Home
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
How difficult is it to swap out the bolt handle on a Kimber Montana?
If I decide to swap it where can I buy one?
Posted By: rattler Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
they are just screwed on and possibly secured with some loctight....may actually get around to swapping mine out with a titanium one i bought from a member here that made some this weekend.....other than the member i bought mine from im not sure where else you can buy one from....
Posted By: 25-06 Lilja Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Thanks, rattler

When you swap yours will you PM me and let me know how difficult it is to take it out and what tools you used?
will do, the wife is out of town this weekend and left me to entertain myself....prolly get to it sometime Saturday grin
Posted By: battue Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Protect the knob with a thick piece of leather or equivalent padding, use pliers and lefty loosey, righty tighty. They are held with lock tight.
Posted By: BlackFrog Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Originally Posted by battue
Protect the knob with a thick piece of leather or equivalent padding, use pliers and lefty loosey, righty tighty. They are held with lock tight.

Warm things up with a heat gun or *light* torch to work on the lock tite?
Posted By: battue Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
On mine I didn't have to.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Easy to change out. Schmalts made some nifty titanium replacements. PM him directly to see if he has any left...............DJ
Posted By: lodgepole Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Will I be able to walk up the mountain easier if I swap out the original bolt handle on my Montana for a lighter titanium one?

Couldnt I accomplish the same thing by carrying 200 grain loads in the rifle instead of 220s?

Maybe a lighter bolt cycles faster, giving me one extra shot at the rump of a disappearing bull in the timber. That extra shot should do the trick in a pinch.

This is Captain Obvious..... signing of.
Originally Posted by lodgepole
Will I be able to walk up the mountain easier if I swap out the original bolt handle on my Montana for a lighter titanium one?

Couldnt I accomplish the same thing by carrying 200 grain loads in the rifle instead of 220s?

Maybe a lighter bolt cycles faster, giving me one extra shot at the rump of a disappearing bull in the timber. That extra shot should do the trick in a pinch.

where in the hell did i say logic had a damn thing to do with me swapping it out grin
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Its the whole mindset....

I cut the handle off my toothbrush too...

Think big picture laugh Or you can pack 65 pounds of [bleep] on your back, instead of 50. I don't care.
actually thats the way i think but seems alot of folks here cant understand why individuals cant just man up and carry a heavier rifle.....first time i handled one i knew i wanted one and exactly why i wanted one and was not gonna be happy with a heavier rifle.....if i had to swap out barrels or sacrifice chickens to get it to shoot i was gonna do it, turns out mine was plenty accurate out of the box grin
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/14/11
Once I got the money....

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/stocks/hunting

I'm thinking I'll drop it in a carbon fiber Summit. I ran into Bob at Sportsmans a few weeks back (he was picking up ski's) he thinks it'll be 9-10 Oz lighter than Kimbers stock.

Which brings me to this.....

Why do I pack a 6 pound 2 Oz rifle?
Because they don't make one that goes 4 Lbs 2 Oz laugh
Posted By: toad Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/15/11
Originally Posted by lodgepole

and yes, i have one on each of my Kimbers

i diddn't think there were still people that needed "light" explained... an edge stock will cost you more $$ per ounce saved than the Ti bolt handle.
Posted By: rattler Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/15/11
mine had locktite....

weights in grains

stainless
[Linked Image]

titanium
[Linked Image]

Titanium one on the bolt
[Linked Image]

Posted By: tzone Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/15/11
Originally Posted by rattler
will do, the wife is out of town this weekend and left me to entertain myself....prolly get to it sometime Saturday grin

Time for a run to the titty bar.
Posted By: Dr_Lou Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/15/11
Other than the cool factor or Ti, a healthy dump will shave off more weight. ;-)
Posted By: rattler Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/15/11
Originally Posted by Dr_Lou
Other than the cool factor or Ti, a healthy dump will shave off more weight. ;-)

other than i dont carry that weight in my hands......a pound of weight in the pack doesnt mean alot.....a pound of weight carried in your hand all day is a hell of a difference....if your gonna strap your rifle to your pack shaving half ounces and ounces might not matter a whole lot for most but i want the rifle in my hands and off my shoulder as much as possible....
Posted By: sundles Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/16/11
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Once I got the money....

http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/stocks/hunting

I'm thinking I'll drop it in a carbon fiber Summit. I ran into Bob at Sportsmans a few weeks back (he was picking up ski's) he thinks it'll be 9-10 Oz lighter than Kimbers stock.

I've had Bob restock four rifles (so far) with his Summit (one of them was the extra light carbon fiber) and I have been excedingly pleased each time.
Posted By: kingston Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/25/17
What happened to Loan Wolf Rifle Stocks?
Posted By: prm Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/25/17
Originally Posted by battue

What he said.

To the nay sayers, yes, it is easier to get up the mountain with a Ti bolt handle! At least that's what I say to myself. grin
Posted By: Mjduct Re: Kimber bolt handle. - 01/25/17
I put my handle in a leather protected Vice and twisted the bolt with my hand... easier than I thoguht it would be....
© 24hourcampfire