Home
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
What is the deal with Steyr rifles? They are not spoken of much here. They any good???
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
I have one, a Steyr Mannlicher SSG 69 PII in 308 Winchester, It is an excellent rifle and the most accurate rifle I own. With Federal GGM ammo it will put 5 bullets into way less than .500" at 100 yards.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
Excellent rifles but I believe they have failed to gain much popularity in the US based on the style and looks of the rifle. I like the one I have, it is very accurate.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
My Steyr Scout will produce a ragged hole at a 100yd, off of the bipod. It is the most ergonomic rifle I've ever used. It will never be for sale.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
i never had one either guess they seem like a lot if $$ for a lets say "different" looking rifle for me have heard they are really great shooters though ?
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
They are excellent rifles, but Steyr-Mannlicher can't market their products well at all. Also their ownership has changed over the years and that has not helped. I have a .308 Win rifle from them that shoots very well...jim
Posted By: ProHunter85 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
I have a Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag and a Steyr Luxus in 7mm-08.

The Pro Hunter is a lovely gun to carry, simple and functional and has a great trigger.

The luxus is a nice rifle. I have only had mine since august. I bought it cheap at my local gun shop. They had a "Steyr" night where the international marketing manager Gundaccar Wurmbrand came out and gave a presentation. I am currently working up some loads for it.

Give a pro hunter a try. The stock design is a little different to what most are used to, but its very comfortable. And did I mention the trigger? very easy to fall in love with.
Posted By: WTM45 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
One thing is for sure, they shoot well.
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
The US sales people seem to be a bit unhelpful and aloof marketers. I have had to go to the Europeans directly and get them to encourage the US importers to reply to questions, for both their guns and the other European brands they market.

Even when I am attempting to buy something or get a recommendation on where to buy or see guns and gear, they often don't reply. If a trend, this isn't helping them generate a market.

Had a Scout, but it was one of the few guns that I couldn't stand the pounding it gave me and traded it. Quality was very good though. I would buy another Steyr in the future.

Posted By: domit Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/13/11
so good i bought another just in case!
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
The SBS Mountain version are being sold for $599 in my area, pretty compelling value. Though I would have hoped a 20" barrel version would be a little lighter than 7.3 lbs.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
Their US representative is the only thing that has changed more times than the ownership! wink

jim
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
A NIB .260 Safe Bolt Steyr-Mannlicher (walnut) just sold on GB today. I didn't really need another, but they are somewhat rare, so I bid $800 and was eventually out bid. They are one hole rifles. I have one in .260 (stainless/walnut) and one in 6.5x55 (blue/walnut). High quality. Great shooters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tbear Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
I have one in 376 Steyr & like it a lot. Very accurate & a good caliber for med-large big game animals. I would use my 416 Rigby on DG, but the 376 has worked well on zebra & eland. As stated, the change in ownership & distribution has seriously effected sales in the US.
Posted By: MK257 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
tbear, wha tmodel do you have in .376 steyr?

Thanks,

B8
Posted By: HaYen Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/14/11
I got to handle / work the action once. Called a local dealer, who was very helpful and claimed "they were the most accurate rifle from a mainstream manufacture today". When I heard the $2500 price tag, I thanked him for his time. For some of us $2500 for a rifle you want is a deal. For others, its just not in our budget.

If I had the money and every other rifle on my "I can't afford this" list, I might get one. I'd have to shoot it first. Really smooth action.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/15/11
I had a Pro Hunter in 308 briefly. I liked a lot about the rifle and it was one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. But the negatives outweighted the positives for me and I sold mine.

For a 20" barreled carbine it was quite heavy. Magazines are pricey and hard to find. The shape of the bolt handle required mounting the scope a lot higher than I liked.

If those issues do not bother you it will be hard to find a more accurate rifle for the money.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/15/11
Been shooting a Model M Professional in 7 x 57 since I bought it in 1976! They are a little funky looking but they shoot well.
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/15/11
The current models use the Safe Bolt System (SBS) action that was introduced in '96. I bought my first SBS rifle in '98. My current favorite is the Mannlicher Ultra Light. Here is a factory picture.
[Linked Image]
It can give my NULA a run...jim
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/15/11
Down to one. It's an old model Luxus fullstock carbine in .270. It doesn't get hunted as much as it did but will be one of the last to go. It's one of the most accurate hunting rifles I've ever owned.
Posted By: Klaatu Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
A friend bought a flawless Steyr Mannlicher here in Oklahoma at a garage sale last year for 200.00 dollars. It's a .308. I nearly cried it's so nice. Locals I hunted with in Germany used Steyrs in smaller calibers very effectively. Wish I had one.
Posted By: Karnis Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A NIB .260 Safe Bolt Steyr-Mannlicher (walnut) just sold on GB today. I didn't really need another, but they are somewhat rare, so I bid $800 and was eventually out bid. They are one hole rifles. I have one in .260 (stainless/walnut) and one in 6.5x55 (blue/walnut). High quality. Great shooters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those are sweet rifles. Dibs on both. laugh
Posted By: woods Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
I have a 30-06 Forester. All my other rifles are aftermarket barreled semi-customs with Hart, Brux, Pac-Nor, Douglas and Lothar Walther barrels but the Steyr shoots right in there with them with no work done to it at all....not even action bedding

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If I had to recommend one rifle to someone as the rifle to have the best chance to be accurate right out of the box, it would be Steyr.
Posted By: grvj Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
Have 3 of them - 2 in 7x57 (Luxus and Professional) and a 30.06 Professional Mk3 - Steyr's plastic stocked matt finish sort of beater rifle.

Older models were the SL, L , M , S (lightweight, light, medium and large(er) actions) and the military/police SSG versions-longer actions and heavy barrels. These have multiple bolt lugs at the back of the action.

Newer models are the SBS (safe bolt action) ProHunters with the tang rotary safety. All have hammer forged barrels with the spiral hammer marks left as a sort of trademark. Bolt lockup is at front of these.

I think the Euro market will buy more expensive rifles so Steyr has their core buyers there. The USA is a smaller market so shops don't usually carry many unless they specialize along with the price tag.

I have found the USA importers parts and smith very accomodating and real enthusiasts.

I feel the ProHunters are a little heavy for .308 and lighter calibers though the weight makes them shoot great even offhand. Steyr has there own lightweight versions, Gunbroker always has a few for sale.

I suppose the attraction is the pride of ownership of a firearm you don't see often along with nice workmanship...and mine shoot great!
Posted By: brif Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
I have a pro hunter in 25-06. Its a great shooter and like others have said the trigger is pretty nice as well. The stock has a funky look to it, but it feels great when you pull it up. The only thing I don't like; is that it is a bit heavy.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
At one time the importer for Steyr was in my little home town and a good friend of mine. They split several years ago and not sure who's importing them now. I got to see the ultra light rifles before they even came on market..
Posted By: HunterJim Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
Schoolmarm,

I know those guys, they are great folks and I am sorry they no longer handle Steyr-Mannlicher.

jim
Posted By: ruraldoc Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
I have six Steyrs.

Nothing else will shoot better or have a better trigger right out of the box.

I have an older Luxus full stock model M in 270 and the rest are safe bolt versions.

In Safebolts I have a 7mm-08 stainless synthetic carbine,a 270 blued synthetic rifle,a 280 stainless synthetic,a 280 deluxe blued walnut,and a 30-06 blued carbine.

I have had at least a dozen others through the years.

Never had a lemon,and I can't say that about a lot of other manufacturers' rifles.

Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by schoolmarm
At one time the importer for Steyr was in my little home town and a good friend of mine. They split several years ago and not sure who's importing them now. I got to see the ultra light rifles before they even came on market..

Was that Mr. Woods by chance?
Posted By: brianc142 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/20/11
I have a stainless synthetic pro hunter in .300 WSM. They are very nice rifles; extremely accurate out of the box, good trigger and a slick action.
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/20/11
I shot an SSG for a while in the 1990s and found it to be a pretty solid rifle. I put about 2000 rounds through it and never logged a zero change that could not be attributed to operator error.

Are the barrels still press fit? At the time the knock on them was that you could not rebarrel because none of the smiths wanted to deal with it.
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Bringing back an old thread......

Just found a Steyr Safebolt SBS 96 chambered in 6.5x55.

Not sure exactly what model it is but it comes with a walnut stock which the rifle is sitting in right now. It also comes with a synthetic stock, one magazine, factory scope bases, and the original box with papers.

All steel is matte blue, no blems anywhere but for a couple scratches on the checkering.

I can get it for $799 out the door, should I jump?????
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
eurooptic has started to import these again, I'd compare the prices of new ones. I've got one of the earlier SBS prohunters in .243. they are somewhat odd rifles, but the workmanship is pretty remakrable. I have to use warne mediums to mount the scope so it'll clear the bolt handle, i DONT like that. otherwise, a really well made rifle.
Posted By: ReadyRob Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
I have a stainless Pro Hunter in .280. It is a great rifle. I have or have had Weatherbys, Rugers, Remingtons and Tikkas. I would choose my Steyr over all of them. Shoots MOA with any ammo I run through it. The adjustable stock is a great feature when I adjust for very heavy clothing for Canada deer hunting. It is a little funky looking though.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Steyr's are great rifles, very accurate and great triggers. Mine is a ProHunter in 6.5X57. The $799 seems very fair for and extra stock and rings.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Here are a couple of the old Steyr rifles I have. The second and forth from the top say Steyr Daimler Puch .... on the receiver.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Don't know if the offer is still available but Cabelas listed 3 different versions of the Pro Hunter for $800 new. I thought hard about those since we have two Cabelas in SC now, just can't justify expanding the arsenal right now.
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Originally Posted by HunterJim
The current models use the Safe Bolt System (SBS) action that was introduced in '96. I bought my first SBS rifle in '98. My current favorite is the Mannlicher Ultra Light. Here is a factory picture.
[Linked Image]

Do they make mounts that don't look like bricks for that model?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Americans buy based on advertising and gun rags.
Steyr rifles are not marketed towards American notch markets.
Excellent rifles will few faults out of the box. Absolutely SUB MOA. world class triggers, adjustable stocks, safest rilfe made.
Posted By: littlecmonkey Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/11/14
Originally Posted by Steelringer
One thing is for sure, they shoot well.

I had one in 243 that was beautiful, but would not print minute of basketball with anything. The barrel I recall would heat up after one shot. I gladly traded it for a Sako and would never own another Steyr.
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/13/14
I think I may let it sit on their rack for a little while (hope this decision doesn't come back to bite me) and then go back to the bargaining table with them.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/13/14
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by HunterJim
[Linked Image]

Do they make mounts that don't look like bricks for that model?

If I am not mistaken they use the same bases as a browning Abolt...the bolt design makes you use the next ring height up in size.

Looked at one yesterday a stainless model in 300WSM and the workmanship especially the metalwork is crazy good for a gun priced like this.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/13/14
Originally Posted by MK257
tbear, wha tmodel do you have in .376 steyr?

Thanks,

B8

I have seen that gun up for sale at LGS with tag of around $1000. It has parkerized metal with black plastic stock plus iron sights. I think they call that pro-hunter. I passed on it because of the caliber. Nice handling and easy to carry piece if one can take face pounding. Unless it's .358, 356 or .35 Whalen I have zero use for anything beyond magnum .30.
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/14/14
My old Cooper Scout has killed game and won matches. It's fun to take to the range and shoot better groups tight sling prone at 300 yards than the magnum guys can do from the bench. They are strange looking but fit well and are very accurate. As others have said, it is one I will keep.
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/14/14
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
My old Cooper Scout has killed game and won matches. It's fun to take to the range and shoot better groups tight sling prone at 300 yards than the magnum guys can do from the bench. They are strange looking but fit well and are very accurate. As others have said, it is one I will keep.

Yep, last rifle I'd part with.
Posted By: Powder_Burn Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/14/14
I sighted-in a new Steyr Pro Hunter in 30-06 this week. The newer Pro Hunters have the black fiber reinforced stock with aluminum pillars. Average of the first three, three-shot groups averaged .84" with a mix of old 152gr Remington and new 165 gr Hornady ammo. The trigger is very good and the build quality is high. I like the tang safety and the bushing that fills the voids between lugs as a means to minimize gas escape. With a current street price under $800, there is a lot to like about them. They have more plastic than I prefer but the design is very safe and performs well.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/14/14
Good rifles, but pretty ugly. Awhile back you could get pro hunters dirt cheap at Gander Mountain.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/15/14
I got rid of all my Steyr , non System SBS96, rifles.
I also slimmed down to just the more unusual or rare versions, SBS light tacticals, 7x64 PH, iron sighted mountain 308, 376 compact, and a Grossier, which is basicly a classix mountain with iron sights and a scolloped reciver.
I really like the backup iron sights.
[Linked Image]
The 376 is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, a bit rough benchrest...but a one holer.
[Linked Image]
The Grossier is the most beautiful.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/15/14
Have owned Sako and Sauer but never Steyr,

fixed that last week.

Happened to run into two.

Got this one, cheap, at a local gunshop that was tired of it gracing their shelf,

[Linked Image]
Steyr Mountain Rifle, 308 Win. Came with 5 & 10 shot mag. Have sent off to Steyr for action screws to flush mount the 5 shot mag. Don't care forthe feel of the extended mag when slung.

Also have a Steyr Mannlicher Classic Light full stock version (5.85 lbs) in 270 Win on the way in.

[Linked Image]

Hard to resist those nice wood Mannlicher stocks.

Will try the 308 Win on some hoglets later this week.

[Linked Image]

See what kind of impression it will make.........

JAPMF

GWB
I have extra mounting screws if you haven't had them ordered yet.
Try a 165 over 42.0 gr imr4895.
Posted By: geedubya Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/15/14
I usually shoot 150 gr. Accubonds over either Varget, RL-15 or 4320.

In the past I've also done the IMR 3031 with the Sierra 165 Gr. HPBTs. I have some of those loaded and will try your recipe soon, also. Prolly tomorrow, in preparation for later in the week.

PM your way

Best,

GWB
They shoot, for sure.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NMScout308 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/16/14
I had a Jeff Cooper Scout and sold it. As soon as I shipped it I was wishing I hadn't. So a year or so later, I bought the Scout tactical model. Great rifle, but too heavy to lug around hunting. So I bought another Scout (black not Jeff Cooper model). I love these rifles. Both shoot under MOA easily with the right ammo. With the 1 in 12 twist, I haven't been able to get them to really shoot 165 or 168 grain pills all that well. But they love 150 grain, and will both shoot the same load. I'm getting 2850 out of the 19" barrel. I can work up a load on the heavy barrel and transfer that load to the shorter lighter barreled Scout, and it will shoot just as well. They are pricey, but I think you get your money's worth. This is my go to rifle, can carry 20 rounds on board, light and accurate, backup sights, dependable unless you use CCI primers. I recently picked up an AUG, fun factor 10. If anyone has questions about these rifles I'll be happy to reply, I've got quite a bit of experience with them.
Posted By: driggy Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/17/14
Here are some for sale in an Email I got from Steyr.

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/accessories/steyr-sale-specias.html

Was surprised to see a 260 Rem listed. I got a 260 as well as a 376 back in 2002. Still have the 260, shot an inland grizzly in AK with the 376. Recoil wasn't bad, just no need for a 376 in the plains states.
Posted By: huffmanite Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 12/18/14
Hmmm, my only comment about Steyr concerns their 98 mauser military actions.....nice to build on.
Posted By: ALLongshot Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 02/06/15
Bringing this one back up again for a few questions.
My Dad has a Steyr Forester with SS in 30.06. He has the box, paperwork and it has a 30mm Rocky Mountain Optics scope mounted on it. Been fired less than 20 times. It truly is a beautiful rifle.
Can someone give me a ballpark on Value of it?
Posted By: Biebs Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/17/17
I agree that Steyr is the most accurate production rifle manufacturer today. My first was a 308 Prohunter that shot near 1/4" groups with Hornady 150gr Light Mags. I have 2 now...a Steyr Classic in 270 WSM and a Luxus Take-Down bought directly from Steyr from the same list mentioned above.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/17/17
I had one in 308 Winchester back in the late 70's. It was as accurate as you could want, but miss fired often. I couldn't seem to get it repaired and let it go. I haven't wanted to try another, but from what I read here, it appears the miss fire problem has been fixed.
Posted By: Joe Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/17/17
I really like mine. Here are a couple:

[Linked Image]
.30'06 1965 MCA

[Linked Image]
Probably my favorite, a 7x57 Model M Luxus
Posted By: tvknight4150 Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/18/17
Dad has a full stock Luxus in 308. It shoots very well. His only complaint is the plastic detachable magazine gets a little wonky. I like the twisted forging where the barrel meets the receiver.
Posted By: hanco Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/18/17
Nice looking rifles
Posted By: Joe Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/18/17
The detachable mag on mine is made of steel and only holds 3 rounds but, I usually never need the 3 in reserve.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/18/17
I had a pro hunter. Extremely accurate and extremely weird looking. Hated the bolt handle.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/18/17
I have three Foresters: .260 Rem, 6.5X55 Swede and a .300 Win Mag Foresters are very rare so all three are keepers.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jericho Re: Steyr Rifles??? - 11/19/17
I handled a synthetic stock model in 6.5X55MM a couple of years ago and I thought it was a really cool rifle, dont remember the price.
© 24hourcampfire