Home
To paraphrase Big Stick, the Tikka .223 magazine sucks balls. The rifle is twisted fast, but the magazine length unnecessarily restricts a reloader's options in longer bullets.

I recently picked up a used T3 from another member, and acted on an idea to lengthen the magazine in a cheap and easy manner.

T3 magazine:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Max length:

[Linked Image]

First step is to remove follower: push the nose of the follower up with a pencil and pull out. You can pop spring out as soon as follower comes out of mag body.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next is probably the hardest part of the operation - removing the bottom of the body to get into the guts. Using two screwdrivers, gently work the blade from the inside to pry the side off the front and rear pins. Don't pry too hard, just get the side off the pins and you can then free the bottom.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0011.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0013.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0014.jpg[/img]

The magazine has a rear wall that needs to be removed and replaced. The bottom of the mag has a tab that will need to be trimmed back to allow for the new rear wall.

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0015.jpg[/img]

I decided to make the new mag length at 2.600", and scored a line on the top plate to cut back to.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Remove top plate back to line with dremel, and remove rear wall flush to interior magazine sides. A file and chisel will help trim and smooth inside the magazine. Use an exacto knife to square the corners of the cut and back bevel the feed lips on the magazine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Te new rear wall will be a piece of aluminum channel used to trim edges of 3/8" plywood. Cut at 1.620" inches.

[Linked Image]

Net thickness is a little less than the ID of the magazine, but some 10 mil tape on each side will make a nice fit.

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0031.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0024.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0033.jpg[/img]

Mark and drill holes for 6-32 SS screws through mag sides.
Clean up the blowout inside the mag with a file. Insert aluminum channel, mark through holes, remove, drill channel with a #36 and tap 6-32.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Countersink screw holes in mag side, clean up blow out again.

[Linked Image]

Mark tab on bottom to clear aluminum channel, cut back with dremel. Leave step on bottom to hold spring base when re-assembled.

[Linked Image]

Polish face of channel, install and screw into place with 6-32 x 1/4" SS screws. (smaller screws can be used, but I already had a 6-32 tap)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bevel top plate back so cartridges will feed smoothly.

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0039.jpg[/img]

Reassemble magazine.

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0040.jpg[/img]

Done!

[img]http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt32/Rancho_Loco/Tikka%20Mag%20Mod/IMG_0041.jpg[/img]
that's pretty cool! looks like you had some free time... How long did it take you to modify?
Can I just send mine over? I'll pay.
Without taking pix it would have been about an hour, tops.
I'll pay a premium.....
that's really not that bad, takes about the same to modify a remington mag, just less steps..

How's it feed? you try it with the longer bullets?
feeds the cartridges pictured just fine. I'll load up and test some 70 gr. VLD's this week.
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'll pay a premium.....

hmmmm....
be interested to hear how it does. though i figure if it'll still feed the shorter rounds fine then the longer ones will be just fine.
Steelhead says he has some loads all ready to go for it.

Should I be worried?
use a string and hide behind a rock.... grins
Hell, Paul has used my 223AI rounds to kill a deer (course that was the first time we ever fired one in his rifle).

I'm thinking about step 3, either the camera or magazine would have been flung.
shocked
i'd have had to stop for a sammich in the middle and never got back to it!
Darling daughter had a sleepover last night and I barricaded myself in the reloading room with a lot of beer.

I'm surprised this turned out as well as it did.
Me too.
i'd probably do the same... though steelhead would be cruising for a date... grins
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
you sick [bleep]! shocked
ha ha...TFF!

i need to plan a hunt somewhere!
I'm thinking I might make a quick run for Axis @ March or so.
Axis deer... Yummmm.
once i find out where i'm going i think i'll plan a trip somewhere! this boat crap is getting old!
Remember next Thanksgiving.
BTW, Axis is my favorite! you need my address? grins

we're planning a trip out to TX around december to finally get squared up on those rifles!
down in TX? i'm down if i'm in town!
I'm looking to improved on this Axis

[Linked Image]
Yep
still cool the way you done it though! Axis are really cool! i'd like to get another and do the euro thing...
See the broken nose part on the starboard side? I dropped it....
gives it character.. at least you haven't got drunk and shot it...

once i know my schedule i'll hit you up and we can see about planning something cool!!!
Great job on the magazine mod.

Let us know how well it functions/feeds with long rounds.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
you sick [bleep]! shocked

Yes?

(grin)

Dude, you went to town on that thing, nice!
I did this modification and then reversed it with a pair of screws on the other side to go back to original length of about 0.100" over the original limit. When you use the long shells at the full rear position, the follower tends to pop up and tilt the rear of the shells to low to feed. I leave it in the short mode for rounds of conventional length.
any mods or switching out of the bolt stop??
Steelhead - "Candy is dandy but liquor is WAY (emphasis mine) quicker". A man after my own heart...Homesteader.
Originally Posted by strut64
I did this modification and then reversed it with a pair of screws on the other side to go back to original length of about 0.100" over the original limit. When you use the long shells at the full rear position, the follower tends to pop up and tilt the rear of the shells to low to feed. I leave it in the short mode for rounds of conventional length.

What length did you use for a rear position?
Or would a slightly shorter OVAL in the mag to overcome this problem or would 0.100" be max before the described problem begin?
Just as a little addition since this has come up, I've never had a problem with all 4 feeding out of the mag.

And this ugly little plastic POS shoots lights out. Especially 70 gr. VLD's over a hot load of TAC.
Great Ceaser's ghost that is cool. What sort of velocity are you getting?
About 3,000 fps from a 22" barrel.. This is a warm load.

It's summer and raining, so I thought this piece of work ought to be resurrected grin

Originally Posted by strut64

Besides dedicating this magazine for your Longer COL Cartridges (you could run another of standard size for your shorter cartridges)...

...a Scissor Spring powering the follower will, and does, cure all porpoising.

What did you do about the length of the follower? Did it being short cause any problems?
adding to watched topics .. learning how to use forum.
Using short carts, like my 40 grain gopher loads, I just knock the carts forward in the mag and I don't have any problems feeding.

Welcome to the 24hcf..
up
I'll be dang. I have the same mag for my .204 with the same issue. I've had the follower out but I could never figure out how to get the bottom off - great pic with the screwdriver blade. My Tikka only likes 32gr but I would like to try different OAL and see if getting closer to the lands helps or hurts. Thanks.
Just got my mag torn apart yesterday and planning on getting the mod done tomorrow. Need to get the AMax's ready to bust some coyotes.
Anyone know if someone is doing this modification as a side business.....I know several Tikka owners that would pay to have their magazine modified......most of them have more money than time grin
Originally Posted by mistem
Anyone know if someone is doing this modification as a side business.....I know several Tikka owners that would pay to have their magazine modified......most of them have more money than time grin

Speaking of mods, I'm looking for a bolt stop kit for my 7mm-08. I want to get closer to the lands but I'm constrained by the mag length. I figure a .30-06 length bolt stop and a .30-06 mag would do nicely.

And no, I don't have a dremel.

P
Beer, vice grips and an angle grinder will work..
I have 2 of the 3.

P
Worth looking at again.....................
ttt
Tag for future reference and for another possible solution that I may have when I get my injection molding machine up and running in a few weeks.
Steelhead et al,

Love the mag mods. Just wondering since Tikka only builds one size action, couldn't you just purchase a 30-06 mag?

As for axis, how about one of these Steelhead?
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bbear
Steelhead et al,

Love the mag mods. Just wondering since Tikka only builds one size action, couldn't you just purchase a 30-06 mag?

As for axis, how about one of these Steelhead?
[Linked Image]

Interested in this answer as well
One of those, YES! One of my most favorite critters.

As to the mag box, I'd be guessing but since the 30/06 et al is much fatter I'm assuming the lips of the magazine are sized to accept it, so a 223 will not work with them. Just a guess not having one.
Scott is right.

The .473" head mags won't work.
tag
tag
tag
I did the same but just used JB weld to secure the AL piece. I also spread the Aluminum channel to snugly fit the magazine shell. I've come up with an idea to move the mag spring back so it sets agains the new back "wall".

IF ANYONE NEEDS ALUMINUM I HAVE A BUNCH OF IT.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
nice work
So I decided to take the plunge and try a 6 rounder. Pain in the ass so far. Rounds want to drop ass first while pushing the follower out off the rails. Pop rivets are easy peasy and sit below the web recesses on the mag though.

Too be continued.......

[Linked Image]
ttt
Originally Posted by 16bore
So I decided to take the plunge and try a 6 rounder. Pain in the ass so far. Rounds want to drop ass first while pushing the follower out off the rails. Pop rivets are easy peasy and sit below the web recesses on the mag though.

Too be continued.......

[Linked Image]

Hadn't thought of that.

P
Originally Posted by 16bore

Too be continued.......

[Linked Image]

Any more updates on this mag mod? is the short follower a problem with the longer rounds?

The thread on the RAR mag mod has me half thinking on trying my t3 mag if its likely to work
ttt
I'm thinking Mountain Tactical is the way to handle mags anymore, either with their BM/AICS or box itself.
Tag
I bought a used ctr stock and bottom metal so that fixed my issues. AICS bottom metal would too. I’m sure some people can fix the factory 223 magazines but I couldn’t get them to feed anywhere close to the way factory ctr magazines do.
© 24hourcampfire