Home
Posted By: TDN New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
This afternoon I was able to scoot outta work early and meet up with my dad for about an hour of range time before our evening commitments. We ran through a bunch of handgun drills and then realized we only had time for a few rounds at the 100 yard bench. So we quickly set up and threw some patches over the bullet holes on the cardboard silhouette targets and commenced to shoot. A week ago I had bore sighted and run 6 shots of factory 150's through my new SC M70 SS. Fwt. 308 win. Shots 4,5,6 were a 1.6" group about 5" high.

Below are shots 7,8,9 using 165 BT over 44gr Varget @ 2.82". After the first shot I ran to check the target b/c we had not brought the spotting scope and I figured I missed the entire board due to the load change. I Found the hole in the tape and returned to be pleasantly surprised by the final group.

[Linked Image]

Have not had a chance to get the calipers out yet to measure, but from a quick look with my carpenter's square in my truck, looks to be about 0.5 - 0.6" . Chrono read an avg of 2598 fps, hoping to keep this accuracy and move up to 2700 - 2725 or so. But I am now quite optimistic about further load development in this rifle. All this on top of being thoroughly impressed with Winchester's new product. I had handled and shot family members Pre 64's and owned a 270 XTR and CT 7mmRM blue/synth push feed and felt OK about the former but underwhelmed by the latter.

Just figured I'd share some fun news from a brief range session with a new rifle grin
This rig might just get the nod for WY 'lopes this fall if it keeps behaving like this!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
tdn: Good for you....no surprise. That's what they do wink
The new FN Model 70s are well worth a look. They are good shooters.
Posted By: ingwe Re: New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
Yep...I just posted something similar a couple days ago...very pleased with the new SC guns...better than ever!

( Gotta throw that in for the pre-64 " Star Wars Convention" crowd... whistle )

grin
Posted By: TDN Re: New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
Thanks guys.
Having heard all the good reports around here and elsewhere I had good expectations, but there is always that nagging thought of "what if they just got lucky?" grin
Gonna run some faster loads of the BT's and some BTSP's this weekend and hoping for more of the same.

ingwe- I have a cousin like that, he swears those Tatooine made Pre-64's will never be topped grin
Nice group, and no doubt the new M70's are very nice rifles. I wouldn't mind owning one and them seem to receive excellent reviews....

And as far as the "old' Model 70's;

You guys are right as the 'Riflemans Rifle' is just a fad for us Star War folks.....

Maybe someday I'll get serious and try to develop some hand loads for my old M70 '06 as I'm having trouble getting good groups with factory cartridges.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ingwe
Yep...I just posted something similar a couple days ago...very pleased with the new SC guns...better than ever!

( Gotta throw that in for the pre-64 " Star Wars Convention" crowd... whistle )

grin

I have a pre-64 turned into a full custom 257WBY, and am a big proponent of those rifles but would hunt the world happily ever after with just a couple of the new Model 70's. Built on what I had at the time, but consider the new CRF model 70's including the NH CRF's to be superior. Got to give an SC Gun a try soon. Wonder if they will ever chamber it in 257WBY....
Posted By: Tonk Re: New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
Well that kind of story is not knew to me, as I been using model 70 Winchesters for many decades now and that is the only thing I will shoot on big game other than deer or antelope.

I use my lever guns for deer and black bear and hogs but the big stuff get the attention of my model 70's. All my big bore rifles are model 70 winchesters, though some have had different barrels put on them etc. A great rifle and one you can certainly depend on in a tight spot.
Posted By: aheider Re: New M70: Pleasant Surprise - 06/03/11
I am having the same luck with my new 70 Featherweight in .270 Win. Very pleased!
Originally Posted by Oldfenderguy
Nice group, and no doubt the new M70's are very nice rifles. I wouldn't mind owning one and them seem to receive excellent reviews....

And as far as the "old' Model 70's;

You guys are right as the 'Riflemans Rifle' is just a fad for us Star War folks.....

Maybe someday I'll get serious and try to develop some hand loads for my old M70 '06 as I'm having trouble getting good groups with factory cartridges.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I guess I'm a star wars convention guy too blush (no not really). In the eyes of a pig we may be grin. Oldfenderguy, I think you'd be happy with one of the new ones. Just don't expect it to shoot as good as your pre 64. I've got a new 308 fwt and it is a great shooter, but my pre 64 will outshoot it on any given day.
These new Model 70s are very nice rifles. Handled a bunch and shot a couple of them now. I think I would put them on par with the Sako's that are out there.
© 24hourcampfire