Home
Posted By: DillWeasel Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Does front sight hood do anything other than protect the front sight blade?
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Keeps sun off the front blade. Direction the light is hitting the blade will cause you to hold different.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Keeps sun off the front blade. Direction the light is hitting the blade will cause you to hold different.

Keeps the rain off, too.

DF
Posted By: medicman Re: Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Except for the CZ habit of leaving the top open to allow light to illuminate the front site.

Randy
Posted By: Homesteader Re: Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Medicman - you have it all wrong. The CZ slot on top of the hood lets in the light and rain so moss can grow on the sight. It's CZ's way of going "green" (don'tcha know). Homesteader.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Front sight hood - 03/10/11
Some give a lot of thought on size of the hood and placement of the front post within the hood. You can actually have the hood regulated so that you can quickly paint center mass with the hood to hit very close to center out to around 25-30 yards. I went through some specialized training with a Sig machine gun that had such a regulated hood for close quarter engagement; I liked the simplicity so much that I did the same with a set of Recknagel sights I placed on one of my bear rifles. I pick up the top of the front post for precise placement at distance, but I can paint with the hood for fast close-in shots.

Best smile
© 24hourcampfire