Home
Just my favorite hunting caliber....lets see some guns!!

This 600 was my second .350...the first was a 700 Classic. Excellent shooter...would shoot 1.75" groups at 200... But after getting the 600 just found that this compact rifle to be perfect so the 700 was sold to another happy .350 owner. This 600 always wore a 1.5-5 VXIII but just recently found this 1.5-5 30mm Illuminated for $375 with the Leupold rings...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Third rifle was this Ruger 77MKII that some 19 year old in Alaska customized buy shortening the barrel to 18.25" and adding NECG front ramp and rear sights...and sold it for less than the wholesale on the gun was... Gun is built like a tank. The scope is a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 with 30mm tube...this was a true sleeper in the Tasco line...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last is a gun I have always wanted but at $2500 could never afford...a Model Seven KS Custom Shop... Ken (firearms44) found this mint one for $800.00 on GunBroker and let me buy it...scope is a 1.75-6 Leupold...total weight with sling is 7 lb. 1 oz.

[Linked Image]

So lets see yours.....

Bob
Nice guns but this cracked me up.

Originally Posted by RJM
The scope is a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 with 30mm tube...this was a true sleeper in the Tasco line...
I like the caliber. At my age no more than I get to hunt it's hard to justify a 35 cal, between what I have already in 30-06, 300 Win, 338 Win, and 375 H&H. I've probably had a half dozen over the years, the ones I've got will do everything that will do. Can't seem to get away from the others from a nostalgia point of view.
I don't have a .350 ( yet) but would like to pick up one of those All Weather Hawkeyes. Or a Classic.
I have a classic rem. No need to post pictures.
Originally Posted by tzone
Nice guns but this cracked me up.

Originally Posted by RJM
The scope is a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 with 30mm tube...this was a true sleeper in the Tasco line...

...have you looked through one??? To me Tasco was absolute GARBAGE... I had a shop in Texas and I would not sell anything they had... Everyone that came on used guns that I bought were junk...I hated to even give them away... But the Titans were totally different.

The posters on several boards raved on how good they were. Wholesale at that time was in the area of $235.00 when Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 was about $250.00...so why bother with this big bulky scope... Then I saw one at a gun show and it really impressed me. VERY bright even indoors compared to everything else in it price range on the table. Flat all the way to the edge even on 1.5 power. But it was still BIG....

When Tasco was bought by Bushnell they closed out the Titan line. My distributor sold off their remaining stock for $125.00....I bought all 50 of them....and doubled my money... I kept two for myself. One is still in the box. This one was first on Ruger #1 .405 Winchester, now the Ruger. There is about 150 rounds through the scope..no changes of zero...4 click to an inch adjustment..ZERO issues...

This scope ended up on this rifle after a baited bear hunt... It was in a very treed area in Maine...very dark even in the middle of the day. At 35 yards to the bait on a cloudy day your natural vision ran out with 20 more legal minutes of shooting time left. With the 1.5-5 Leupold I could not shoot with 10 minutes left of legal shooting time. When I got home I took the Leupold that was on the MKII and the Tasco that was on the #1 out to the woods...the bigger tube, bigger objective and ocular end and good coatings allowed longer shoot times than the Leupold....so the Leupold went to another rifle.

Now you'll think I am totally full of it... There was one of these Titans along with a Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6 sitting down at one of the local shops. They look exactly the same. Same size tube, ocular end and objective end... Both looking out the window and around the store...and it is a big store I saw no difference. The Tascos crosshair is in the second focal plane so it always remained the same size. The S&B is in the first so the crosshair (and they both had the same reticle) appears to shrink as the power goes down and get BIG when the power goes up. So for close up fast shooting the crosshair for the S&B is much smaller than the Tasco when on 1.5 power and both about the same size on high power... For close in shooting on low power I like a BIG crosshair...

Now the real shocker....dial the Tasco up and down the whole power range and the image stays flat all the way to the edge for the full range. On 6 power the image on the S&B is just like the Tasco...however once it is dialed down to about 3 power the image starts to get the fishbowl effect...and about 2.5 power THE IMAGE STARTS TO SHRINK and a black circle surrounds the whole image....don't think so...go look through one.

The shop wanted $295 for the Tasco..and $1250 for the S&B... I had a S&B 1.5-6 P&M Model scope...it is gone because it did the same thing... I still have two Titans....

Bob
I like the 350 RM.....I seen what it done to an elk in Colorado one year, Impressive.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Who else likes .350 RMs?????????????

I do - good for bear and moose.

At last count I have four;
- a M600/350RM,
- a M660/350RM,
- a M77 All Weather Stainless/350RM and finally the one I think I like best,
- a M7 Custom KS with factory irons that weighs 5 3/4 lbs sans scope.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
me!!!!!!! 600 in a brown prc. stock. leu 1.5 to 5 on top. 225 nosler only ammo i shoot.
Nice guns guys!!!

Toad..the details on your Model 7??? I have a .308 600 set up like your .350 but using the Leupold Detacho Mount and a 2X 60s vintage Refield 1" tube. I have been tempted to put a 60s vintage Leupold 2X IER scope on the .350 as I have a set ready to go but just like this 1.5-5 setup for now...

Whelen..you ever put a scope on the KS...they are a joy to hunt with aren't they...

Bob

I loved shooting my 350 RM.....a 673 guide gun. But just way too much gun for the stuff we have here in West Texas. Even hogs......if that's possible.
A list of .350s...can anyone name any more??

Remington 600

Remington 660

Remington 700 BDL

Remington 700 Classic

Remington Model 7KS

Remington Model 7MS

Remington Model 7CDL

Remington 673 Guide Rifle

Remington Custom Shop XP100 pistol

Ruger 77

Ruger 77MKII

Ruger #1...yes there are a few

Montana Rifleman will build them

Thompson Center Custom Shop Encore barrels

There was a single shot rotating breech pistol that had .350 as a standard chambering...someone remember the name? It looked like the IMI Lone Eagle... Barrels screwed onto the breechblock...wood or synthetic stock...

Who out there has a custom .350???

Bob

257...if you reload for the .350, Nosler recommends their 180 .357 Petition. At 2000-2200 fps it would be like a .357 Magnum rifle....and little kick... Also the 180 Hornady Single Shot Pistol bullet...spire point....2500 fps and would do a nice job on the piggies...

Bob
love the 350. saw my first mod 600 in mid 70's when i was a kid and wanted one ever since. took me a while but got a good deal a few years back. tack driver, deer hammer, cheek smacker. love it.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RJM
257...if you reload for the .350, Nosler recommends their 180 .357 Petition. At 2000-2200 fps it would be like a .357 Magnum rifle....and little kick... Also the 180 Hornady Single Shot Pistol bullet...spire point....2500 fps and would do a nice job on the piggies...

Bob

I know....but that just ain't me. Whatever cartridge I load....it's done up right, baby!

I was using 225 Gr. partitions at about max load. Punched little holes right through them at short range. Definitely not recommended if you want them to die fast......and I want my wild hogs to die fast. Shot one hog and it just stood there and looked at us. Shot him again close range broadside and he fell but just layed there and growled at us. I didn't have the rifle long enough to try other bullets.

The 308 with 150 TSX's does it just right for me.......every time.

Whelen..you ever put a scope on the KS...they are a joy to hunt with aren't they...

Just got it last year and yes I am enjoying carrying only 5 3/4 lbs (correct weight) around when hunting. So as yet I've not scoped it. I imagine I may test its accuracy potential with a scope some day. But I'm in no rush on that as it shoots well enough with the irons.
rem....I saw my first .350 back in the 1960s when I was just a skinny teenager... Bought a 700 BDL 30-06 instead of the 600 because all the gun writes said it kicked too much...like that 06 didn't kick the snot out of me... Wish I had bought the 600 and shot pistol bullets through it as I was shooting .357 Magnum at the time...would have been a natural pair... "Barrels too short, too much muzzle blast..." and I bought all that crap....

Took me till about 1990 to buy my first .350, a Classic, and then finally found a deal on a 600 about 2002 or so...still the slickest, raciest, sexiest carbine ever made.... :-)

257...hard to beat a .308.... I spent 11 years working and hunting in Texas and if I ever moved back there I'ld look at the .308 or .260 Remington on a short action or the .25-06 or .257 Weatherby on a long... When I lived there most of the hunting was done with a 700 .280 Remington...

Bob

ps...rem...if you don't want your cheek slapped (as bad) get a scope that can be mounted as low as possible. The 1.5-5 Leupold on a Weaver base with Leupold Low QRW rings will lower the centerline of the scope so you can get a better cheekweld....
A wonderful cartridge in a short light carbine. It makes no sense in a standard rifle.

I'd love to have a 673.
I see Hawkeyes in 350RM all over the place, it seems to me
that a company called DGA made a few of them, or maybe it
was 358s that they marketed.
Originally Posted by domit
me!!!!!!! 600 in a brown prc. stock. leu 1.5 to 5 on top. 225 nosler only ammo i shoot.

..and where is your picture!!!!!! cry

Bob
Originally Posted by Swampman700
A wonderful cartridge in a short light carbine. It makes no sense in a standard rifle.

I'd love to have a 673.

..Swamp...I am a "little" confused...

"A wonderful cartridge..."...ok

"...in a short light carbine."....ok

"It makes no sense in a standard rifle."....101% agree

"I'd love to have a 673."....now I am lost...the 673 is a BIG rifle, I think Remington called it The Guide Rifle (not Carbine)...22" barrel, very heavy laminated stock...basically a "standard rifle"..... One of my best friends bought one after shooting my 600... Loves it for stand hunting bear but hates carrying it in the woods still hunting. Carries a 660 .308 that I sold him instead... The 673 with 2.5-8 Leupld is close to 9.5 pounds all loaded up...not exactly a "short light carbine"....

Bob
Originally Posted by Jericho
I see Hawkeyes in 350RM all over the place, it seems to me
that a company called DGA made a few of them, or maybe it
was 358s that they marketed.

...and so what are you waiting for???

Don't think I ever heard of DGA...?

Bob
I have one of the Ruger allweather mkII's. A great medium bore rifle, and the only gun my wife's ever bought me. It's topped w/ a leupy 2.5x compact that I had Premier Reticles fit a 4a reticle in. Gotta love a gun that shoots a 1/2" group with your first handload.

I still need to give it a trigger job.
The bottom rifle is a 350 that came to me in a trade; she is a queen but will not ride the bench in the safe; have some 225-gr TSXs coming and will look forward to warming it up. The scope is a 4x S&B in Talley QR with a ghost ring at the front of the rear base. A little heavy for my tastes at 8.5lbs as you see it but so it goes.

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

It's magazine is 3.15" long so as you can see the 250-gr Horn IL seats out barely taking up the neck of the case--not that such details matter laugh smile

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]
NIB SS Ruger M77 Mk II. Had a NEGC banded front sight put on then the rifle was coated.

Attached picture ruger 350_03.JPG

Nice looking rig!
Do you guys like the 600s or the 660s better?
Here's a pic of my Rem Mod 7 MS I picked up off GA

[Linked Image]

Found a 7mm-08 just a couple of weeks ago on GB. These are very nice light weight hunters.
One i've done a lot of gunnin' with lately....673 with a 1-3/4 - 6 Luepold. Makes things leak badly....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MarkFed

I like the 660's much better.
A little more barrel length and no goofy rib!
I like the balance of the 600...dispite the "goofy" (sexy) rib....

Goodnews...that is one beautiful rifle. As to the cartridge lengeth, HANLOADER Magazine did an article many years ago with the .350 RM. They found that bullets seated so that the base of the bullet was even at the bottom of the neck is where they got the best accuracy from the rifle... With your longer box this would be perfect..... I have since started loading all my rounds, .223, .308 and others like that when I can and it works...

Bob
coalgeo....beautiful gun....it is a lot like the 20" Ruger M77 Compact Magnum Rifle. Wish they would bring that one out in .350 RM...would be just about perfect...

Bob
Originally Posted by MarkFed

i like the 600 better. i'm big on little, powerful guns even if they are hard on the shoulder, cheek and ears. the 660 is nice too but i like the rib on the 600. i would like the ruger rsi in 350. of course i would also like it in 35 remington and a few others.
Being the rifle looney that I am, I'm always on the lookout for something I can't live without. I may not know that, till I spy it.
Found this the other day. It had been previously enjoyed in a conscientious manner. The previous owner was nice enough to glass bed the action, free float the barrel, install a Sako extractor in the bolt and do a trigger job.
It will be fun to pop Texas piggies with.
May just make it my truck gun.

[Linked Image]

Remington 673 Guide Gun, 350 Rem. Mag

GWB
The later All-Weather mkII M77 350RMs built on the WSM actions were the ticket. I installed a partridge blade front and a ghost ring rear sight. The rifle is short, light, and has a big mag box and proper twist for loading 250s. It was a great rifle to keep in the bottom of the boat or canoe. It would also be a great rifle for a puddle jumper. My hunting partner is now using it as a pack rifle and I can't get it back.

Later smile
My wife shoots the Model 7 Kevlar in .350 with Speer 250gr. It is the only bullet that her gun shoots well. She's 5 ft 00 and 110 lbs and handles it with ease, also shoots my .450 Ackley. She shot lion, leopard, kudu, eland, and numerous other game ,but used the .450 for cape buffalo. The .35 with a 250gr. bullet at 2500fps hits just as hard as any .375 H&H. I used it on Sharpes Grysbok, stopped it in it's tracks.
Love My Model Seven CDL. What recoil? Don't own a camera.
Just picked up another M7 CustomKS in 350RM. Hope my Custom Shop twins play nice together. Interestingly the bolt knobs differ - one checkered (Oct1990) and one plain (June1991).
[Linked Image]

I prefer a light gun with thump. Weight is unloaded with iron sights.
[Linked Image]
Whelen B. - My CDL weighs abought 7-3oz..w/sights. What stock do I need to drop some weight down to that 5.75 LBS.? I've looked @ Brown and McMillan and don't want to pay that kind of price. What else is out there?
I am in the club with a Ruger M77MkII stainless/synthetic topped with a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8 and Warne rings. My brother bought the same rifle in blued/wood.

Currently shooting 250 gr Hornady Sps at about moa but I think I can get them better. May try the new Barnes 200gr TTSX, yes tipped triple shock.
Whelen B. - My CDL weighs abought 7-3oz..w/sights. What stock do I need to drop some weight down to that 5.75 LBS.? I've looked @ Brown and McMillan and don't want to pay that kind of price. What else is out there?

Going to be difficult without spending the big bucks on an ultralight stock and maybe rebarreling or slimming the barrel profile also. My Custom KS rifles have both. The barrel contour seems much slimmer than the standard factory taper found on my M600 and M660 in 350RM. The KS stock weighs in at around 24ozs.
What's the empty weight on the Ruger MKII?
I'm plenty happy with my 350 at a hair over 7lb scoped- no lighter for me! Unless a McMillan compact is better at controlling recoil than the M7. This thing is lively with a 200 TSX and a good load of TAC.

Has anyone seen the new TTSX?

[Linked Image]
Mine's on a Rem long action in a Clifton bipod stock....kind of fond of it!!!

[Linked Image]

wes in AZ
I was looking at the Clifton stock many years ago. Are they still made? I haven't been able to locate him.

TK
Originally Posted by tkinak
I was looking at the Clifton stock many years ago. Are they still made? I haven't been able to locate him.

TK

No , Brent quit making them years ago and I've lost contact with him.

Neat stocks... not a heavy duty bipod , but dang handy when needed!
What's the empty weight on the Ruger MKII?

I have an all weather stainless in 350RM and the rifle itself weighs only 7 lbs. 3 oz. unloaded without the rings. The factory rings weigh a hefty 5 ozs themselves - total being 7 lbs. 8 oz. unloaded without a scope.
Would it not be nice to see some new reloading data with a 22" barrel and a variety of powders including new powders? The case has more capacity than a 35 Whelen in a shorter column, yet some books show less velocity, come on Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra.
Barnes shows some pretty stiff loads. They seem to like TAC.
© 24hourcampfire