Home
was reading the thread regarding weatherby stock/recoil vs classic design.

what is the consensus for the average man (5'10", 180lbs). which stock has the advantage in the "recoil reduction" department?

thanks
I've shot both. It seems to me that the Weatherby style Monte Carlo has considerably more muzzle jump, that is why I would rather have a Classic style stock. I'm roughly average size. 6 ft and 215 lbs.
hotsoup,

I have owned both styles, and I'll take the Classic design any time. And I have a fairly fat face. I'm 5'7" and 220. blush

Like the previous poster stated, the Wby design seems to have more jump. I prefer the recoil to come straight back. I've owned numerous .375 H&H's and .416's and NEVER had a problem shooting them accurately, even off the bench...

In fact, my favored stock design is the Remington CDL. Also fairly fond of the Winny M-70 FWT.

GH

cbass, Grasshopper:

I'm 168 lbs, and recoil coming straight back is going to move me more than it does you guys! wink

- Tom
Tom - I'm not a bruiser and I strongly favor the classic stock lines to shoot. Worst felt recoil I've had was a monte carlo or Weatherby style stock. It hurt. sick
Originally Posted by hotsoup
which stock has the advantage in the "recoil reduction" department?

thanks

Good question !

Bellow is from our friends at McMillan:

"It takes superior engineering to harness the power of today�s modern high intensity magnum cartridges. The McMillan Dynasty stock uses McMillan�s proprietary EDGE ultralight graphite technology to save weight without sacrificing strength. The stock offers a comfortable palm swell and a monte carlo cheekpiece that positions the head for scope use. The stock geometry is specifically designed to manage recoil when shooting the magnum calibers.The 24� match grade barrel is optimum for velocity and ease of carry."

Looks like they like Monte Carlo style
Mule Deer has a nice article on this exact subject in the latest Sports Afield.
Yep, John hits it on the head. Height and weight is not the issue so much as your body SHAPE. Slope of the shoulder, length of your neck, shape of your face/cheeks etc. A tall slender person with narrower shoulders and longish neck will often much prefer a Weatherby style stock. A stockier body style might do better with a Classic but the best bet is to shoot several of both types and determine for yuourself what you like. Some like recoil to be directed up, some prefer it to come straight back. Few hard and fast rules, JB's artice (Mule Deer, here) is a CLASSIC in my opinion and should be a required read of any wannabe rifle looney.
I am 5'10" 175 lbs; I think perhaps body shape and proportion also affect which stock we prefer. For years I subscribed to the classic stock as that is what all the gun writers claimed was the best. Once I bought my Weatherby ultra-light in .25-06 I have strongly preferred the Monte Carlo stock. All of my present big game rifles wear Monte Carlo stocks. My brother claims that my Weatherby UL .25-06 kicked more than his Remington .300 RUM.

I believe that John Barseness wrote an article on body shape versus stock design in Rifle magazine a while back. Like all of John's writing I think it is well worth reading. GRF
For heavy recoil I like the Classic with a high thick comb, little drop,and a cheekpiece....best examples I can think of have been the Brown Precision,a "real" Griffin and Howe,and (maybe the best,for me) an Echols Legend.

This last turns a 300 Roy or 375 into a pussy cat.
Safariman, well said, looks like you beat me to the keyboard. smile GRF
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
The stock offers a comfortable palm swell and a monte carlo cheekpiece that positions the head for scope use. The stock [b]geometry is specifically designed to manage recoil when shooting the magnum calibers.

Looks like they like Monte Carlo style

Yet, they also have a Classic stock for the Dangerous game rifle in 416 as well as one with a Monte Carlo...which kinda implies stock design is more a matter of personal fit as already mentioned.
thanks men.
both designs are about the same to me.
As you know, Bob I'm gonna be using the Echols Legend stock on the 375 Redneck and CASII are putting together for me so your report on the recoil taming qualities of the Legend are good news as it'll be fairly light for caliber when done.
A model 70 Winchester in the Safari type rifle! This is indeed a good choice.
The term "classic" is certainly used loosely. Most of the "classics" I have seen have quite a bit of drop at the comb, contrary to what others have posted. I prefer a straighter comb.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Mule Deer has a nice article on this exact subject in the latest Sports Afield.

He devoted a chapter to it in his book "Obsessions of a Rifle Loony" as well.

(inserting plug for his book wink )
Monte carlo, own both and much perfer the monte carlo for recoil management. I like a good cheek weld also, with a strait stock I always seem to be hunting the right spot while in the field.
Depends. Older Remington 700BDL stocks literaly hurt me to tears in any caliber over .25-06. Similar style stocks (Winchester, CZ and others) do not have the same effect on me. Overall, I like the monte carlo style a bit better than the classic for recoil. I am 6'3" and 170.
My eyes love a modern classic but the stock my Weatherby Sub MOA feels great.

Dan
I prefer a little more drop than most. I've never much cared for a monte carlo or a straight comb. Further more I think if most people would find a different place to evaluate a stock other than a shooting bench they might find they like something else better in a hunting rifle also.

Terry
For actually shooting, the old stocks like Savage 99 and pre '64 M70 have too much drop for me causing the rifle to kick upwards knocking into my cheekbone or teeth.
It seems the monte carlo was like a step in evolution, placing my cheek higher for scope use but still having too much drop in the stock resulting in upward kick.
So, the classic without much drop kicking backwards only is much more comfortable!
Weatherbys filled me with dread back in the 1970's when I was a public Range master. Classic stocks or mild Monte Carlos like the Remington 700BDL are much more comfortable for me.
I believe that Barsness said it as well as any. It depends on the type of build you have and how far from the 5-10/170 lb. norm you are.
I'm a little short, 5-8, but have rather square shoulders, long arms and neck. A slightly longer rifle stock in either shape work pretty well for me. What doesn't work well for recoiling rifles is a rifle with lots of drop at the comb and the heel. Stocks like the pre-64, M70 Winchester and the older Remington 760 stocks. These stocks were designed for iron sights as well as very low mounted scopes.
A stock that slopes away from my cheek as it recoils and comes straight back seems to work best from field positions. It needs to have full contact with my shoulder when I shoot it. But it also needs to line up easily when I shoulder it in a hurry.
So, there is no "best" for everybody. E
Originally Posted by BobinNH
....I like the Classic with a high thick comb, little drop,and a cheekpiece....best examples I can think of have been the Brown Precision,a "real" Griffin and Howe,and (maybe the best,for me) an Echols Legend.

This works perfectly for me as well, though I have no experience with the Echols yet. A Brown KS is about as good as I've ever had for easy and quick shooting with low recoil.

As an aside, a different shaped stock can change the feel of a rifle from a tiger to a kitty overnight. It makes a BIG difference.
I really can't tell the difference on recoil. I actually like the way the Weatherby Monte Carlo stock feels (and I have wide shoulders and far as I can tell my neck is normal), though it does seem to accentuate muzzle jump for me.

Lou
© 24hourcampfire