Home
Anybody care to discuss this rifle and caliber?
I have this rifle and the workmanship is superb. It would probably cost a fortune to build it today. It is somewhat of a "rattler" with the forearm but I don't think it's as bad as a Model 760. The .35 Remington caliber speaks for itself but what comes to my mind is "one shot - one kill". Thanks...Bill.
Bill,

Have you tried any Hornady Lever Evolution ammo in the rifle. I have and have trouble with it feeding through the action. I plan to shoot it single shot for practice and then handload some Round Nose bullets.
Huron:

FWIW I run the leverevolution through mine and I've had no feeding issues and it is VERY accurate!

PennDog
No I haven't. I stick with the Core-Lokts because with my failing eyesight it's strictly a short range rifle for me. I agree that the LeverEvolutions would be a problem. I have a nice receiver sight that I have never mounted because it requires a third screw to be placed into the wood and I hate to deface it so I stick with the original barrel sights and just hang on to the receiver sight for maybe future installation. I have cataracts so bad I can't hit the side of a barn. I have to wait until September to get them removed. Thanks...Bill.
I have the ammo but so far have not tried it in either my 141 or my Marlins.
I have 1, SN 302xx, and think that it is a nice rifle, even if it is a little heavy. A previous owner had it d&t for a receiver sight, I guess that he didn't like the Lyman R14 tang peep that it came factory d&t for.

I've owned several 14s and 141s in all 4 calibers, 25, 30, 32, and 35. I would love to have had a chance to buy Bearrr264's Grandfather's highly engraved 141 in 35, but I don't know what became of it after his Mother passed away. By far the nicest, fanciest, 141 that I've ever seen.

JEff
I have a Model 141 in 35 Remington. Mine has been drilled and tapped for a scope and wears a Weaver 4X. I picked it up a few years ago and it is an excellent rifle. The LeverEvolution ammo is a bit too long to feed, but shoots well. I have come to prefer the reliable old standard 200 grain CoreLokt in a handload or factory ammo. As is said, they don't make 'em like that anymore.
Back in the early 1970s, I hunted deer near Bridgeton, ME, with a group from the Lynn, MA, area, mostly guys who built jet engines at the GE Riverworks Plant. Although most of them were Remington 740 and 742 30-06 shooters, a couple of them used 35 Remingtons in the Remington 14 and 600 and the Marlin 336. There were guys who were convinced that the 150 grain PCL was a better, quicker, killer than the 200 grain RNCL. I think that I've only shot Federal, Remington, and Winchester 200 grain factory loads in the variety of 35 Remingtons that I've owned over the years.

JEff
.35 Rem brass seems to be scarce, not even listed in a lot of catalogs. Where do you guys find your's?

DF
Graf & Sons has Winchester/Olin 35 Remington brass listed as being available for $27.56 per 50.

www.grafs.com

JEff
I found some at one of those places the libs hate! A gunshow! 200 once fired all Reminton, for $25.00! Guy said he didn't reload, darn!
I have an elderly friend who has one and offered to sell it to me on a regular basis for the past 30 years. I think I will call him and see if he still wants to do this.
i own both the 141 and 14 in both rifle and carbine length. they are the slickest, handiest guns around, especially the carbines. i use mine for hunting and backyard shooting. the 35 is a nice round but i really like the 30 rem. low recoil, low noise, ballistically equivalent to the 30/30 but rimless. if you can find a 141 in 35 in nice condition, grab it. you won't be disappointed.
I have a friend with a .35 Marlin, wanting me to load for him. I found some Speer bullets and bought a set of dies on Ebay. Just had problems finding brass. He's bought factory ammo where he can and is saving the brass. Thanks for the input. Will check out Grafs.

DF
I hunted with a 141 in 35 when I was a teenager, nice
looking gun, but it was kind of worn and jammed every now
and then.
Here ya go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=7576&categoryString=9315***652***670***9013

Lee

not sure why it didn't post a link, but there's the address
I've been meaning to start a similar thread to this one. In my quest for this years "perfect big woods gun" I have decided on either a 141 or 14 in .35 rem. I have to follow up on a couple of leads, a 141 rifle that has been d&t, and a model 14 also d&t. Both seem pretty reasonably priced compared to what they are asking for them on g.b. Any tips on what to look for, as far as problems these guns may be known for?
My best source of .35 rem brass is wally world. Remington factory ammo is less than $14. Thats probally cheaper than loading your own.
Hur..,

My grandad left me a near new 141. My eyes being not so good, I had it drilled and tapped and the 24" barrel cut off to 20". It is now the handiest woods rifle ever created. My reloads didn't feed so well but Walmart sells factory ammo every year.

O
Last week I bought a very nice 141 .35 Rem. in very good condition. It is everything I hoped it would be, with one exception. The forearm/slide rattles quite a bit, the noise comes from the contact between the spiral magazine and the bracket that guides the magazine on the bottom of the barrel. Is there a fix? It bothers me, I still hunt alot, and want all of my gear as quiet as possible. Realistically, have any of you 141/14 owners ever had a problem with this rattle, or would you say its nothing to worry about?
I have a soft spot for the 14's and 141's, there a classic rig to be sure. I have owned several of both and find them accurate and all of mine seem to run good on any ammo I have ever put through em and Im pretty sure I have run all factory fodder avaiable today.

Never killed anything with one but need to change that soon.
I killed my second Buck in the early 60's with the Model 14 in 30 Rem. these rifle are about as good as it gets in a pump action deer rifle. I like them much better than the 7600 that Rem makes today. They are well built with no short cuts to save money. In my opinion they are the best pump action big game rifle ever produced. The 35 Rem is about as good as it gets in the thick bush for Deer and Elk. The Model 141 is just a better version of the Model 14.
[Linked Image]
My good friend was gifted a Model 141 in 35 Remington that his uncle left him in passing. Slick rifle and excellent workmanship throughout. His is dated from the late 30s I believe and has an original Lyman steel tube scope mounted on it. It will digest Leverevolution ammo just fine. He killed a nice whitetail buck with it this last hunting season.
One great thing about the model 14/141 is they can use spire pointed bullets. So you can really make them reach out and smack your critter.

My father has a model 14 in 35Rem and it will shoot with any new 35Rem being made today. I too wish Remington would make a modern version of the 14/141 instead of the club they try to pass off today.
The cost would be so high no one would buy it
That is the reason why it was discontinued. Nobody wanted to pay that much for a pump gun.

I love my 141. Short, fast stroke, takes pointed bullets, and it is a takedown.

Definitely the fastest, best pump gun ever made. Well worth the prices they go for......
Hate to say but even though the 141 is an excellent rifle, it is not a better version of a 14, it's a cheaper to manufacture version of it. 14's were the best. Some versions of the 14 have an anti rattle spring in the forearm. I don't think the slight rattle in the rest of them really matters.
It would seem that with modern CNC machining, high quality castings, and CAD programs available, someone could make a modern model 14. I bet Taurus or Ruger could do it and still keep the price near the 760/7600 being made.
or the chinese! please, the stuff they make today is junk! that's why my newest gun is a 1971 remington 660 i have 3 model 8 remingtons and a model 14 i use all the time.
love my 141 in 35 rem,mine has been cut down and a saddle ring added,it handles any ammo I feed it.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
super cool!!! need pics!
I love the caliber. The gun is pretty sweet. I found on MINT one yesterday at a local gun shop. I'm talkin...not a mark on it. Not D&T'd, no swivels installed, no carry marks, it had to be a safe queen.
Where can I get sling swivels to fit the factory mounts? The magazine support ring is equipped to accept a swivel but it is pretty wide. The buttstock stud has a rather large hole also.
I thot I was the only 35 Rem slut here on the Fire. Great pics guys! Thx.

The Lever Revo ammo is awesome!

Not too long ago I snagged a 21" Contender barrel in 357 Max. Can be loaded surprisingly close to 35 Rem. It's a hoot too.

DMc
I have a circa 1980 760 that was 35 rem. but I had it re-chambered to 35 Whelen. Love 35 cal. drops 'em dead in their tracks! Just acquired a model 141 in 35 rem. and look forward to killing a deer or two with it this year. Here in PA a good brush gun is a plus.
© 24hourcampfire