Home
Posted By: JustLucky Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I want to shoot some water jugs in 98 degree temperatures. Is there any way to shorten up the time in between shots waiting for the barrel to cool?

Would there be any problem in using a ziploc bag filled with ice to rub along the barrel to cool it down between shots?

I just have not heard of anyone using this method.
Posted By: rrogers Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
you could do that without harming your rifle i do believe, or you can rub the barrel with rubbing alcohol and the evaporation will help speed up the cooling too.
Posted By: battue Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
A .22lr.

I've heard of some who while hunting prairie dogs have a contraption setup that runs water thru the barrel of one rifle to cool it off and use another in the interim.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I know this method works, and so does throwing them in a creek.

[Linked Image]
I would have won that bet..... grin

Damn, I've been hanging around this place way to long. I was waiting.

You're surely hard on you customs. Bet you didn't have the white gloves on that day!!!!
Posted By: UncleSoapy Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Steelhead, good to see you actually own a rifle that isn't all swirly and what not.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I've thought about using about 10 feet of clear tubing and attaching a gallon milk jug full of ice water to one side, and an empty jug to the other. Then just put the empty jug on the ground and the full jug upside down on the shooting bench with the tube wrapped around the barrel. When all the water flows from one jug to the other, just put the empty one on the ground and the full one on the bench. One of these days I'm going to build something like this and let you all know how it works out smile
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I've seen guys remove their bolts, stand the gun up and spray cans of compressed air that were kept in a cooler down the bbl.

I'd just shoot 2 and wait 8-10 minutes and shoot 2 more...

Killing milk jugs is an experience that should be savored.

JM.
Posted By: bluedot Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I just take a small cooler with ice cubes in it. I run 2-3 ice cubes up and down the barrel to cool it. Then give it a couple minutes for the temp to equalize throughout the barrel. Works fantastic when working up loads and have lots of loads lined up to shoot.
Posted By: RugerM77270 Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Originally Posted by battue
A .22lr.

I've heard of some who while hunting prairie dogs have a contraption setup that runs water thru the barrel of one rifle to cool it off and use another in the interim.

Saw a guy at the range that did that last summer. He had a barrel holder attached to the hitch of his truck so he could stand them up straight and pour the cold water down the barrel.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Originally Posted by battue
A .22lr.

Battue - Isn't that what we do deer hunting here? smile
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I just turn the rifle upside down and rub an ice cube from the drink cooler up and down the barrel. Upside down (scope on the bottom) lets the water run down the barrel and not get under the stock. It melts the ice cube pretty fast but it definitely cools the barrel down quickly as well.

Been doing that in our 100+ degree summers for several years now and have never seen anything detrimental about it.

Your idea of keeping the ice in a plastic bag is probably even better.
Yea Rooster, I have to take a week off before the season and all I do is load ammo for the 3 days in W.V. and 2 weeks of Pa.
It's brutal. grin
Posted By: selmer Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I've got the contraption and it works well. I took an 8-10 ft. section of 3/8" ID clear hose, punched out a 2 liter pop bottle cap, epoxied the hose in and filled the bottle with cold water. I can run the hose into the chamber hold it tight and squeeze the bottle. A couple seconds of water passing through cools them FAST! I just bring two or three filled bottles and switch the hose to each one as I run out of water. I have the hose extended to the bottom so virtually all of the water is used in each bottle. I got the idea either from here or the castboolits site...
Posted By: Delta Hunter Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I just place a wet (but not dripping) rag/towel over the barrel. Cools it off pretty fast.
Posted By: Rolly Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I take one of my wife's plant misters to the range with me and as the barrel heats up, I "mist" the barrell. The heat dries the water quickly and the barrel cools quickly.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I see rusty chambers in some folks future.
Posted By: podunk Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
I cant fathom intentionally putting water on my rifle...
Posted By: rattler Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
I cant fathom intentionally putting water on my rifle...

then you prolly cant fathom hunting in SE Alaska or the PNW.....just cause you put water on steel dont mean it will rust....
Posted By: shortside Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Another trick is compressed air in a can from the office supply store to get everything dried out and ready for the next shot.

Works good if if you invert it, too, as it is really cold!
Posted By: Jamie Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
A wet rag from the drink cooler works prety well.
Posted By: podunk Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
Its just not something Id subject my rifles too. Maybe its all in my head.
Posted By: GuyM Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/21/10
So, what do you do when it rains? Grab the umbrella to protect the rifle?
Posted By: podunk Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10

No sir, I understand the oddity of my logic but it makes sense to me.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I know this method works, and so does throwing them in a creek.

[Linked Image]

Is this where cryogenics originated?
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
When it rains, 2 liters of water doesn't go down my barrel...
That is also true, I make an attempt to cover my rifle, besides rain is not intentional.
Posted By: 721_tomahawk Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
I think I would use all water on the outside of the barrel....
Posted By: rattler Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
dump water down the barrel.....spray out the remainder with compressed air and than immediately shoot it some more.....moisture doesnt stay in the barrel long enough to do anything.....wouldnt recommend doing it right before storage but if your gonna run more rounds through it right away it will not stay in there long enough to hurt anything.....
Posted By: luke Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
The wet towel kept in a cooler works well.
Posted By: selmer Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
I run the water down the barrel, run a dry patch and keep shooting. Carbon build-up is minimal, and the continued heat from shooting dries everything out. I've never had a rusty chamber and doubt I ever will. Trust me, it's all in your head. I'm much more leary of putting water on the outside of my barrel where it runs down in between the stock, potentially causing rust there, not to mention the possibility of swelling a wood stock if it's not sealed well enough.
Anytime one of my guns gets wet I completely dissasemble it and dry/ rem oil everything.
I do the same, moisture can get into enclosed trigger mechanisms and cause problems down the road.

If you can keep it out of there it may be ok. I just don't want to get tiny specs of rust going in my bore. I don't have a bore scope to check for this and by the time I can see it it's too late.

Water in itself won't immediately cause rust, but mix it with powder residue and I think it probably would accelerate the process.

JM
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
....only Brownings rust. grin
JM I guess I might not shoot high enough volume to do this anyway, it would take alot to override my brains natural training of how to treat a rifle.
If all their rifles did it wouldnt hurt my feelings..
I've got 7 Brownings that don't have any rust on them. one is 45 yrs old and has been used plenty. Of course, I don't bath my guns in water either. wink
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I've got 7 Brownings
I'm sorry!
[Linked Image]
JM whyd you have to confess that? I was just starting to think you were a fellow with good sense... LOL
You may graduate to them yet. There is still hope for you, even if you do live in a state that is scared to let you hunt with a rifle.
And shoot what? a remington or ruger? I like to hit what I aim at. LOL.
Remington John.....Remington.

Get it right.

*grin*
Ha, Im a remington 700 man, the only beefs I have with brownings are the fact that very few aftermarket parts are available and their damn chambers are tight.
The chambers are on the tight side. Don't reach in the old pocket and drop a bullet in the chamber with lint on it....

I like the Rem. Custom shop AWR, but for that kind of money, I could have most any rifle I wanted.
And yet you settle for a Browning....
The price of Browning rifles is also an issue with me. I can build a semi custom 700 ADL for the price of an A bolt.
I don't know how much customizing you can do to a 700 for around $700 but from my experience they need about twice that before you have something worth shooting.

Tom, you are beyond educating. You are a slug-gun hunter for crying out loud.. wink

From this moment forward, you will be known as slugo. grin
Not anymore buddy boy!

358 WSSM...................
You'll shoot your eye out slugo...

Plus that morphadite thing will barely have the speed of a slug. cry
JM I guess I might not shoot high enough volume to do this anyway, it would take alot to override my brains natural training of how to treat a rifle.

come up here......on one of the days it aint raining* and i can change that grin enough ground squirrels and jacks around this year to smoke the barrel of most anything......

*there is a mobility issue not a gun issue attached to the rain qualifier.....the [bleep] clay around here is slick as snot when wet....
I just finished an ADL that weighs less than 7 pounds and after scope, Ti takeoff stock and various tinkerings of my own (only cost materials) Im at $600.
and you bought it new?
Used, but IMO the older barrels are better anyway. I got a steal on the rifle for sure, $250.
That don't count. You were comparing the cost of a new Browning with a used remmy.

You cheated. grin
My used remmy shoots as good as a new browning, If you aint cheating you aint trying anyhow. I wish I could compare to the cost of a customized browning but nobody makes a damn thing for them.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
Like Steelhead, this works great on those hot August days....(grin)

[Linked Image]
I would only do that with a condom on the barrel... lol
aint seen that in August......June yes, August no......atleast not at lower elevations grin
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
For some reason "plastic jugs" had me thinking of female enhancement. I never would have suspected a running Remington vs Browning debate.

Guess I'm getting old.
Lol, Im young and everytime I hear jugs my thoughts go south. We just easily wander off topic.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
You musta been out of town when we got that freak snowstorm last August?????

My rubbers are just barely long enough to cover the barrel....(laughin')
My used remmy shoots as good as a new browning, If you aint cheating you aint trying anyhow. I wish I could compare to the cost of a customized browning but nobody makes a damn thing for them.

That's because they are built to shoot straight, no customization is needed.

Unlike a remington or ruger, you don't have to spend 1k in aftermarket parts to make it do what it should have done in the first place. grin

Have you ever thought of why a cottage industry in replacement barrels, stocks and triggers has sprung up for remmy and ruger rifles?

hmmmm. wink
Posted By: RickF Re: Shooting Plastic Jugs - 06/22/10
I have used a wet towel a fair bit; it works well when I can't find a snowbank!
Ahh different strokes for different folks. Im glad there are people out there who like big bore rifles, leupold scopes, browning rifles and AR's because I will always have someone to debate.
© 24hourcampfire