Home
Posted By: outdoorcali Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
I like to check out other peoples deer rifle set ups. Post some pictures of your favorite deer rifle and a tad bit of info (scope, caliber, etc....) And the terrain that you hunt in.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
run of the mill wood/blue ruger mk2, 270 win. with 3x9x40 leupy. it has been bedded, floated, and trigger adjusted to 3 lbs. i hunt soybean fields and the surrounding woods, deer in the mtns of co and nm, as well as elk in these same locations.
Right now, I'd say my "favorite" is still my CZ-550 in 6.5x55 SE (blued/walnut) with a Leupold FX-3 6x42mm using Norma Oryx 156 gr. factory ammo. I mainly hunt thick wooded areas of Georgia and the deer aren't all that large. I hunt from a portable tree stand 9 times out of 10.

I will say though, it's going to get its merit tested this year. Being that I have my first custom in hand and 2 semi-customs ready to try out as well...

We'll see if it hangs on as top dog or not...
Posted By: Toddly Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Mine is a Camo Steyr 7mm mag. with a Kahles 3-9 scope. I hunt in WV mainly. I will see if I have a photo.
Posted By: Ready Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Brno ZKK 600 with Weaver K 2,5x20 in QD - Warne Mounts

[Linked Image]

Folding aperture rear sight
[Linked Image]

Terrain - woodland (Pic on a roe deer just after kill from 8 meters)
[Linked Image]

Cartridge?

7x57 Mauser

smile
Ruger M77 Mark II 270 win. Floated and trigger lightened easy .75 MOA
Bushnell 3200
130 gr. GMX, TTSX, Interbonds, Prohunters, PowerMax PHP, haven't decided which to use they all shoot great.
I mostly hunt fire breaks between really thick sections of pines. This deer is on one of those breaks.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by cmg
Brno ZKK 600 with Weaver K 2,5x20 in QD - Warne Mounts

[Linked Image]

Folding aperture rear sight
[Linked Image]

Terrain - woodland (Pic on a roe deer just after kill from 8 meters)
[Linked Image]

Cartridge?

7x57 Mauser

smile

CMG....looks like New Hampshire where I hunt, NASTY!
Posted By: viking Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
If I could figure that out I might sell half dozen favorites rifles. LOL. But I keep leaning toward a lever, BLR (30-06) or 250-3000.
Posted By: buffybr Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
My favorite deer rifle for the past 30 years is my .257 Ackley. It's a Mauser Mark X barreled action that I put in a Fancy walnut stock from Fajen back in the late 70's. The action and barrel channel are glass bedded, and the barrel is free floating. It's topped with a Leupold 6x scope. My hunting loads shoot 117 gr Sierra GameKing or 120 gr Hornady HP bullets.

I've killed a Mule or Whitetail deer and a Pronghorn Antelope with it almost every year, plus 3 Bighorn rams, a Dall ram, a Mountain Caribou, and a 6 pt bull Elk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My fav caliber is 358.

My newest gun (although brand new) has become my favorite immediately. I had a Remington 308 carbine autoloader bored up to 358. smile

A 358 auto is just plain cool.... And any 358 is hell on deer.
Posted By: TDN Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Anything in .308 win. w/ a good 2-7x or 3-9x
Posted By: duxndogs Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
I hunt hardwood bottoms and beanfields and for years and years my go to gun has been a Remmy M7 in 7-08 with a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40. Hunted with my new Remmy 700 stainless 257 WBY with a Zeiss 3x9x40 this year and really liked it
Sorry. No pics............But here are the particulars, etc for my deer set-up

The same rifle that I use for hogs and elk, is also the same that is used for deer when I hunt deer. I hunt hogs (primarily more than deer), but do hunt deer in the same thicker terrain, sometimes going from stand to stand (climbing up and down them), as well as in the more open country, where longer ranged shots occur.

On hunts, I much prefer handier, shorter, but very powerful (for longer ranged open country shots) compact rifles, which can also double as truck guns. Although about 5" longer in OAL, my 375 Ruger Alaskan follows that same basic format.

For deer, I`d use my 300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact; w/2.5-10x32 Sightron S2 (mounted conventionally; primarily an open country scope), and for closer terrain versatility if warranted (say within 200 yards), I can also mount forward of the action, a faster target acquisition and aiming (both eyes open) 2.75x20 Burris scout scope on that same rifle.

Using 190 and 200 gr bullets for larger than deer game, and depending on the load, that `lil shorty Frontier, can give me 1800 lbs to nearly a ton of downrange energy at 500 yards. Using the lighter bullets, it is an extremely effective longer ranged deer rifle too.

Posted By: Ready Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
BlackFrog,

I hear you.

Have a Rem. autoloader as well - in plain '06, though. It just barely missed being mentioned.

[Linked Image]

1-3x20 Weaver on that on. 750 carbine in .30-06

(and a note for the wisecracks - I know, that is boar in the picture)
[Linked Image]

Ruger Hawkeye in .243 Win. with a Nikon Prostaff.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
mine is 3 #1 i use the most 270 win then 25-06 then a 250-3000 these are all savages this year going with this 250-3000 model 99 A with a 2x7x 28 leupold groups at 100 yards 1.250 with 100gr bullets the 2506 is a 3/4 inch gun as is the 270
223AI, Remington M7 action, Pac-Nor #1 tube at 21" ROT 1-8", Leupold 3-9x with M1 turrets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Husqvarna .30-06, Nikon Monarch 3-9.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ruger M77 .308 Norma Mag, Nikon Monarch 6x42, Mcmillan.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Ruger M77 MKII .257 Roberts currently with a VXIII 2.5-8
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by BlackFrog
My fav caliber is 358.

My newest gun (although brand new) has become my favorite immediately. I had a Remington 308 carbine autoloader bored up to 358. smile

You might like this then..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got the bolt fluted.
[Linked Image]

Cant say its my favorite tho as I just started using it last year.

But its a good start.

[Linked Image]
the 270win in a tikka t3 lite.

or maybe browning abolt in 7mm-08

or maybe savage 111 in 7mm mag

depends on the mood

i have killed way more with the 270,i've owned 8-10 different ones,savage,remington,tikka,encore,sako,winchester it doesn't make much differents what brand ,still a great deer caliber.
Posted By: 257James Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Ruger 1A Shilen 24" 1-9" 257 Roberts, Leupold VXII 2-7x33. It loves 100 gr Partitions
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by Tom264
My fav caliber is 358.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got the bolt fluted.
[Linked Image]

Cant say its my favorite tho as I just started using it last year.

But its a good start.

[Linked Image]

This gets my vote as the coolest wildcat on the CF....ingeneous. wink

My favorite deer rifle? Pre 64 M70 270 FW. Surprise! surprise!
Posted By: RickF Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/05/10
Originally Posted by BobinNH
My favorite deer rifle? Pre 64 M70 270 FW. Surprise! surprise!

Ditto!
Originally Posted by buffybr
My favorite deer rifle for the past 30 years is my .257 Ackley. It's a Mauser Mark X barreled action that I put in a Fancy walnut stock from Fajen back in the late 70's. The action and barrel channel are glass bedded, and the barrel is free floating. It's topped with a Leupold 6x scope. My hunting loads shoot 117 gr Sierra GameKing or 120 gr Hornady HP bullets.

I've killed a Mule or Whitetail deer and a Pronghorn Antelope with it almost every year, plus 3 Bighorn rams, a Dall ram, a Mountain Caribou, and a 6 pt bull Elk.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

very impressive
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
Late 1980's Custom Shop Remington 700KS with the Brown Precision stock chambered for the great .270WCF with a 24" tube. Sports a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 in Conetrol mounts.
Hunt thick mixed forest interspersed with logging clearcuts. Some places visibility is only feet and in others farther than I'd shoot.
This one.
Rem 700, restocked in claro. Blank turned by Milliron.
.270win, various Leupold scopes have been on deck. Right now she wears a 2.5x8.
Last critter she killed was a cow elk.
[Linked Image]
oh are we doing this again?

I'll go with this one today

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

probly change my mind tomorrow.

Remington M760 in 30-06 running 165gr Hornady SPs over H-4350. It works for me.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jamie Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
My favorite.
700 in 7mag. leupold 4.5x14x40 with M-1's in talley LW's
Clasic stock in grey/white/black swirl
[Linked Image]
Many choices here, but my favorite has to be my M700 Classic in 6.5X55, with 129 Horn. Interlocks pushed by H4350.

Second choice is Ruger Mark II in .270 Win., many load choices.
Hey Buffy I've got the twin to your stock on my custom 264 win mag..actually it's not on the gun just replaced it with a composite to lighten it up...side by side from a distance I bet you couldn't tell them apart...will see if I can get a picture out to you one of these days..Regards.....FLEM
Posted By: Retsof Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the 270win in a tikka t3 lite.

or maybe browning abolt in 7mm-08

or maybe savage 111 in 7mm mag

depends on the mood

i have killed way more with the 270,i've owned 8-10 different ones,savage,remington,tikka,encore,sako,winchester it doesn't make much differents what brand ,still a great deer caliber.

+1. While I've not owned many 270 Win rifles, I started with that caliber and I'll end with it. For me it just seems to work great on deer and I've tried a bunch of different calibers over the years. My favorite rifle now is a Model 70 Classic that I bought used. Other than adding a Leupold 6 x 42 scope, I've done nothing to it. I use the regular Hornady 130 gr IB ammo in it, though this year I'm gonna try some Federal Power-Shok ammo with 150 gr RN bullet. With this being said, I'm eyeing my SIL's Savage 270 with Accutrigger. I bought it for him and put a Leupold 6 x 36 scope on it. However, he's in the Navy and lives out of town. So, I guess I'm gonna have to keep it broke in. With the exception of Hornady's LM 130 gr IB ammo, this rifle is very accurate with any load I've tried. No knock on the Hornady LM ammo, the Savage just doesn't like it. It shoots the regular Hornady 130 IB factory load great. Go figure.

Almost forgot, I hunt in SE MS, where in over 17 years of hunting in this location the farthest I've ever shot a deer is about 125 yards. There is a possibility of longer shots up to 350 yards, if a big buck is ever dumb enough to come out in the open next to the camp house. Thus far, none have cooperated.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
A tie depending on where I am hunting...both are REM600s one in 338Fed (top) and the other in 7mm-08.

[Linked Image]

RH
[Linked Image]

remington 760 in 6mm rem. 4.5x14 leupy. north central mo. crop fields and brushy draws.
Originally Posted by rockchucker
[Linked Image]

remington 760 in 6mm rem. 4.5x14 leupy. north central mo. crop fields and brushy draws.

That is a nice looking rifle. I could use something like that. Nice picture also.
wife is setting up a photo studio in the basement, so a thought i'd give her a subject to work with.

that 6mm is the cat azz around here.

deer ain't hard to kill, plus it's very accurate with factory ammo, and no recoil to speak of.
Now that's my kind of shooter!!!!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
Nice choices, is that a 308 or 358 Win lever?

Himmel, gotta love those handles on those 600s and good caliber choices.

Those 257s above are nice, the Mauser Ackley and the #1 Bob, very sweet.

Lastly, that NICE 358 WSSM, I have seen a few, very few, not much would be rarer to see in the woods, well outside IN.

Below is a Win M70, not mine, pic from another site: 358 Indiana Express by 'Big Earl' on AR site.

[Linked Image]

Below my be my current fav, a 6.5x55 w/Zeiss 4x and 130 ABs:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I did enjoy using my Dakota Predator last year on 2 deer, its a 6mmBR.

[Linked Image]

Not a great shot of the rifle, but it's PRETTY...and DEADLY ACCURATE as you can see. 95 BTs at around 2900 work!

My favorite is a Browning A-bolt Micro .308. Topped off with Talley Lightweights and a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8. I mainly hunt the mountains of east TN.
Posted By: Bobcat Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
Not fancy or expensive. I use my 7mm-08 Savage Model 14 American Classice with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40.

Bob

[Linked Image]
I'd have to say this one, a pre-'64 model 70 .30-06 with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 in Talley mounts.

[Linked Image]

I like 165 gr. bullets over IMR or H4350.
My fav caliber is 358.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OH MY!!!!
How cool is that?!?

.....damn you.. wink

Originally Posted by 65BR
Nice choices, is that a 308 or 358 Win lever?

[Linked Image]

If you was talkin to me that's just a plain ole boring .308 grin

I love that M70 you have posted there.
Current favorite is a Winchester/USRA 70 stainless Ultimate Shadow in 25 WSSM.

The Rifle:

Barreled Action = factory specs stainless Winchester/USRA 70, 22" barrel.
Bottom Metal = factory specs alloy Winchester/USRA 70.
Stock = McM Compact.
Mounts = Warne 2-piece bases and rings.
Sights = Leupold VX2 2-7x33 matte finish with standard Duplex.

The Load:

Case = Federal 243 WSSM brass reformed to 25 WSSM.
Primer = CCI BR2.
Powder = H4895.
Bullet = Nosler 100 grain Partition.

Not everybody's cup of tea, but it works extremely well for me!

Current #2 is a Remington 600 in 257 Roberts.

The Rifle:

Action = factory specs Remington 600.
Bottom Metal = CVMW alloy unit.
Barrel = recycled factory specs Remington 700 BDL 22"
Stock = McM, apparently an older, discontinued, style that I bought here on 24HCF.
Mounts = Weaver 1-piece base with Warne rings.
Sights = Redfield Evolution 3-9x40 matte finish with standard Duplex.

The Load:

Case = Winchester/Olin.
Primer = CCI BR2.
Powder = H4895.
Bullet = Nosler 100 grain Partition.

The Roberts is about 250 fps slower than the WSSM, but it does its work at significantly lower pressures and the difference in performance between 3000 and 3250 fps within a couple hundred yards is probably not meaningful in most cases.

Jeff
Posted By: CRS Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
I don't have any pics of my goto deer rifle. It is a plain jane Remington stainless synthetic mountain rifle that came out in the early 90's. Topped with a Leupold 2.5-8 in ulta low rings. Nothing fancy, but it is the last rifle I would get rid of.

To sum it up in a short phrase, "It kills stuff"

I like to play with other guns, but I always take it out use it at least once a year. Typically, it kills stuff.

The caliber? 270 WCF IMO the best all around deer cartridge available.

Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
My vote goes to this 760 Carbine in 308. It belonged to my grandfather before I got it over 20yrs ago.

While I seem to be taking the 700/257Roberts out more, this one remains as my favourite and IMHO is just about perfect for most deer (& moose) hunting here in the east.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
My go- to rifle is a Sako AV 6.5x55 Fiberclass with Leupold 6x42, followed by my M70 Classic Fwt in 358 Win. with a Leupold 2-7.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
This 700 LA semi-custom in 257Roberts is a close runner up for favourite. It has since been changed to a faux TI.

[Linked Image]
For me it's my Savage Model 11 with a PAC-NOR .338 Federal barrel (3 groove, 1 in 10 twist).

Leupold VX-II 4-12x 40mm AO LR reticle, Burris Signature Rings, Warne 2 piece bases.

[Linked Image]

100 yard group (0.634 inches)

[Linked Image]

Bullet: Hornady 200 gr. SP Interlock
Powder: Hodgdon H4895 47.8 grs.
Primer: CCI-200
Case: Remington .308 Winchester Reformed
LOAL: 2.895 (2.228 base to ogive with Stoney Point)
Avg. Velocity: 2636.69 fps
Spread: 20.63 fps
Std Dev: 8.48
Had a Micro in 7/08, prefer the newer hunter satin finish, the gloss was too pretty for me to hunt! VERY handy and accurate, Nice glass - Zeiss...

Nice rifles above, Pac-Nor sure knows how to make accurate rifles, even if it is a 338 FEDERAL wink What taper sir? Nice shooting, perfect load - those 200s.

Northern Dave, yeah, I really drooled when I saw that pic I posted and saved it, but the Ti in this thread is a nice example also. Never knew why nobody uses the 338 'Whisper', it's an SSK inspired round on the 7BR. A '358 Whisper' might be a woods range little thumper also, but the WSSM version is surely packing more lbs wink !

Oh, here is the data on the 338 Whisper if anyone wants, 180 at 2544 mv, not bad. http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_bw.asp?CaliberID=389&BulletWeight=180

Glad I am not ltd. to Indiana laws, but I'd be happy to hunt with what some of the Looney's there use!

Himmel, if you read this, do tell us your experience w/338 Fed (inc. accuracy) and how it puts game down compared to your 7/08. Bullet info would be nice also-thanks.
Originally Posted by Delta Hunter
I'd have to say this one, a pre-'64 model 70 .30-06 with Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 in Talley mounts.

[Linked Image]

I like 165 gr. bullets over IMR or H4350.

I always wanted one of those, it is in my favorite caliber too. It is the perfect deer rifle. Beautiful rifle. Love it.
Bunch of good looking hunting rigs folks cool

I have developed a shoulder problem that requires that I go to a lighter weight and lighter recoiling rifle this year and leave my beloved .280AI in the safe.

So my new favorites are this Kimber M-96 in 6.5 Swede (I have changed the scope to a 3-9 Nikon) with the 120 grain Nosler BT

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a Tikka T3 SS in .243 with a 3-9 Burris FFII with the Ballistic Plex Reticle. (No pictures yet) I haven't settled on the deer load yet but it shoots everything from the 70 grain NBT, 85 TSX, and 95 grain NBT into small groups.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I haven't settled on the deer load yet but it shoots everything from the 70 grain NBT, 85 TSX, and 95 grain NBT into small groups.

85 TSX grin
This is probably my favorite - a Savage 99EG in 300 Savage with a Marbles tang sight. Quick handling and accurate enough for eastern Kansas farm fields and wooded areas.

[Linked Image]
Hillbilly, shot one of those Kimbers, as well as owned 3 original 96s, two I sporterized. Don't let anyone tell you varmint bullets as light as 85 Sierra's won't shoot in that fast 7.5" ROT bbl wink Even jumping far from the lands!

I endorse the 85 TSX as one of the best all around 6mm bullets, but also love the 95 BT (took 2 last year w/my 6mmBR), that Dakota puts them into 5/8" at 200 yds, w/o any load work. The 3rd one I like for deer, but not used yet, is the 90 gr Scirocco II.

I once killed a deer w/a 70 TNT from a 6BR, lung shot at 200 yds, he ran out of O2 in about 60 yds. My 2nd was using a 243 #1 RSI, about 42 yds (yeah, my buddy HAD to LRF it smile ) Dang near cut his head off - neck shot. SO, those little bullets CAN kill. My 6BR was done for 'research' while the 243 just happened to be sighted in w/them so it's what I used, as I want to know exactly where my bullet is going when I grab a rifle to hunt.
Posted By: luke Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/06/10
I just can't pick a favorite anymore. I'm like Jim Carmichal, which ever one I"m carrying that day is my favorite.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I haven't settled on the deer load yet but it shoots everything from the 70 grain NBT, 85 TSX, and 95 grain NBT into small groups.

85 TSX grin

You're so biased grin
Originally Posted by 65BR
Hillbilly, shot one of those Kimbers, as well as owned 3 original 96s, two I sporterized. Don't let anyone tell you varmint bullets as light as 85 Sierra's won't shoot in that fast 7.5" ROT bbl wink Even jumping far from the lands!

I endorse the 85 TSX as one of the best all around 6mm bullets, but also love the 95 BT (took 2 last year w/my 6mmBR), that Dakota puts them into 5/8" at 200 yds, w/o any load work. The 3rd one I like for deer, but not used yet, is the 90 gr Scirocco II.

I once killed a deer w/a 70 TNT from a 6BR, lung shot at 200 yds, he ran out of O2 in about 60 yds. My 2nd was using a 243 #1 RSI, about 42 yds (yeah, my buddy HAD to LRF it smile ) Dang near cut his head off - neck shot. SO, those little bullets CAN kill. My 6BR was done for 'research' while the 243 just happened to be sighted in w/them so it's what I used, as I want to know exactly where my bullet is going when I grab a rifle to hunt.

Thanks for the heads up on the light 6.5's. I'll give some a run when I get the next bullet test session finished.

The next 6.5 test session will be the 139 Lapua Scenar, 140 A-Max and the 123 Scenar and 123 A-Max.

I have a 6BR in the stable too and it really likes the 75 Hornady V-Max which I bet would do nasty things to a deer's lungs.
Terrain is everything from in-your-face thick to far-as-you-can-see, rifle is a Rem 700 25-06AI with 6x42 Leupy & 100 grn TSX's.
[Linked Image]

Top rifle: Colt Coltsman 243. Minox ZA5 3-15x42 The Coltsman has a Sako L579 action that Colt marketed in the 50s and 60s.

Middle rifle: Pre 64(1960) Win 70 in 264 Win Mag. Sightron SII Big Sky 3-12x42 in Talley LW lows.

Bottom rifle: Kimber 8400 Classic in 270 WSM. Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42
[Linked Image]

Top rifle: Kimber 84M Montana 308, Leupold VXII 2-7x33
Middle rifle: Savage 99M 308, Burris 1.5-5x20 in Redfield 1 piece
Bottom rifle: Win 70 WinLite in 30-06. Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 in Talley LW lows.

[Linked Image]

Ruger Hawkeye 358 with Zeiss 2.5-8x32 in Ruger low rings

Posted By: MagMarc Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/07/10
Original Remington Mountain Rifle 280
[Linked Image]

Lyman Great Plains 50
[Linked Image]
Posted By: blargon Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/07/10
This year, going to carry my Sako 85 .260 mostly...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: roundoak Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/07/10
You did not specify Mule or Whitetail deer.
Wisconsin Whitetail - Savage M99 250-3000 87gr Speer Hor-Cor - Leupold 1X4 scope - terrain, hardwood timber and brush.

[Linked Image]
Mule Deer - Ruger M77 ts 7x57 160gr Nosler Partition - Leupold 4X scope (O'Connor wrote that is all I need) - terrain, Missouri Breaks.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Horseman Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 08/07/10
Every year its hard not to keep coming back to the old faithfulls. 7mm 700 BDL and Ruger 77mkII in 270. No matter how many new "improvements" I add to the gun case I keep using these two.
Nice rifles above, Pac-Nor sure knows how to make accurate rifles, even if it is a 338 FEDERAL What taper sir? Nice shooting, perfect load - those 200s.

It's the same contour as a factory Savage Varmint barrel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: OLSKOOL Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/09/13
[Linked Image] this is the one i like best and i have many rifles. it is my model 8 rem. 32 remington made in 1927 with cast bullets.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/09/13
My fav caliber is 358.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OH MY!!!!
How cool is that?!?

.....damn you.. wink

Whilst that is cool .... a couple fellas here several years ago (shortly after WSM's came out) built a .257 WSM and one in .375 WSM .... The .375 Whizzum was THE coolest cartridge I ever saw.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/09/13
Oh .. don't know if I have a favorite ... been hunting with my MkV Deluxe in 7-08 the last few years. Talley LW's and a FX-III 6x42.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/10/13
Originally Posted by Horseman
Every year its hard not to keep coming back to the old faithfulls. 7mm 700 BDL and Ruger 77mkII in 270. No matter how many new "improvements" I add to the gun case I keep using these two.

horseman demonstrates high intelligence..... grin
Posted By: temmi Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/10/13
338WM MGA

Snake
Posted By: jt402 Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/10/13
.308 Browning Safari pencil barrel, on a small ring Mauser, that I bought some twenty years ago. It wears a 4X Zeiss also twenty years old, in Kimber rings and bases. It drives tacks!

If that one does not go with me, it is likely to be a Glenfield 30 in .30-30 that cost $112.95 plus tax, from a pawn shop in recent history. I did replace the cheap Bushnell with a 3X Weaver, but kept the Weaver mounts. Jack
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Your favorite deer rifle? - 05/10/13
this is a zombie thread from 2 yrs ago, but hey. Currently doing my deer slaying with a Savage 16 in .250 Sav

[Linked Image]

Couldn't ask for better results

[Linked Image]

I have a couple more to choose from for this fall, but none of them will work any better.
This is the newest fav. I , like many here would not have full safes if we could decide. FN Model 70 in 270WSM with a Vortex 4x12 parallax adj. Comes floated and I am working up loads if I could buy powder. Seems to like the Barnes pills...

It has not seen blood as it is too new but still I grab it more than any other rifle lately.

[Linked Image]

I hunt from the thick brush of the Oregon coast to the high desert of our eastern wilderness.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire