Home
Posted By: Lakerdreams browning x bolt help - 08/19/10
hi,
im 17years old and today i got my first hunting rifle got a browning x bolt in 338 win mag my dad said i should be good with recoil but im not sure to be honest what are ur browning x bolt experiences.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: browning x bolt help - 08/19/10
Dude, fess up your Dad did not start you off with a 338WM, your funnin with us.
Posted By: Lakerdreams Re: browning x bolt help - 08/19/10
he did.. lol i already shoot 300 win mag was manageable and i shoot skeet with a 12g he says im ok. but what are ur experiences
Posted By: jimmyp Re: browning x bolt help - 08/19/10
what will you be hunting this year?
Posted By: Lakerdreams Re: browning x bolt help - 08/19/10
i hunt moose in quebec
Posted By: bubbajay Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
Hi my name is Brandon and I shoot a Browning X Bolt.. smile I like mine its a 270 WSM and it can shoot better than I can, proved by one of my hunting buddies. I have had no issues or complaints, but the guys I hunt with are Browning friendly.
Posted By: Horseman Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
I've got 2 that are my favorites in the case. The inflex recoil pad is outstanding. That light of a rifle in 338wm could be a handful. Mine are both 270's. Very mild shooting. Browning uses a reverse comb and they are comfortable shooters for the most part.
Posted By: VAhuntr Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
Originally Posted by Horseman
I've got 2 that are my favorites in the case. The inflex recoil pad is outstanding. That light of a rifle in 338wm could be a handful. Mine are both 270's. Very mild shooting. Browning uses a reverse comb and they are comfortable shooters for the most part.

I was pleasantly suprised when I shot my X Bolt Hunter in 270 Win for the first time. Not sure if it's the recoil pad or a combination of the pad and stock design, but it does seem to work.
Posted By: r08ert209cali Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
.338 can be a handfull.Does it have a muzzle brake? Do you or your dad handload? If not I would get a good slip on recoil pad. To be honnest the more you shoot it the less the recoil will be as you get used to it. I myself started with a 7mm rem mag so everything there after was not to bad to get used to.

If you have shot a lot of 300 win mag then you will probabbly be fine.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
Luisss - your "first" rifle is a .338WM! What did you do to tick off Dad? Not wash the car or take out the trash? At least you know what a 12ga. feels like...that'll help. Homesteader.
Posted By: CLB Re: browning x bolt help - 08/20/10
If your dad is going to shoot the gun for you then he can say the recoil is fine. Otherwise, tell him to trade it for a 30-06. The moose will die just as quick....because you will be able to SHOOT the thing..
Posted By: mailmanmark Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
+1 on bubbajay. I have the Stainless Stalker and it shoots up a storm. No issues other than good. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
Luiss
Your father should be taken out back and horse-whipped!

That borders on child abuse.

A typical 270 has much less than half the free recoil energy of the 338. There is simply no comparison.
Posted By: blargon Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
A lightweight .338WM will be a much different beast than the .300WM and 12ga you are use to. Punishing would be a good word.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
And a polite Canadian agreeing! wink
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
I've only shot one .338.

It provided the same sensation as shooting a Marlin 1895M in .450 Magnum.

I hope you are a big lad.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: browning x bolt help - 08/21/10
Luiss you and your dad need to go to the range and shoot this rifle. Have your dad help you get it zeroed.

Posted By: Lakerdreams Re: browning x bolt help - 08/22/10
last day me and my dad went to shoot it i shot 10 rounds and my dad shot 10 rounds to sight it in and to be honast it was not to bad i did not flich i think its the recoil pas on the x bolt the same that the browning cinergy has.
© 24hourcampfire