Home
Which rifle would you pick, it you had to choose between these to 308's, the Winchester M70 FWT or Ruger M77 Hawkeye? Winchester does not make a M70 Sporter in 308 so I would have to use the Featherweight, it list a 6.5lbs. The Hawkeye is 7lbs. This rifle would be for my teenage daughter. I don't want the rifle to be too heavy, but if it is too light it will kick too much. The caliber will be 308 Winchester. With 150 grain Hornady SST's or Nosler Ballistic Tip's antelope/deer and 150 grain Barnes TTSX's, Hornady GMX's or Nosler E-Tip's for elk/moose for an effective load that does not recoil too much. I would appreciate any opinions.
Take her to the gun emporium, let her handle both rifles, and then let her tell you which one she wants.
Tough choice, both are good rifles. I would favor the Winchester just because I like the way it looks, but I believe mathman has it right in letting her decide which one she likes best.
M70 FWT

You'll never wonder "what if?"

Either will do, I happen to like Ruger.

IMHO, getting the stock cut to a comfortable length will have the biggest effect on her enjoyment and results.

YMMV
Had the Hawkeye and have the Featherweight in 308. Go for ergos both rifles are solid.
Let her pick. I have a FWT in .30-06 that I love, I have a .260 Ruger M77 that I am beginning to love. I like the ergos on the M70 better, but I haven't handled a Hawkeye stock. Both actions are slicker than snot, I like the trigger ergos on the M70 because it's more straight back, she might like the more angled Ruger if she has smaller hands. You won't go wrong either way. That being said, my M70 kicks like a mule with stout 165 gr. loads, the .260 doesn't kick much with stout 130 gr. loads, and when the ranges get to 400 yds, there isn't much difference in trajectory or energy.
My fiancee negotiated that we needed a girlfriend/loaner rifle.
I agreed to a 7mm-08. Took her to the gunstore and she held everything. Squirmed when she held the Kimber and the Sako 85 but breathed when she decided the A7 fit the best. She really didn't like any barrel weight because her arm got tired. I think fit and balance are going to be the main considerations.
I noticed that the Mod 7 Rem .308 did not make your list? The .308 is my deer cartridge of choice, but in a Sav 99.
I agree, let her pick. If there is a concern on recoil, go down to a 7mm-08 or 260 rem.
Let her choose, not a bad choice to be made here both are fine rifles...............Good luck............Hillbilly.
The current production M70 will be much more accurate. You don't need premium bullets on deer sized game. Get some Core-Lokts. On the big stuff Nosler Partitions would be best.
Depending on her build I would say that the FWT will be just that little bit lighter to shoulder & carry without being too light, plus it has a proper recoil pad fitted - but the Ruger is a goodie too - as the others here have said - let her decide....
Originally Posted by Swampman700
The current production M70 will be much more accurate.

I call BS on that, but then again I actually own one of the rifles in question and owned the other.
I've owned both.
I think you haven't

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Both are great rifles, I agree with many, let her handle both. If you are not looking to restock or put much work in replacing a pad, the M70 has a big advantage in already having a pad that would actually absorb recoil.

Great cartridge choice BTW!
Keep in mind if you are going to shorten the length of pull a wood stock is far easier shorten than a synthetic one. I have a M70 stainless classic sporter 30-06 and the Hawkeye would be the winner for me, specifically a stainless model with the gray laminated stock.
Judging by the accuracy of the half dozen or so new model 70s I've seen, get the Featherweight. Karnis hooked me up with a 7-08 & it's pretty amazing, as are the various others in his stable. (Especially his new '06 All Weather..)

I was never a real Winchester fan, but these new SC built rigs have quickly changed my opinion. Though I'm still a 700 ho, for the most part.

Load a 130 grain TSX for low recoil & enjoy.
One of my favorited rifles was my Win M70fwt in .308. The fwt m70 and the Hawkeye are different guns all together. The ruger is bulkier and noticibly heavier. The winchester will have a smoother action, slimmer stock, slimmer safety.

I'd pick the Winchester between the two.
My thoughts:
1-Weight- Do not exceed 7!/2 lbs preferably 7 lbs all up (rifle scope, sling.-When handling the rifle make sure it includes the scope.
2-Start her out with "reduced power" ammo or if you reload, the lowest recommended charge of powder for that particular bullet weight.
I like them both, but I am a bit of a Ruger slut. Although, there is a M70 in my near future. whistle

Originally Posted by sactoller
I like them both, but I am a bit of a Ruger slut. Although, there is a M70 in my near future. whistle

I believe you'd like the new production M70......they are accurate.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Had the Hawkeye and have the Featherweight in 308. Go for ergos both rifles are solid.

There ya go, good advice.
I agree with your statement that these are two entirely different rifles, to be fair he should be considering the Hawkeye Ultralight vs the Featherweight, for Me I think I'd go with the Hawkeye Ultralight.......................Hillbilly.
I would personally choose the Ruger but either is a fine rifle.
Originally Posted by sactoller

WHAT?
M70.
If you don't let her pick it out, then you are picking it for yourself. (Not that there is any "shame" in that, I'm just sayin'.....)
I've owned both the ruger ultralight and the win. featherweight. I regret selling the featherweight, I honestly don't miss the ruger a bit. Although the ruger felt solid and had nice fit and finish, I could just never warm up to them once someone told me the receivers on the ruger m77's were cast.
Just shot my new hawkeye 308 all weather today and it honestly shot an average of 1.5" out of 10 groups while trying to work up a good load for it. I'm not very impressed with that kind of accuracy. I had high hopes for the mighty 308 seeing how everyone is always saying it is susposed to be a lot more accurate than the 06. I do like the ergonomics of the ruger hawkeye, so I'll keep plugging away at producing an acceptable load. The new winchesters are a thing of beauty and are fairly reasonable in the wood/blued featherweight model. I've seen them at the shows for as low as $550.00 which is a bargain. I think you'd be happier with the model 70 in terms of accuracy. BSA.
I agree with let her pick. I would also suggest that she work the action on both rifles. My M70 FWT (a New Haven build) is much smoother than my Hawkeye.

Ernie
Betcha she picks the Fwt - she'll go for the fancy checkering and the schnabel foreend. Plus, it may be a bit lighter.
what does she currently use that she shoots well, and is comfortable with???
Ummmmmmm opinions! Well, since I do own several Rugers and Winchesters in the models you mentioned, I would opt for the model 70 Winchester, accuracy can be hit or miss with either but I do believe she will like the handling of the model 70 better in the wood stock and thiner forearm, my daughter did anyway and so did my wife. I think the model 70 featheweight has cleaner lines and looks a bit more classy. The 1/2 pound difference will be a plus for her to shoot and tote around the fields and woods. Model 70 Winchester all the way!!!
© 24hourcampfire