Home
picked up my remmy 7600 in 35 whelen. blueing is still very good as is the stock. I had not seen the gun for 3 months since I paid for just had not picked it up and in the end it had to be shipped. anyway putting a weaver K3 on it for a scope. the gun did not have the factory sights. where can I get replacements or even better yet something better for iron sight? I bought the gun for deep wood whitetail huting as a stalking rifle. I was thinking of cutting the barrel back to 20 inches but it seems pretty handy right now with the 22 inch barrel.
Brownells and Midway USA.
PM me if you're interested in a new Ghost ring that I took off a 7600 for a good price.
I know where there's a 7400 carbine in 35 Whelen. I never saw one before this. I don't think they made many 7400 Whelens, particularly carbines.

Yes, can't go wrong with Brownell's or Midway for the needed sights.
Most gunsmiths have boxes of Remington sights.

WN
Originally Posted by Big_Redhead
I know where there's a 7400 carbine in 35 Whelen. I never saw one before this. I don't think they made many 7400 Whelens, particularly carbines.

Yes, can't go wrong with Brownell's or Midway for the needed sights.

They made them in the mid 90's I believe. Most came with a Remington factory hard case, a spare mag, and some cleaning tools. The 7600 came the same way. I missed a cherry of deal on one in .35w in a 7600 when I was 19. I still kick myself for thingking about that one too long. I came back to get it as they were wrapping it up for a fine wife of some husban. wink It was silly cheap, like $300. Just sat on the shelf too long for their liking I guess.

Probably had the barrel bobbed unless the box comes with it to prove otherwise - or it says carbine on the barrel. I don't think they made any 7400 carbines in 35 Whelen. I bought a rifle version and so did a friend of mine. No carbine option existed back then that I recall.

However Remington does suprise from time to time with their "under the radar" releases like my 7600 pump carbines in 35Whelen - one wood stocked and one synthetic - purchased new and several years apart. Here's a box end from one.
[Linked Image]
I have the 7600 35 Whelen 22" rifle model.

I know I could have the barrel cut but I would much rather have the factory 18" barrel with carbine stamped on the barrel. Those are rare as heck.
When did they make those and why didn't I know about it? That's my dream rifle!

However Remington does suprise from time to time with their "under the radar" releases like my 7600 pump carbines in 35Whelen - one wood stocked and one synthetic - purchased new and several years apart. Here's a box end from one.
[Linked Image] [/quote]

When did they make those and why didn't I know about it? That's my dream rifle!
It could well be a Grice Wholesale spec run. For years they've done up special runs of 7600s, as well as 700s. I bought a carbine 7600 in .35 Rem a few years back.
Got hooked on these 7600's in 2003. Started off with the 35 Rem carbine which has become my go to woods rifle. Killed three bucks with it including two good ones.

Since then I have added 7600's in 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08, 30-06 carbine for my son and 35 Whelen.

Had one in 25-06 in the black/gray laminate but traded it for the 257 Roberts. (hated the stock) But I always regretted loosing the caliber so I put a deposit on the "cool blue" 25-06 the Grices is doing now. This time I will put a walnut stock on it and sell the laminate.

I would love a factory 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen carbine.
My 35 Whelen carbines were NOT Grice's specials. Bought them NIB here in Canada at two different dealers - two years apart.

Past Grice's specials have been listed on Remington's site and on Grice's. They only made a special 35cal run of 35Rem carbines (not 35Whelen) for Grices - according to what is published anyway.

Here's the other 35Whelen Carbine box end - the one I bought earlier this year.

[Linked Image]
And a from few years before.
[Linked Image]
I'm astounded that these 35 Whelen carbines even exist...More surprised that I've never ran across one, and I have looked!...What distributor handled these, if you don't mind me asking?
Originally Posted by BigK
I'm astounded that these 35 Whelen carbines even exist...More surprised that I've never ran across one, and I have looked!...What distributor handled these, if you don't mind me asking?
..........Can`t say anything about specific distributors, but Remington did list the 35 Whelen chambered in their 750 semi-auto carbines w/18.5" barrels awhile back. And if I remember, they showed the 7600s as well in the 35 Whelen.

Probably both discontinued by Remy. 30-06 and 308 are now listed in the 750 and 7600.
There was someone here from Germany or France, I belive, that has a 7600 35 Whelen Carbine. I sure would love to get my hands on one as well. I have one 35 Whelen 7600 that I have been tempted to give a chop job to.

Dale

I was astounded too. They are definitely uncataloged. I also have had my ear to the rail for years on these 35s and others.

The one I bought a few years ago was a Shot Show thing where a small number of dealers/retailers got together and had a few (???) copies made. They have the wood stocks.

The one I got this year (composite stock), two different Canadian retailers had the exact same model at the same time - but again uncataloged and not even in there own store advertising. I was told they were a few from a small European bound shipment. That fits with the comments above about France or Germany BTW.

Both Canadian retailers I purchased from buy directly from Remington.
There are Rem 750 35 Whelen Carbines (the newer version of the 7400), and can be found quite cheap on the net. I got mine for $489 new.

You can find them under $500 new in box:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/97492676...on_750_Woodsmaster_Carbine_35_Whelen.htm

I'm not associated with the above selling shop, I've bought several rifles from them before and they are good people.

I would love a factory 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen carbine.

That's what I did, I had a Rem 750 308 carbine bored up to 358 Win. smile A 35 Whelen in a 18.5" barrel really barks LOUD, but the 358 Win Carbine is just about perfect blend of 35 bore, knock-down power, shootability, mild recoil, in a handy carbine package. I topped it off with a Leup 1.5-5x heavy duplex. Nice.

I had a M7600 35 Rem rechambered to 358Win, cut to 19.5" and topped with a VX3 1.5-5X.

WN

Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
I had a M7600 35 Rem rechambered to 358Win, cut to 19.5" and topped with a VX3 1.5-5X.

WN

That is perfection!!!
It may not happen, but I put in my plea to Grice's Gun Shop for a 7600 35 Whelen carbine. Stranger things have happened.

Dale
I'd sure like to see a factory .358Win carbine.
I have emailed Grices about doing a 7600 carbine in 358 Winchester several times. Only once did I recieve a reply just thanking me for my interest.

At present I have 7600's in 6mm Remington, 257 Roberts, 7mm-08 Remington, 35 Remington carbine and 35 Whelen. My son has a 7600 in 30-06 carbine.

I put a deposit on the 7600 "cool blue" in 25-06 with Grices a few weeks ago. I had a 7600 in 25-06 in the other gray/black laminate that I also purchased from Grices but hated the stock and used it in a trade for the 257 Roberts. This time I will replace the laminate stoch for a walnut stock and forearm.

I also have a 7400 in 30-06, 7400 280 carbine and a 750 in 35 Whelen carbine.

I shot the 750 yesterday with 250 grain Remington soft points, older ammo, at both 50 and 100 yards. I am taking it on a boar hunt at the end of the month. Nice gun but does not handle as well as the 7600 carbines. It's heavy and not as well balanced. But it put both shots touching each other in the bull. I traded a Remington SP-10 for it from budsgunshop.com. I was never going to use the SP-10 again.

The 35 Rem carbine has become my go to gun. I shot three bucks, two good ones, good ones for where I hunt, with it and love the way it carries.

But as most of us always looking for something new a factory 358 or 35 Whelen carbine would be very cool. Not needed but very cool.

My only hope for a 35 Whelen carbine would be the fact that they have sold alot of 35 Whelens and others have had the carbine made before. If they were to make one, I'd be first in line to get one!

Dale
The Cabelas in Buda Texas had one in the used rack a few weeks ago. IIRC they wanted $450 for it.
ran into this the other day in a small country gunshop in PA for a good price. NIB, assembled Feb 25th 2002. original receipt in the box was from 2003. from what i gather its ultra rare.

[Linked Image]

bottom is the whelen. top is a Grice special 35 rem. note the buttstock difference.

[Linked Image]

fancy grip cap.

[Linked Image]

different checking pattern than i've seen on any 7600.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The wood fit and finish on this one is nicer than any 7600 i've seen. it must have been made for export or something. the other one earlier in this thread was made in 2004 so somebody must be commissioning runs on these.

anybody have any info on these things?

Here is a "Factory" Carbine Whelen that I found NIB!!
Got it off a guy that had bought it in 04 or 05 as a Special Run for Vegas Shot Show.
Mounted a Vx-3 20mm on it and drilled it for a sling, the rest is history!!
Again...Bipod for picture purpose only!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
picked up my remmy 7600 in 35 whelen. blueing is still very good as is the stock. I had not seen the gun for 3 months since I paid for just had not picked it up and in the end it had to be shipped. anyway putting a weaver K3 on it for a scope. the gun did not have the factory sights. where can I get replacements or even better yet something better for iron sight? I bought the gun for deep wood whitetail huting as a stalking rifle. I was thinking of cutting the barrel back to 20 inches but it seems pretty handy right now with the 22 inch barrel.

I put a williams rear sight on my 7600 and left the front sight alone. I do pretty well with it.

-1 on cutting the barrel down. Is having that barrel shorter going to make you that much stealthier/mobile in tight cover? Just a way to make the rifle louder and it would shorten your sight radius to boot. 22" is a good length in my opinion.
for me its not so much about stealthiness,its more about the handling qualities of the carbines. comparing my pump carbines to my pump rifles and there is a world of difference in handling to me. i don't buy rifles anymore, just carbines, 18.5" and less. plus where i hunt in PA a lot of times i am sitting against a tree with brush around me and having the shorter barrels makes a difference when swinging the gun around. several of the guns i bought lately for me and my boys are sporting 16.5" barrels, ruger frontiers and marlin 336 SDT. they are just the ticket. and don't get me started on the old remington carbines. i have remington factory carbines in models 760, 141 and 14. i love them. so much so that i will be selling most of my rifles and putting the cash towards carbines.
Originally Posted by bridgetowner
Got it off a guy that had bought it in 04 or 05 as a Special Run for Vegas Shot Show.

[Linked Image]

hey bridgetowner, what mon/year was your whelen carbine made? how does it shoot? i will be putting a Tally low mount on mine and a cheap 3-9x40 for a while and then probably a good quality 2-7x32 when the money is right.
I was only a few hours behind you on that gun.

I was alerted about that gun on the PA hunting forums.

I'm glad that someone else like me got that gun rather than someone who would not appreciate what they found.

Good luck and enjoy your find.

I want a 358 Win carbine or a 35 Whelen carbine.

And like you I realy like the carbine better than the rifles.

Mike.
Originally Posted by mike103
I was only a few hours behind you on that gun.

I was alerted about that gun on the PA hunting forums.

I'm glad that someone else like me got that gun rather than someone who would not appreciate what they found.

Good luck and enjoy your find.

And like you I realy like the carbine better than the rifles.

Mike.

thanks, thats where i heard about it too. i called him as soon as he opened on monday and bought it sight unseen. when i picked it up he had a 35 rem factory carbine there too NIB that he actually wanted $50 more for than the Whelen and i almost bought it as well but i already have one. he has a nice selection and good prices. i could spend some money in that place. the whelen will be a treasured part of my collection and only go in the woods on nice days. i am ordering Tally low mounts for it and putting a cheapo 3-9x40 on it for now until i can afford a good scope. look on HPA for a range report in the next few weeks.
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
I was thinking of cutting the barrel back to 20 inches but it seems pretty handy right now with the 22 inch barrel.

I had one cut back to 20". It handled perfectly and would be my first choice in a bbl length in a 7600. I've had lots in 22" and 18.5".

Mike.

ya, if they ever make a 7600 carbine in 358 win, i will buy one pronto. i love the 35's.
Originally Posted by rem141r

[Linked Image]

hey bridgetowner, what mon/year was your whelen carbine made? how does it shoot?

I'm not exactly curtain, I would have to check again.

bottom is the whelen. top is a Grice special 35 rem. note the buttstock difference.

[Linked Image]

Also note the sweet "see-thru's"
rem141r
- glad you snagged that 7600 35Whelen Carbine. Hope I get to read your range report on th HPA forum. Many don't believe they even exist. I have one like yours that was made some years later as you have noted already. Mine is the same order number as yours but was made in December 2004 I think. It has the same grip cap and a J lock. Here are both box ends again for comparison displayed together - first mine then yours.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And once again here's my synthetic stocked version box end with the better "Non-MonteCarlo" shaped stock. It was made in December 2009 and purchased new by me in April 2010 and is unfired so far.
[Linked Image]

So we have Remington making non cataloged 35Whelen 7600 Carbines in 2002, 2004, and 2009.

good info whelen, thanks. i wonder when bridgetowner's was made? i may contact remington to see if they will give me any info on who is commissioning these.
i wonder when bridgetowner's was made?

Pretty sure its the same batch as WhelenB's as it is identical(all marking,ect)
Next time I get a chance I will write the numbers down and check!!
Originally Posted by tzone

[Linked Image]

It's funny but I stopped using "see thru's" many years ago but when I got the 35 Rem carbine I put them on it and it just looks and feels right.

if you have the box it will have the day/mo/year code.
[/quote]

It's funny but I stopped using "see thru's" many years ago but when I got the 35 Rem carbine I put them on it and it just looks and feels right. [/quote]

me too. it seemed like every remington pump in PA had them at one time. i put them on that 35 carbine with a cheapo 4x scope and i'll tell you what, it is ideal. i pick it up and i have full FOV right from the first cheek plant, no moving around. and it is a one-holer at my 40 yard range. i call that 35 the "Meatmaster" as i have shot an 8 point with it almost every time i take it out.

if you have the box it will have the day/mo/year code.

Took a Pic of my box tonight...Here it is!!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Whelen_B
[quote]The one I bought a few years ago was a Shot Show thing where a small number of dealers/retailers got together and had a few (???) copies made. They have the wood stocks.

Pretty Sure Mine came from the exact store yours did!!
Epps???
Pretty Sure Mine came from the exact store yours did!!
Epps???

Yep Epps - there were only 4 or 5 available I recall. Sold fast. I bought mine sight unseen over the phone. Their new gun inventory number on your box end is only 2 off mine. Same order number and barrel code - made Dec 2004. They are nearly blood kin. laugh
[/quote]
Yep Epps - there were only 4 or 5 available I recall. Sold fast. I bought mine sight unseen over the phone. Their new gun inventory number on your box end is only 2 off mine. Same order number and barrel code - made Dec 2004. They are nearly blood kin. laugh [/quote]
Yes Sir, Thats what I thought!!
I bought mine off a fellow from Ontario(he bought 2 out of the 4 or 5)...He had it 5 yrs and never fired it!!
In the past year and a half that I've owned it I put a couple boxes through it...Absolutly Love It!!!
And Would Never Ever Considering Even Thinking About Selling It!! wink
those two guns were both made on the same day. 27 dec 2004. like long lost twins...

Mike.

ya, if they ever make a 7600 carbine in 358 win, i will buy one pronto. i love the 35's.

Hey guys, if you want a 358 7600 bad enough just make yer own. I got tired of wating for Remington to do it, so I just recently did it myself.

Started out on finding a really good deal on a 7600 22" 243. I chopped and recrowned the barrel on my lathe at 18.5". Sent it off to have it bored up to 358 Win ($225) and just got it back at Christmas. Santa didn't put a big red bow on it, but I'm ok with that..... Topped it off with Talley LW's and a Leup VX3 1.5-5x Heavy Duplex.

I LOVE how it feels from tinkering with it around the basement. Light and compact. Haven't had time to get to the range yet for sight in, but hopefully in the next few weeks.

This makes a nice combo to the 750 Remington 358 I have. Now I have an semi-auto and pump in 358 carbines. Rifles make me happy. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
those two guns were both made on the same day. 27 dec 2004. like long lost twins...

But the part I cant figure out is if they were made in late 04 why werent they on store shelves til mid 2006??? confused confused

But the part I cant figure out is if they were made in late 04 why werent they on store shelves til mid 2006??? confused confused

probably sat in some gun dealers back room for a year and a half. also, i noticed on all our boxes that there is French wording for the trade mark, etc. do all the new remington boxes have that i wonder? i don't have one to compare it to. if not, that could be a sign that they were made for export to France.
its in french and spanish actually on those whelen boxes.

probably sat in some gun dealers back room for a year and a half. also, i noticed on all our boxes that there is French wording for the trade mark, etc. do all the new remington boxes have that i wonder? i don't have one to compare it to. if not, that could be a sign that they were made for export to France.

I will check my new 700 and 870 boxes later today and let you know!!
I hunt in NE Pa. and the campground owner where we stay told me he had one of the Carbines in his hands...money in his pocket...and passed...and is kicking himself to this day.

He has been trying to talk me out of my 600/.350 Carbine ever since...

Problem with all the .35s, other than the .35 Remington, is that a manufacturer will put them out as a cataloged item and then two years later drop the cambering because of lack of sales... Look at Ruger with the 77MKII and Hawkeye...they made them in .350 RM, .358 Win. and .35 W and no one buys them..

Bob

I will check my new 700 and 870 boxes later today and let you know!!

Checked my new remington gun boxes and they are the identical labels as the older ones on here!!
ah well there goes that theory. i wonder if remington would give any info out on those whelens?

[Linked Image]

No offense meant. It's a running joke with the WI guys. The 7600 is a popular gun there, and my favorite. A large percent of them have the see thru's on it.

It's funny but I stopped using "see thru's" many years ago but when I got the 35 Rem carbine I put them on it and it just looks and feels right.
Originally Posted by BlackFrog

Started out on finding a really good deal on a 7600 22" 243. I chopped and recrowned the barrel on my lathe at 18.5". Sent it off to have it bored up to 358 Win ($225) and just got it back at Christmas. Santa didn't put a big red bow on it, but I'm ok with that..... Topped it off with Talley LW's and a Leup VX3 1.5-5x Heavy Duplex.

I LOVE how it feels from tinkering with it around the basement. Light and compact. Haven't had time to get to the range yet for sight in, but hopefully in the next few weeks.

The problem is finding a good gun smith that will take that much metal out of the barrel.
The problem is finding a good gun smith that will take that much metal out of the barrel.

www.35caliber.com Jesse Ocumpaugh. I asked him beforehand about whether it matters to him if I find a 243 or a 308 7600 for going to 358. He said it makes no difference to him, same price. I can find better deals on 243 7600's than I can on 308 7600's..... $225 for the rebore and that includes the return shipping back to you.

This is now the second gun I've had him bore up to 358, and I'll be sending him more this year.
Hey guys, if you want a 358 7600 bad enough just make yer own. I got tired of wating for Remington to do it, so I just recently did it myself.

Very good - I applaud your efforts and good results. I like the idea of your conversions to 358Win. I'm pleased I bought 35Whelen carbines myself (lucked out). You still carry around a long action for your pump and semi conversion - just an observation not criticizing. But very sweet 358Win projects - both of them.

BTW does JES make the neck and throat cut 4u also - so you just need to reinstall the barrel to your index marks?
Originally Posted by Whelen_B
Very good - I applaud your efforts and good results. I like the idea of your conversions to 358Win. You still carry around a long action for your pump and semi conversion - just an observation not criticizing. But very sweet 358Win projects - both of them.

Yup, so do the 7600's in 35 Rem, 308, 243, 7mm-08, etc... no getting around that I guess. I'm quite ok with that. wink Besides, what other guy in camp is going to have a 358 pump? smile

BTW does JES make the neck and throat cut 4u also - so you just need to reinstall the barrel to your index marks?

Jesse prefers that you send him the entire rifle, not just the barrel. That way he can function test everything before sending it back.
© 24hourcampfire