Home
Opinions on best sling for a lightweight rifle or should I just use the same Montana sling I have for my normal weight rifles?
Posted By: Brad Re: Sling for light weight rifle? - 01/17/11
Uncle Mikes (now Butler Creek) Mountain Sling... 3.5 oz's, no slip, hell for stout.
Leather go Montana, syn go Uncle Mikes Mtn sling

Dober
Leather go Brownell's Latigo, nylon I agree go Uncle Mike's Mountain.
Posted By: toad Re: Sling for light weight rifle? - 01/18/11
1" Montana sling. my Latigo sling is now in the junk box.

[Linked Image]
That is a great looking rig!

350?

Dober
butler creek mountain sling ,
Posted By: JRaw Re: Sling for light weight rifle? - 01/18/11
Originally Posted by Brad
Uncle Mikes (now Butler Creek) Mountain Sling... 3.5 oz's, no slip, hell for stout.

Buy two, one stainless and one blued and that's all the slings you need.
Boonie Packer 1" with the rubber threading for a no-slip grip on the shoulder. Can't get any lighter, and these don't tend to slide around on your shoulder. $14

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=17
I like the Vero Vellini neoprene slings. Very light and comfortable.

I favor the 1" Montana sling on my hunting rifles. They are surprisingly light, mine average around 5oz complete. The bare bones little Butler Creek Mountain slings I have weigh around 3 1/2 ounces, so they save you a tiny amount of weight. The nylon Super Slings are actually heavier than the Montana, and the Brownell's Latigo slings weigh a ton. I probably have around two or three of each of these slings with the simple little Montana being my clear favorite of the lot.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
That is a great looking rig!

350?

Dober

dat's a 7mm-08. i believe it's an early M7 FS. anyway, it's an 18" Park'd M7 in a Brown's stock. it's my 'backcountry belly gun'
Originally Posted by shortmagfan
.... should I just use the same Montana sling I have for my normal weight rifles?

Yes.

I really like slings and it's by far my favorite. Bought a Mountain Sling and used it once, leather is better.
[Linked Image]
Plain or basketweave 1" carrying strap...

[Linked Image]
Uncle Mikes(Butler Creek) Mtn sling for me

Posted By: Azar Re: Sling for light weight rifle? - 01/18/11
+1 on the mountain sling. Once I found this sling, I bought a second one and ditched a padded cobra sling that I hated from another rifle.
musta been a short trip there, Sam-I-Am grin judging by the 'supplies'
You dont see these mentioned much but I really like them. I did put a little thinned silicon on the strap to make it more sticky though.

Check out the quake hush stalker sling swivels too. Lighter then uncle mikes if your really counting the 1/4 ounces smile

The Wilderness basic carry sling.
Originally Posted by 257heaven
I like the Vero Vellini neoprene slings. Very light and comfortable.

Yep.
I use a Cobra Sling with my CW system. Allows me to use it while shooting in a hurry from sitting, or for carrying the rifle muzzle down while still hunting and glassing. About 5 ozs. E
Posted By: prm Re: Sling for light weight rifle? - 01/18/11
I picked up a Mountain sling based on the recommendations from here. I'm thinking those recommendations were well founded.
are you going to use the new sling as a carrying strap, or for stability when shooting? if the primary objective is a lightweight sling to match (compliment) a lightweight rifle, i'd say the best choice would be a 1" to 1 1/4" plain-jane nylon sling. if you want to look cool (and plan to strap in when shooting), get a leather (heavier) montana or the like. if you want comfort over all else, get one of the nylon types with the neopreme pad. many options for the hunter/shooter today.
I have both but find the Bandera Dominator sling at Cabelas a tad lighter and easier to adjust quickly with 1 hand than the Uncle Mikes MTN.
+1 on the Boonie Packer. They are a excellent light weight sling.

Nelson
BlackHawk Mountain sling
I like these so much, I've put them on every rifle. 1" on the lightweights, 1-1/4" on the regular boys.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=2403110432
Originally Posted by kenaiking
You dont see these mentioned much but I really like them. I did put a little thinned silicon on the strap to make it more sticky though.

Check out the quake hush stalker sling swivels too. Lighter then uncle mikes if your really counting the 1/4 ounces smile

The Wilderness basic carry sling.

Try Aquaseal next time. It's a durable neoprene glue that goes on thin and self-levels. It is very durable and becomes one-in-the-same with the synthetic material. Place it on the areas that contact your shoulder.

Best smile
+1 on the Montana sling.
+2 on the Montana sling.
© 24hourcampfire