Home
Posted By: montanabadger Sako A7 - 04/04/11
How good are they? How are the triggers? Are the synthetic stocks junk like the Remingtons?
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
I like them. Ugly as sin, but they shoot lights out.

You can do a lot worse for the $$$.
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Excellent gun, especially for the money. All I did is add a Nikon Monarch to my .300WSM.
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
saw one at bass Pro today on clearance. i think it was 450'ish? blued in 243.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
How good are they? How are the triggers? Are the synthetic stocks junk like the Remingtons?

Excellent rifles, the trigger, I'll say it, but I like it better than my Jewell, no kidding. It's crisp and you can adjust it yourself.
The stock is stout and nothing like Remington.

I've also shot four 10 shot groups on 4 different days. All 10 shot groups were .7 to.8.
Posted By: DJTex Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
A lot of rifle for the money, IMHO.

If a guy likes function over form, it is very hard to beat.

Not as pretty as some, but barrels, triggers, actions, feeding, handling are excellent - and they flat out drive tacks and do it with a variety of ammo - they are like Tikka in terms of not being finicky about what they are fed.

Pretty light, pretty nice balance.

Stocks are tupperware, but function fine. They have some plastic parts, but seem to hold up well.

Throat/Magazine geometry is not great, but they shoot so good it doesn't really present practical problems because of it, IME.

For a tack driving, no fuss, no hassle, light, accurate rig with a great trigger which just performs - they are a bargain (or at least they were when I bought mine in 243 more than a year ago.)

DJ
Posted By: DJTex Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Originally Posted by SU35

Excellent rifles, the trigger, I'll say it, but I like it better than my Jewell, no kidding. It's crisp and you can adjust it yourself.
The stock is stout and nothing like Remington.

I've also shot four 10 shot groups on 4 different days. All 10 shot groups were .7 to.8.

10 shot groups in .7 to .8 - and four of them, no less...My 243 appears capable of the same kind of stuff...with 3 kinds of FACTORY ammo...and all I've tried is 3.

Not too many rifles (or shooters) are capable of that, IME.

DJ
You won't catch me knocking their looks. I like everything about them including the ergos.
Their stocks do weigh in at 34 ounces though and that is a bit heavy, but, they balance and hold off hand so nicely!
Muzzles are .635

Top group is 10 shots, bottom group 3 shots with a different bullet.
[Linked Image]

40 straight shots, no cleaning, still shoots under an .8.
I don't know of any other make rifle that can do that.

Sako guarantees a 5 shot groups at MOA for good reason. Because they can. No other maker will make that boast.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
I don't own one but I do like the a7's, the only knock I might have is the plastic parts, but if not for these the price would also be higher................Hillbilly.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11

40 straight shots, no cleaning, still shoots under an .8.
I don't know of any other make rifle that can do that.

It'll do that if you shoot over 100 rounds. Sako barrels are nice.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
saw one at bass Pro today on clearance. i think it was 450'ish? blued in 243.

Buy it and punch it AI. Dare ya!
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
And put a Burris on it!
Posted By: iddave Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
SU,

Did you actually weigh the factory stock? I only ask because my .300 WSM A7 is at McMillan as we speak being used for developing their mold for said rifle.

Ryan (w/McMillan) was kind enough to weigh the rifle as well as just the stock. The PM he sent me said 26 ozs. for the factory stock and 5 lb 13 ozs. for the complete rifle.

I have the non-Soft Touch (first gen A7), so maybe that accounts for the wieght difference. If so, then I'm REALLY glad I got the non-ST as that's a significant weight difference.

btw-Like the others that have posted, mine shoots out of this world.

Dave
Posted By: fairchase Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Dave,
I finally compared the two different stocks and I am with you I like the non-ST just because I am unsure of the life on the rubberized coating... any weight difference is a plus, too.
SU,

Did you actually weigh the factory stock?

Yes, sure did. It has two pieces the main stock and a piece that fits around the magazine.
Both comprise the stock and I weighed both as one complete stock. Maybe Ryan weighed justt the main piece?

My 25-06 with Talleys and a 4.5x14 LR weighs exactly 8 lbs.

My 300 WSM no scope weighs in at 6 lbs.

Posted By: BWalker Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Originally Posted by iddave
SU,

Did you actually weigh the factory stock? I only ask because my .300 WSM A7 is at McMillan as we speak being used for developing their mold for said rifle.

Ryan (w/McMillan) was kind enough to weigh the rifle as well as just the stock. The PM he sent me said 26 ozs. for the factory stock and 5 lb 13 ozs. for the complete rifle.

I have the non-Soft Touch (first gen A7), so maybe that accounts for the wieght difference. If so, then I'm REALLY glad I got the non-ST as that's a significant weight difference.

btw-Like the others that have posted, mine shoots out of this world.

Dave

Is it going to be an exact replica of the A7 stock or a different pattern?
My understanding is they are making them in the classic pattern. +1 on that.
Posted By: iddave Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
[quote]SU,

It has two pieces the main stock and a piece that fits around the magazine.
Both comprise the stock and I weighed both as one complete stock. Maybe Ryan weighed justt the main piece?

That could very well be the case bud. Do you have the ST stock? I'm still left wondering why the 25-06 would come in at 3 ozs heavier. I realize the short action makes a difference, but the .300 WSM also has a longer barrel which I would THINK would make up the 3 oz difference.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
I own a few Tikkas, and really like my buddy's A7 in 7mag. The biggest disappointment is having to deal with Beretta USA with any issues......they're the absolute worst in any business I've ever dealt with.
Posted By: RifleDude Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
Originally Posted by montanabadger

The trigger unit is the same as used on the M75 and M85, which is to say quite good. They can be adjusted down to about 2 lb. I think it's one of the better factory triggers you can buy.

I don't own an A7, so I have no idea of how the stock stacks up to other handles long-term, but I do like its proportions and the ergos of the ones I've handled felt pretty good. I haven't decided whether or not I like the "sawtooth" style checkering pattern, though.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
How much difference is there in the new soft touch stock on the new A7's over the older version? That sounds interesting to me.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
I have 2 non soft touch. 270 win., 22-250. Both stainless and both shooters. I payed 541.00 per each when that outfit in ohio was closeing them out. I added kickezz cheek pads to mine to raise the combs and adjusted the triggers to 2.5#s. Both wear straight 6's, 1 leupold and 1 weaver. Smooth working, easy to adjust triggers, supereasy barrels to clean as Sam said they is nice barrels.
Posted By: Paul Walukewicz Re: Sako A7 - 04/04/11
wife would neuter me... grins
Posted By: greentimber Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
My '06 is being bedded into a McMillan EDGE Sako Classic stock right now. It is a hair under 6lbs before optics. I really like it with the McMillan. We'll see how it shoots once bedded. Going to start with a 150 TTSX & look for 3,000fps. If Remington still had a bolt-locking safety I probably wouldn't have ever tried the Sako, but I'm glad I did now.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
SU,

Did you actually weigh the factory stock?

Yes, sure did. It has two pieces the main stock and a piece that fits around the magazine.

My 25-06 with Talleys and a 4.5x14 LR weighs exactly 8 lbs.

My 300 WSM no scope weighs in at 6 lbs.

SU35, the piece that fits around the magazine is the bottom metal, not the stock. This bottom metal(plastic) on the A7 is of traditional one piece design made of high strength plastic with a factory torque specification of 55-57 in-lbs torque on the T-25 action screws. When you are weighing the stock, you do not include the weight of the bottom metal(plastic). The pre-ST stock is the lightest and it is very light for a factory plastic stock. All of the S and M action rifles I've weighed, including the two I own, fell just under 6-pounds.

Best smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SU35 Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
SU35, the piece that fits around the magazine is the bottom metal, not the stock.

I regard it as part of the stock and weighed both together.

[
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
To compare stock weights, you do not include the bottom metal, reason being it skews the results. One rifle may have steel, one rifle may have aluminum, and one rifle may have plastic.

To further add to the lightness of the A7 stock, the Sako places the recoil lug into the stock, unlike the traditional design of placing the recoil lug on the rifle. So the stock is very light, even when including the recoil lug. In addition, the A7 includes the scope bases in their overall weight. Remove those for use of the Talley LWs, and you drop more weight.

Best smile
Posted By: SU35 Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
To compare stock weights, you do not include the bottom metal,

You may not but I do and I didn't include the magazine. This or that who cares.
Posted By: AMRA Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
What is the A7 Tecomate weight?
Marks Outdoors e-mailed me they had a few in stock
for $1317.50 out the door.
AMRA
Posted By: iddave Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
Originally Posted by AMRA
AMRA

Wow that's a lot for an A7. I paid $700 for my "standard" stainless A7 .300 WSM just about 6 months ago. I see now that same vendor though, is asking $900 for the same rifle (non-tecomate). I remember when they could be had for $600 barely a year ago.

I don't know what the Tecomate weighs, but it has a full length aluminum bedding block in a Bell and Carlson "Medalist" stock so you can be sure it will weigh more than the "standard" A7 does.

This situation reminds me a great deal of when Remington "improved" the Titanium rifles by doubling the price and adding more weight.

Gun manufacturers baffle me sometimes, and Sako is no exception. I'm glad I got one while the getting was still good.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: Sako A7 - 04/05/11
I picked up my A-7 in .243 Win from Cabelas on sale for $599 a few months ago. It is the original style stock. I like it, although the pull is a little short for me. Very light weight, very crisp trigger (haven't adjusted it yet), accurate. The only mild disappointment I have with it is that my several year old Stevens 200 matches it's accuracy and beats it by 80 to 150 fps with identical loads. I thought the Stevens had a fast barrel, and it appears that I was correct. Both of them are very nice shooters, the Stevens has a Rifle Basix trigger and Hogue recoil pad. The Sako is box stock.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
AMRA

PASS! eek
Posted By: AMRA Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
Originally Posted by iddave
AMRA

Wow that's a lot for an A7. I paid $700 for my "standard" stainless A7 .300 WSM just about 6 months ago. I see now that same vendor though, is asking $900 for the same rifle (non-tecomate). I remember when they could be had for $600 barely a year ago.

I don't know what the Tecomate weighs, but it has a full length aluminum bedding block in a Bell and Carlson "Medalist" stock so you can be sure it will weigh more than the "standard" A7 does.

This situation reminds me a great deal of when Remington "improved" the Titanium rifles by doubling the price and adding more weight.

Gun manufacturers baffle me sometimes, and Sako is no exception. I'm glad I got one while the getting was still good.

I like the looks of the Sako A7 Tecomate but..........
that is TOO Rich for me.
I wonder if I found a used A7 for a decent price if I could order the "Tecomate"
stock from Bell and Carlson and just make my own Tecomate?
The Factory Tecomate barrel is fluted would I have to find someone to flute
the barrel on a standard A7 for the Tecomate stock to work?
AMRA
Posted By: iddave Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
You could likely do that, but then again you'll probably be pushing the price of the new Tecomate.
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
Why would you pay that much for an A7 when you could get a model 75 or 85 for that price?
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
Current top dollar price on a stainless wsm ST is around $988 with the current top dollar price on the stainless wsm Tecomate being around $1248 having a difference of $260. In comparison, current top dollar price on an wsm 85 Finnlight ST is around $1638.

The value I found in the A7 was when they were highly discounted to make room for the newer ST, many great deals were available. I've yet to see any fire sales on the new limited Tecomate, this may be something you'd need to wait till the end of the current year to see. I've heard that this new B&C stock will eventually become available to the public. If you are heck bent for leather to duplicate a Tecomate on the cheap, I'd locate an original A7 wsm for cheap, have someone flute the barrel, and then add the B&C stock when they come out. But personally, I see no advantage in this as the original rifle will shoot lights out accurate, is a bit lighter, and you'd save the expense of the added modifications.

As noted previously, if you are willing to pay current top dollar for an ST or Tecomate, you probably should be looking at an 85 Finnlight.

Best smile
Posted By: Cruiser1 Re: Sako A7 - 04/06/11
I should point out that a Model 75/85 may not be as effective on well fed pen raised deer as the Tecomate:)
Posted By: TCB Re: Sako A7 - 04/07/11
It's a SAKO........
Nothing more to say.
Posted By: TCB Re: Sako A7 - 04/07/11
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Current top dollar price on a stainless wsm ST is around $988 with the current top dollar price on the stainless wsm Tecomate being around $1248 having a difference of $260. In comparison, current top dollar price on an wsm 85 Finnlight ST is around $1638.

The value I found in the A7 was when they were highly discounted to make room for the newer ST, many great deals were available. I've yet to see any fire sales on the new limited Tecomate, this may be something you'd need to wait till the end of the current year to see. I've heard that this new B&C stock will eventually become available to the public. If you are heck bent for leather to duplicate a Tecomate on the cheap, I'd locate an original A7 wsm for cheap, have someone flute the barrel, and then add the B&C stock when they come out. But personally, I see no advantage in this as the original rifle will shoot lights out accurate, is a bit lighter, and you'd save the expense of the added modifications.

As noted previously, if you are willing to pay current top dollar for an ST or Tecomate, you probably should be looking at an 85 Finnlight.

Best smile

Curious, where are you seeing an ST wsm for 9 bills?
Posted By: AMRA Re: Sako A7 - 04/07/11
Every now and then my gun dealer Marks Outdoors in B`HAM Alabama
will have a Box Stock Sako A7 stainless used pop up for sale
for a little under $600,Depending on the cost of getting the barrel fluted and What Bell and Carlson will charge for the
Tecomate stock I might beat the price of a NEW factory Tecomate.
AMRA
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Sako A7 - 04/07/11
Originally Posted by TCB

Best smile

Alex Roy lists the current stainless A7 ST 300 WSM in stock and available at their current set retail price of $988.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-a7-st-rifle-synthetic-stainless-300-wsm-jra7s41.aspx
Posted By: Alex38 Re: Sako A7 - 04/07/11
Ouch! Glad I bought my Stainless .300 WSM when I did!
Posted By: AMRA Re: Sako A7 - 04/08/11
Dang!!!
That is HIGH for what I have seen them sell for USED or old stock
on Marks Outdoors web site mostly in the mid $500 range.
I e-mailed Bell and Carlson about buying a Tecomate stock from
them.
The company rep wrote me back stating that they do make the stock for the Sako Model Tecomate rifle but they WERE NOT ALLOWED
BY SAKO!!!!!!!!!
To sell it to the general public!!!!!!!!!

Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 8:13 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Sako A7 Tecomate Stock

Will you offer the Sako A7 Tecomate stock that you make for the Sako Tecomate rifle available

for sale to the general public?

Will it fit any Sako A7 rifle caliber?

Will the Sako A7 rifle barrel need to be fluted for the barrel contour channel on your stock to fit the barrel?

We do manufacture a stock for that action but Sako does not allow us to sell it to the public.

Posted By: TCB Re: Sako A7 - 04/09/11
Originally Posted by TCB

Best smile

Alex Roy lists the current stainless A7 ST 300 WSM in stock and available at their current set retail price of $988.

http://www.eurooptic.com/sako-a7-st-rifle-synthetic-stainless-300-wsm-jra7s41.aspx

OK.
I thought you were speaking of an Finnlight ST. An A7 ST for 9 bills is high.
The price for a Tecomate is just too high. If your patient you can find a new Finnlight ST for $1300 +- $50. That's where I'd put my money....
As for Alex, he has decent prices from time to time.
Posted By: IdahoSako Re: Sako A7 - 08/08/12
I know this thread is long gone, but has anyone had success with an aftermarket stock on their Sako A7?
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Sako A7 - 08/09/12
I put an Edge on mine this Spring, bedded it and opened up the barrel channel. Good to go now.

The Edge is a little thicker through the mid-section of the stock versus the original though.
© 24hourcampfire