Home
I just found one at a local store, NIB for $375. Now the question is, do I get dies and brass and add this to my arsenal? Do I get it re-chambered to 300WSM for easier brass and ammo availability? Or, do I get a nice custom barrel put on?

My first instinct is to just shoot the damned thing. Get dies and brass and go to load work up. I really would like a nice fluted barrel. If I go that route, what barrel contour, how many flutes, and what cartridge to chamber? I was thinking of a 24" #5 in 300WSM or 6.5WSM. Put it in a McMillan ADL style stock and end up with a nice packable unit that has some "cool" factor. What do you think? Would this end up under 7.5# with bases and rings?
I think the 300 SAUM would be a waste of time. The rifle alone is worth the asking price since it's new, but I'd screw on a new barrel that is chambered for 300 wsm.

And a #3 fluted stainless pac-nor with 6 flutes would be my choice.
Thanks Bear, I was just at the Pac-Nor's website. Does somewhere in the range of $800 sound about right for barrel and install?
Adding Whizzum case length,to a ShamWow magbox and paying extry to do same,ain't gonna getcha nothing but a bigger bill.

Stay where you is...because you are there..........

This mag box is the same length as my 270WSM box, both are 700's, so that makes sense. Now, the Model 7 is shorter if I recall.

The only reason I would change to a WSM is due to brass availability down the road. I don't shoot factory ammo, but there is a correlation between brass and ammo. The shop does have 3 boxes of Remington 150gr Core Lokt Ultra on the shelf. Not what I want to shoot, but it very well could be the only 300 Shamu ammo within 300 miles.

Should I run this thing as is, and then rebarrel later if the urge hits? I don't care about the performance differences between them. Even if it is only 50fps faster than a 30-06, I don't care.

Oh, where is Vince with his ShamWow when you need him?
I can't even imagine messing with it until you have shot it! It's perfect as is for that mag box.
700/Seven's are identical...same goes 600's.

If you are ascared,pop for 200pcs of brass. Brass abounds,for them inclined...............
You shouldn't have any problem buying enough brass right now to last you a few lifetimes.

See how it shoots before you dump $800 into a new barrel.
I think I heard on here one time that you should never shoot the donor. Perhaps I will. The worst that can happen is I end up with dies and some brass that someone else will need someday. Who knows, if it shoots good, then a new barrel won't even enter the mind...much.

Thanks for your input guys.
'19 and the 168A-Max is a good testbed...........
Goose,
as a died-in-the-wool 300SAUM shooter (used in all parts of the US and Africa, my gut says go as is...HOWEVER, the only fly in the ointment might be the throat length vs the mag box length, in other words you might have a lot of jump based on mag box length. Having shot ALOT of rounds thru the 300 in both factory and custom chamberings i have found that most don't tolerate alot of jump for best accuracy. I am currently using Varget,RP cases, 210 primers and 168 TTSXs ( the only TSX version I have been able to get to shoot accurately in MY gun.) My velocity runs right at 3100fps with outstanding accuracy. Just for reference I start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. Mine likes no more than .015 jump.
Hope this helps,
Bill
Remmie is pretty good at Linda Lovelacing s/a 30's and doing far better on their 7mm versions of same............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Adding Whizzum case length,to a ShamWow magbox and paying extry to do same,ain't gonna getcha nothing but a bigger bill.

What he said..

Add a McMillan and shoot the hell out of it.
I'd keep it 300SAUM and not worry a bit about going 300wsm
My M7 SAUM was a Blacktail and Moose killin machine. But I wanted a 350 more so I re-barreled it. Would have no problem owning one in 300 SAUM again. I've had two. TK
I have 7 & 300 shamwows. 7 in a ss seven and the 300 is a gen1 TI. I use the heck out of the ti and when it finally shoots out I'll rebarrel to 7 shamwow. Brass last very well with very little if any stretching. I have no need for any wsm's unless it's a montucky

I saw that rifle the friday. Thought about picking it up and leaving in the box. Figured it would be there for a while so was letting it sit till after elk season. Glad another looney picked it up.
The ShamWow is a killer case design and do veddy nice things.

Should it cheer anyone up,I've a 700 based s/a 7 ShamWow that is now punched 7 Whizzum and I couldn't toot that horn.

And I LOVE the 7 Whizzum................

Good to know stick. I had always figured worst case I could punch to wsm. But stock pilling brass seems way easier.
Certainly you could punch to Whizzum and there are avenues available there...the 700 moreso ala DBM's,than the Seven.

COAL constraints are a function of multiple factors,with hull length being the initial driving force and such things rate a thunk.

I'd not care to have a 7 ShamWow Montucky,but dote more than a bunch of my brace in 7 Whizzum. A 3.00"+ box do change things and allows more latitude in boolit selection...............

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Originally Posted by Big Stick

What he said..

Add a McMillan and shoot the hell out of it.

What they said,

What the hell advantage are you going to get by going WSM other than spending an ass load more money?

And anyone who disagrees, don't give me the "lack of brass" BS. A person can buy 500 rounds at a time in more than one place right now.

Bill

By the way Goose, go with your first instinct and just shoot the damn thing.

If it bothers you so greatly that its not a wizzum, please sell the damn thing to me before you go and screw up a perfectly good gun, or tell me where its for sale.

I'll shoot the thing just like it is (caliber wise) and not give a flying schit whether any ding dongs here think it should be a wsm.

Bill
Do I sound a bit touchy tonight? Just wondering :-)....
Stick, whatcha think about the wyatt box. Kevin's shop is just across town.
You lose a poke in the belly and that concession is something only you can factor and that upon your needs/wants.

Two ain't for me................

Roger that. I've been getting buy with the two in the belly of the ti. Hasn't been any issue on game yet but have been contemplating the dremmel tool boogy on the adl stock.
On the 700,I'd be talking to Glen and seeking his wares.................
Cool beans...
Originally Posted by tx270
By the way Goose, go with your first instinct and just shoot the damn thing.

If it bothers you so greatly that its not a wizzum, please sell the damn thing to me before you go and screw up a perfectly good gun, or tell me where its for sale.

I'll shoot the thing just like it is (caliber wise) and not give a flying schit whether any ding dongs here think it should be a wsm.

Bill

I certainly don't think is should be a WSM, and the brass issue is not what is available now, but what the chances of it being available tomorrow.

My first instinct is to shoot the damn thing, and that is exactly what I am going to do.
Originally Posted by tx270
Do I sound a bit touchy tonight? Just wondering :-)....

Not touchy, just speaking your mind and making some sense.
Originally Posted by Bill_Davis
Goose,
as a died-in-the-wool 300SAUM shooter (used in all parts of the US and Africa, my gut says go as is...HOWEVER, the only fly in the ointment might be the throat length vs the mag box length, in other words you might have a lot of jump based on mag box length. Having shot ALOT of rounds thru the 300 in both factory and custom chamberings i have found that most don't tolerate alot of jump for best accuracy. I am currently using Varget,RP cases, 210 primers and 168 TTSXs ( the only TSX version I have been able to get to shoot accurately in MY gun.) My velocity runs right at 3100fps with outstanding accuracy. Just for reference I start at .005 off the lands and work back in .005 increments. Mine likes no more than .015 jump.
Hope this helps,
Bill

Great info, Bill. Thank you! I'm not after your load data specifically, but what powder(s) would b be the best starting point? I was thinking H4350 or RL-19 and the 165gr Accubond. I know RL-19 works gret in th 300WSM.
For me,the 165/8 is the '15/'19 threshold............

He sure is.

Latest fad I've been riding is a 155 Scenar at 3,300 fps.
.508 BC bullet.

Gives new definition to 30 caliber rifles.

22 on the M1 hits 1000.

It's ALL about the boolit...headstamps mean dick,in comparison............
True but the SAUM design does benefit longer bullets in a 2.8 action.
Which was THE point outta the gate.

No case is worth a schitt,if ogives are riding below it's case mouth.

Twist,throating and mag constraints are the three pieces of info that rate a thunk...outta the gate,to keep frm pizzing up multiple ropes...........
Originally Posted by goose2044
Put it in a McMillan ADL style stock and end up with a nice packable unit that has some "cool" factor.

You're already at "cool"......buy a couple hundred pieces of brass, put it in a quality handle and commence to hunting.
Get some dies, stock up on brass and you're good to go, you can always ream it to 300 WSM further down the road, but I'd at least wait til u burn out the current barrel, although, you're not gonna gain much by doing that, especially for the price of having it done.
I tried them all..and on a fluke tested Varget..mine now punches itty-bitty holes with multiple shots...start at about 58 grs with R-P cases..with 168s...mine likes 59/60 grs..at 3100fps. 4350 worked ok..but the R powders just haven't panned out in my guns..ymmv...
Bill
Wow guys, thanks for the input. The SAUM has a real following which is surprising since it's rarely mentioned any more.

It does have some cool factor to already doesn't it? I can't wait to shoot this thing now.

I have several powders on hand that should contain a load within one or more of them, R15, r19, Varget, H4350, I4350, I4831 and Hunter. I'm thinking of the 165 Accubond to start. Let the fun begin!
If you reload there is no reason to rechamber. My 300 SAUM (an impulsive bargain purchase) has become my best shooter. Easy to load for, has shot all bullet weights very well. Load development consisted of using H4350 and not much reason to use anything else. I have never shot a factory round out of it and at $50 dollars a box, I would not choose the SAUM if I did not reload. I too bought a 7 SAUM after enjoying the 300 so much and it too is a great shooter.

Think of the SAUM as a fat 308 win. Tried and true case design.
Why change anything ? I agree with the others that say leave it as is. There is lots of brass around at this point and you will burn less powder and get better barrel life than a 300 WSM at least in theory. I have a rem 700 sendero in 300 saum and it has been great, it shoots 150 grain bergers 180 gr accubond, partions and barnes TTSX very well. I use RL 15 for the lighter bullets and H-4350 and RL 19 for the 180's. My current hunting load is the 180 grain TTSX at pretty close to 300 win mag speeds. With this bullet seated to a LOA of 2.825 ( the max length that will fit in the mag and nowhere near the lands) am am getting three shot groups between .250 and .500 with H-4350. I am using forester bench rest dies and getting .001 or less runout at the case necks which really surprised me as this is better that i get with my 22 ppc .
goose,

I bought a 7SAUM with the very same intentions that you had with the 300SAUM. Ummmm, then I shot it. A new handle and a GreTan firing pin assembly is all it needed for upgrades in my eyes. It's quickly become one of my favorite deer rifles.
Goose - don't touch the rifle. Shoot it first, then get back to us.

I've been shooting a 30/7 SAUM for ~ 5 years. The 30 SAUM will get you 2950 with a 180 and will break 3000 with ease with a 165 of any flavor. Have a serious look at a ballistic chart to see what you are really gaining by going WSM. Not much.

You could always give Stocky's a ring, order a B/C Ti stock and be in ~ 7.5 lbs and out another $200. Add Talley's and a Leupie of some flavor and your set for the next 40-50 years or so.

I know a bull last week that hates the 30 SAUM...........
BTW: if you're feeling the need for more speed, try Re 17. I broke 3000 ft/sec with a 180 Partition and 61.5 grains (max is supposedly 63.0). I do believe the Re 17 data is a bit optimistic as far as pressures are concerned.
The early R-17 data reminds me of the early Varget data and the early Magpro data. All of which I thought were either optimistic with velocity and/or powder charges.

The only reason I would consider changing it to the WSM is so I don't have to stock up on brass now. SAUM brass will probably go exstinct within 5 years or so. The WSM, I think not.

I'm sold guys! This thing will get stock and a trigger at the most. Dies and brass are on the way. When I return from elk hunting, I will get to the loading bench. I will make this my primary spring bear gun for now. This way, it has an assignment.
Well I couldn't stand it. I had to go shoot this thing even if it is freezing outside. I loded up some 165 Accubonds over H-414 and put it through the works. These were just short enough OAL to fit in the magazine and cycled flawlessly. This was more for my interest than it was a serious barrel break-in or group shooting session. The best groups were around 1.75" for 5 shots, but it had tendencies to put 3 into one hole. The first 3 were just over and inch. This is a combination of the shooter (me) the weather, the new barrel and a one powder one seating depth load. With more round down the tube and some tweaking and this rifle will shoot. Recoil felt no different than my 280, 30-06, or 7 mag. 20 rounds from the bench was no issue at all. I could have done 20 more quite easily.

What I found most fascinating is how smooth this barrel is for a factory tube and how clean H-414 burned. My 22-250 load with this powder is plain filthy. After 20 rounds, the SAUM tube was still shiny and had no visible residue. After I got home and put the clean to it, the copper fouling was almost nonexistent. This barrel seems to show some good signs so far. I will continue to work this combo at different seating depths until I can get a good range day with favorable conditions to run some over the chrony and work some other powders and bullets if needed. I think I'm going to like this little 300 mag.
Did you think we were pulling your leg? smile
Originally Posted by SKane
Did you think we were pulling your leg? smile

This croud? Never!

I still don't like the fact of gradually stocking up on brass, but it's not difficult to find at all. It's just not on every sporting goods store's shelf.

After owning and working with several WSM's, mostly 270, I instantly noticed some features of the SAUM case that I felt supported the claims of it being a better design.

1. sizes easier and smoother
2. fits in the magazine much better
3. feeds without even the slightest hangup
4. the WSM's cases get scratched up from magzine feeding I didn't find this to be true with the SAUM
5. extraction was much better with rounds in the mag compared to the WSM

I'm sure I will find some drawbacks as well, but this is just from one short 20 round fun session.

Remington's marketing messes up another one, but we already knew that!
Because you're giddy,I'll grant you a pass...........
Nothing beats a Remington 700 in any caliber.
IN THE WORLD!
© 24hourcampfire