Home
Anyone tried this in their 35 W in the 200 grain SP? Pretty impressive velocity stated by Hornady.
I'm sure there's a reason to run 200gr slugs in the Whelen, but I don't know what it is.
Have not tried it and never will. The Whelen is at its best,IMO, with 250gr. Want to shoot 200gr bullets, stick with a 30-06.
I would imagine that the new Superformance powders will also give impressive numbers with the Whelen shooting 250grain bullets.
I think the only reason the factorys load 200's in the Whelen is to get the velocity numbers they want,..afterall, velocity sells. This goes way back to the 250 Savage when they HAD to load an 87 instead of a 100gr bullet,...they couldn't have called it the 250-3000 if they had loaded a 100gr bullet now could they?
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
Anyone tried this in their 35 W in the 200 grain SP? Pretty impressive velocity stated by Hornady.

It appears that no one has tried them, at least and admit it
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm sure there's a reason to run 200gr slugs in the Whelen, but I don't know what it is.

x2
Hodgdon will intro their "Superperformance" powder to reloaders after the 1st of the year, which is a similar blend to the powder Hornady uses in their Superformance factory ammo.

Although certain cartridges have new data posted on Hodgdon such as the 300 WSM, as of now, there is no 35 Whelen data on the Hodgdon site for their new powder.

If it is able to increase the speed of a 200 gr in the 35 Whelen, it should do so for the 250 gr as well.

As I will also, keep your eye out for Hodgdon`s new powder.

..well...the .350 Remington Magnum is only at this point available with 200 grain bullets (other than the hard to find Nosler Custom 225 grain Partition) and seems to be handling everything it is shot into. I spoke to a lady today who owns a gunshop in Maine and that is all she and her family use for moose and deer hunting. They have collect three moose in the last two years and all were one shot drops...all with factory 200.

So for deer and caribou size game what is wrong with a little more velocity....

Bob

So for deer and caribou size game what is wrong with a 243....
And if 200gr does OK in the 358Win?
Works better in a 308. Course who needs all them silly rounds now that we have the 338 Federal!
Highjacking thread for a quick correction to Steelhead's post.

Originally Posted by Steelhead

OK. Back to the OP's question.
What are the stats on this cartridge?
2910fps muzzle, 1500fps at 500 yds. Should work in some cases.
200gr loads not yet available in 308 or 30-06.
Thats fast for a .35 Whelen... I still like my Double tap ammo. 250 grains at 2600 FPS.
The only way I would a 200 in the Whelen would be a TSX/TTSX, otherwise its almost any of the 250s at 2500fps.
I've used 200gr Remingtons and Hornadys in several 358s and 35Whelens over the years. Both bullets have shot well and are easier on the pocketbook than 250s or premiums.

Deer aren't that hard to kill. The 200s will work fine.

I have tried a variety of 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets pushed with a half a dozen different powders through my Whelen. At the end of the day, I have found that RL-15 and 225 Nosler Partitions provide me with the best overall hunting round. I can run Accubonds faster and Sierras more accurately, but in the field I am a NP shooter. I seldom hunt anything but elk, so premium bullets are always in play when I am hunting. CP.
I have taken something like 10 deer with the 358 Win and the 200 Hornady. I think it is one of the best woods cartridges ever developed. But I have some reservations on pushing that slug to 2900 fps. It worked superbly at just shy of 2500 fps out of the 358 Win, but another 400 fps...
That's the beauty of the 358Win (& 35Whelen). Load it with 200s and it's a perfect medium range deer rifle and with 250s and you're GTG for moose. At this velocity, you really don't need premiums.
A friend of mine invited my down to the Texas Hill Country for some deer hunting a few years ago. I took my .358 Win with 200 gr Silvertips as my "Sendero� rifle. I was probably the only person running a .358 Win. within hundred miles of Brady, TX, but I easily killed some Whitetails with it. But to the topic question, I also believe that 200 gr. .35 caliber bullets are best suited for the .358 Win. I do however (premium bullet bias aside) have a dandy load for my .358 Win. that uses .225 Sierras that I know that I will use to kill an elk someday. CP.
While running some handloads over my chronograph a couple of weeks ago, one of my friends brought his new .35 Whelen over with the 200 gr. SuperPerformance Ammo. These chrono'd between 2850 and 2900 fps. I believe they advertise 2850 on the box. Guess it does what they say it does.
Can't say for sure, as I haven't tried TAC w/ 200 grainers, but based on it's perfomance w/ 250's (2600 fps+) that it would do as well.

GIves nearly 2900 fps from a 22" barreled 350 Rem mag and 225 gr TSX's.

May have to give that superperformance powder a try though, especially if it shines in a 358 WIn where TAC is a marginal performer.
© 24hourcampfire