Home
I found a used .30-'06 Winchester Ranger in very good condition today in a local pawn shop.
It is complete with an unknown make (possibly a Weaver 3 x 9) scope in Weaver rings

I am not familiar with the "Ranger" model. I am assuming ( I know, assuming causes bruises ) that it was a lower priceed version of the Winchester Model 70, but I don't know if they put decent barrels on them or as much care in assembly as the regular Mod 70.

This rifle appears to have had the stock refinished and carried a bit, but not shot very much at all, and has been cared for.

Any input on quality and what it might be worth?

Thanks,

Ed
Same as the others produced at the time. Stock was a cheapo of course. If the price is right, schnaaagggg it.
Buddy of mine hunted with one for years. Never gave him a bit of trouble, was extremely accurate and kicked like a jack mule.
dunno about value, but they were just an economy version of the M70. some were made "ADL style" without floor plates but the main cost saving cuts were in wood quality and metal finishing. barrels and all else was the same as the standard M70 AFIK. had one in .243 when i was a kid.
I bought one for my dad when i was in high school back in the 80's. He still hunts iwth it today.... Like described, kind of like the ADL of the model 70. It is the only gun my dad has hunted with since I bought it for him all those years ago and have killed a pile of deer. Very good shooting gun and he has never had a bit of problem out of it. Hunt with it, clean it at the end of the season put it up, repeat for almost 30 years.
Blue Book, 30th Edition:

Model 70A (economy version) is worth $450 at 100%.

The Model 70 Ranger is $475 at 100%, $350 at 95%, $300 at 90%.
I've had a couple go through my hands and they were both solid rifles that shot well (bedded in aftermarket stocks). On one the action was nicely blued as was the barrel. On the second, the action was matte while the barrel was nicely blued though the blueing was warn. Both were push feeds and feed very smoothly.
I agree that the action and barrel are std. M-70 and the lower cost due to cheaper stock and less time spent with finish. With a good aftermarket stock and some good glass, it should run with the fast dogs...
I bought one (chambered in 308 win) back in 97 for my wife and I didn't like the plastic follower (it didn't feed real smooth, would hang up on occasion). Never had any extraction issues. Stock was very cheap and plain looking. It shot 1 1/2" groups, which isn't very good with my "worked up" handloads. It kicked like a mule, but was nice and light to carry. In all, I thought it was a neat little rifle but would probably never buy another one just from the experience I had with that one. I only paid $275.00 for it brand new, which I thought was a good deal blush
APDDSN0864;
While I've only worked on a couple of them over the years, they seemed to be very serviceable firearms from what I saw.

One in particular stands out in my memory. A coworker picked up one of the "ADL" Rangers in .300WM for a song because the birch stock was so beat up.

I epoxy bedded it for him and then he brought it to work where we sprayed it with some cabinet stain and a few coats of the same conversion varnish we used on kitchens.

As he was just beginning with reloading, I helped him put together some loads, as memory serves an accuracy load out of either an older Lyman or Hornady manual using H-4831 or perhaps IMR-4831 and 180gr Hornay Spires.

So we scoped it with an ancient Scope Chief, sighted it in and then the first 3 shots he takes at 100yds go into a nice 3/4" triangle!

He turns to me after the third shot and asks, "If we play with this thing a little bit it should shoot better don't you think Dwayne?"

Bless him, he figured they all should land in the same hole. laugh

That particular Ranger shot at least that well any time I was around it, which was as good or better than many, many that I had in the safe at the time. grin

Hopefully that was some use to you APDDSN and good luck whichever way you decide. All the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
Karnis,

Does $250.00 sound like a good price? grin

Ed
Dwayn,
I was looking for a good used rifle for my BIL to begin hunting something other than tiny NC whitetails with.

I found this one and a used western Field 720A built by Heym on a Mauser action wearing an older Weaver 3 x 9 scope.
Both are in good-very good condition, both have been well cared for and not abused.

The wood-to-metal fit on the Ranger is excellent, far better than the Model 70 XTR I had in the 70's.
So, now I get to make a decision. Buy them both and then decide which one to give him, or just buy the Ranger...

Thanks for the input!

Ed
APDDSN0864;
Well that is a bit of a pleasant dilemma for choice is it not?

The Heym on a Mauser should be a pretty decent arm as well, so it might be a toss up?

That said, I've played with an older Voere 7Mag that was built on a Mauser and was disappointed in the results with the bullets we tried, so just because it's built by European craftsmen on my beloved Mauser actions doesn't always mean success I suppose?

While I fully realize that Voere and Heym are two different entities from two different European countries, up until I played with that rifle I'd had 100% success with old school European rifles. Now I can only claim 99%. wink

Anyway Ed, I'd make an semi educated guess that both would do yeoman duty for a whitetail rifle for your BIL.

Again, good luck with your family rifle project whichever way you decide and all the best to you and yours this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne
They sound equally good to me. If he (the BIL) is available he could choose the one he prefers. If he is not, pick the one that feels best to you. Then if he doesn't like it later, or wants to upgrade to something else, tell him you want first crack at it, at the original price.

Or buy both. Test them, and keep the best one for youself. (ha).

Oh, and if $250 is the price, that is a good deal for a solid gun. From the pawn shop, especially, always tell them you are interested in a particular gun, but what is their best price. They will usually knock off about ten percent. If they don't offer to knock anything off immediately, tell them you only have so much to spend, and you want to know what the "out-the-door" price will be with tax and any fees. Sometimes they will eat the tax, or throw in a box of ammo. Pawn shops usually only pay about a quarter of what something is worth, so they have a lot of room to play with. Have fun.
I have one in .270. Shoots well, no problems.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Karnis,

Does $250.00 sound like a good price? grin

Ed
That IS a good price.. Offer 'em $200 in greenbacks on the counter and see what happens.. Even if they won't budge and you pay the $250 you're in good shape.. As others have said, the Ranger version just had a stained, hardwood stock - not walnut..

Hard to go wrong there..
I still kick myself for trading off one in 223 that was junk straight out of the box for accuracy....

What I should have done was put that 6 x 47 barrel on I was always thinking of....

of course that is when I was younger and stupider..

Model 70 actions are still my favorite..
Weren't the barrels on most of those FWT contoured? IIRC, my .223 Ranger had the stepped-down barrel of the FWTs.
The barrels have the same contour. I took my sons' .243 Ranger and dropped it in a FWT stock.Can't tell it from the real thing unless you read the "Ranger" on the barrel.

Neil
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Weren't the barrels on most of those FWT contoured? IIRC, my .223 Ranger had the stepped-down barrel of the FWTs.

The one I had was NOT a featherweight contour...

Bought it at Walmart.... the Barrel was crap from the start sadly... still sorry I traded it off tho... I'd love the action and the stock..

I do have a Model 70 Featherweight in 223, which is on the pristine side..the ranger, I could bounce around in the field and not worry about it....
I saw a Winchester Ranger in 223 at a pawnshop back in
the 90s and didnt buy it. Only one in 223 I have ever
encountered.
There was another "econo" version M70: the M670. Probably predated the Ranger version? Came across a used one years ago, in 30-06. Recollect that it had a 22" barrel, matte blue finish (or at least not the deep, lustrous blue) and checkered birch stock, no floor plate?

Then there are the Sears Ted Williams versions, that don't fetch the prices "real" M70s do.
dubePA,

I love your by-line. I quoted you over on the Box Stock 700 thread, as pertaining to a certain chronically annoying poster. Your quote nailed that particular situation.

DF
That one goes back aways. Originally laid that'un on a doofus I once worked with, that no one could get along with. Although the original version had harsher words in 'er.

He didn't last long, after the boss put him in my crew. Figured that was by design? ;O)
The 670 preceeded the Ranger, and had a standard sporter barrel contour.

The first Ranger series had standard sporter contour (except featherweight contour in the youth versions), blind magazine, and rear sights dovetailed into the barrel.

The second Ranger series had featherweight contour in all non-magnum chamberings, floorplate, and screw on rear sight.

All three had cheap hardwood stocks. All three have shot great for me, and are just as good as any other Model 70 XTR that I have.
Rooted out a 1972 catalog I have, that was for a local gunshop which was once "the place" to be around here, but went out of business some years ago.

The retail price for a M670 back then, was $129. The "standard" M70, listed for $174. There is also a M770, that has a walnut stock and appears to have a blind magazine, listed for $139. Don't recall that one?
I saw a M670 in 264WM awhile back, pretty plain looking
gun. Also saw one in 222 at a gunshow once. If I remember
correctly they dont have the M70 safety.
Good point. Dug the catalog back out and it says the M670 has a two position safety. The M770 says three position safety.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The 670 preceeded the Ranger, and had a standard sporter barrel contour.

The first Ranger series had standard sporter contour (except featherweight contour in the youth versions), blind magazine, and rear sights dovetailed into the barrel.

The second Ranger series had featherweight contour in all non-magnum chamberings, floorplate, and screw on rear sight.

All three had cheap hardwood stocks. All three have shot great for me, and are just as good as any other Model 70 XTR that I have.

DakotaDeer,

I went back and took another look at the one on the pawn shop. It appears to be the first series "Ranger". It has a standard contour barrel, dovetailed rear sight, and blind magazine.
It is marked "Ranger" on the barrel. Nice looking bore from what I can see without a borescope, crown in great shape, and no rust.

Thanks guys, for all of your input!

Ed
My buddy had one back in the 80's in 30-06 and I sighted it in for him a time or two. Can't really comment on the quality but as others have alluded to, it kicked like a damn mule. I think they were fairly light weight. John.
Early 670 had an awkward 2-position safety.

The later 670 and all Rangers had the normal 3-position safety.
© 24hourcampfire