving them a try. How are they at close range & high velocity?
Posted By: Dufur Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
just deer? you could use ballistic tips without issue. I'd suggest the 130 accubond or hornady interbond at max velocity. They will open up fine yet punch thru any animal your likely to want to hang a tag on with the WSM.
Posted By: n2daddy Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
I think the AB 140 is probably the best all arounder. I haven't tried the 130's but I would think that would be you best option. Not much to say about close range and the 270 WSM. It's just ugly, but the AB's hold up and don't completely trash things.

Double Tap has the 130 AB's loaded.
If you're hunting deer, might try Federal Premium with Barnes 110 gr. Tipped TSX...

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/rifle.aspx?id=753

The tipped version insures optimum expansion.

And this puppy zips out of the barrel at only 3500 fps.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
Well I have to cast another vote for the 140 Nosler Accubond as well. I've taken deer, elk, and assorted varmints with it. All one shot kills......
Creditman, I have questioned Accubonds at close distances with high impact velocities. I shot a coues deer one time at about 35 yards 1/4ing towards me on the point of the shoulder. I recovered this bullet on the opposite side hip. It held together well and mushroomed well. I believe it weighed about 65-67% of starting weight. Now, Coues are not heavy at all but I feel that was a pretty good test, as the MV was in the 3250 neighborhood.

Also, I just returned from Africa where the TTSX was the star of the show. Just about every exit was the same size as the entrance, but I promise you that the bullet expanded. I recovered two bullets and they looked just like they do in the commericials. But I also experienced the same as you, little to no blood.
Posted By: MissouriEd Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
I have had great results with 130 gr Sierras. Dead deer everytime.
Was considering Accubonds & TTSX's. Was wondering if the TTSX would open up better than the TSX. Also didn't know that DoubleTap offered 130 Accubond loads in 270 WSM. May have to try some of these. Always used 130 BT in 270 WIN. for deer with good results but was concerned about them blowing up at the higher velocities.
Posted By: southtexas Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/19/10
The 130gr AB at about 3250 has worked very well for me in the 270WSM for deer (handload). Always complete penetration and good expansion. Dont see the need for 140's for deer, except that there are a lot more options available in factory ammo.

Have seen a few deer taken with the 130gr Ballistic Tip in the 270WSM. It's a little too soft at close range for my tastes.
Southtexas, have you experienced good expansion with the 130gr Accubonds when hitting only soft tissue & no major bones? What size exit hole? I have the same concerns with the 130gr BT as you in the 270WSM.
I use 140gr Accubonds in both of my 270WSM's. I had 140gr TSX's to try reloads, but was more than happy with the performance of the Accubonds on big game and at the range. All one shot kills except 1 moose-I told my wife to shoot again-both shots double lung pass-thrus --I just didnt want the bull to get into the timber.

If not the 140gr AB's, then next on my list would be the 140gr TTSX's. Either one will harvest elk, moose, deer, bears if you do your part.
creditman: most of my experience has been with mature bucks. They were high shoulder shots, due to the circumstances, I needed them to drop in place and not run (it worked). One small doe was shot thru the lungs behind the shoulder. She stumbled a few yards and went down. Exit hole was about quarter sized, and lungs were mush.

IIRC, Mule Deer (John Barsness) has said that the AB was designed to mimic the Partition, i.e., frangible up front and good penetration from the remaining base. That has been consistent with my experience to date
For deer to 300 yds with factory ammo no doubt I'd go with Federal Blue Box 150's. For roll your own I'd load a 140 Horn or the 140 Sierra HPBT and call it a day.

Deer do not require any special bullet and either of these bullets will open fine, give 2 holes 99% of the time and will wreck a lot of tissue in the mean time.

Dober
Dang it, Dober. How can we obsess over ballistic gack, when you keep throwing out practical suggestions like that??
Maybe someone should write a book called "BG" for dummies... smile

Dober
Shoot any accubond from your wsm and I PROMISE you will be pleased. They are THE deer bullet
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Maybe someone should write a book called "BG" for dummies... smile

Dober

I'd buy it....sounds like my kinda book!
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Shoot any accubond from your wsm and I PROMISE you will be pleased. They are THE deer bullet

I totally concur that........they're one of many deer bullets... grin

Dober
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by n2daddy
I think the AB 140 is probably the best all arounder. I haven't tried the 130's but I would think that would be you best option. Not much to say about close range and the 270 WSM. It's just ugly, but the AB's hold up and don't completely trash things.

Could you give me some input on Double Tap? How is the quality of their rifle ammo? Aren't they more known for their pistol ammo?
Posted By: kcm270 Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
In my somewhat limited experience, the Accubond held up well, and was not excessively damaging to meat. Full pass through on a cow elk at 242 yds, deer dropped, but not excess damage. I likely will shoot them in my new 243 for deer and antelope, and will never look back.
Posted By: Kimberman Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
I have had awesome luck with 130 gr Swift Sciroccos and 130 gr Hornady Interbonds out of my 270 WSM. Nothing has taken a step after being hit, but shot placemant was perfect on all shots.
Posted By: n2daddy Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
Originally Posted by n2daddy

Could you give me some input on Double Tap? How is the quality of their rifle ammo? Aren't they more known for their pistol ammo?

I have not tried the DT 130gr AB's, but I have tried the DT ammo and have never had a problem.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
130 Partition if they load it in factory ammo.That'll end the problems pronto.
Posted By: Mohawk Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
In factory loads I have had good luck with the Win. Super X 150 grain Powerpoint. Taken a dozen animals or so and it worked perfectly every time. It has been accurate in two different rifles. No problem finding blood trails on the animals I used it on.

I handload the 130 partition and 140 Sierra HPBT and they both work well also.
Posted By: CLB Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/20/10
The 130gr Partition, North Fork, Oryx options are never a bad idea. Especially if you can drive them fast. I know you don't hand load, but you never know when that might change!

CLB
Posted By: Bighorn Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/21/10
130 gr. Partitions work well in my .270 WSM.
Originally Posted by kcm270
In my somewhat limited experience, the Accubond held up well, and was not excessively damaging to meat. Full pass through on a cow elk at 242 yds, deer dropped, but not excess damage. I likely will shoot them in my new 243 for deer and antelope, and will never look back.

You will be disappointed to see (As am I) Nosler doesnt offer a 6mm Accubond. (unless they have came out with one since I researched last)
Posted By: CREDITMAN Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/21/10
Anybody else have any experience with Double Tap ammo, especially rifle ammo?
Posted By: Calvin Re: 270 WSM - bullet choice - 05/23/10
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
My concern is with shots thru the ribs with no apparent expansion. Had 2 such shots this past hunting season. The 1st deer ran about 100 yds. before dying.

If you put a .277 130TSX next to a 140TSX, the difference is night and day. The 130 is much narrower up top, and my gut feeling is that they don't expand as much as other TSX's due to being so narrow. (takes a much longer oal to get to lands) Both Anthony and I have shot plenty of game with the 130TSX, but it never seems to punch as big of a hole as the 140tsx. I've never recovered one though to confirm what my hunch is. On another forum, a guy posted a picture of his little girl who shot a 8'+ Brown Bear with a 270wsm and 130tsx. He posted it killed the bear just fine with a shoulder shot, but only partially expanded. (They actually recovered one)

That being said, I have zero concern with shooting game with the 130tsx.
© 24hourcampfire