Home
Posted By: Dogger Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
I own a Remington Model 700 CDL in 280 Remington and it is set up with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope and a real purty leather Montana Sling.

I figure I will buy myself a Ruger M77 Mark II chambered in 270 Winchester, mount a Leupold 4X scope on it, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling with the nylon web and non-slip lining.

With these two rifles, I will be able to have endless arguments with myself over which scope is better, which cartridge is better, which sling is better, which ballistics are better, which trigger is better, which action is more reliable, which rifle is stone cold reliable in the stone cold weather, etc etc etc.

It just doesn't get any better than this. Even when my wife is off visiting her mother, I can stil have constant disagreement going on with my gun hobby...

It doens't get any better than this. To keep the fight even, I am going to make sure the 270 stock is walnut...
Posted By: Bandito Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
You are going to shoot your eye out...;)
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
one can learn many things on the internet, but winning an argument ain't one of them.
I would get a Winchester 70 in .270, and put a Leupold 6x42 on top, and then get a Ruger in .30-06 and put the Leupold 4x33 on that. Don't forget to AI your .280 as well!
Posted By: deg967 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
I think you should have a custom rifle built based on a Wilcat in a .277 1/2 caliber just to keep things interesting
Posted By: deg967 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter
I would get a Winchester 70 in .270, and put a Leupold 6x42 on top, and then get a Ruger in .30-06 and put the Leupold 4x33 on that. Don't forget to AI your .280 as well!

Hey SharpShooter...I gotta Win Featherweight in .270. Arguments are running a little low around here..(its the only deer rifle i have ) besides my muzzy. frown
Posted By: Karnis Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
All youz guys go to the classifieds and settle the argument.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
Don't put those rifles next to each other in the cabinet, unless you want to be constantly breaking up fights.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
Both of those suck. Instead you should buy a....
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
If you already own a Remington, you'll be unhappy with another brand. Been there done that many times.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
If the 280 were in a Featherweight 70 with the Conquest then you would have something wink
Originally Posted by Swampman700
If you already own a Remington, you'll be unhappy with another brand. Been there done that many times.

If they are the best in the world, why do you keep buying other brands an being disappointed?

Do you repeatedly stick your mits in wall sockets to see if it's going to hurt again?
I keep trying other brands to see if they've improved yet. I'm done with that.
Stupid Troll
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
Well at least shooter' done..........until he gets another handle.......g
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
Originally Posted by Dogger
I own a Remington Model 700 CDL in 280 Remington and it is set up with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 scope and a real purty leather Montana Sling.

I figure I will buy myself a Ruger M77 Mark II chambered in 270 Winchester, mount a Leupold 4X scope on it, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling with the nylon web and non-slip lining.

With these two rifles, I will be able to have endless arguments with myself over which scope is better, which cartridge is better, which sling is better, which ballistics are better, which trigger is better, which action is more reliable, which rifle is stone cold reliable in the stone cold weather, etc etc etc.

It just doesn't get any better than this. Even when my wife is off visiting her mother, I can stil have constant disagreement going on with my gun hobby...

It doens't get any better than this. To keep the fight even, I am going to make sure the 270 stock is walnut...
.....................If I already owned a 280 Remy and if it were me, I wouldn`t spend any more money to get another rifle (Ruger or otherwise) that I certainly didn`t need. Getting a 270 for the sole purpose of simply arguing more with yourself???.....LOL!!!!!!!!!......Not much overlapping between a 280 and a 270 uh? Naaaa!

Now that sounds like a "real good excuse" to get another rifle. Haven`t heard of that one before. laugh laugh laugh laugh

Go ahead and get a 270 Ruger. You`ll be arguing with yourself a very long time....... laugh
..............I`ll offer 5 cents on the dollar for every rifle that you still have but don`t like!........................

I`ll get Swampy`s rejects to shoot well.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Well at least shooter' done..........until he gets another handle.......g

It will be back
Posted By: Dogger Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
I like Rugers more than I like Remingtons... I realize this is weird on the Campfire. But I have a Ruger Mark II in 6mm Remmie which is the last rifle I will ever part with. And a Mark II in 7x57. And a Mark II in 300RSAUM. My Remmies (280 and 25-06) are both CDL and almost too dang purty to take to the woods. Remington triggers definitely better. But I ain't afraid to beat the heck out of a Ruger in the woods -- and everyone knows the 270 deserves a good beatin'!! I need a Ruger in 270 in a really bad way!!! See, I am arguing with myself already.
I don't have any non-Remingtons left. I sold them at a loss and had trouble selling them.
I imagine so. I wouldn't buy any gun you owned.
I don't have any non-Remingtons left. I sold them at a loss and had trouble selling them.
.............Hope you buy some NON Remys again someday. I`ll be your "huckleberry" @ 5 cents on the dollar when it comes time to dump `em....
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
You need to buy a Model 70 30/06 so you don't have to chose between the other two.
I imagine so. I would buy any gun you owned.

Make sure he includes the golf cart gun turret mount
All you will do is come to the conclusion that you need *** YET ANOTHER *** gun. Life is so good...
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11
The trouble with getting a Ruger and a Remington is that they are both gonna fight over who is going the be the Alpha alpha...they both start with 'R'. Like the old saying goes, opposites attract...so get a good Savage and Tikka instead. wink Since one starts with an 'S' and the other a 'T', they will get along fine. And they'll get along even better if you get them in the Universally Accepted Superior calibers of 7mm Remington Magnum and .30-06. grin
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/08/11

I figure I will buy myself a Ruger M77 Mark II
chambered in 270 Winchester, mount a Leupold 4X scope on it, and a Butler Creek Mountain Sling with the nylon web and non-slip lining.

Problem solved. cool
Posted By: Dogger Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Uh oh... the problem with adding a Winchester Model 70 to the line-up (and I am a complete sucker for the schnabel featherweight btw) is then I will have to argue over burst cases and hot gasses coming back into my face because of that "design flaw"... And by all rights, if I bought a 270, it should really be chambered in the Rifleman's Rifle... which causes another argument over why I chose the Ruger instead. This could possibly be offset if I bought the 270 in the Winchester (and just not shoot it for fear of those hot gasses in the raceway) and buy a Ruger in 6.5x55, since everyone knows the 6.5 will do all the 270 can and then some, which starts another argument.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Get a Model 70 Featherweight 7x57 and you get rid of all the other guns wink
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Soooo, if the 6.5x55 on the one hand and the 280 Rem and 7mm Rem Mag on the other hand, will do everything the 270 can, and then some, what, pray tell, is the .270's raison d'etre??? A man might be better off forgoing the .270 entirely and getting a more useful cartridge, like a .243 Winchester.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Get a Model 70 Featherweight 7x57 and you get rid of all the other guns wink

Right idea, only you suffered a few typographical errors...it should have read "Get a Savage .25-06". cool
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Manybe if it's an FN.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Manybe if it's an FN.

Swamp, FN don't come in a Green Box, ain't Remington. You're lowering yourself by even mentioning the unmentionable. The reason you can't sell a non Green gun is all the negative karma you put out on the very piece you're trying to sell. Then, you just gotta give it away to prove to yo-self that Green is best and all the rest of'em is just ___.

It's a hang up betwixt yo ears, Green box stuff, notwithstanding...

DF
I just can't warm up to a rifle that won't shoot at least MOA. I try......

I hear the FNs will...
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Go buy one, so we can hear you lie about how it didn't shoot either.

No thanks, two 6 MOA Winchesters cured me.
Another fib.

Swampy, you shot 6 MOA not the rifles.

laffin'
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11

Just wait until you start calling yourself names and cussing yourself over the internet..........

Someone add this one to the list....
I'd be willing to take one of those guns, bet swampy a grand I could knock a decent sized grapefruit off of his head @ 400 yds.

Then center punch him in the chest. wink

Just kidding swampy! grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
alpinecrick,

I'm wondering if he'd eventually have to put himself on "ignore."

But Swampy's hero Carlos Hatcock shot a.......................
whoever the hell he was crazy

One of the Remington boltguns fired by Carlos Hatcock.

Carlos Hathcock did some pretty fine shooting with a non FN Model 70. Of course he wasn't an idiot.
This is a tough crowd.

I bet it would be fun to get this bunch on a patio some night around a fire with a case of beer and just listen to it all...

You got a preference in beer, Swampy, or are you like me...drink most anything that's cold and wet?
(and Remington doesn't make a beer, so don't even... grin)
I don't drink.

Carlos had to use what the Corps issued. At least he had the advantage of using the .30-06 which gave him about 200 more yards of effective range.
Ok. We'll let the others knock off the case. You and me'll drink something else. I'm a sweet tea man, myself. Name your poison.
Swamp need to get that FN M-70. It would be available real cheap to one of us in a heart beat. I'm game. Do I get to pick the caliber...? He could even ship it in a Green box...

DF
You can keep that FN Model 70 until they learn to put the bolt on the proper side! Just sayin'..
I have two T/C .17 Remingtons. One has a factory 26" barrel and gets righteous velocity out of that cartridge. The other has a 16 1/4" Bulberry barrel on it, and the whole rig is camo'ed up. They argue constantly...

"I'm the speed merchant!!!"

'But I'm the stealth warrior!!!"

yada, yada, yada

Dang guns are as bad as women...
If I put a T/C in my safe all of the other rifles would climb out and puke laugh
I drink a 6 pack of Fresca a day.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
If I put a T/C in my safe all of the other rifles would climb out and puke laugh

Completely natural response...fear can have that effect. wink

DUMPHUCKTITUDE THY NAME IS SWAMPMAN.
Glad you have a sense of humor Del laugh
No worries, bro! It's all good!

Now, laddies, I'll be off to get horizontal. It's 2200 hrs here, and I have to roll out at 0415.

You boys have fun and I'll catch y'all tomorrow evening.
I'm looking at an autographed copy of "White Feather, Carlos Hathcock, USMC Scout Sniper" by Chandler. Before 1967, Carlos carried a Model 70, 30-06 with med heavy barrel wearing a long 8X Unertl target scope. That's the rifle used to make the famous shot thru the scope the NVA sniper was using in their famous jungle duel. That NVA rifle was a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 with a 3.5X sniper scope.

After 1967, the M-70 was replaced by a M-40 .308 Rem 700 with a 3-9 Redfield. That gun was burned in the amtrac explosion that almost cost Carlos his life. He was badly burned, taking years to recover. He also packed a Colt 1911. The M-70 was turned in when he was issued the M-40 and no one is sure which M-70 he used. Records aren't complete and Carlos couldn't remember the serial number.

DF
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
alpinecrick,

I'm wondering if he'd eventually have to put himself on "ignore."

Now that made me laugh out loud!.......
Posted By: deg967 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11

You must work there..sold every Rem I had except my "house gun" , a model 17 20gauge. Cut down but legal and throws an impressive pattern at 7 steps with
#3 buck wink
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11

Now I know why guys treat you the way they do.

I have a smoothbore 12 ga slug gun and an old pitted bore open sighted 30-30 lever that will both shoot groups half that size.

I don't think I've ever even SEEN an honest 6 MOA gun, no matter how bad or worn.
Posted By: Swampman1 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Because I tell them the truth?

I don't think I've ever even SEEN an honest 6 MOA gun, no matter how bad or worn.

I've owned several 6 MOA boltguns. 2 were Winchesters and one was a Ruger. I've seen plenty more.
Posted By: ColdBore Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/09/11
Originally Posted by Swampman1
Originally Posted by ColdBore

Because I tell them the truth?

I've owned several 6 MOA boltguns. 2 were Winchesters and one was a Ruger. I've seen plenty more.

I'm as much of a die-hard M700 guy as anybody, but you really are crazy. crazy
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/10/11
Swampy,

Are you telling me that you've owned several 6 moa guns?? And I'm to understand that these were rifles? Not milsurps?

Bro, I can understand a man being a Remington man, or a Kimber man, or a Savage man, or whatever. We all have our favorites and our preferences.

But sometimes, when you say things like that, you impeach your own credibility and cast a shadow over everything that you say.

Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/10/11
I also had 2 more Rugers that were 4-5 MOA rifles that I forgot about.

If I gave the impression that I care wheather folks believe me or not, I'm sorry.

These were all new (or like new) rifles.

Mostly dramatic vertical or horizontal stringing as the barrel heated up and cooled down.

Never had an issue with a Model 700 Remington, and I've owned dozens.
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/10/11
Don't worry his rifle experience mirrors his shipping experience.......none at all!!!
Posted By: ldholton Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/10/11

you will have to get anouther screen name so you can fight with yourself LOL
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/10/11
Originally Posted by ldholton

you will have to get anouther screen name so you can fight with yourself LOL

You mean something like Dogger700 and Dogger1?

DF
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/11/11
Swampy,
Apology accepted. It's all good.

I was just trying to say that since you post, you are obviously trying to contribute in a meaningful way to the forum. But when you post such things that are so discordant with the experiences of everyone else, not to mention reason and logic, your contributions are compromised by concerns about the veracity of your proffered assertions. I want what you say to be given the credence that it should, and that you expect and deserve, but when you repetitiously promulgate such counterintuitive contentions it makes it difficult, nay, impossible to do that.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Constantly arguing... - 03/11/11
Before you get all mushy here are a couple of links
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/4461660/The_wisdom_of_Swampman700

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,219966.0.html
© 24hourcampfire