Home
Posted By: DillWeasel .284 Winchester rechamber - 12/30/10
Can you simply rechamber a bolt action rifle from 7mm-08 to .284 Winchester, or do you need to make additional changes to the magazine to get it to feed properly?
It depends on the rifle. Some folks rebarrel or rechamber Remington 700 for the 284 case and find the fit and feeding fine, while some don't. Remember that the 4mm longer case may impact OAL fit into the magazine with some bullets.

Although I've owned a variety of 284s and 284 wildcats over the past 30+ years, the 284 lost its short action appeal when the 7mm SAUM and 7mm WSM were introduced.

Jeff
I guess I am just a sucker for those classic cartridges.
I guess that is why my favorite long action 7mm cartridge is the 7x57. I have a 284 finish reamer and headspace gauge if I ever feel the need, but with a 270 WSM and 3 7mm SAUMs I don't know if I ever will.

Jeff
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
It depends on the rifle. Some folks rebarrel or rechamber Remington 700 for the 284 case and find the fit and feeding fine, while some don't. Remember that the 4mm longer case may impact OAL fit into the magazine with some bullets.

Although I've owned a variety of 284s and 284 wildcats over the past 30+ years, the 284 lost its short action appeal when the 7mm SAUM and 7mm WSM were introduced.

Jeff

I've done 1 rechamber job on a 7x57 Mauser barrel and have a second planned for a marlin XS-7 in 7-08.

The 7x57 needed a thread or 2 cut off the barrel, but the Marlin will need nothing special done. It feeds the 284 cases out of the mag slick as snot and should make a nice lightweight deer gun.
Other than a little speed, what meaningful/practical advantage does anyone gain by going from either 7x57 or 7mm-08 to 284? While I used to be a big consumer of 284s and 284 wildcats, I have come to the view that the performance boost offered by the 284 isn't worth the cost involved, at least for me it isn't.

I've rebarreled and/or rechambered some Marlin XL/XS-7s to 22-250, via rechambered 1-9" ROT Stevens 223 barrels, to 257 Roberts, via an A&B barrel, and to 7x57, also via an A&B barrel. I'm going to put a 260 stainless A&B barrel on a stainless XS-7 action next week. I have 3 or 4 250-3000 and 257 A&B barrels around and might bump 1 of them to 25-284 at some point.

Jeff
I personally like the 284win better than the 7-08. Better case life, more velocity, better accuracy, and it's just different.

I have (2) 284Win custom rifles already and the Marlin "X" guns have proven extremely accurate for me. I would like to see what a factory barrel will do with the 284. I like different and I have hundreds of 284 cases waiting to play with a new 284.
I'll grant you the "more velocity" and "it's just different", but think that case life and better accuracy has more to do with variables that aren't case shape and size.

Jeff
Well, the 284 is an "improved" case design much like the Ackley cartridges. less taper and sharper shoulders generally mean longer case life and less trimming. smile

I just like to be different at times and the 284 allows me to do that. If I had never had a 284win then I'd probably have (3) 7-08s instead of (3) 284s. wink
My current 284s are all collectables, not shooters, 4 Winchester 88s and 8 Savage 99s. My single 7mm-08 is a NIB Savage 99.

I have a kept a 24" stainless 700 BDL-DM barrel in 7mm-08 aside in case I ever get the bug to have another 284, but I shoot the 270 WSM and 7mm SAUMs so little that I don't forsee that day coming anytime soon.

My SOP for reloading is to buy 100 cases for each hunting rifle and 200 or 300 for each varmint rifle, then use those cases until they start to have age/use related problems, then start over with a new batch of 100.

Jeff
Posted By: SU35 Re: .284 Winchester rechamber - 12/30/10
Dill,

I think it's a great rechamber for a 708 .473 bolt face, especially if the mag box is a 3.00" If not you can always install a Wyatts box.
RL17 is a game changer in the 284 case.

Remington push feeds seem to work better than CRF's in the conversion.

Generally you can get one more round in the magazine over the 7mm short mags.

People rave over a 7mm08 AI yet ignore the ballistic better 284 Win.

Using a 7x57 in a long action is like pissing up a rope, what a waste.

"Using a 7x57 in a long action is like pissing up a rope, what a waste."

About the same as saying that the 30-06 is a waste in a long action.

Jeff
Posted By: Otis Re: .284 Winchester rechamber - 12/31/10
I have shot the 284 Win. for years. I have been using the same 80 brass since about '94. I use to shoot 60 rounds a weekend and never trim and just neck size and reload them. Since moving back to Arkansas I have retired the 284 Win. except when I go out west. I need to try some RL 17 in it, its super in my 257 Robts AI. I love the 284 Win. and should start shooting it again, I never cared if it was faster, better, or what. It, though not one, like all Ackley cartridges are more efficient; more speed for less powder. I just happened on an Art Alpine SAKO in 284 Win. for a steal and fell in love with it. Now have a classic FN Mauser in 284 Win. that shoots smokin' groups. I rebarreled the SAKO L61R to a 338/06 AI and it shoots as smokin' as the 284!
"It, though not one, like all Ackley cartridges are more efficient; more speed for less powder."

If you don't mind, would you care to share the formula that provides more speed with less powder?

Jeff
I'm very interested. I can't believe folks are still fooling with "Ackley Improved" cartridges in this day and age.
OK, That's it. I am calling the lever rifle police on Jeff. Everyone knows that it is illegal to own that many .284 Levers and a NIB 7mm-08, too. Or it should be illegal. One can tell that he doesn't care that there are lever starving folks out there that are searching for the .284's. Makes you think about all the .358's he probably has stashed away.
Most Ackley Improved cartridges are well worth the effort. You usually get greatly improved ballistics with the ability to shoot factory ammo if needed. In the 257 Roberts A.I. you can get 4 more grains of 4350 in the case and get nearly 300FPS more with 120gr bullets. The same can be said for the 100gr bullets which easliy break 3300fps in the 'Bob A.I. (According to P.O. Ackley's Pocket Manual for shooters and reloaders.)
Originally Posted by SU35
Dill,

I think it's a great rechamber for a 708 .473 bolt face, especially if the mag box is a 3.00" If not you can always install a Wyatts box.
RL17 is a game changer in the 284 case.

Remington push feeds seem to work better than CRF's in the conversion.

Generally you can get one more round in the magazine over the 7mm short mags.

People rave over a 7mm08 AI yet ignore the ballistic better 284 Win.

Using a 7x57 in a long action is like pissing up a rope, what a waste.

EXCEEDINGLY well said. + 1 on each point. If I were to be given a short action 7/08 rifle that was worth keeping I would imediately ream it out to 284. One of the most useful short action cartridges ever. A 99 in 35/284 would be pretty cool, too!
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
"Using a 7x57 in a long action is like pissing up a rope, what a waste."

Jeff

Can't believe you actually wrote that and posted it. 7x57 is short enough to work wonderfully in most short actions. Even works in a 788. 30/06 is not. On a longer (30/06 length) action a 280 of stnd or AI versions or a 7mm Mag would be a more logical/better fit and performer.

Best fit for any action, excepting really extremely overbore case situations, is the one that puts the most gunpowder behind the projectile diameter and wieght you want to use that will work and run through that action. Easy as that. Speed is good.
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I'm very interested. I can't believe folks are still fooling with "Ackley Improved" cartridges in this day and age.

Another laugher for VAnimrods "Swampy wisdom" thread. This one actually made me laugh out loud. Wow.
Posted By: SU35 Re: .284 Winchester rechamber - 12/31/10

Jeff

No Jeff, about the same as saying a 7x57 is better than a 280 in a long action.

Tomato - Tahmahto

The 7x57 is a great cartridge and 1 of my favorites, I currently have 8 of them. I've never been a 280 guy, so I only have 1 of them and only bought it because it is a Ruger 77R marked 280 7mm Exp Rem. Ruger says that they never marked any barrels that way, but there it is.

I have 3 7mm SAUMs, so I can get 280AI performance out of a slightly shorter package.

Not that it matters, so carry on.

Jeff
The 35-284 doesn't work particularly well in the Savage 99 action, COAL issues caused by the magazines, both rotary and detachable.

Jeff
© 24hourcampfire