Home
Posted By: Buzzsaw .270 WSM....OWNERS ONLY please - 03/26/11
.270 WSM shooters, I need your reports on your experiences with this caliber. PLEASE, just actual experiences, no opinions or hearsay. Don't want a pissin match about which is best, JUST .270 WSM only. Looking fo accuracy reports, load data, recoil comparisons, hunting reports, overall thoughts on your experiences, etc.
Thanks
i have one on a ruger MKII SS. Have shot two caribou, two deer and an exotic sheep in TX with it. I like it quite a bit and it doesn't recoil all that bad. Using RL22 and 140X's....
I can't add much but will say this. I picked up a Remington Model 7 CDL in 270 WSM.

Factory ammo out of the box I am getting 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" groups at 80 yrds. for 3 shots.

Recoil doesn't feel any more then a 30-06.
Posted By: RDW Re: .270 WSM....OWNERS ONLY please - 03/26/11
My first was a Savage 16 that I bought for my Elk hunt in 2008. I used a 130 TSX to take a 5x6 at 195 yards; I found reasonable accuracy although I didn't do a lot of load development with that rifle. Actual felt recoil with 130's seems about the same as my 308 with 165's.

I have only shot one Elk and one Whitetail Buck in my life because my time to hunt has been limited. The Elk hunt was a gift from my Uncle and I am dang proud of my Bull although the successful hunt does not prove anything as far as the 270WSM or the TSX is concerned but here are pictures. The 130gr TSX is next to a 140gr Accubond for scale. He was quartering away and I was shooting down at about 45 degrees, the TSX went in behind the rearmost rib, clipped the bottom of the spine and was inside the hide on the opposite chest.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I sold the Savage and bought an Extreme Weather because I liked the rifle a lot better than the Savage and stuck with the 270WSM because I believe the cartridge is a keeper. I have multiple cartridges including a 6mm Remington and a 308 that will do everything the 270WSM will do as far as hunting but this the only 270 or magnum I own.

I have spent more time with load development in the EW and have found several combinations that provide less than 1" groups at 100 yards but I am still working in a consistent load.

I have used H4350, RL17, H1000 and Supreme 780, RL17 causes sticky bolt lift at the upper end charges.

I wish Nosler offered a 120gr Ballistic Tip but in the absence of that bullet, I am loading mostly 130gr and 150gr BT's. I want to try TTSX's, Berger VLD's and Sierra Matchkings for fun.

Dave
I had a Kimber MT in 270 WSM... to me it makes more sense in that light barreled rifle than the 300 WSM. Mine was plenty accurate, though not as fast as some report. But I'm likely a bit more conservative than some.

If I still had one I'd load up 150 NP's at around 3,000 fps and do everything with that...
Great stuff, thanks guys...Beautiful family Rich!!!

I forgot to ask if there are any regrets buying the .270 WSM
Win 70 classic groups about 1 1/2" at best but did get mulie doe at about 160 yards with 140 NPT. Went about 10 yards, good eating.
I've got an Extreme Weather, .270 WSM and have had it since about late Oct. Before that, I had a Kimber Montana, .270 WSM that I fought and spent lottsa money on for about 4 years. Do a search here & on Accuratereloading .com for that.
I've just begun really working with the Extreme Weather - been too cold to shoot all winter. I have a .270 Win. and only use 150 gr. bullets in it. The same will be for the WSM. So far, this rifle looks as if it's gonna be a keeper and once I find a load it really likes could well be my primary one for hunting. So far, I can easily get about 1 - 1/1/4" groups and often times, under an inch. With a near max charge of Retumbo, I chrono about 3210 FPS with a 150 Sierra. I've gotten close to that with a near max. charge of IMR-7828 SSC. One poster on AccurateReloading told me he got about 3214 (or so) with a max charge of RLDR-19 and a 150 Partition. I tried that powder just yesterday with a 150 Sierra and with 62.0 grs. came up with 2957 FPS. Little more than I get with my .270 Win. and a 150 Partition. I don't think RLDR-19 is the powder with this weight bullet for the WSM. This next week, I'm hoping to try Rldr-25 with the 150 Sierra. I use Sierra's for load work up then generally use Partitions however, once I get my hunting load worked out for this, I most likely will be going to a 150 NorthFork.
After the positive results I've had with my .270 Win. here in AK., there is no doubt in my simple mind that the WSM can be nothing but more of a good caliber. I've always used my .338 WM on our moose hunts but this year, I'm gonna be tempted to take the WSM just to see what it would do on a a moose. IMHO, there's no reason this cartridge can't be loaded to at least around 3150 FPS using a 150 gr. bullet with good results.
Good luck & have fun.
Bear in Fairbanks

Addendum:
When I first got this rifle, I got a box of Federal Fusion, 150 gr. cartridges for use as a baseline for accuracy & velocity. Grouping was 1 1/2" for 5 shots but 3 went into 1.0". Velocity for the 5 shots was 2962 on average. To me, very anemic. I reload anyway but thought this was interesting. I think the .270 WSM is a reloading proposition.
B.I.F.
I have the LH Model 70 in 270 WSM and i restocked it in the McMillian Classic Stock. The rifle has had only one load tried in it. Win Brass, Nosler 140 gr Accubond , MagPro and WLRM Primers. My rifle groups this load 1/2 inch to 3/4 consistence. So had no reason to try anything else. Very flat shooting. It is defintlly a step aboue the regular 270 and the best of the WSM series of rounds in my opinion. You won't go wrong if you decide on the 270 version over the 300 or 7mm. Deer will hate you for the choice.
I have one in a Browning A-bolt. I got it new in 2002 and have shot a couple elk, 1 pronghorn, around a dozen deer and even a couple prarie dogs. I have never had any feed isues. As a mater of fact my A-bolt feeds the WSM round smooth as silk. I load 140 grn Accubonds for mine and run them just a drop over 3000

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have a Sako 75 270 WSM. It did take awhile to find a .5 inch (three shot) load but it shot alot of loads into 1 to 1.25 inches.

I finally found IMR4350 with 130 grain bullets to be the .5 ticket but it will only run them only a little over 3200 fps. It will also shoot .5 with RL17 but I have not chronographed them yet.

I have killed several antelopes and deer with it with good results. I would not be afraid of any elk with it.

Dink
M70 Super Shadow. Dropped it in a HS Precision stock. Shoots 130gr AB's at about 3250 using H4831sc. 5 or 6 mature WT bucks, none took a step. No bullets recovered. Nice rig!
Great info, sounds like the .270WSM is a winner. I have a 7mmWSM in a heavy F-Class gun and it's very accurate but the gun is just too heavy to hunt with. That Winchester 70 E Weather just keeps coming up here. Thanks for all the reports.
No complaints with the 270 WSM. It flat out shoots. This is a 3 shot group out of a M70 FW.
[Linked Image]
Kimber 8400 Classic here. I shoot 130 gr Interbonds over 67 gr of RL19. That gets 3360 FPS and shoots great out of that rifle. I have killed 3 deer, 2 hogs, 2 cow chasing dogs, and a coyote with it thus far. Everything fell on the spot.
I have a Sako 75 synthetic stainless shoots .5 with the following factory loads Federal 140gr accubonds, and 150gr Winchester points have not shot any thing else yet.one comment
the difference in recoil and noise between the 140gr & 150gr
Federal AB'S & Winchester PP's were staggering its like you
were shooting a 7mm08 and a 7mm Rem mag I was shocked at the
difference however both were .5 moa as accuracy goes. I have
2 boxes of Winchester 140gr AB's that I have yet to try. As
far as the gun goes I love it just a little heavy because I
am so use to hunting with my Weatherby Ultra Light in .280 Rem

I've had a Kimber Montana and a couple of M70 FW's in 270 WSM.Generally accuracy was good to very good;velocities with 130 gr bullets was over 3200, but I did not bother chasing the factory 130 gr loads which IIRC went about 3280 or so from my rifles.

I sold them all because none were appreciably lighter than my 7 Rem Mags,and pretty much what one will do the other will do as well.
Originally Posted by Bear_in_Fairbanks
IMHO, there's no reason this cartridge can't be loaded to at least around 3150 FPS using a 150 gr. bullet

I couldn't get there without stiff bolt lift with any powder including Retumbo. But that's a sample of one.

I really think 3,050 +/- is a realistic goal for a 150. But I'm likely a bit more conservative than some.
3250 with 130's out of my NH M70. Fantastically accurate and feeds cartridges like greasy sausages.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MTM Re: .270 WSM....OWNERS ONLY please - 03/26/11
Browning A Bolt, 140gr Accubond, RL19.
Favorite hunting rifle, accurate, recoil not bad.
I currently use a Sako 75 Finnlight in the 270 WSM. I've killed 5 Dall Sheep, 2 black bears and, a couple coyotes, not alot of game but a decent start. I've never recovered a bullet from any of em but they were all broadside w/ the exception of one ram that was shot in the neck, all shots were inside 200 yds except for the ram I shot this last fall. Two rams were shot w/ 140 Accubonds one dropped, one wobbled for 10 yards and fell over. 3 were shot w/ 140 TSX, same results 2 dropped in their tracks and one walked 10 yards and laid down. One bear required one shot, I gave the other 2 and he was hit w/ an 06 also.

It seems fairly accurate w/ everything I've shot out of it but I haven't shot alot of different bullets. It likes the factory Accubonds really well, but my favorite load right now is 140 TSX and 66.5gr of RL-22. It shoots 5 shot groups I could cover w/ a nickel at 100 and groups I could cover w/ a silver dollar at 200. It doesn't have a kick that is really worth mentioning it's pleasant to shoot.

This has pretty much become my pet rifle and if I go anywhere it goes w/ me. The more I carry it the more I like it. I would really like to take it back to my home state of Montana. I think it would give me a better opportunity to try different loads and bullets and really find out what it can do. All in all I've been very pleased.
Had one and ran it next to a normal 270 WCF. It was no faster, no more accurate and killed no better or worse. Feeding was a bit more of an issue, as it seems to be with all the short fatties.
Swapped it even for the same rifle in 300 Winchester Magnum which is a more flexible caliber for all North American big game and has no feeding or life expectency issues.
I have all 3 of the 270 cal saying the 270 win shoot as fast as a 270wsm or 270 roy is bull [bleep]. lots slower the win,270 I shot a carbou with 270wsm the 130 gr put stuff after shot 15 to 20 yards from where hit hope it helps but will say this Its about the best cal to buy for anything you will hunt in the U.S.or canada
I have a Borden rifle in 270 wsm. For a while I tried almost everything to get it to shoot accurately. I tried RL22, and Imr 4350 w/ 110gr TTSX's and could not even get a solid 1" group. I even bought a box of Federal 110 TTSX's, it patterned and not grouped. Then I bought a lb of H4831 and tried 130gr Accubond and the rifle responded by giving 1/2" moa. Then, AFTER I made about 100 loads of the Accubonds I ran a string of 110gr TTSX's and they shot 1/2" groups too! I wish I would have listened to the Barnes manuel and used their most accurate powder listed because it really likes the H formula.

However, I am not getting the velocity that others report. Using a max load of H and 130 Accubonds I am at 3170fps. i am quite sure I am a couple hundred fps faster w/ the use of the Barnes, but w/ having all those bullets made and then having a Leupold CDS using the recipe, I figure that will be just fine.
...I have a Sako 75 Stainless Synthetic with Magnaport in .270WSM that shoots .5" to .75" at 100 yds with regular ole Nosler Custom Ammo using 140 gr Accubond. The caliber in this rife feels like a diet .243 and I've never recovered a bullet...shoots extremely flat and has enough energy to easily handle anything out their in North America excluding the big bears up North. Of the WSM calibers, this one has been the most popular according to an inside corporate guy just South of me in Springfield (Bass Pro Exec) fwiw.
We do have a couple of .270's down in the vault but my hunter is a .270-WSM in a model 70 Winchester. It has not been hunted that much as I have several other calibers. However, I can tell you that my handloads with a 130 Nosler Accubond bullet churn out 3370fps using IMR-7828 powder. This load is HOT but not excessive pressure in my rifle and it is very accurate off the bench to the tune of .423-MOA

It is plenty for any deer or antelope, I would in a pinch even use it on bull elk if I didn't have several bigger calibers for such game. It is a step ahead of the .270 Winchester for sure. All deer I have shot ( 85 to 250 yds) with this rifle have been complete pass throughs, with a 1 inch exist hole.
If I get drawn for a Montana Mule Deer tag this year, this is the rifle I am planning on taking w/ me!
Originally Posted by savage62
I have all 3 of the 270 cal saying the 270 win shoot as fast as a 270wsm or 270 roy is bull [bleep]. lots slower the win,270 I shot a carbou with 270wsm the 130 gr put stuff after shot 15 to 20 yards from where hit hope it helps but will say this Its about the best cal to buy for anything you will hunt in the U.S.or canada

I have a 270W w/ 25 inch Douglas bbl that runs 150gr NBT's ~3085fps, 130gr NPT's just shy of 3200fps. And that rifle and 150gr load have been hooked up to a Oehler M43 Ballistics Lab and was under max pressure (slightly under anyway wink ).

But most folks forget to compare equal bbl lengths when comparing magnums to standard cartridges.........
I have had 5 of 'em - still have 3. All Win M70's. All of 'em have shot MOA or better. My whitetail rifle is a M70 SS Classic in a McSwirley Supergrade. It feeds great. It shoots 0.5MOA with H4831/H4831SC and 130gr TSX's @ ~3300fps - honestly haven't tried anything else 'cause I've been more than happy with this combo.

If you reload, there's no drawback to the 270WSM IMHO. I am a WSM fan - I have 5 currently (my 270WSM, a 270WSM each for my 2 boys, a 7WSM and a 300WSM). It cracks me up when people talk about 'em going obsolete or brass becoming unavailable - check out how much brass is offered for truly obsolete cartridges.
Have had 1 still have it. Kimber with english before they called them select. Shoots 130 partitions into 1/2 to 3/4 in all of the time. I've only killed 3 head with it, a 155" and a 166" whitetail and a 366" elk all drt. Recovered the 130 out of the bull under hide on the offside looking just like it should. The elk showed more shock facture ( nor sure how to word that) than any animal I've ever shot other than a bang flop. He just instantly looked very distressed and than fell over. It was like You kicked him in the ____.
My son-in-law bought a Sako A7 in .270 WSM, and is very satisfied with it so far. Added a Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest on Signature rings, helluva scope!

I helped him sight it in, using Federal loaded with Barnes 130s. Grouped very close to an inch, and sure it would have done better had we gotten right serious about it.

For a light rifle like the A7, or Tikka T3, really recommend swapping out the recoil pad with a Limbsaver. This caliber, even with 130s, still has some bite to it.

Savage 111 with a Leupold 2-7x on board, have had it for a few years. I only shoot factory stuff. Mine really likes Federal Vital Shok 140gr Accubonds. 3 shots into 3/4 inch works for me.
Deer don't like it though.

What I have found is it doesn't much like Winchester PP 150gr stuff. Accuracy was ok but every box I have fired from multiple sources/lots has resulted in very stiff bolt lift. Not very comforting to say the least.

Planning to acquire a Tikka this year.
It's my favorite deer round. 140gr Accubonds enter with an attitude, tear up everything nearby and throw the mess out a nice sized hole on the other side. I remember seeing a 6ft shaft of blood flying out the other side of one buck I shot when the light was just right. I killed 2 feral Goats with one shot with the 140gr Accubonds too, dropped them both within a couple feet of each other.

I have noticed different velocities with the same loads in different rifles. My Sako M-85 with a long throat is slower than my Kimber 8400's. The Browning lever action takedown is slower too but it also has a shorter barrel.

Great, flat shooting, hard hitting round....................DJ
this thread needs more pictures... here's a rat i shot....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

prior to the stock change....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Hated my 270WSM but that probably had more to do with the Tikka T3 than the cartridge itself.

Despite what savage62 says my 24" 270 Winchester pushes nearly every 130gr bullet to 3200fps+ with Magpro reaching 3250+. Heck, it shoots cheap Federal blue box 130's to 3240 as verified by 3 different chronographs. My 270WSM T3 struggled mightily to beat it and only a very few loads could reach 3300fps with a 130.

I'll never own another WSM given my experience with the 7WSM and the 270WSM.
100gr Hornady SP 63grs of V100 current favorite for Javelina

I had a Winchester M70 cheapo super shadow wal mart special. Sold it to a guy in Alaska. Really liked it, but if I were to buy another one, it would be in 7mm WSM. Really like the whole short action magnum concept. Mine was extremely accurate. Killed one elk, and quite a few deer and hogs. On the elk I used a 140 TSX. Most of the deer and hogs were killed with ballistic tips, but also a few of the old Nosler Solid Bases. Pretty destructive with the Ballistic Tips, but that never bothered me.
Paul's right, needs more pics...
gave mine a makeover because she was ugly as sin:
[Linked Image]

Killed a decent bull with her before the makeover:
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by savage62

I have a 270W w/ 25 inch Douglas bbl that runs 150gr NBT's ~3085fps, 130gr NPT's just shy of 3200fps. And that rifle and 150gr load have been hooked up to a Oehler M43 Ballistics Lab and was under max pressure (slightly under anyway wink ).

But most folks forget to compare equal bbl lengths when comparing magnums to standard cartridges.........

Agreed.....
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Hated my 270WSM but that probably had more to do with the Tikka T3 than the cartridge itself.

Despite what savage62 says my 24" 270 Winchester pushes nearly every 130gr bullet to 3200fps+ with Magpro reaching 3250+. Heck, it shoots cheap Federal blue box 130's to 3240 as verified by 3 different chronographs. My 270WSM T3 struggled mightily to beat it and only a very few loads could reach 3300fps with a 130.

Seeing that your Tikka had a Sako barrel it probably had a long throat. I've measured the throats on several Kimbers, HS Precisions, Winchesters and a couple Sako WSM's. All the Sako WSM's had long throats and would shoot the exact same loads used in other rifles slower........................................DJ
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Seeing that your Tikka had a Sako barrel it probably had a long throat. I've measured the throats on several Kimbers, HS Precisions, Winchesters and a couple Sako WSM's. All the Sako WSM's had long throats and would shoot the exact same loads used in other rifles slower........................................DJ

I too had a T3 in 270 WSM. Sold it. They are long throated and long action.
Mine is a Fthwt model, it shoots amazingly accurately with my ham handed bedding job. It seems to shoot everything from light v-max's to 150gr bullets to a very close point of impact.

With the Fthwt stock I feel a pretty noticeable difference with the 150's but not "bad"

I suppose if forced to sell all but one rifle this would be the one I kept.

Haven't done and extensive load development to find what works, just work up to max with IMR-4350 and go kill stuff! Got a couple of whitetails to its credit so far.

Mike
I have a Model 70 Classic with a blued-steel barrel and a synthetic stock. I bought it two years ago and have only fired a couple of groups, both with W-W Power-Max ammo. The average for all groups is 1.2". I think once I handload for it I'll be able to get it down around 1". I have not chronographed any loads from that rifle.
[Linked Image]
My bad didn't realize I was on a 5 month thread.
That's cool, I started it, ended up getting a Win. Model 70 Extreme Weather in 7mm-08. I love it. I was thinking about the .270 WSM when I was close to getting a Tecomate, went with the Winny instead.
From what I have read the 270WSM is the best WSM by a long shot.

I have a Winchester Model 70 laminated classic .270WSM which I bought way back in June 2002. Its been a good performer and I only use one load - 140gn Accubonds and H1000

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My main hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Classic stainless in .270 WSM. I run 140 gr Accubonds over a charge of H4831sc and it just kills things. I've taken Elk, Mule deer, Antelope and other varmints with it and all have been 1 shot kills....
I bought one for my son years ago. A Bolt, composite stalker. Accurate as hell, he loves it. Kills anything he points it at with 140 Federal accubond fodder.
Bring this back up so when I start loading for it. It's a 8yr old post and probably some changes have been made.
I load for four. I use 140 Accubonds and IMR 4350 powder. I could get a little more with other powders, but the 4350 is extremely accurate in all 4, two 700’s and two Savages. I have 7 Rem mags also. I agree with Bob, the two cartridges are very similar in capability.

I’m glad you brought this back to life so I could read Bobs posts again. He was a really great guy, sorely missed!
Glad this thread was resurrected. I’ve become a fan of the 270wsm. In light rifles, I find it’s about as powerful as I can go and still expect to see bullet impact. The 140g accubonds have been great performers. I’m shooting a T3x using RL26. This rifle apparently has a tight chamber as it hits pressure earlier than I expected. It routinely shoots into .5” at 3180fps. I suspect I could tease a little more velocity but not sure it’s worth the effort. As as been my experience with a couple other Tikkas, I found this accuracy node with minimal effort. My present favorite western deer rifles (300wby and 7mmSTW) have some real competition.
I got 2 nephews that got them, they don’t use them much.. a BLR and a Black Shadow in believe.
Im looking at getting a 270wsm again after a few years without one

Would be interested in additional comments/experiences with some of the newer powders such as Re26 with 145/150gr bullets ..
I've had 2 - an abolt and a 700. The 700 has had some work done to it but it is the least picky rifle I have ever owned. I like the monos and accubonds in it. It'll do the job with cup and cores but it'll be messy if it hits bone. I've use mine allot and I will never get rid of it.
I had one in a Benelli R1 auto. It shot well, but not super well. I could get close to MOA with it and occasionally I could fire 4 shots under an inch, but most times I could do it at about 1-1/4" at 100 yds.

I killed elk, deer and antelope with it. In fact the longest shot I ever made on an elk was with that rifle and load. I sold it to a good friend about 2 years ago.

A hot load of H1000 Powder, WW brass, Federal 215 primer and the Nosler partition 160 was the load it seemed to like the best. Deadly on everything it ever hit.
Winchester 70 FTWT 270 WSM shoots great with Nosler 140 Accubonds loaded on top of RL-19.

Deer don't like it one bit.
Originally Posted by Boxer
From what I have read the 270WSM is the best WSM by a long shot.

I've read the same.
Had to go back and check to see if I had responded to this thread 8 years ago.

My .270 WSM is on a Wby. Vanguard action, with a Timney trigger, PacNor 24" barrel, and Mcmillan Edge stock. Favorite load is a 130 gr. Nosler E-Tip, at 3300 fps. MV. Very accurate rifle and load. I recently sold my Wby. Mk.V. in .300 Mag., primarily because the .270 WSM does everything I need it for, without the recoil of the .300.

With a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x and Talley LW mounts, this rifle weighs under 8 lb. all-up, for me a perfect weight for carry and steady shooting.
I have a Sako Tecomate in 270 WSM, shoots bugholes with Federal Premium 150 grain Nosler Partitions. I shot a 5x5 raghorn in Colorado 3 years ago with it at 300 yards. Two shots to the lungs, one high and one low, both shots were complete pass through, lungs were jellied 2" around the bullet holes. The bull went 5 yards.
I have a Newhaven SS in a B&C stock with a Schillen barrel. I was able to shoot 2-1/2 inch groups at 250 yards with several different hand loads, with a slightly imperfect rest, on a slightly breezy day. I have found it to be easy to load for and not at all finicky. When loaded with 110 grain TTSX at a little over it duplicated the trajectory of my 257 Weatherby with 100 grain TTSX. What's not to like. I sold the weatherby.
Originally Posted by cervus
Im looking at getting a 270wsm again after a few years without one

Would be interested in additional comments/experiences with some of the newer powders such as Re26 with 145/150gr bullets ..

Both R26 and R25 loaded the same for me with 140's at 69 grains CCI 250 primer and Winchester brass, work up to this especially with different bras as some of it is much thicker. Good for 3,200 fps in my 24" barreled feather weight.

I really like the outfit a lot but would not trade in a good 270 Win. for the WSM. Mine is in a McMillan feather weight pattern edge stock. At some pont I may put on a skinnier faster twist barrel but not in a big hurry to do that.
I have a savage 16 270 wsm and just using a bipod and leaning on the tailgate at 100 yards you can literally see a straight line down as I sighted it in couple inches apart just like I told my scope to do least to say I'm a fan
I have a Winchester 70 FWT 270 WSM that is extremely accurate with Nosler 140 Accubonds and RL-19.

Excellent performance on whitetail deer!

As good as my 270 WSM is, I would take a similar rifle in 270 Win over it due to loading cost. The 270 Win for my use works just as well with cheaper, easier to get brass.
Before I opened up this thread I was just sifting through some WSM brass I had in a drawer debating whether I should actually go shoot a .270WSM I just picked up (Sako Finnlight in exceptional condition) or send it down the road. Having a hard time convincing myself there was something I could do with that that I couldn't do with my .300 WM (other than pack a few less pounds up the mountain). If it was a standard .270 I would have had it dialed in a couple weeks ago. The WSM thing just doesn't trip my trigger (no pun intended) even though I have seen some good performance from my buddy and his kids with theirs shooting factory 140 accubonds.
I had a custom 270 WSM, built by Jim Kobe. Was Rem 700, Mcmillan stock, Shilen barrel.
Shot 130 accubonds.p, very accurately.
Took a dall sheep at about 150 yards, dropped in its tracks.
Also took a mountain caribou at about 310 yards. It trotted 10-15 yards and dropped dead. Found the bullet on off side, under hide.
Great cartridge in my view.
Originally Posted by dale06
I had a custom 270 WSM, built by Jim Kobe. Was Rem 700, Mcmillan stock, Shilen barrel.
Shot 130 accubonds.p, very accurately.
Took a dall sheep at about 150 yards, dropped in its tracks.
Also took a mountain caribou at about 310 yards. It trotted 10-15 yards and dropped dead. Found the bullet on off side, under hide.
Great cartridge in my view.

It is a great cartridge, lots of power for little recoil.
I recently loaded for my 70 classic with 130 nosler bt and 67.5gr rel-22. My groups at 100 are roughly 1/2" and it's running at 3267 with a 5 shot average.
Hitting my 4"x5" steel at 200 and my 7"x7" at 300 with no problem. Scoped with a vx-2 3-9x40 I picked up here,haven't sent for my cds dial yet but won't be long. I also stocked it with a B&C that I picked up here. I'm satisfied but for the heck of it will have to try R26 when it becomes available again and at regular price.
© 24hourcampfire