Home
I've heard nothing but good things about this caliber. Chuck Hawks came up with the following list but it's 6 years old.

- CZ 550 American - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7.3 lbs., $588.
- Howa 1500 Hunter - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7.6 lbs., $548.
- Kimber 84M - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 5.63 lbs., $917.
- Remington M-700 Mtn. Rifle LSS - .260 Rem., sts./laminate, 22" brl., 6.5 lbs., $800.
- Remington M-700 Mtn. Rifle DM - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 6.5 lbs., $749.
- Ruger M77R Mk. II - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $716.
- Ruger M77R Mk. II - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $716.
- Sako 75 Deluxe - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22 7/8"brl., $1691.
- Tikka T-3 Hunter - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22.5" brl., 7 lbs., $575.
- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $762.
- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, sts./walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $859.

I'd like to get some opinions that are more recent, and some real world experience.

The Sako 85 Finnlight looks good to me.

It will be a plinking/deer rifle.

What do you think? Any good recommendations? I'd like to stay under $1,500 if possible.

Thanks,

Eric

Where did you get the prices for the Classic Featherweights???

edit: Just saw the Chuck Hawks reference. sorry.
Ist off, the Ruger and Winchester rifles in 6.5X55 are getting fairly hard to find. They are out there though. Any descent size store should have a tikka and a CZ. Don't know about the others.

I have a ruger M77 Mk. II in 6.5X55 and really like it so far. Nothing killed yet, but it is a .5 MOA rifle.
Steyr Safe Bolt - Around $1000 on GB when they pop up. SS slightly higher.

[Linked Image]
Oops - I found an old thread on this topic: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/589553/1

Not trying to rehash old ground, but if anyone has other suggestions I'd welcome them.

Thanks!
Well, what are you looking for in behavior of the rifle? Simple? elegant? Fast-to-load? Cheap but effective? Parts?
I'm looking into a CZ 550 FS in 6.5, mostly because I love the balance of the weapon, and it's effective and not as expensive.
Sako is VERY GOOD, but you'll be dropping ALL $1500 on the rifle, and that leaves none for glass.
The SafeBolt is also great, I've got a Scout at the moment, but I will warn that Steyr's use a "unique" kind of bolt, which tends to lift harder than most. On the plus size, it's as big as a Weatherby Mk V, and has a 120,000psi chamber rating, proof tested. Good luck with accessories, though!
The CZ 550 American is also a great selection, despite their old-world construction and heavier-than-others feel, they are of a quality build.
If you want outright 6.5x55 fun, look into a sporterized or normal M38/M96 Swedish Mauser. They've got a very sweet bolt, nice shooters, and most will stack the rounds on the target. wink
I have the 6.5x55's in CZ 550, Steyr SBS, and Sako 85 Finnlight. If you can afford it, Sako 85 Finnlight. Second would be the CZ. The Steyr is a nice rifle, but I don't care for the plastic rotary safety.
Originally Posted by EricM
I've heard nothing but good things about this caliber. Chuck Hawks came up with the following list but it's 6 years old.

- CZ 550 American - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7.3 lbs., $588.
- Howa 1500 Hunter - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7.6 lbs., $548.
- Kimber 84M - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 5.63 lbs., $917.
- Remington M-700 Mtn. Rifle LSS - .260 Rem., sts./laminate, 22" brl., 6.5 lbs., $800.
- Remington M-700 Mtn. Rifle DM - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 6.5 lbs., $749.
- Ruger M77R Mk. II - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $716.
- Ruger M77R Mk. II - .260 Rem., blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $716.
- Sako 75 Deluxe - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22 7/8"brl., $1691.
- Tikka T-3 Hunter - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22.5" brl., 7 lbs., $575.
- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $762.
- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, sts./walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $859.

I'd like to get some opinions that are more recent, and some real world experience.

The Sako 85 Finnlight looks good to me.

It will be a plinking/deer rifle.

What do you think? Any good recommendations? I'd like to stay under $1,500 if possible.

Thanks,

Eric

Tikka. They are getting hard to find though, heard they are not importing them anymore, but could be a rumor...
I have a pre-64 M-70 in .30-06 and love the balance. I doubt I will be able to find something as elegant in 6.5 x 55 SE but I'd like to get something that's well balanced, lightweight (6.5 lbs unscoped) and accurate.

I've sourced an M-70 Classic FWT in 6.5x55, in nearly new condition, for $1,000. Build year is hard to determine but I'm guessing early '90s or late 80's. Serial number is G325xxx. It's wood and blued (not SS). I'm not sure whether to go this route or go for something more modern, like the Finnlight or Tikka. What do you think, is this a good price?

I don't mind spending a little extra $ for quality.

Tikka sounds interesting as well but I heard there's a lot of plastic / fragile components inside?...
If you can find a Tikka at that price you will be very happy.
Narrowing it down to...

- Sako 85 Finnlight
- Tikka T3 Lite Stainless or Hunter
- Winchester M70 Classic FWT

Sako and Tikka seem to have better marks for accuracy than the M70. M70 is classic looking with true CRF, which I like. Sako is the most expensive. Tikka has some plastic components which isn't good (IMO), but they are accurate, inexpensive and use Sako produced barrels. Tough call.
A friend of mine just sent me a list of rifles he has for sale and he has a Steyr Safe Bolt (blue/walnut) in 6.5x55 - He's asking $1000.
Another option for less than a grand is a Ruger no. 1.
Eric,

Can't believe ole Chucky forgot this one but here you go...awesome piece of wood on it, too!

http://www.gunsamerica.com/929834790/Guns/Rifles/Ruger-Rifles/1-Type/Ruger_1A_Sporter_6_5x55mm.htm

Could probably find one a wee bit cheaper with some looking. VERY trim, nice handling rifle.
Eric,

If it were I, I believe I'd tend to build... As has been previously stated, factory rifles in 6.5x55 are fairly few and far between... Perhaps because of a few "Loonies" like myself... We've managed to hoard up a lot of the rifles out there... I have owned 2 M-70 Fwt's, 2- Remington M-700 Classics, a Husqvarna, and likely one or two others I've forgotten about... Currently in the safe I count 8 rifles so chambered... A Rem 40-X, a Ruger #1, A Sako AV, A Remington M-700 Cl (NIB). An Antonio Zoli, AZ-1900, and three Swedish Mausers... One, A Carl Gustaf that is currently being done up in a Mannlicher format...

Of the all, the 40-X is the most accurate...(No surprise there...) smile I really like the smooth bolt throw and the design of the AZ-1900 (Husqvarna clone), and the handling and quality of the Sako... OH! What the He!! I like 'em all... smile

My dream rifle in a 6.5 Swede would be a Carl Gustaf as were built in the '70's... These had the smoothest actions that one can imagine... (I have one in .25-06..) But 2nd on my list would be to look around and find a Rem M-700 Classic and then put it in a CDL stock... smile

GH
Eric,

Just saw this on the classifieds. Seems like a great deal if you don't mind the Ruger MkIIs. The seller says he's from Southern Cali so may be close to you. Just a heads up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread.../1/WTS_Ruger_M77_Mk_II_6_5_x_55_S#UNREAD
MojoHand - Thanks for the links. The Ruger looks clean!

OrangeOkie - I'll have to research the Steyr's tonight. Thx!

What's better everyone, Finnlite vs Tikka T3?..................................
That'd work. Failing that or finding a Fwt., what Grasshopper said: build one. Between myself and Gote1 we have five Swedes, two of which are CZ's. Don't get me wrong, the CZ's shoot great but they're heavy. Can't help but think you'd come closer to what you want with a well-planned build. Regardless, keep us posted.

Best Regards

I don't mind spending a little extra $ for quality.

Here ya go!

http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?bavarian_showdata#pagedown
I was checking that out Fordisto. I love the look!
i bought a M70 FTW when i finally found one. had no idea why i wanted it but i just had to have it. It's ok accurate but i believe it was built towards the end of the New Haven production. It fits me well and i like the package. it's an honest 1.5 MOA rifle. Plenty good enough for hunting!
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
i bought a M70 FTW when i finally found one. had no idea why i wanted it but i just had to have it. It's ok accurate but i believe it was built towards the end of the New Haven production. It fits me well and i like the package. it's an honest 1.5 MOA rifle. Plenty good enough for hunting!

HERETIC! smile

Paul, you might be the only person on this whole forum who has a rifle that won't hold 1/2 MOA to a thousand yards!

Someone just had a thread about this topic a little while ago where they quoted Chuck Hawks saying basically the same thing regarding hunting accuracy. From some of the responses you think ole Chuck had insulted their wives and/or god!
I've got plenty of rifles that'll hold well under MOA but i also have one's that don't. I prefer them to be about 1 MOA or less from a bench. but who cares really? if it'll hit what i'm shooting at at the ranges that i'll shoot it, i'm happy...
I've yet to find one in factory form that suits me. Have set to building them, with the first build recently complete, I just ordered another barrel so I guess I haven't quite gotten it right yet. Haven't a hell of a lot of fun though! smile
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A friend of mine just sent me a list of rifles he has for sale and he has a Steyr Safe Bolt (blue/walnut) in 6.5x55 - He's asking $1000.

OrangeOkie, here's a Steyr for $699 that includes a Sighton 6-24x42 scope: http://deepsouthguns.com/dsguns/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=389

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

Do you think $1K for a M-70 Classic FWT (99% condition) in 6.5x55 is fair?
i think that's way too much... i wouldn't pay more than 750 and it'd have to be calling me bad....
Thanks Paul. Appreciate the input.
My first choice would be a Sako AV, but they are hard to find -I have had 4 of them.

However, of those you listed, I'd go for the

Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, blue/walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $762.

- Winchester M-70 Classic Featherweight - 6.5x55, sts./walnut, 22" brl., 7 lbs., $859
Here is the M-70 Classic FWT in 6.5x55 I'm considering:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's a nice looking rifle and it's a red pad to boot. To be completely honest a grand seems a bit high to me. I just purchased a fwt in 6.5x55 and I did not give that for mine. I can't say how mine shoots as I haven't had the weather/ time to get to the range,something I hope to correct in the near future. They are very nice rifles but I will have to point out that you could find a new one in 7mm-08 for 2/3 the price and once you close the bolt you won't know the difference.For the savings you could put a nice 3x9 bushy 4200 that's on sale on it. If you really want a 6.5 and I don't blame you, then the CZ is my choice for half the price or for a grand one of the ruger #1a"s would be the way to go. Just my $.02
That one is advertised "as new" and well may be. Still, value depends somewhat on desire. If you want it bad enough it's worth the price. Just figure in what shipping and FFL receiving is going to cost along with the rifle. I already have one so it's not worth a grand to me. I'd think $900 shipped is enough of a premium for being a 6.5x55 but that's just an opinion. Others will come available but as some have mentioned not as frequently as in the past. Were I without one now I'd seriously look for a long action featherweight at a bargain price for a rebarrel. FWIW
I'm also looking at a Sako AV. Also have some private offers. Weighing pros and cons. There are actually more 6.5x55's available than you would think. Thanks for the recommendations!

I have checked out the CZ's and I like their solid construction and true CRF. However, the balance/fit does not feel as good to me as the M70. I think I like a slimmer profile.

I have a Ruger m77 mk II that I like very much. Extremely accurate with just about anything you put in it from 100-160 grs. I'm also impressed by CZ. The Tikka isn't very traditional, but everybody I've heard of who has one likes it.

Good luck with your gun shopping!
In today's world, I say get the rifle and action brand you want, the stock you want, and finally do the barrel you want thru a custom gunsmith.

If you have an action you already like, the barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

From ER Shaw to Pac Nor, to Douglas, they will all give you more than a field hunting rifle barrel at decent prices...

if you want benchrest accuracy, there are those out there also..

The 6.5 x 55 is just an inherently accurate cartridge..it is worth it getting the barrel length you want, the contour you desire... just the same as picking the scope you want...
My Sako 85 is my favorite 6.5X55 and maybe my favorite rifle altogether. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one.
Originally Posted by Seafire
In today's world, I say get the rifle and action brand you want, the stock you want, and finally do the barrel you want thru a custom gunsmith.

If you have an action you already like, the barrel is a lot cheaper than a new rifle.

From ER Shaw to Pac Nor, to Douglas, they will all give you more than a field hunting rifle barrel at decent prices...

The 6.5 x 55 is just an inherently accurate cartridge..it is worth it getting the barrel length you want, the contour you desire... just the same as picking the scope you want...

Seafire,

I'd be all over that but I think going the custom route would really increase the price tag, no?

p.s. - I ran a build at ER Shaw and requested a quote. We'll see what they come back with.

p.p.s. - Was quoted $950 and 16 month turnaround time.
A vote for the M70 6.5x55. Admit the $1000 asking is a bit high, but consider a) what does a new FN manufacture cost b) new M70 not manufactured in 6.5SE c) it may be what you want. And d) it's a 6.5x55 CRF M70 for goodness sakes, how nice is that?

Am not saying money grows on trees, but I wouldn't fault you for paying for it, if you want/need it now and have the budget (entirely personal matter), vs waiting around unknown number of months to save $100 on another one, likely in no better condition at that one. Such is life; your call.

Disclaimer: would like one myself but up to eyeballs in projects already.

edit to add: p.s. shrapnel just sold a M70 .257 for a few thousand on the classifieds; a rifle's worth what another guy is willing to pay.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

OrangeOkie, here's a Steyr for $699 that includes a Sighton 6-24x42 scope: http://deepsouthguns.com/dsguns/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=389

QUESTION FOR THE GROUP:

Do you think $1K for a M-70 Classic FWT (99% condition) in 6.5x55 is fair?

That is a good price for that gun, but it is not the same as the walnut stocked Safe Bolt I pictured above, which is what my friend has for sale, only in blue. It is quite rare in my musings on GB.
I've ten of the things and the Finnlight is where I'd turn at this point. Either that or I'd find a Rem Mod 700 SS Long action, order a PacNor Mtn rifle contour barrel and put it in a Ti take off or an Edge.

I do have a Husqvarna 270 Branded for S&W. Slickest action I've ever seen. Thinking about having it rebarreled... but the stock may be a bear to find. We'll see smile
I may be taking on that 6.5x55 Steyr...Ack, decisions! crazy
Originally Posted by Seafire

Seafire,

I'd be all over that but I think going the custom route would really increase the price tag, no?

p.s. - I ran a build at ER Shaw and requested a quote. We'll see what they come back with.

p.p.s. - Was quoted $950 and 16 month turnaround time.

If I was doing one right now, I'd get an action and stock I wanted, contact ID&T gunsmithing in Ohio... they will install a barrel of your choice, usually with a 2 to 4 week turnaround for $200 or so for a Douglas barrel installed...
I cannot see building a 6.5 Swede, when they are so readily available.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I cannot see building a 6.5 Swede, when they are so readily available.

Well, I think I'd disagree with that statement... Back when I'd never owned one and wanted one, I'd buy the 1st one that I found (And I did...)

However, now that I've had a few of them, I'm more particular about the features of said rifle..

The Winny M-70's can be had, but they're not that common, OR available...

The CZ-550 is available, but heavy... (Down side for me...)

The Tikka, is available, (Tho' I've never seen one..) and light enough, but all the plastic parts is a turn-off for me...

Sako made a few AV's in 6.5x55, but I've ever seen only one, and I own it. smile

Same with Husqvarna's,... I've seen only one of those, And I owned that, as well...

Ruger made them in the Mk-II, but dropped them, so they are not available, but one might be able to find one... Tho' I never liked that hokey safety... smile

The best reason to build one that I know of, is then you can have EXACTLY what you desire, with NO compromises... That's reason enough in my book... Just my .02 Pesos worth...

GH
I have been down the custom rifle road a few times, and finally realized that unless it was an oddball chambering, it was a waste of money. I would get a Tikka, and never look back. Mine shoots as well as my customs...

FWIW, I talked to a nearby dealer of Tikka, and Beretta stopped importing the 6.5x55 a year ago. You can get one, but they're weeks out, and usually special-order from Tikka directly. Also expensive in this way.
The Steyr is good, but unique. Also about 7.7lbs, close to that of the CZ.
If you want a Lightweight gun with a "thinner" feel, go the Win M70, if you can find one. If you like a thicker-stock and slightly more "solid, refined" feel, go the Sako. But again, Sako is $$$, and any parts are going to be MUCH harder than the M70 to get.

Another to look into, see if its avail, is the Sako A7 in 6.5x55. It's a Sako barrel, Sako reciever and operation on an upgraded Tikka stock, with a Tikka/Sako bolt (3-lug of Sako, plunger-eject of Tikka). About $900 new, give or take.

Or, look into a .260 Rem for more choices. Most who have worked with it and the 6.5SE say it's pretty much the same round, both ballistically and in-practice. Though, still not identical.
I have been down the custom rifle road a few times, and finally realized that unless it was an oddball chambering, it was a waste of money. I would get a Tikka, and never look back. Mine shoots as well as my customs...

Dogcatcher, I don't think I'd buy a Tikka. As previously stated, I don't care for the plastic parts. I'll not dispute the accuracy of said rifle. From all reports it is phenominal. And I believe that.

But accuracy is NOT my only criteria in having a rifle... I don't care how accurate it is, If I don't like it, NOTHING is going to make me... smile And yes, I have owned one.... (albeit a .338 Federal...) I now have two other .338 Fed's... a Ruger #1 and a M-660 Remington...

If you like plastic and synthetic materials, and it doesn't bother you, well... then you have my blessing... But as for myself, Thanks, but I'll pass...

If I wanted yet another 6.5x55 (Which I don't...) , I'd buy a Ruger Mk-II and cabbage the barrel off from it and have it fitted to an older Tang Safety M-77. It would likely be a mite heavier than my preference, but I'll bet I'd like it better than most any other model available today... smile

GH
Originally Posted by Shadow9
If you want a Lightweight gun with a "thinner" feel, go the Win M70, if you can find one. If you like a thicker-stock and slightly more "solid, refined" feel, go the Sako. But again, Sako is $$$, and any parts are going to be MUCH harder than the M70 to get.

I'm debating between a Sako AV, M70 FWT Classic, and a Tikka T3.

I'm leaning towards the Sako or M70 (but would also like to get a Finnlight sometime in the future).

Here's the Sako: http://www.gunsinternational.com/detail.cfm?gun_id=100166707

What do you think?

It looks very clean to me with nicely figured wood.

The M70 is pretty nice, too. Not as polished looking as the Sako but better wood than the M70 I posted earlier.
i vote Sako...
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Dogcatcher, I don't think I'd buy a Tikka. As previously stated, I don't care for the plastic parts. I'll not dispute the accuracy of said rifle. From all reports it is phenominal. And I believe that.

Valid opinion. Personally, i won't buy another gun unless it is stainless/plastic! grin
I always said I would not buy synthetic/stainless. I neede to pick up a backup rifle for an off shoe hunt and all I could afford that was immediately available that fit well was a Tikka T3 blue/synthetic. It could not be supplied and the company(Wholesale Sports) substituted stainless at the same price. It has become my go to hunter. I still don't like the looks, but it carries well, comes to shoulder ligned up, anp plain shoots too good to not enjoy.

Although the plastic mags are expensive, they are tougher than you would believe. I drove over one with my truck front tire by accident(please don't ask) and there were no marks on it. The magazine was on the packed snow of an ice road. Close to 400 rounds shot in all weather conditions without malfunction or incident.

The Tikka would be my choice in a modern 6.5 Swede.

Randy
Originally Posted by Shadow9
FWIW, I talked to a nearby dealer of Tikka, and Beretta stopped importing the 6.5x55 a year ago. You can get one, but they're weeks out, and usually special-order from Tikka directly.

I'd sell mine for the right price. grin Although that might be foolish, since it is the most accurate gun I own...
I bought the Sako AV, 6.5x55 Swede for $1,150. wink

It's a Finnbear Hunter model, imported by Stoeger in the late 80's. 23" barrel and condition is near perfect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If anyone following this thread is looking for a nice M-70 or Tikka T3 (synth) in 6.5x55, talk to soonerchessie.

The M-70 has nice wood:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...del_70_6_5x55_Beretta_BL_5_1#Post2856106
I have no use for a blued/wood rifle, but that looks like a nice gun.
I live in a dry semi-desert environment.

Blued/wood works for me.

I would still like to get a SS/Synthetic Finnlight sometime in the future.
good buy! that is a nice rifle!
I bought the Sako AV, 6.5x55 Swede for $1,150. wink

It's a Finnbear Hunter model, imported by Stoeger in the late 80's. 23" barrel and condition is near perfect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

If anyone following this thread is looking for a nice M-70 or Tikka T3 (synth) in 6.5x55, talk to soonerchessie.

The M-70 has nice wood:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads...5_1#Post2856106

Eric, great rifle/cartridge combo at a fair price. You won't regret it.
Thanks, Dr. Lou!

I just placed an order for a Leupold FX3 6x42 scope (LR reticle) with Leupold Sako ringmounts.

Should be slick!
If you want another Swede, I'll sell you my Ruger #1A. The price is $642,387 including shipping. wink
I do like Swedes... wink

[Linked Image]
^nice.

On a side note, now you have me thinking about selling my Swede. What game are you planning on hunting with yours? That is my problem, I pretty much just hunt elk and varmints anymore, so it is inbetween.
^nice.

On a side note, now you have me thinking about selling my Swede. What game are you planning on hunting with yours? That is my problem, I pretty much just hunt elk and varmints anymore, so it is inbetween.

Deer/antelope mostly. I have a .30-06 for larger stuff.

If your Swede is your most accurate rifle I'd keep it. But I guess it depends on whether you use it or not.
^^ re: Swedes - Best batch of Swedes I've seen in a while. Norway offered better sightseeing when I was over there though...jus' sayin' wink
That whole area is a gold mine! smile
I have 2 now, Tikka T3 and CZ 550. Both amazingly accurate with 4 different brands of factory ammo. Beretta doesn't import the Tikka in 6.5x55 anymore so keep yours eyes open for a used one. It's smooth, great trigger and weight is ideal in the wood stock. I don't particulary care for their synthetic stock.

The CZ is heavy (8lbs "bare"), not something I plan to spend a lot of time hiking mountains with but will work great when hunting from a stand. Mauser action smooths out after cycling several dozen times and the trigger has several options.
The Sako AV arrived and is at my gunsmith. I checked it out after work and it looks awesome! So glad I purchased this rifle. I have 7 more days to wait, and during this time the rifle will be fitted with a Leupold FX3 6x42 (LR reticle). Woo hoo!

[Linked Image]

First round of ammo arrived today.

1. Norma 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
2. Lapua 123 gr HPBT Scenar
3. Lapua 139 gr HPBT Scenar
4. PVRI in 139 SPBT
5. Norma 140 gr Nosler Partition
6. Lapua 155 gr Soft Point Mega
7. Norma 156 gr Alaska

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I don't know why but you just never see a Sauer 202 recommended among rifle recommendations. Maybe it is just because they are so expensive. Or maybe they seem too heavy for anything less than 375 H&H. Maybe because they are too close to the cost of a custom. Maybe because they are neither fish nor fowl - you get up that far in price and you might as well jump to a Blaser. I don't know.

Seeing how much I cherish my Sauer 202 in 6.5x55, I would certainly recommend it. I don't see how you can go wrong with one.

Edit: Ah, I see you already got the SAKO. Great choice. I have a Sauer 202 and a Steyr Forester. I need a Sako to fill out the "S" trifecta!
© 24hourcampfire